Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I do not think people will get these vaccines.
    Read the ingredients.... madness

I think the media will pump out photo after photo of people like Obama, Leo V, Mary Lou, Michael Martin, and even Kanye and Kim getting it to persuade every type of person out there that they're alone if they don't. In the end it will be uncool and unpopular to not get it, much like the current set of non-covid vaccines. It's just a mindset that needs changing. News can do that in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If someone gave me one tomorrow, I would not take it. After 3-4 months of rollout with tens or hundreds of millions of people vaccinated already, I will. Always possible there'll be long term effects that are still unknown but seems likely that the vast majority of side effects and interactions with other drugs will be known by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Do it per regions - so say Dublin and if you don't get it your next turn could be 6 months. That might focus the minds.

You may not be able to fly. Even talk won't be able to go to a Concert until you can prove you got the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I've been on boards for 12 years now. Not the longest by any means but a good stretch all the same.

I don't know if its a recent thing, or if its just something I'm noticing more or what exactly has changed, however, this site, while obviously great for an Irish look at things, but right wing, conspiracy theorist, anti vax types seem to be popping up across all the different forums more and more.

Could just be something that's spreading through society in general, but whatever the reason, this site is no longer an accurate cross section of the Irish population as a whole.

This vaccine will be widely and eagerly taken by the general public. Despite the rhetoric from the vocal minority on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

D.Q wrote: »
    I've been on boards for 12 years now. Not the longest by any means but a good stretch all the same.

I don't know if its a recent thing, or if its just something I'm noticing more or what exactly has changed, however, this site, while obviously great for an Irish look at things, but right wing, conspiracy theorist, anti vax types seem to be popping up across all the different forums more and more.

Could just be something that's spreading through society in general, but whatever the reason, this site is no longer an accurate cross section of the Irish population as a whole.

This vaccine will be widely and eagerly taken by the general public. Despite the rhetoric from the vocal minority on boards.

I could've written that post myself, I've noticed the same thing (and I'm also on the site 12 years!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

El Sueño wrote: »
    I could've written that post myself, I've noticed the same thing (and I'm also on the site 12 years!)

id argue that both "wings" are well represented and its lacking in centrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I am usually pro vaccinations. I'm early 50s with no underlying health issues. I don't feel the need to rush out & get this. I'll be close to the bottom of the waiting list anyway. I might not be offered it till June. It could be on the market 6 months before I get it. Most if not all the kinks should be ironed out by then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Do it per regions - so say Dublin and if you don't get it your next turn could be 6 months. That might focus the minds.

You may not be able to fly. Even talk won't be able to go to a Concert until you can prove you got the vaccine.

Better way is to have a sector with vaccinated people and a sector where all are non vaccinated. That will make one really re-evaluate their position without opening to limiting ones freedom argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

So a question to the people who aren't getting the vaccine...... you do realise that your chances are contacting Covid will increase hugely once a vaccine programme commences and the restrictions and safeguards that are in place at the moment will be lifted permanently? Does this bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

As for me, sign me up. I know it was quick to develop, but there has also never been the amount of money and resources thrown at developing a vaccine before and some groundwork had already been done with Sars and Mers.

Exactly. A lot of anti-vaxxers seem to give themselves away by describing the vaccine as "rushed" just because it arrived quickly. If a bricklayer takes 3 days to build a wall, but 3 bricklayers get together and do it in a single day, that doesn't mean the wall was "rushed".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Won't be taking it. And I don't care what airlines or governments say. I'm entitled to a holiday and I'll be visiting without any covid vaccine. Nobody is going to force me to put this untested junk in my body. I took enough to last me a life time when travelling around South America and I'm pretty sure the 10 year yellow fever one killed lots of my brain cells.

" I'm pretty sure the 10 year yellow fever one killed lots of my brain cells."

I fully agree with that part of your post.

As for the vaccine, sign me up for the first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delta2113 wrote: »

Yeah that won't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

johnire wrote: »
    So a question to the people who aren't getting the vaccine...... you do realise that your chances are contacting Covid will increase hugely once a vaccine programme commences and the restrictions and safeguards that are in place at the moment will be lifted permanently? Does this bother you?

Doesn't bother me. The risk is miniscule. And I'd be happy to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

I do not think people will get these vaccines.
    Read the ingredients.... madness

Which ingredients in particular do you have an issue with? And could you link a site that list these ingredients

Yes, over 50, diabetes and respiratory condition.

Plus I live with someone who has a heart condition. So even if I didn't have underlying conditions, I'd get vaccinated to minimise the risk of bringing it home to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes, as soon as it's available.
    I'm not so hypocritical that I'll quote stats to an anti-vaxxer while hanging back myself.

