Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Americans call bacon "Canadian bacon".
    Canadians just call it bacon.

Americans call bacon "bacon"
    Americans call 'back bacon' "Canadian bacon".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

My favourite American English words

Center
    Favorite
    Nite

I mostly use them as I prefer them to the Oxford english

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭trashcan

Zaph wrote: »
    Starvation is preferable to Hershey's.

They sour the milk slightly when making Hershey's, apparently it prolongs the shelf life. It also gives it that weird vomit-like flavour that most American chocolate makers copied because Hershey's was so dominant that it's the taste Americans associate with chocolate.

Hershey’s is disgusting muck. There should be some sort of trading standards law that prevents them calling it chocolate surely? An insult to proper chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Americans call bacon "bacon"
    Americans call 'back bacon' "Canadian bacon".

Was talking to a American about how unappetising their bacon is, pretty much just streaky bacon that's pretty much all fat. Their response: "Eww, your bacon's disgusting, it's all flesh."

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Hershey’s is disgusting muck. There should be some sort of trading standards law that prevents them calling it chocolate surely? An insult to proper chocolate.

I had the misfortune to buy a bar of cadburys dairy milk in the States after many months of seeing nothing but vomit flavoured Hershey's. Bite in, and it's disgusting. I immediately searched the wrapper for a best before thinking it'd gone off, and I say that it was manufactured by Hershey's under licence. Boke.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My favourite American English words

Center
    Favorite
    Nite

I mostly use them as I prefer them to the Oxford english

As with many "Americanisms" they are using the older form of Center. Center follows more logically into Centering and Centered.

Center (n.)
    late 14c., "middle point of a circle; point round which something revolves," from Old French centre (14c.), from Latin centrum "center," originally the fixed point of the two points of a drafting compass (hence "the center of a circle"), from Greek kentron "sharp point, goad, sting of a wasp," from kentein "stitch," from PIE root *kent- "to prick" (source also of Breton kentr "a spur," Welsh cethr "nail," Old High German hantag "sharp, pointed").

The spelling with -re was popularized in Britain by Johnson's dictionary (following Bailey's), though -er is older and was used by Shakespeare, Milton, and Pope. Meaning "the middle of anything" attested from 1590s. Figuratively, "point of concentration" (of power, etc.) is from 1680s. Political use, originally in reference to France, "representatives of moderate views" (between left and right) is from 1837. Center of gravity is recorded from 1650s. Center of attention is from 1868.

center (v.)

1590s, "to concentrate at a center," from center (n.). Meaning "to rest as at a center" is from 1620s. Sports sense of "to hit toward the center" is from 1890. Related: Centered; centering. To be centered on is from 1713. In combinations, -centered is attested by 1958.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

screamer wrote: »
    Drugs and drugstore
    Instead of medicine and pharmacy
    Or chemist even.

Boots used to be "Boots the Chemists"

AIDS

Killed off my favorite snack

Burger joint instead of marijuana

• Advertisement

Freeway

Sh1t word

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

towger wrote: »
    Cupcakes
    God forbid any one would say fairy cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Americans call bacon "Canadian bacon".
    Canadians just call it bacon.
    their bacon is like the Italian pancetta? you can get dry cured smoked part of a pig in the polish stores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    their bacon is like the Italian pancetta? you can get dry cured smoked part of a pig in the polish stores too.

Canadian bacon strips are like your rashers. Pancetta is like the Spanish kind. I know Polish ham but I am not sure I have had the pleasure of the dry cured kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

They were called "directionals" by my driving tester in New York.

Maybe she just made the term up.

And get over yourself with the barbecue bullsh1t. We all know what a barbecue is for fcuk's sake. We just don't call what's cooked on it "barbecue".

a burger and a hotdog is a burger and a hotdog.

Ooohh and "Americans a great becasue they actually have decent summers"

Neither a hot dog nor a burger are barbecue. Cooking something on a grill does not make it barbecue.

Ireland doesn't do barbecue because the rain ruins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Neither a hot dog nor a burger are barbecue. Cooking something on a grill does not make it barbecue.

Ireland doesn't do barbecue because the rain ruins it.

We could do a great new cuisine involving steaming in the rain though!

That being said, barbecue probably isn’t good for you, considering you’re getting tons of burnt fuel in your food.

440Hertz wrote: »
    We could do a great new cuisine involving steaming in the rain though!

And we could do it at nighttime in Donegal under the Northern Lights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

They were called "directionals" by my driving tester in New York.

Maybe she just made the term up.

And get over yourself with the barbecue bullsh1t. We all know what a barbecue is for fcuk's sake. We just don't call what's cooked on it "barbecue".

a burger and a hotdog is a burger and a hotdog.

Ooohh and "Americans a great becasue they actually have decent summers"

I know you're lying now, I too had a NY license and it most certainly was not called a directional. My cousin and his wife live there, and I worked there for years. Ha, yeah I'm sure she made the term up.. :rolleyes:

Build a bridge and get over your own self. To barbecue something on a bbq makes it bbq food. Google it ffs. Strange you wouldn't know this though since you claim to have lived there.

I only said that Americans bbq as part of their culture because they have decent summers. You added the (very bitter) part about them being great because of it. You sound very hateful, btw. Maybe next time try a goat yoga retreat in California and relax a bit.

Here ya go buddy, from wikipedia:
    Barbecue or barbeque is a cooking method, a cooking device, a style of food, and a name for a meal or gathering at which this style of food is cooked and served. A barbecue can refer to the cooking method itself, the meat cooked this way, or to a type of social event featuring this type of cooking. Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Think this thread is smug, rude and racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I notice the word grifter being used a lot here lately in online discussions, mainly relating to online scammers. Prior to this I was only familiar with it from the John Cusack film the Grifters.

• Advertisement

Dumpster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I notice the word grifter being used a lot here lately in online discussions, mainly relating to online scammers. Prior to this I was only familiar with it from the John Cusack film the Grifters.

I know grifter as more of a UK term for a con-artist or scammer. I think it was mostly Hustle the TV show that introduced that to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Candy instead of sweets has made its way into our house.. thanks YouTube

764dak wrote: »
    Rubbish thread

Think you mean garbage thread

Smores is another one. My 12yr old nephew came out with it.. i nearly got sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

atr2002 wrote: »
    Think you mean garbage thread

Rubbish thread, this side of the pond :)

That reminds me, better out the trash bins out tonight as the garbage truck bin lorry is coming tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Chinasea wrote: »
    Think this thread is smug, rude and racist.
    Americans aren't a "race".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

atr2002 wrote: »
    Smores is another one. My 12yr old nephew came out with it.. i nearly got sick.

But smores are a specific food item. I'm not aware of any equivalent here that the word would be used in place of.

Zaph wrote: »
    But smores are a specific food item. I'm not aware of any equivalent here that the word would be used in place of.

Roasted marshmallows was what we called them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

"Math" seems to be gaining traction this side of the pond. And those who use the term "soccer" to describe a football game should be forced to operate a hotdog stand in an abandoned carpark.

Drives me especially mental when people call the Atlantic Ocean, a pond.

Advertisement