Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Today proves how mad this year is.

We weren't to get passed Rossies or Galway. Kerry were to be the only team to challenge the Dubs. Donegal had Ulster won when they beat Tyrone and were to give the Dubs a good game.

Complacency in any sport is fatal. We need to be very very wary in 2 weeks and if we can get through that injury free will be rank outsides against what you would think would be Dublin unless its 1948 again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

yop wrote: »
    Robson :D:D:rolleyes:

You looking for me honey ?

Today proves how mad this year is.

We weren't to get passed Rossies or Galway. Kerry were to be the only team to challenge the Dubs. Donegal had Ulster won when they beat Tyrone and were to give the Dubs a good game.

Complacency in any sport is fatal. We need to be very very wary in 2 weeks and if we can get through that injury free will be rank outsides against what you would think would be Dublin unless its 1948 again!

You don’t really believe that about Roscommon and Galway do you? On paper and man to man we are superior it was only a matter of getting the team to perform.

The difference with tipp and Cavan is today they had silverware to play for and long decades without Provençal titles. It’ll be a different story in the semis. Quote me on that if you want.

Tipp have achieved their goals for the year. They will quietly be celebrating and take the foot off the gas and even if they bring what they brought today we are more than a match for them.

Not focusing on the outcome of the other semi and being ready for what will likely be the line up on 19th of December is as bad as complacency. Dublin don’t have your attitude, that’s why they are consistent winners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

km79 wrote: »
    We are so lucky to have Clarke under a high ball
    He will be appreciated when he is gone
    Pattens kickouts won’t be much use now will they !

But when Clarke implodes he is likely to give away 3-4 points directly from misplaced kickouts. The effect on the scoreboard is the same.

On a good day he's still liable to give away one or two scores. He's a good keeper but kickouts in the modern game is crucial and he's no where near what he ideally should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

But when Clarke implodes he is likely to give away 3-4 points directly from misplaced kickouts. The effect on the scoreboard is the same.

On a good day he's still liable to give away one or two scores. He's a good keeper but kickouts in the modern game is crucial and he's no where near what he ideally should be.

But he is superior to the alternative In every other way whose kickouts also implode under Any kind of pressure .
    We do remember last year right ?

And we are back. A good auld keeper debate
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

For me Clarke is the best shot stopper in the country. Maybe Im too old fashioned, but it is that and a presence under the highball that I want my keeper to have.

Such a shame though that his kicking game is lacking. Hard to work on it, you either have it or you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

But he is superior to the alternative In every other way whose kickouts also implode under Any kind of pressure .

I'm not arguing that he's not better than what's already out there for us but the other poster stated that he would have Clarke any day ahead of a keeper like Patton.

Personally if we had a keeper with the skillset of Patten then I'd have him in the Mayo team all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Ahh now you are hardly blaming the 12min implosion on Robbbie?

That is squarely on Horan and his game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

For me Clarke is the best shot stopper in the country. Maybe Im too old fashioned, but it is that and a presence under the highball that I want my keeper to have.

Such a shame though that his kicking game is lacking. Hard to work on it, you either have it or you dont.

I think that is an old fashioned view in this day and age, tbh. I would be very concerned about Clarke going into any game. However, this year I am also concerned about our midfield. I think there's a disaster waiting to happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’ve said this many times
    We are blessed and cursed to have had two keepers of their ability at the same time
    It lead to too much ****ehawking and pressure
    If it has just been accepted Clarke was number one despite his kickouts and Robbie was number two only to come in when Clarke was unavailable we would have been better off
    It really should not have been a debate after Rochfords switch for the replay
    He learned from it but Horan went backwards on it imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyways, after all the excitement of today, it's good to look forward to the semifinal. Be good to play Tipp again. Who will pick up Quinlivan and Sweeney, do you reckon? Will need someone to rein in O'Riordan too. I reckon they'll probably go long a lot on the kickout, so we'd want to be competing well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Michael Murphy often gets brought up whenever Aidan has a poor game... or if we lose and Aidan doesn't shine.

All I can say is that I hope Aidan never has a game like Murphy did yesterday. For a player of his stature, he was completely anonymous and was went hiding when needed.

The odd time he came out of hiding, he did very little, acting as some sort of playmaker (being very generous) on the half way line. An injury time goal could have rescued it for him and Donegal but it wouldn't have been deserved on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

PARlance wrote: »
    Michael Murphy often gets brought up whenever Aidan has a poor game... or if we lose and Aidan doesn't shine.

All I can say is that I hope Aidan never has a game like Murphy did yesterday. For a player of his stature, he was completely anonymous and was went hiding when needed.

The odd time he came out of hiding, he did very little, acting as some sort of playmaker (being very generous) on the half way line. An injury time goal could have rescued it for him and Donegal but it wouldn't have been deserved on both counts.

Time after time when Donegal fall short, he is out around his own 45 miles away from where he can do damage. I don't think its a case of him hiding or shirking responsibility, but repeatedly letting him wander and not play in his best position has stopped them adding to the AI they won in 2012, in my opinion.

