Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Loftus starting instead of Fintan Burke

Will he become the sweeper. Wouldn't like to see him in corner back ,- he had a lot of trouble in there against Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Well I'm fairly familiar with Shane O Neill from school and Na Piarsaigh. He just would see dummy teams as beneath him. We all grew up with rugby being tbe main sport around is and a dummy team would never ever be acceptable in that game. Kiely just wouldn't do it either. Its a matter of integrity..Its childish carry on. Davy Fitz loves it..

Shane o Neill with a " childish" late change to Galway team. You obviously don't know him that well !! He's in with the big boys now and will do what you have to do to win.

This is a carbon copy of 2018 in terms of puck outs.
    We learned nothing.

If we have a spare man in our FB line, we need to use him but have a plan of where he goes.
    If we go long they have an extra man down the field.

We have no plan for the shorts and we're losing the long.

Then they're pucking it short and strolling out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Need goals to win this and limerick look the more likely to score them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I'm.loving the sideline cuts

• Advertisement

Random a story was talking to my Limerick mate said Joe Canning lives there and is after buying a house for 3/4 Million..he must be making crazy money

Those two injuries are likely critical. Hard to beat Waterford if you're down Canning and Mannion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

That was fücking annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Ah look shur Limerick were the better side overall and congrats to them. They hit a bomb of wides like ourselves but the sweeper we deployed worked more in their favour. We lost a huge amount of long-range puckouts clean to Limerick.

A positive year imo. Niland is better than Conor Cooney, Niall Burke and Jayo so it's time to say thanks to those 3 but we need to move on to younger hungrier lads like Niland/Ja Mannion/Kevin Cooney.

Murphy will get slated by our own for sure but puckouts only work if the receiver is able to pull their weight, which didn't happen. Don't get me wrong he hit a couple direct to Limerick forwards and one over the sideline but he kept us in the game with 4 great saves. Not one player was competing for puckouts in the Limerick 45 all game.

Hoping Joe Canning gives it another season if possible. They were saying it's just a bad concussion so he'll be grand but he's had a lot of wear and tear since 2016. The greatest player I've had the pleasure of following in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Hard luck . Ye could have snuck it. Missed Joe's experience in the last 10..but ye never threatened a goal. I felt Galway were going to finally click after Limericks wides but they just couldn't push on. I honestly think O Neill will get more out of you in 2021. There was so many mistakes in that game...the puck outs near the end murdered ye. To be honest we wouldn't come within 5 of Waterford playing like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is David Burke injured or playing with an injury?

He had been subbed at half time in the last 2 matches

Always rated him highly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hopefully Joe will be all right thats the most important thing, you couldn't meet a nicer lad to to talk to off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Felt we never got going. Don't know why we played a sweeper against Limerick. Makes no sense. The threat comes from further out and we were well capable of going msn on man inside if we put pressure on the delivery. Should have played a 3rd midfielder rather than a sweeper. Our puck outs were chronically poor. Cost us at least 6 easy scores.
    Limerick were comfortable once they got going. Never really thought we'd win it even when we drew level. Concannon and Niland the brighter side of the display. Both look like stars of the future. Hopefully Joe's knock is just that and nothing more serious. I'd rather no injury and a loss than a win and him come off worse. He was in the wars today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Disappointing to say the least. Hegarty should have got the line but like the Leinster do al we got no rub of the green from the ref.
    Think this panel missed the second AI in 2018.
    Big rebuild required.
    Murphy will improve. Had the balls to go short. He will improve.
    Harte, Coen and David Burke have given great service but think their time is up.
    Mcinerney, Conor Cooney, Flynn, Niall Burke have not reached the heights of 17 since then and we need to move on from them ( though Burke would have been a much better option than David Burke today ) Hopefully Joe gives it another year, though it maybe more for his experience than getting 70 mins out of him.
    Need two corner backs . Possibly Morrisey and Brennan.
    PM back at 5, Shane Cooney at 6 ( though needs to improve) and F Burke at 7
    C Mannion and Loftus/ Touhy at 8 and 9.
    J Cooney Whelan K Cooney 10,11 &12
    Ja Mannion, Concannon, Niland/ JC 13,14,15
    Think it will be 22 before we are challenging again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any news on Joe Canning?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Any news on Joe Canning?

Just a concussion apparently. No further injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

threeball wrote: »
    Just a concussion apparently. No further injury.

Wish him all the best. It didn't really happen today for Joe in open play but his sideline cuts were superb. In all fairness its the Limerick half backs that won it for them . Byrnes and Hayes are extremely effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

Robson99 wrote: »
    Disappointing to say the least. Hegarty should have got the line but like the Leinster do al we got no rub of the green from the ref.
    Think this panel missed the second AI in 2018.
    Big rebuild required.
    Murphy will improve. Had the balls to go short. He will improve.
    Harte, Coen and David Burke have given great service but think their time is up.
    Mcinerney, Conor Cooney, Flynn, Niall Burke have not reached the heights of 17 since then and we need to move on from them ( though Burke would have been a much better option than David Burke today ) Hopefully Joe gives it another year, though it maybe more for his experience than getting 70 mins out of him.
    Need two corner backs . Possibly Morrisey and Brennan.
    PM back at 5, Shane Cooney at 6 ( though needs to improve) and F Burke at 7
    C Mannion and Loftus/ Touhy at 8 and 9.
    J Cooney Whelan K Cooney 10,11 &12
    Ja Mannion, Concannon, Niland/ JC 13,14,15
    Think it will be 22 before we are challenging again

Great post. very proud of the lads today, losing mannion early on was huge. O Niell learnt allot today about his players and hopefully will make the changes as mentioned above. We have a good core of a team just need to freshen it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

cosatron wrote: »
    Great post. very proud of the lads today, losing mannion early on was huge. O Niell learnt allot today about his players and hopefully will make the changes as mentioned above. We have a good core of a team just need to freshen it up

Mannion going off was huge. Really missed his ability to pick off scores and set up scores. He was badly missed.

