Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x06 - 'Scavengers' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Why go to the trouble of doing those drawings and theories.

I’m in my 30s I’ve watched Star Trek all my life this show is bullshiete and no amount of logic can fix it at this stage. I watch it because I’m a trek fan and I want to see it all go right but this is awful, they can’t even do woke right.
    Because I'm actually an engineer. Geordie and Scottie were favourite characters growing up, and I enjoy thinking about problems like this. I've actually worked with people who worked on solving similar problems with microphones trying to separate multiple speakers in a crowded room. It's not to nit-pick: this is how I think, and while Trek always had lots of technobabble, it's sad that it doesn't care to have a level of careful thought at its heart to boost plausibility. The presence of that is what appeals to me in an Alastair Reynolds novel, or a Christopher Nolan film (though he sometimes gets himself tied in knots).

Instead, now we have mystery box writers who'll just pull a number out of their ass because they need N McGuffins to advance the plot, like a boring fetch quest in a video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

mikhail wrote: »
    Because I'm actually an engineer. Geordie and Scottie were favourite characters growing up, and I enjoy thinking about problems like this. I've actually worked with people who worked on solving similar problems with microphones trying to separate multiple speakers in a crowded room. It's not to nit-pick: this is how I think, and while Trek always had lots of technobabble, it's sad that it doesn't care to have a level of careful thought at its heart to boost plausibility. The presence of that is what appeals to me in an Alastair Reynolds novel, or a Christopher Nolan film (though he sometimes gets himself tied in knots).

Instead, now we have mystery box writers who'll just pull a number out of their ass because they need N McGuffins to advance the plot, like a boring fetch quest in a video game.

I’m an engineer also and technobabel is not the issue with this program.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,275 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m an engineer also and technobabel is not the issue with this program.

It’s a sign of the broader problem though - a lack of grounding elements. In science, character choices and development, and internal logic.

Even around this very simple decision of Burnham's to triangulate the centrepoint of The Burn. It is absolutely impossible that it was not previously noted that the ships did not in fact explode in the same instant, and it's absolutely impossible that what she's doing hasn't been done before. 120 years of scientists and captains and organisations. This is stuff that would have been done in the immediate years after the event. She doesn't have some unique insight or technology that answers the 'why now', and there's no new information that makes it suddenly relevant again. It's this sort of logic stretch that makes you need to switch off your brain in a way no other Trek show has demanded (well, maybe Picard!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

mikhail wrote: »
    I thought about it a little again. I'm less confident of my answer, and still unwilling to crack open the old mathematics.

In 2D, with three ships, you can't tell the difference between these two situations. The ratio of the lengths of the green lines is the same in both cases.

So for 2D, we already need 4 ships. When you go to 3D, those solution points will become curves, so you definitely need 4, and probably 5, unless you can narrow it down with extra information because the solutions pass through a planet or something.

Shows up 'Mikey Spock' lack of Vulcan education
    that she needs 'Silly' to explain to her in the
    <<<<< next episode

I shared a preview clip in one of my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

But she's been shown to not be trustworthy, she does not care who she turns on. Immediately upon being dressed down she just HAD to have the last word, with the admiral.

She was not in the brig because she saved lives. That is not why she went on the "mission"

Saru should have taken it to the Admiral, indeed, but he had literally already been shot down by the admiral when asking to go on a mission.

I've been enjoying Season 3 so far. I've seen your comments of course, so I think you've not been enjoying it as much as I have. Probably where I agree with you is the constant insubordination from Michael. It clearly hasn't completely bypassed the attention of the shows writers as they have acknowledged it with actions/speeches from Vance, Tilly & Saru.

When the episode started and Michael was almost immediately plotting her next rogue mission - I really started cringing on the inside. But in the end the mission itself was rather enjoyable to watch and she got a rightfully deserved demotion at the end. I didn't really see her as giving her permission to Saru for the demotion at the end. Saru just did it and fair play to him!

But I am a bit sick of her doing her own thing now. It should be all 'go team Starfleet!' at this stage. I'm hopeful the writers will resolve this issue satisfactorily this season. But I do think the show creators are trying to change it up based on feedback the show was getting. For example the new 1031-A ship is visually much better and I didn't mind the old ship that much :) Also there are a lot more character interaction moments this season. I really enjoyed the moments between Adira and Stamets this episode.

