Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Not much life on here considering we have a massive all Ireland semi in 48 hours . Gonna be tough but I always fancy us more when we underdogs . Team named tonight hard to see too many changes . Possible to see tuohy come in at midfield for Burke or coen and keep which ever drops for last 25 . I have doubts over McInerney been exposed for pace would like to see joe Cooney to 6 and bring somebody else to half forward line maybe Niall Burke but doubt that will happen ..who knows though he wasn’t afraid 2 make big calls last week withdrawing his 2 midfielders at half time .limerick look good but if we play as well as we can we will take beating too . Gaillimh Abu !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

team i hope to see
    murphy
    harte
    daithi
    shane cooney
    gmac
    joe cooney
    fintan burke
    p mannion
    touhy
    joe canning
    c mannion
    conor cooney
    flynn
    whelan
    concannon
    P mannion will act as a fourth half back, cathal to come into midfield and jason flynn brought to the half forward line touhy will pick up lynch, joe cooney on hegarty, keeping lynch and hegarty quiet will be vitally important. i would love to see us go after hannon and dan morrisey, hannon is only good on lose ball and the midfield are always protecting him. Morrisey isn't a full back and i think if whelan got a run at him, he will be in trouble. The winning and losing of the game will be in the middle 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

cosatron wrote: »
    team i hope to see
    murphy
    harte
    daithi
    shane cooney
    gmac
    joe cooney
    fintan burke
    p mannion
    touhy
    joe canning
    c mannion
    conor cooney
    flynn
    whelan
    concannon
    P mannion will act as a fourth half back, cathal to come into midfield and jason flynn brought to the half forward line touhy will pick up lynch, joe cooney on hegarty, keeping lynch and hegarty quiet will be vitally important. i would love to see us go after hannon and dan morrisey, hannon is only good on lose ball and the midfield are always protecting him. Morrisey isn't a full back and i think if whelan got a run at him, he will be in trouble. The winning and losing of the game will be in the middle 8

Flynn won't win any ball in half forward line. Niall B will prob start ahead of him

Robson99 wrote: »
    Flynn won't win any ball in half forward line. Niall B will prob start ahead of him

i would use flynn for his pace and run at hannon. His a clever player flynn and picks up nice positions on the field.

i would use flynn for his pace and run at hannon. His a clever player flynn and picks up nice positions on the field.

Can't see him winning enough dirty ball to trouble hannon.
    Needs to be playing in the FF line

• Advertisement

Can't see him winning enough dirty ball to trouble hannon.
    Needs to be playing in the FF line

i don't think we will see allot of long puckouts and if we do go long it will be to conor cooney or canning. We could possible see david burke instead of flynn, i doubt he will start n burke but i could wrong. I just hope we hurl to the best of our ability,2018 wasn't the best we can hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

I would rather not see Flynn at all. Burke works harder than him and doesn't drop the head when the first two balls go against him. Better under a high ball too.

P Mannion to pick up Lynch and Cooney on Hegarty. Mannion being a natural defender will be ideal for picking up Lynch and has the hurling to match him. Cooney has the size, strength and hurling to match Hegarty. Cathal M can drag Hannon around the place and run at him when the opportunity arises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Tribe Talk Podcast: Galway v Limerick.

All-Ireland semi-final preview show with Chunky back in the hot seat once again. Match-ups, tactics & much, much more discussed on this week’s episode. Check it out ahead of what promises to be another huge week for Shane O’Neill’s side.

Soundcloud: https://tinyurl.com/y48ygpbn

Spotify: https://tinyurl.com/y2gjeu34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Same team as the last day.

• Advertisement

Limerick team attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Good to see David Burke restored to starting 15. He probably doesn't have a full 70 in him, soo Flynn can replace him around 55mins. He played very deep the last day. Be better to see him play around the middle. He's a pretty accurate shooter from distance.

Touhy can probably feel hard done by, he was very impressive when he came on the last day. But good to have him in reserve.

Its cliche at this point, but its more than a 15 man game. Every team needs subs who can add something new and change things up, if required.

Its gonna be a hell of an ask to beat Limerick....but at the same time, we are certainly capable of doing it....Gallimh Abu

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Good to see David Burke restored to starting 15. He probably doesn't have a full 70 in him, soo Flynn can replace him around 55mins. He played very deep the last day. Be better to see him play around the middle. He's a pretty accurate shooter from distance.

Touhy can probably feel hard done by, he was very impressive when he came on the last day. But good to have him in reserve.

Its cliche at this point, but its more than a 15 man game. Every team needs subs who can add something new and change things up, if required.

Its gonna be a hell of an ask to beat Limerick....but at the same time, we are certainly capable of doing it....Gallimh Abu

Wouldn't take the 2 named teams as being defo starting 15. More a case of giving the media 15 names and cat and mouse.
    Can see Touhy starting instead of Coen and possibly One other change

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Wouldn't take the 2 named teams as being defo starting 15. More a case of giving the media 15 names and cat and mouse.
    Can see Touhy starting instead of Coen and possibly One other change

No they ll be the two teams that start. O Neill and Kiely would be similar in that regard. None of that Davy Fitz dummy teams garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

BloodyBill wrote: »
    No they ll be the two teams that start. O Neill and Kiely would be similar in that regard. None of that Davy Fitz dummy teams garbage
    Clare and Tipp did it last week, its pretty common, Clare actually
    had 3 changes in there last 2 games,Dublin footballers most renowned for it in the last decade.