Wonder will Joe stay on ?He is battered over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

sasta le wrote: »

No fear of him retiring yet. Few more years left in him yet and will be encouraged with the squad around him and feel that there's another all ireland in this squad.

Following on from today's performance I feel that an aspect of our game that need to work on over next year is the short running game where work the ball through the lines. Had to play that style for a lot of today to get around limericks style of play but it was obvious that we weren't overly comfortable with it and our execution of game wasn't to standard you see from wexford waterford and limerick. If we Improve that side of our game we can mix our gameplan depending on who we come up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Bit of a revamp needed but SON has no bias towards some big names as he pulled David Burke off early twice. So if we've the same panel next year it's cos they're the best in the county. Which mightn't bode well, but still....
    Coen played well today, I'd hold onto him. Need more scoring power, concannon and Whelan were unmarkable today when under huge pressure but got no ball for large chunks of the match. Conor cooney can't buy a score, dunno where he should end up. His confidence shooting is gone. Need corner backs, not converted wing backs. A more mobile centre back, Joseph cooney maybe. And need to blood forwards in the league. If niland and concannon are the future, they're not 6'2 monsters so the gameplan has to be about finding the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

JC won't retire. He is only about 15 or 16 points off Henry Shefflin's all time scoring record which I reckon he will beat in 2 or 3 games.
    JC has a few good years left in him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

sasta le wrote: »

He's 14 points behind Shefflin's scoring record. He'll stay on for another year at least. Maybe two. He will probably break the record in two more games.

I could see David Burke calling it a day. A brilliant servant and was the best midfielder in the country for a few years there but he's been taken off early twice now. The legs aren't quite there to be starting games any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

On the one hand we were lucky to be level deep into injury time, but, on the other hand if we'd had a little more composure throughout the game we could have won it, while Limerick were in control for most of the game, I think they were there for the taking at the end, we just let in a few too many soft points. Mannion was a huge loss going off so early, usually good for a few points and creating chances for others, so could have made the difference. Disappointing that we had absolutely no goal threat at all today, especially after last week against Tipp, it's something this team needs to start doing if they want to win another All Ireland. Hopefully Joe is alright and is back next year to break Shefflin's record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Strange sort of game. Thought it was a bit flat and both teams trying to cancel each other out. Limerick were the better team but they'd have to be concerned at their inability to close out a game when on top. They allowed Galway to hang in there.

From a Galway perspective with a few changes we'll still be in the top 3 or 4 next year. It's clear that Conor Cooney is finished at this level and maybe David Burke and Gearoid McInerney aswell. Positives are the emergence of Brian Concannon as a class forward and the continued excellence of Whelan. We got it wrong tactically today though, so hopefully Shane O'Neill will learn from that. Limerick played so much of the game on their terms and that shouldn't happen. Playing a sweeper played right into Limerick's hands and their half back line just mopped up ball all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Strange sort of game. Thought it was a bit flat and both teams trying to cancel each other out. Limerick were the better team but they'd have to be concerned at their inability to close out a game when on top. They allowed Galway to hang in there.

From a Galway perspective with a few changes we'll still be in the top 3 or 4 next year. It's clear that Conor Cooney is finished at this level and maybe David Burke and Gearoid McInerney aswell. Positives are the emergence of Brian Concannon as a class forward and the continued excellence of Whelan. We got it wrong tactically today though, so hopefully Shane O'Neill will learn from that. Limerick played so much of the game on their terms and that shouldn't happen. Playing a sweeper played right into Limerick's hands and their half back line just mopped up ball all day long.

Conor has lost the ability to even hit a point or two these days. When he does get a chance he flakes it wide. Hard to believe after some of the glorious scores he regularly hit in 2017. He's still only 28 but I'm not sure what you do with him now. Or how to get him going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

everyone is talking about morrisey and hegarty getting there points with the majority of them handed to them on a plate due to galway mistakes but what about concannon and whelan getting 3 points a piece on sh*t ball and had to work like dogs to get them. This match kinda of reminds of the semi final 2016, big injury early on to a key player and the team fought valiantly to the end but lost by a point. The one positive out of it is we have a hell of a preseason done for next year and im very confident going into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

Conor has lost the ability to even hit a point or two these days. When he does get a chance he flakes it wide. Hard to believe after some of the glorious scores he regularly hit in 2017. He's still only 28 but I'm not sure what you do with him now. Or how to get him going again.

I can't work Conor Cooney out.

Is it just me or does his motivation or desire levels seem low as in he doesn't really go for the ball or get stuck into general play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

conor05 wrote: »
    I can't work Conor Cooney out.

Is it just me or does his motivation or desire levels seem low as in he doesn't really go for the ball or get stuck into general play?

Maybe he just needs a good rest. Thomas's have won 3 County titles in a row. Its been constant go for the likes of him and David Burke since 2017 at club and county. Mentally no break either. Both might need some time and might get it now. Obviously they not at 2017 levels but they are better than they showed the last 2 years too.

Think Limerick are miles ahead of all teams and that will be borne out against Waterford. Physically you hear about Galway matching Limerick.....not a contest anymore. Limerick have surpassed them in that facet too. Did well to stick with them as long as we did yesterday. 15 v 15 would have been a massacre I think.

Advertisement