• Advertisement

1000?cb=20201121214122&path-prefix=en

We can argue Star Trek techno babble stuff, but the new 1031-A looks good IMO. I like the new deflector and detached nacelles. Also the hull colour looks really nice.

I've been enjoying Season 3 so far. I've seen your comments of course, so I think you've not been enjoying it as much as I have. Probably where I agree with you is the constant insubordination from Michael. It clearly hasn't completely bypassed the attention of the shows writers as they have acknowledged it with actions/speeches from Vance, Tilly & Saru.

When the episode started and Michael was almost immediately plotting her next rogue mission - I really started cringing on the inside. But in the end the mission itself was rather enjoyable to watch and she got a rightfully deserved demotion at the end. I didn't really see her as giving her permission to Saru for the demotion at the end. Saru just did it and fair play to him!

But I am a bit sick of her doing her own thing now. It should be all 'go team Starfleet!' at this stage. I'm hopeful the writers will resolve this issue satisfactorily this season. But I do think the show creators are trying to change it up based on feedback the show was getting. For example the new 1031-A ship is visually much better and I didn't mind the old ship that much :) Also there are a lot more character interaction moments this season. I really enjoyed the moments between Adira and Stamets this episode.

There is a very good show being bogged down by the (contractual) focus on Michael as the centre of the universe (in any time period...)

I am actually beginning to enjoy it much more BUT that makes those jarring moments all the worse.

There is a very good show being bogged down by the (contractual) focus on Michael as the centre of the universe (in any time period...)

I am actually beginning to enjoy it much more BUT that makes those jarring moments all the worse.

Is is still contractural, or was it ever? Doesn't this show have to be renewed and therefore the contact can change?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is is still contractural, or was it ever? Doesn't this show have to be renewed and therefore the contact can change?
    More fool on her agent then, better to be a smaller part in a better show than a headline in a slated show I would have thought. That said maybe it's better recieved on CBS. I mean despite my complaints, I still watch every week and there are enjoyable parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,033 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CramCycle wrote: »
    More fool on her agent then, better to be a smaller part in a better show than a headline in a slated show I would have thought. That said maybe it's better recieved on CBS. I mean despite my complaints, I still watch every week and there are enjoyable parts.

Viewer figures have been really impressive which to me is kinda a bad thing as I think what most people watch is pure crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Rawr

At the moment I think this is all just speculation. Unless there's some kind of public implosion between the actor and the studio you rarely hear about contract details until long after the fact.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Viewer figures have been really impressive which to me is kinda a bad thing as I think what most people watch is pure crap

Where did you get that information ?

Where did you get that information ?

Someone on a Trek forum keeps posting streaming numbers and it's pretty high up plenty of lists it seems.2nd hand information so if I'm wrong I'm happy to be called out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’ll watch any Star Trek show/episode once. But I have not rewatched any Star Trek Discovery episodes. Don’t think I ever will rewatch any, they are just too annoying.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’ll watch any Star Trek show/episode once. But I have not rewatched any Star Trek Discovery episodes. Don’t think I ever will rewatch any, they are just too annoying.

Only one episode really stays in my mind and it's the season 2 one with the earth church from the 21st century

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Someone on a Trek forum keeps posting streaming numbers and it's pretty high up plenty of lists it seems.2nd hand information so if I'm wrong I'm happy to be called out on it

The things I look at say the opposite and they also CBS had previously manipulated the the figures. Possible that trek fans watch it but the new younger audience they have aimed the show at aren’t that high. But that could be fake news from haters, I don’t know

The things I look at say the opposite and they also CBS had previously manipulated the the figures. Possible that trek fans watch it but the new younger audience they have aimed the show at aren’t that high. But that could be fake news from haters, I don’t know

I don't really understand viewer ratings so could be biased either way and I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GSPfan wrote: »

Thats a great point, I couldnt tell you how many times I have watched TOS of TNG over and over again, even Voyager! :eek:

I cant see the same happening here unless there is a significant turnaround, however I also can't see it going to too many more seasons...

I've rewatched a good few Discovery episodes from the second series and the start of the first before all the mirror crap. The only one I think I'll never watch a minute of again is Picard.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thats a great point, I couldnt tell you how many times I have watched TOS of TNG over and over again, even Voyager! :eek:

I cant see the same happening here unless there is a significant turnaround, however I also can't see it going to too many more seasons...