Similar to the two stools that Aido gets caught between, Murphy is needed to both deliver the ball in and then receive it inside.

Must be so frustrating for him personally that he is 0ulled from pillar to post. Similar to Aido he suffers from the 'big man form of referring. Ahh sure he is a big lad and can take it sort of attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Paddico

Sick of playing Semi Finals against Tipp :)

Sick of playing Mayo :D

Very excited about this semi, the fact we have played ye twice before. The last time was closer but as soon as that chipped goal went in, Mayo just upped the gears and fired over the points.

If we have any chance we cant allow that to happen as confidence just drains from the players for the big occasion.

Anyway here's hoping for a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RTE giving the presentation plenty of air time.

Really? Presumably the actual 'presentation' just involved the captain walking over to a table and picking up the trophy. Bet the GAA wish they could hire out Baby Yoda for this season:P

89840188a223fcac14f57569691f3920d2-baby-yoda-macaron-part-1.rhorizontal.w700.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Really? Presumably the actual 'presentation' just involved the captain walking over to a table and picking up the trophy. Bet the GAA wish they could hire out Baby Yoda for this season:P

89840188a223fcac14f57569691f3920d2-baby-yoda-macaron-part-1.rhorizontal.w700.gif

Comparing all 3 presentations versus a slow-mo of Ado picking up our first in 5 years. The other 2 yesterday deserved an hour each for the great performances. :)

On the above re Murphy and AOS, thats 100%. He was FB at one stage yesterday. But he has scored 1 point in the championship this year. Yet when we praise AOS it will always be ah he is no Murphy. Tis funny but we know them chaps wouldn't have a dicky birds clue about football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

So what happens if tip go down with 4/5 players with covid will it be deferred or what's the story

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

naughto wrote: »
    So what happens if tip go down with 4/5 players with covid will it be deferred or what's the story

Yes, there is a provision for postponements at this stage.

Room for postponements at semifinal and final stage.

• Advertisement

Just tested positive. Hard to type as I'm driving at the moment. Heading to Thurles for a few days. Might hit for Dublin after.

Who guessed Covid19 would break the Mayo curse?

Bring Sam Home! (but wash him down first).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just tested positive. Hard to type as I'm driving at the moment. Heading to Thurles for a few days. Might hit for Dublin after.

Who guessed Covid19 would break the Mayo curse?

Bring Sam Home! (but wash him down first).

Why are you going to Thurles ?

Football is concentrated on the south of Tipp, places like Clonmel, not Thurles.

Cop on.

Why are you going to Thurles ?

Football is concentrated on the south of Tipp, places like Clonmel, not Thurles.

Cop on.

Point taken. Course adjusted. Thanks Tod.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Listening to a few GAA podcasts since the weekend..... apparently there's a possibility that a few Tipp hurlers might be drafted into the football squad to bolster things up a bit (!)

Should we start worrying yet?? There's some serious units on that team

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Listening to a few GAA podcasts since the weekend..... apparently there's a possibility that a few Tipp hurlers might be drafted into the football squad to bolster things up a bit (!)

Should we start worrying yet?? There's some serious units on that team

Youd be fairly annoyed if you broke your balls training for weeks in winter, only to be displaced by AFL players and hurlers for the big day. Winning is important, but its pretty disrespectful if true IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Youd be fairly annoyed if you broke your balls training for weeks in winter, only to be displaced by AFL players and hurlers for the big day. Winning is important, but its pretty disrespectful if true IMO.

Especially this year when everyone outside the 26 will have to stay at home.

Ignorance is bliss eh. You do realise that O'Riordan had been training with them since he got home approximately 9 weeks ago so not like he was parachuted in from no where. The story with regards to the hurlers is just that, a story. Won't be happening.

Ignorance is bliss eh. You do realise that O'Riordan had been training with them since he got home approximately 9 weeks ago so not like he was parachuted in from no where. The story with regards to the hurlers is just that, a story. Won't be happening.

He wasnt involved in the league campaign. He didnt play v Clare, didnt play v Limerick, and is on record himself as saying he asked for special permission to play in the final.

Thats no slight on the man himself, but personally Id feel a bit sore if I was left out while a professional athlete took my place. Maybe my pettiness is not shared by the Tipp squad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Fwiw I was just chatting to a work colleague from Tipp and mentioned the hurlers scenario and he reckoned three or four of them would easily make it on to the squad with the potential of a couple pushing for starting places

• Advertisement

He wasnt involved in the league campaign. He didnt play v Clare, didnt play v Limerick, and is on record himself as saying he asked for special permission to play in the final.

Thats no slight on the man himself, but personally Id feel a bit sore if I was left out while a professional athlete took my place. Maybe my pettiness is not shared by the Tipp squad

Pettiness is a good word for what you think.

Would have been the height of thickheadedness to not play him when they had the opportunity. As I already said he'd been training with them since he was able to after coming home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement