Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demon's Souls - PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Incredible game thus far. Haven't been able to put a huge amount of time into it but just cleared boss in 2-1 handy enough. Only boss so far of the 3 I haven't beaten first time round is 1-2
    Giant Knight. Couldn't time his attacks.

Shouldn't have opened my mouth
    Poxy Flamelurker

Actually the whole 2-2 world is challenging. Got lost in them mines and felt like Hoggle in Labyrinth. Was half expecting Bowie to show up behind one of those fat BearBugs

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Actually the whole 2-2 world is challenging. Got lost in them mines and felt like Hoggle in Labyrinth. Was half expecting Bowie to show up behind one of those fat BearBugs
    It's a bit of a pain, especially because of
    those annoying bugbears
    . Those little glowy stones you can throw down on the ground to mark your progress are really handy in that area, I think they're called augites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Finally got back to this last night and made some progress. Haven't beaten any bosses other than Phalanx, but opened up some shortcuts in other levels. Have a +4 Claymore now as well which is great, anyone know how I should go about upgrading it? Do I just keep going to +10?

Is it possible to make it scale with magic AND strength? I'm mostly strength but I have soul arrow equipped too and its great fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Markitron wrote: »
    Finally got back to this last night and made some progress. Haven't beaten any bosses other than Phalanx, but opened up some shortcuts in other levels. Have a +4 Claymore now as well which is great, anyone know how I should go about upgrading it? Do I just keep going to +10?

Is it possible to make it scale with magic AND strength? I'm mostly strength but I have soul arrow equipped too and its great fun.

You can upgrade it with moonlightstone or faithstone to add magic.

F1ngers wrote: »
    You can upgrade it with moonlightstone or faithstone to add magic.

Will that have any negative impact on just using it for standard attacks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You are basically changing how it will scale with your stats. So in this case you are making it scale with less with str/dex but having it scale with int as well rather than just str/dex. So it's better if you are going for a melee build with support magic.

Physical attack won't max out as you are changing weapon to include a magic attack.
    Max physical attack is 210, adding magic maxes physical at about 160 but then adds magic up to 176/149 depending on stones used.

Had a little giggle in Valley of Defilement.
    Got to the Filthy Woman and started to talk to her:

"Won’t you buy something? My poor child is hungry."

Didn't realize I was poisoned and died:
    "Curses! I wasted my breath on you! Did that witch send you to torment me?!"

I know it's an auto response if you don't buy anything, still got a giggle out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hit a wall with the
    maneater boss , nearly killed the first one and the one rekt me
    Playing a standard melee character will get it but reckon it will be due to luck more than anything.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You are basically changing how it will scale with your stats. So in this case you are making it scale with less with str/dex but having it scale with int as well rather than just str/dex. So it's better if you are going for a melee build with support magic.
    F1ngers wrote: »
    Physical attack won't max out as you are changing weapon to include a magic attack.
    Max physical attack is 210, adding magic maxes physical at about 160 but then adds magic up to 176/149 depending on stones used.

Ok thanks, think I get it. Maybe its just me but it seems DeS requires more pre-planning than the other games, I don't want to **** up my build. Gonna keep levelling str/end/vit and upgrading the standard claymore. When I get the upgrade materials to convert it into a magic sword, I'll start putting points into magic and intelligence.

Normally I stick with straight strength builds but I was shocked at how much damage soul arrow did with a starter knight and no points put into magic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can't really mess up a build, everything is viable. But in all the games there are dump stats (usually the ones that grant status effect protection) and min maxing a build is advisable, it's not a game you should be putting points into everything.

They are a little poorly explained but the community is excellent and the wikis explain how things work. Although that was kind of the charm of the original game and getting it from Hong Kong. People helping each other to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Trying to get a gold coin to drop...just do it already :mad:

edit: Posting on Boards.ie in frustration has done the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Had to throw in the towel I dunno how but bloodborne I platinumed LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

biggebruv wrote: »
    Had to throw in the towel I dunno how but bloodborne I platinumed LOL

How far did you get? I was the same with DS 2 and 3. I finished them both in the end but some of the fights had me fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm remembering now that a lot more planning is required in Demon's Souls to make your life easier.
    I did a quick suicide run through 4-1 to get the crescent falchion sword as my Falchion +4 was completely ineffective against the miners in 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,676 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm remembering now that a lot more planning is required in Demon's Souls to make your life easier.
    I did a quick suicide run through 4-1 to get the crescent falchion sword as my Falchion +4 was completely ineffective against the miners in 2-1.

I forgot about that in my ps3 run, think that will be my next stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

Played this for a month on the ps3 before any of dark souls ever came out , tried so hard to get interested in it, could not get used to the mechanic of dying all the time or having to know things like world tendency . Finish a boss after a huge fight ? Next level you'll be oneshotted by something else...sigh.

put it down after that and have never played any of the souls games afterwards as it all looked like the same boring grind ( and yes, there is that git gud bs about it but you know what all I wanted to do was come home after work and play for 30 mins ).

Gimme RE4 or something like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

trellheim wrote: »
    Played this for a month on the ps3 before any of dark souls ever came out , tried so hard to get interested in it, could not get used to the mechanic of dying all the time or having to know things like world tendency . Finish a boss after a huge fight ? Next level you'll be oneshotted by something else...sigh.

put it down after that and have never played any of the souls games afterwards as it all looked like the same boring grind

I think that is what makes the games great :pac:

If you try to rush or take an enemy lightly, you will get punished.