When I was younger I watched TOS as many times as they showed it on Sky One at the time. But these days I don't think it has aged so well TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I think both Picard and STD are less rewatchable as they follow a less episodical format, whereby there is a more obvious overarching plot condensed into fewer episodes, compared to TOS, TNG, VOY or DS9.

There were more episodes back then so they could spend time on a non-arc episode about something like everyone on the ship losing their memories, or Picard living out an entire life on a planet etc etc.

So with Picard or STD, you watch the whole thing, or you dont get as much from it. Whereas back in the day you could watch any single episode and it would likely be self contained enough that you dont have to watch the rest of the season to get something from it.

When I was younger I watched TOS as many times as they showed it on Sky One at the time. But these days I don't think it has aged so well TBH.

Funnily enough, I watched it in full recently for the first time in years, and was surprised it wasn't worse. Not as many man under a blanket monster scenarios I had imagined.

The third series budget took a hit, with only one episode set outdoors (Kirk goes savage :D ) and apparently just one other scene (where they went back in time on another world (one of the best episodes)) where there was a very brief outside seen (but I only know that from a fan site). The rest was on set (some simply reused).

Oh, the very last episode was probably the worst. Horrendous, and does not age well. It wasn't intenteded to be the last, but as we know the show was cancelled.

But, overall enjoyed it.

Funnily enough, I watched it in full recently for the first time in years, and was surprised it wasn't worse. Not as many man under a blanket monster scenarios I had imagined.

The third series budget took a hit, with only one episode set outdoors (Kirk goes savage :D ) and apparently just one other scene (where they went back in time on another world (one of the best episodes)) where there was a very brief outside seen (but I only know that from a fan site). The rest was on set (some simply reused).

Oh, the very last episode was probably the worst. Horrendous, and does not age well. It wasn't intenteded to be the last, but as we know the show was cancelled.

But, overall enjoyed it.

The episode that Khan and Kirk in engineering is comical I wonder did people see clearly the stunt guys or was the picture quality not good enough to pick that up.

You can’t beat the Kirk and Spock fight theme music of the episode one Vulcan it really adds to the scene.

The episode that Khan and Kirk in engineering is comical I wonder did people see clearly the stunt guys or was the picture quality not good enough to pick that up.

You can’t beat the Kirk and Spock fight theme music thought it really adds to the scene.

Some quality double fist punching going on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

But, overall enjoyed it.

I disagree. I quite enjoy that episode.

You can’t beat the Kirk and Spock fight theme music of the episode one Vulcan it really adds to the scene.

Agree about that fight scene been comical but it was the sixties after all.
    I still enjoy watching TOS and TNG even do I know must of the episodes and stories even the titles.

As for Discovery I tried to rewatch season 1 but struggled as I hated the fake Klingons and there language. I call them klignots. There might be some episodes in season 2 I would rewatch but except for the Mirror episodes on season 1and the two first episodes with the Senzhoe I would struggle to watch any of the other episodes.

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. I quite enjoy that episode.

If you're nostalgic for suffocating 60s misogyny fair enough :p

I've rewatched a good few Discovery episodes from the second series and the start of the first before all the mirror crap. The only one I think I'll never watch a minute of again is Picard.

Actually thats fair, the early stuff with Pike and Lorca was good enough to watch again.

Yep, 5pm on Sky One, every evening after school....them were the days!

Some of the early seasons can be a bit flaky, but it still had storylines and plot, once the actors got comfortable with the characters in seasons 2+ it was great, dare I say even the Troi and her mother episodes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really enjoyed the mirror universe. I'd watch a series on it :D

All Eyes On Rafah

AMKC wrote: »
    Agree about that fight scene been comical but it was the sixties after all.

I can only ever think of this now!
    yynk7h.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC TV in the 1960s literally had 240 vertical lines of definition: the terrible & obvious stuntmen was simply because the producers knew there wouldn't be enough definition in the audience's TV sets to see the detail on the faces of the performers. Was true across TV and film really.

This is why I think remasters can be a curse as well as a blessing; that while the TNG high definition remaster from the original 35mm film looks absolutely amazing - so crisp and detailed - it also revealed just how shoddy and flimsy the set was, once the glaze of low definition was removed. Phillips head screws, tatty carpet and just a scruffiness across the Enterprise I never noticed before.

Advertisement