Hopefully Burke plays as a 3rd midfielder leaving a 2 man half forward line. He is an additional option for a mid range puck out and if his man follows him it'll leave space for the full forward line to come foraging for ball. It also makes it more difficult for Limerick to play through the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Can't say anything like that for definite and o Neill hasn't been in the county game long enough to know if its his form or not. Too much at stake here and expect there to be one or two changes as nobody will want to give an inch in this battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

mjp wrote: »
    Can't say anything like that for definite and o Neill hasn't been in the county game long enough to know if its his form or not. Too much at stake here and expect there to be one or two changes as nobody will want to give an inch in this battle.

Well I'm fairly familiar with Shane O Neill from school and Na Piarsaigh. He just would see dummy teams as beneath him. We all grew up with rugby being tbe main sport around is and a dummy team would never ever be acceptable in that game. Kiely just wouldn't do it either. Its a matter of integrity..Its childish carry on. Davy Fitz loves it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Soo..... on a lighter note.

We have three Cooney's and three Burke's starting tomorrow.

And bothers Padraic & Cathal Mannion.

Are either of the Cooney's or Burkes related?

Joseph & Conor Cooney cousins?? right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wish me luck tomorrow lads. Watching it as the sole Galwegian in a house full of Limerick-ians(?!), one who used to play on the Limerick squad.

• Advertisement

Well I'm fairly familiar with Shane O Neill from school and Na Piarsaigh. He just would see dummy teams as beneath him. We all grew up with rugby being tbe main sport around is and a dummy team would never ever be acceptable in that game. Kiely just wouldn't do it either. Its a matter of integrity..Its childish carry on. Davy Fitz loves it..
    Beneath him? What planet are you on?? They weren't beneath Jim Gavin, he'd even do it for a leinster 1st round against Carlow

Soo..... on a lighter note.

We have three Cooney's and three Burke's starting tomorrow.

And bothers Padraic & Cathal Mannion.

Are either of the Cooney's or Burkes related?

Joseph & Conor Cooney cousins?? right?

conor and shane cooney are brothers from St Thomas's no relation to joseph cooney from sarsfield
    david and fintan burke are cousins from St Thomas's no relation to Diathi Burke from Turloughmore

conor and shane cooney are brothers from St Thomas's no relation to joseph cooney from sarsfield
    david and fintan burke are cousins from St Thomas's no relation to Diathi Burke from Turloughmore

Isn't Whelan related to Conor Cooney. His cousin i think.

threeball wrote: »
    Isn't Whelan related to Conor Cooney. His cousin i think.

No don’t think so . He was a first cousin of Niall donoughe that played in all Ireland final few years ago that died

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Really looking forward to four o'clock now. Limerick are obviously a fearsome team but it should be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Comes down to a few key matchups for me. Gillane vs. Daithi, Hegarty vs. Cooney, Lynch vs. P. Mannion I'm guessing. Galway can break close to even here then there is a platform built. I've a feeling Hannon and Canning will both play their games. Where I think this game is won with Galway is C. Mannion Concannon and especially Whelan. Two of these three hit 8 or 9 outta ten performances I think Galway have a massive shout. For Limerick Flanagan, Mulcahy or O Donavan shoot the lights out we'll be on the back foot.

It's a given but the fatal errors leading to goals can't happen again today.

grbear wrote: »
    Really looking forward to four o'clock now. Limerick are obviously a fearsome team but it should be a great game.

Don't fear them at all. IF we play to our full potential we win

We are being written off by most . Always fancy us when we are like that more then when we favourites . On our day we won’t be beaten . Let’s hope today is one of them days .

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Think huge part of galways success will come down to what forwards show up. Guaranteed to get strong showing from Canning and Whelan most days and Brian Concannon been strong all year. In order for us to win today we need Conor Cooney to contribute on the scoreboard and bring in his club form for Thomas's and form from 2017 . An early score can settle him and be massive for his confidence. Was evident from the few wides he missed against wexford how it frustrated him and could also see this disappointment when he took off helmet after being subbed. Management know he has it in him hence why they have been so loyal to him but he has to deliver on the scoreboard. If we can cathal mannion into the game and on scoreboard early he has potential to shoot the lights out similar to way waterford went in 2nd half yesterday. Seen chunky hayes mention it on tribetalk podcast but also feel galway could do with throwing canning in at 14 and rotate with whelan/Concannon to target inexperience in limerick full back line . Space will be hard got in middle third with that area being a dogfight hence why placing canning in full forward line for some time could prove fruitful

• Advertisement

Loftus starting instead of Fintan Burke

Advertisement