I am making slow progress as I am trying to set myself up before advancing too far in the game. Think I am all sorted now. Levelled up mostly endurance and a little strength, with the strength ring that I got in 1-1 I can now wear full armor with a claymore and I'm still able to fast roll.

With the Claymore and soul arrow I feel like I'm getting a great mix of magic and melee. Once my claymore is +6 I will go for the magic version of it. Gonna alternate between magic/str/vit from now on. Still have only killed Phalanx so have the whole game ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm rocking a +8 Uchigatana, put a fair few hours in. That's usually me being useless and persevering.

Stuck at bosses 1-4 and 3-2, I say stuck but I've only had a go at them once before buggering off and finishing the other worlds.

• Advertisement

Only got an hour of this in last night but managed to kill armour spider and tower knight. Was in human form after killing tower knight so decided to summon someone for the spider. Was loads of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was very pleased to have managed to make it through a half dozen bosses without dying at any of them, until I got to Dragon God in 2-3 and kept getting punched to death while trying to break the obstacles. Got there eventually by just being slow and using ranged attacks to clear the path. Cursed gimmick bosses - technically the easiest boss of all of them so far too :pac:

I was very pleased to have managed to make it through a half dozen bosses without dying at any of them, until I got to Dragon God in 2-3 and kept getting punched to death while trying to break the obstacles. Got there eventually by just being slow and using ranged attacks to clear the path. Cursed gimmick bosses - technically the easiest boss of all of them so far too :pac:

Do I need to use a slashing weapon in 2-2 like I did in 2-1? Miners were a pain with the claymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I'm just one boss down but farming a lot on long sword+4 strength build. I'm level 28

Question... what stats should i invest in as I'm aware the cost per stat addition increases soul cost and it's important not to spec poorly early.. I've just pciked up the Crescent Falchion+1 - Should I drop levelling up my long Sword and focus on this - seems a lot of magic damage attached!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do I need to use a slashing weapon in 2-2 like I did in 2-1? Miners were a pain with the claymore

There are miners, so you’ll need something to take them out easily. But you’ll also want something strong against armoured foes for other parts of the level.

Basically decide what build you want. If you want a big sword then focus on Str. If you want a falchion of smaller sword then dex is the way to go. You can see in the menu how they scale with the stat (S to E). Want to go magic, then invest in int as well. You can also change how your weapon scales with stats by forging it into a different type of weapon so probably best to forge it into something that scales best with your build later.

There is a limit to how weapons scale with each stat. After a certain point the increase won't be as much. So if you want a melee/magic build it might be worth converting the weapon into one that scales better with magic.

So say you have a sword that scales A for dex and C for str. After a certain point investing in dex won't increase damage by very much so you might be better off investing in STR then.

It's all a bit complex but the wiki explains it better.

To be honest this is all more high level stuff and there's no real way to screw yourself over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Basically decide what build you want. If you want a big sword then focus on Str. If you want a falchion of smaller sword then dex is the way to go. You can see in the menu how they scale with the stat (S to E). Want to go magic, then invest in int as well. You can also change how your weapon scales with stats by forging it into a different type of weapon so probably best to forge it into something that scales best with your build later.

There is a limit to how weapons scale with each stat. After a certain point the increase won't be as much. So if you want a melee/magic build it might be worth converting the weapon into one that scales better with magic.

So say you have a sword that scales A for dex and C for str. After a certain point investing in dex won't increase damage by very much so you might be better off investing in STR then.

It's all a bit complex but the wiki explains it better.

To be honest this is all more high level stuff and there's no real way to screw yourself over.

Cheets Mate - Much appreciated - To be fair thats a spot on description of what I need to do and be aware of going forward!

I'm just farming non stop now, leveling up as I go and saving new areas. Loving every minute!

FromSoft have been handed a higher bar for Elden Ring! Would love to know if there was a wave of panic sweep through their work done to date after this DS version was let loose!

sticker wrote: »
    Cheets Mate - Much appreciated - To be fair thats a spot on description of what I need to do and be aware of going forward!

I'm just farming non stop now, leveling up as I go and saving new areas. Loving every minute!

FromSoft have been handed a higher bar for Elden Ring! Would love to know if there was a wave of panic sweep through their work done to date after this DS version was let loose!

Very much doubt it. All Bluepoint did was give the original a lick of paint and the original was so good that nearly 15 years on it's still one of the greatest games ever made.

From only went on to improve on the Demon's formula and surpassed it with the likes of Dark souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro. You could make a strong argument they are far and away the best game developers current making games. If anything it's their later work they will have to try and live up to with Elden ring. But time and again they have met or exceeded it (except Dark Souls 2 but they made up for that with the awesome DLC).

Very much doubt it. All Bluepoint did was give the original a lick of paint and the original was so good that nearly 15 years on it's still one of the greatest games ever made.

From only went on to improve on the Demon's formula and surpassed it with the likes of Dark souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro. You could make a strong argument they are far and away the best game developers current making games. If anything it's their later work they will have to try and live up to with Elden ring. But time and again they have met or exceeded it (except Dark Souls 2 but they made up for that with the awesome DLC).

Does DeS have a drop off at any point? I only played DS when the remaster released in 2018 but I couldn't believe how the quality nosedived in the final 30-40% of the game. I genuinely think it would have been a better game overall if it ended after O+S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How does one summon help?

Also, any tips on a good sword and upgrading it?

I am about 12 hours in but still doing very little damage with melee attacks!! Any pointers please

Advertisement