I'm in a vulnerable category, and I don't think I should be in the 1st wave.
    1st line workers, highly vulnerable people and those at highest risk and highest exposure should get it 1st.

I'll wait my turn, and then be happy I get it.

The efforts of scientists worldwide in both developing and testing multiple vaccines is a wonder of science.
    The mRNA work on one strain of vaccines, versus the easier to distribute Oxford vaccine and indeed the contribution of many Irish researchers at the Jenner Institute...
    Is amazing, and honestly it opens a whole new vista in medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

D.Q wrote: »

Noticed, and have posted about, the same thing. Weird right-wing, pro-Trump, anti-vax oddballs all over the shop these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

Absolutely. Sign me up.

But if you don't want to take it fine. It's just there should be ongoing Level 5 lockdown for anyone who doesn't take it until we are 6 months without a case. No pubs, restaurants etc. Only essential shopping. Masks in public areas. No overseas travel. In fact no travel outside your county. No access to sporting facilities (either as a spectator or a participant). No Cinemas, Theaters etc. No access to public transportation.

Level 0 for the rest of us.

If you don't believe in science you don't get to experience th benefits of a lifestyle whose foundation is science.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

touts wrote: »
    Absolutely. Sign me up.

But if you don't want to take it fine. It's just there should be ongoing Level 5 lockdown for anyone who doesn't take it until we are 6 months without a case. No pubs, restaurants etc. Only essential shopping. Masks in public areas. No overseas travel. In fact no travel outside your county. No access to sporting facilities (either as a spectator or a participant). No Cinemas, Theaters etc. No access to public transportation.

If you don't believe in science you don't get to experience th benefits of a lifestyle whose foundation is science.

presumably they will be tax exempt for the duration they are not allowed partake in your utopia ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

Absolutely. Sign me up.

A frightening post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Some people wont but they will pretend that they did.

Doubtful that the waiter at the local Indian restaurant or the till assistant in sports direct will be asking you for your "papers"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

would someone who has taken the vaccine still be able to pass the virus on to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Fodla wrote: »
    A frightening post.

I agree, possibly trolling? Obviously they have never heard of people, though in a minority, who cant take vaccines due to previous serious adverse reactions or just are non responsders to vaccines.. even some hospital staff get waivers. And some people with certain autoimmune conditions cannot get certain vaccines at times like those with RA and the yellow fever vaccine. Are they never meant to have a social life again? They might as well go to the grave now.

oh and what about people already immune? Do we know the vaccines effect on them yet? I dont think so,as I havent seen any scientific research yet but awaiting links from anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I was always in two minds about the vaccine and I still am. Hoping by the time my time comes around to get the vaccine, there will be more information out there and if there's any adverse reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Absolutely. Sign me up.

Amazing that someone actually thanked the above nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Absolutely. Sign me up.

Dystopian...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭bloopy

Absolutely. Sign me up.

What type of infrastructure will operate such a system?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

titan18 wrote: »
    If someone gave me one tomorrow, I would not take it. After 3-4 months of rollout with tens or hundreds of millions of people vaccinated already, I will. Always possible there'll be long term effects that are still unknown but seems likely that the vast majority of side effects and interactions with other drugs will be known by then
    There are long term effects from everything, long term effect of being alive, is being dead

Apart from that, breathing in smoke, eating burnt toast, going outside on a sunny day, drinking alcohol, watching tv, having sex, not having sex... everything has long term effects and potential long term effects

The vaccines have been tested. For safety, they’re safer than going for a walk in the woods and risking lime disease, or not going from that walk and risking depression or obesity

If 8 billion people get this vaccine in the next 10 years, millions of people will die soon after, just from the law of big numbers. Millions have already died from this virus in less than. 1 year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are long term effects from everything, long term effect of being alive, is being dead

Apart from that, breathing in smoke, eating burnt toast, going outside on a sunny day, drinking alcohol, watching tv, having sex, not having sex... everything has long term effects and potential long term effects

The vaccines have been tested. For safety, they’re safer than going for a walk in the woods and risking lime disease, or not going from that walk and risking depression or obesity

If 8 billion people get this vaccine in the next 10 years, millions of people will die soon after, just from the law of big numbers. Millions have already died from this virus in less than. 1 year

'Millions have already died from this virus in less than a 1 year'
    What information have you got that others haven't?https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?%22%20%5Cl%20%22countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was always in two minds about the vaccine and I still am. Hoping by the time my time comes around to get the vaccine, there will be more information out there and if there's any adverse reactions.

All drugs have some adverse reactions. The question with vaccines is whether the risk of suffering a reaction is significantly lower than the risk of that same person succumbing to that disease

If you have a .01% chance of dying from a virus and the vaccine has a .0001% chance of making you blind, you should take the vaccine purely out of self interest, but also out of public health interest

Advertisement