Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

i have notes on criminal that i passed with first time if anybody would be willing to swap for Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FEnewbee

Fe7 wrote: »
    I am looking at the criminal grid right now, I haven't jumped into it at all yet. However it looks like a lot of subjects to cover and all more or less on recent exams. I am curious as to why people generally vouch that its one of the easier ones? From the outset it looks as daunting as EU or cons!

It is pretty easy to spot what each question is asking and since questions are mixed, it can basically all come up. As long as you cover the whole course you have a good chance of passing I think. Covering all of any course can be daunting of course but since it is a smaller course I found that goal was actually achievable as opposed to the likes of EU or Constitutional. Start in good time, use the exam papers and reports so you learn how to spot issues/see how the examiner asks certain things and it becomes a lot less scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I am looking at the criminal grid right now, I haven't jumped into it at all yet. However it looks like a lot of subjects to cover and all more or less on recent exams. I am curious as to why people generally vouch that its one of the easier ones? From the outset it looks as daunting as EU or cons!

Reasons criminal is easy:

1. Answers are much more obvious and harder to go completely wrong, anyone knows when something is sexual assault or if it's murder - don't need a legal background. If I showed a past problem question to nearly anyone they could probably guess the crimes involved.

2. Cases are full of high stakes drama and thin on very dry abstract legal principles.

3. Vast majority of cases are DPP v Criminaldude or R v Britishcriminaldude so there's half as much to remember case name wise.

4. Loads of stuff to read in newspapers etc on it as it's juicy drama. DPP v Quirke made the front page of the indo with "QUIRKE GUILTY", no other explanation needed. So much stuff to read and explained in such easy language.

5. Crime begets crime, super easy to spoof once you spot one crime. Often there are loads of ways to skin a cat.

6. Also some of it overlaps with tort & constitutional.

Definitely the easiest maybe cos it the least boring, Property is just the most predictable imho but in pure content it was the easiest. More to cover cos he loves the mixing. Genuinely a walk in the park compared to EU and Constitutional. Now again maybe I'm overestimating the value of not being mind-numblingly boring like some of the topics in the other exams.......

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Reasons criminal is easy:

1. Answers are much more obvious and harder to go completely wrong, anyone knows when something is sexual assault or if it's murder - don't need a legal background. If I showed a past problem question to nearly anyone they could probably guess the crimes involved.

2. Cases are full of high stakes drama and thin on very dry abstract legal principles.

3. Vast majority of cases are DPP v Criminaldude or R v Britishcriminaldude so there's half as much to remember case name wise.

4. Loads of stuff to read in newspapers etc on it as it's juicy drama. DPP v Quirke made the front page of the indo with "QUIRKE GUILTY", no other explanation needed. So much stuff to read and explained in such easy language.

5. Crime begets crime, super easy to spoof once you spot one crime. Often there are loads of ways to skin a cat.

6. Also some of it overlaps with tort & constitutional.

Definitely the easiest maybe cos it the least boring, Property is just the most predictable imho but in pure content it was the easiest. More to cover cos he loves the mixing. Genuinely a walk in the park compared to EU and Constitutional. Now again maybe I'm overestimating the value of not being mind-numblingly boring like some of the topics in the other exams.......

But both European and Property ask the same questions (adverse possession and individual concern) at every single sitting. Criminal requires you to cover every single topic. I found criminal and contract the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JoeBloggs1

Would anyone have a copy of the Companies Act 2014 that they are willing to sell? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭phildub

JoeBloggs1 wrote: »
    Would anyone have a copy of the Companies Act 2014 that they are willing to sell? Thanks.

Get back to me after the results are out if you're still looking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Lealaw wrote: »
    Out of interest what podcasts would you listen to for constitutional? :)

Would like to know this too please 😂

Constitutional is my last and I just sat it so hopefully I’m beyond but I hated it so any prep for March is appreciated 🀙ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Spreece wrote: »
    But both European and Property ask the same questions (adverse possession and individual concern) at every single sitting. Criminal requires you to cover every single topic. I found criminal and contract the hardest.

I get you on contract, 100% agree. Mixed course, but I had a terrible approach to studying it.

Both EU and Property quite frankly has the same topics every year, not just AP / individual concern.

Property is easy by the logic that no second spent studying it is wasted cos you only need to know the bare minimum of topics inside out, no random extra topics.

Criminal just isn't hard. Bar UCD (cos they're crazy idk), everywhere that does law does it in first year. Some places push EU into third year, I've never heard of anyone starting law and starting with EU, that would just be madness.

Criminal is just way easier to grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

Thanks all for your explanations! Super helpful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1179065/

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/lawyer-training-duopoly-to-be-broken-by-legal-services-regulatory-authority-39764411.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/1.4412993.html

Guys what do we make of the above articles published TODAY! will they abolish the fe1s for people who have law degrees or is this just wishful thinking?

Interesting reading all the same

• Advertisement

rickmatt wrote: »
    Would like to know this too please 😂

Constitutional is my last and I just sat it so hopefully I’m beyond but I hated it so any prep for March is appreciated 🀙ðŸ»

Sorry guys I didn’t have any specifics in mind - obviously getting ahead of myself with my good intentions of study and so will probably be harder than I thought to find a podcast - wishful thinking! My main focus pre-manual is gonna be on following constitutional academics on twitter and keeping up with their articles etc. There’s a constitutional Ireland blog which I think looks like a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Law20213 wrote: »
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1179065/

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/lawyer-training-duopoly-to-be-broken-by-legal-services-regulatory-authority-39764411.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/1.4412993.html

Guys what do we make of the above articles published TODAY! will they abolish the fe1s for people who have law degrees or is this just wishful thinking?

Interesting reading all the same

Sounds like it could certainly be a possibility. Can't see it being done any time soon, however!

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Sounds like it could certainly be a possibility. Can't see it being done any time soon, however!

https://www.lsra.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Section-34-ET-Final-Report-to-Minister.pdf

Here’s the official report!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

I get you on contract, 100% agree. Mixed course, but I had a terrible approach to studying it.

Both EU and Property quite frankly has the same topics every year, not just AP / individual concern.

Property is easy by the logic that no second spent studying it is wasted cos you only need to know the bare minimum of topics inside out, no random extra topics.

Criminal just isn't hard. Bar UCD (cos they're crazy idk), everywhere that does law does it in first year. Some places push EU into third year, I've never heard of anyone starting law and starting with EU, that would just be madness.

Criminal is just way easier to grasp.

_________

I went to NUIG and we did criminal in 2nd year back in 2015/16!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

Thanks. Somewhat bittersweet for most of us on this thread at the moment because the FE1’s are unlikely to be replaced in time for us, and any changes to Blackhall would presumably take a long time to occur. However, given the seemingly overwhelming view of most people who have have gone through so much stress by the approach of the Law Society, it is very encouraging to see their monopoly and blatant fee generator being snatched before their eyes.

Maybe now future lawyers will be encouraged to join a more dynamic profession that caters to the needs of clients and firms (in terms of teaching relevant and changing areas of law) rather than to the wishes of the Law Society.

bluerthanu wrote: »
    Thanks. Somewhat bittersweet for most of us on this thread at the moment because the FE1’s are unlikely to be replaced in time for us, and any changes to Blackhall would presumably take a long time to occur. However, given the seemingly overwhelming view of most people who have have gone through so much stress by the approach of the Law Society, it is very encouraging to see their monopoly and blatant fee generator being snatched before their eyes.

Maybe now future lawyers will be encouraged to join a more dynamic profession that caters to the needs of clients and firms (in terms of teaching relevant and changing areas of law) rather than to the wishes of the Law Society.

Agreed likely to have no effect for numbers of years but would welcome fe1 exemptions for future law graduates similar to what’s already been afforded to accounting, tax and actuarial studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

"It also recommended the establishment of an independent Legal Practitioner Education and Training Committee, which would set a competency framework for education and training. The committee would ensure adherence to standards on an ongoing basis, and would also scrutinise and accredit new providers."

Sounds like the death of the Law Society's bad management of these exams.

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some advice. I want to take the Fe1s sometime next year. I scraped a 2.1 in Maynooth in 2013 and now I think I'll have a go at the Fe1s.

How many exams should one consider taking at a time? I was thinking maybe two but then again I haven't a clue where to start.

How many questions should I prepare for each exam and where can I get exam material?

Thanks

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    "It also recommended the establishment of an independent Legal Practitioner Education and Training Committee, which would set a competency framework for education and training. The committee would ensure adherence to standards on an ongoing basis, and would also scrutinise and accredit new providers."

Sounds like the death of the Law Society's bad management of these exams.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/lack-of-compelling-evidence-for-solicitor-barrister-unification/

Of course there own article reads differently and makes no reference to fe1 reforms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Does anybody know how long it usually takes to implement these reforms?

• Advertisement

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Does anybody know how long it usually takes to implement these reforms?

I said reforms it’s probably best called fe1 recommendations from the LSRA. The society isn’t bound to implement them I don’t think but if they don’t change soon new providers can now come on stream and offer legal education and training it would appear from the above report, essentially ending the monopoly of it all.

No idea how long it will take to change things but they can’t ignore at this point as they may loose out on revenue if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paburke3

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some advice. I want to take the Fe1s sometime next year. I scraped a 2.1 in Maynooth in 2013 and now I think I'll have a go at the Fe1s.

How many exams should one consider taking at a time? I was thinking maybe two but then again I haven't a clue where to start.

How many questions should I prepare for each exam and where can I get exam material?

Thanks

Most people, but not all, do 4 per sitting. It depends on the time that you can dedicate and your own capabilities. Also it depends on how quick you want to get into the Law society.
    If you start next March with 2 exams and then continue doing 2 it will be September 2023 before you can enroll and that's if you pass them all.

As for how many questions, that depends on the exam, some have guaranteed questions you need to cover, some require you to study the entire FE1 syllabus. And people usually start with exam grids and cover each topic.

You can get exam grids off people here. pm and i can give you some more info about how to find that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

I said reforms it’s probably best called fe1 recommendations from the LSRA. The society isn’t bound to implement them I don’t think but if they don’t change soon new providers can now come on stream and offer legal education and training it would appear from the above report, essentially ending the monopoly of it all.

No idea how long it will take to change things but they can’t ignore at this point as they may loose out on revenue if they do.

I just have this thought in my mind of it being years and years later before any developments are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

CRIMINAL

Has anyone 2019/2020 exams, SA or examiner reports? I have up to 2018.
    I have ample things in other topics so give me a shout as well if I can help with anything you might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 FE1Rookies

CRIMINAL

Has anyone 2019/2020 exams, SA or examiner reports? I have up to 2018.
    I have ample things in other topics so give me a shout as well if I can help with anything you might need.

I have 2019 exam papers and reports if that is any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Hi Guys

Thanks

It depends. If it's been a few years since you've studied and you're not in a rush to get the FE1's done within a short time frame, you could ease yourself in with 2 or 3 the first set... but that realistically means you'll be doing at least 3 sittings overall.

With regards to materials, if you are in a position to do a prep course I would recommend it, but they are quite expensive. That would give you your manuals, lecture notes, access to past papers/examiner reports etc. so you wouldn't need any other materials except permitted legislation. If you can't do a prep course you'd probably need to try and get your hands on some manuals as they are cheaper than text books and specifically tailored to the FE1 exam, and then you'd need to update it yourself with new cases.

In terms of how many questions to prepare it totally depends on the subject. For instance, EU is quite a predictable paper and you could get away with preparing 5-6 topics well for the exam, whereas with the likes of tort/ criminal you need to have a general idea of everything (all the topics, but at a more basic level). My personal thoughts are that the subjects from easiest to hardest are: property, company, criminal, equity, contract, EU, tort, constitutional (but it's subjective).

If you're unsure about the subjects etc. it might be helpful to look at the city colleges night before notes, they have a free lecture for each subject available on their website, it's intended to watch after you have all the learning done, the 'night before' your exam, but it could be helpful to have a look to see what type of topics are examinable: https://citycolleges.ie/night-before-notes-2020/

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

I would generally wait until after Christmas, I am hoping I only have one left though but it’s constitutional so might do a bit of background reading/podcast listening beforehand

COMPANY LAW

anyone looking for updated materials PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hi , just wondering how far in advance of PPC1 did people get their results from the August sitting? I know they were released sooner. I just cant remember how soon. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Hi folks, as the Autumn sitting was a bit later this time around do people think the LS will stick carrying the spring sitting in early March as usual or will they perhaps push it to maybe April? Also, would anyone happen to know the Qs that came up for Constitutional & Company? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Anyone had any word from the LS on when to expect results?

Unlikely but...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement