Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭prunudo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    2 week circuit breaker for NI to take effect again from next Friday

Are they out of restrictions at present?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

prunudo wrote: »

They never shut retail

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What restrictions??

Mostly open up there except for hospitality

What restrictions??

Mostly open up there except for hospitality

Really, what were they all giving out about in Stormant last week. Thought they had agreed to an extension already.
    No wonder their numbers aren't dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Really, what were they all giving out about in Stormant last week. Thought they had agreed to an extension already.
    No wonder their numbers aren't dropping.

They couldn't agree to an extension until the last minute last week. They're essentially in our L3.

Looks like they want to go to our L5 but it won't kick in until next Friday for 2 weeks. Bit of a mess up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Stheno wrote: »
    They never shut retail

They can hardly call it a circuit breaker so, to me that means a short complete lockdown but I agree I can't see them closing retail up to December 11th, they'd be hopping down here seeding it again maybe just when we get a handle on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MOR316 wrote: »
    I've not seen my friends or family in 6 weeks, Tony...

Be cutting contacts out of my phone next

Haven't seen too many friends, but have seen my family alright, as has my wife seen hers.

They couldn't agree to an extension until the last minute last week. They're essentially in our L3.

Looks like they want to go to our L5 but it won't kick in until next Friday

Better late than never I suppose. Not great timing with us wanting to open up though. Not that they seem to care much for what we're doing down here at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Better late than never I suppose. Not great timing with us wanting to open up though. Not that they seem to care much for what we're doing down here at the best of times.

No they don't but F*** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I reckon it`ll be the same down here from the 1st December!!!!

Cant have those northies travelling down south for their pints now can we??

There were never going to be pints on the 1st December anyway, the numbers have stopped going down. Retail has a case, pubs have none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    tenor.gif
    What am I an expert in Jim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

NPHET seem to be trying to turn the country into a cult. They tick a lot of the boxes. If only the knew most people have already switched off to them.

• Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

• No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

• No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget or expenses, such as an independently audited financial statement.

• Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

• There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

• Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

• There are records, books, news articles, or broadcast reports that document the abuses of the group/leader.

• Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

• The group/leader is always right.

• The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

GazzaL wrote: »
    NPHET seem to be trying to turn the country into a cult. They tick a lot of the boxes. If only the knew most people have already switched off to them.

• Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

• No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

• No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget or expenses, such as an independently audited financial statement.

• Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

• There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

• Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

• There are records, books, news articles, or broadcast reports that document the abuses of the group/leader.

• Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

• The group/leader is always right.

• The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Surely Tony isn't a reincarnation of Jim Jones?

Maybe its time for us all to drink the Kool-Aid? Under the guise that its really the vaccine!!!

Arghus wrote: »
    Exactly. He has to temper expectations.

People are talking like a vaccine is already here and normality returns tomorrow - it's literally months off, with many caveats and unknowns and you have to remind people again to stick to the basic advice. Until the vaccine is in play you have to remind people to do that.

Yes, How could people be expected to understand complex medical issues like if a vaccine isn't ready until next year, that it might still be possible to catch Covid now. That would just go over your average Joes head.

He needs to start using the cows example from Fr Ted to make it even more clear to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Are we finally coming to the conclusion that NPHET are a bit crap and have no idea what they are doing?

Are we finally coming to the conclusion that NPHET are a bit crap and have no idea what they are doing?
    Careful now you'll be labelled as part of the anti-restrictions brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yes, How could people be expected to understand complex medical issues like if a vaccine isn't ready until next year, that it might still be possible to catch Covid now. That would just go over your average Joes head.

He needs to start using the cows example from Fr Ted to make it even more clear to people.

We'll put. In most other countries, especially the UK, they're talking positively about the vaccine and keeping people informed, keeping morale up and giving a goal to work towards.

But no, as it's been in Ireland since the beginning, our experts are the world leaders and know far better how to relay news to the public. That public in turn, are conversely morons who'll start licking door-knobs if the same message isn't beaten into them over and over

Tony Holohan: "We need to redouble our efforts"

Where have I heard that one before. Push a button, generate a quote.

Not to open a can of worms again, but if we redouble our efforts a few times, is that an exponential increase in the level of effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,505 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Northern Ireland will reopen cafés, restaurants and hair salons tomorrow - and then close them a week later, under a new proposal agreed tonight
    The Stormont Executive has decided to ease restrictions from tomorrow until Friday 27 November and then reimpose a strict two week "circuit breaker".

Non-essential retail, which was allowed to stay open during current restrictions, will close at that time.

And people think we've got problems with our decision makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Another crucial 2 weeks"

Is this the 10th time we've heard this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

babyboom wrote: »
    I had a similar experience myself in Beaumont and Rotunda hospitals. Initial meeting with consultant his secretary wasn't wearing a mask despite dealing directly with patients. He asked me if I wanted to take off my mask during the consultation then handed me a pen to sign a consent form, putting it back in his pocket afterwards, no sanitizing.

Had my procedure in the Rotunda a few weeks later. A few of the medical staff around the operating theatre with masks under their chins. Same consultant came to talk to me afterwards and sat beside me on the bed with no mask.

My friend works in a large hospital and says medical staff are the worse culprits to taking off masks and gathering to talk in corridors.

Seems our health care professionals and doctors dont actually believe in this masks thing. Now why would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

robbiezero wrote: »

At least one western vaccine is ready and just waiting approval. I would imagine they will be starting widespread vaccination in the next week or two in the states. We still have to keep up masks and social distancing but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

At least one western vaccine is ready and just waiting approval. I would imagine they will be starting widespread vaccination in the next week or two in the states. We still have to keep up masks and social distancing but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Careful now. Someone reading that might think they have immunity just by reading about a vaccine.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    We'll put. In most other countries, especially the UK, they're talking positively about the vaccine and keeping people informed, keeping morale up and giving a goal to work towards.

But no, as it's been in Ireland since the beginning, our experts are the world leaders and know far better how to relay news to the public. That public in turn, are conversely morons who'll start licking door-knobs if the same message isn't beaten into them over and over
    The UK's vaccine press conferences with Dr Van-Tam are fantastic, completely agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

glad to see most people aren't buying the "NPHET are evil supervillains hell bent on taking over the country" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,909 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Until the vaccine is rolled to the general population, a bit of caution is still required. Go visit family at Christmas, keep distance etc. I will.

It won’t be too long now before Spring and Summer come around again and the Baxtard virus goes to sleep for a while. Hopefully by late Autumn next year there will be a choice of vaccines and millions of doses.

There is light at the end of this awful tunnel so be mature, be patient, bide your time and try not to spread it around. It’s a better vista now than in October anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Good programme on bbc2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Careful now you'll be labelled as part of the anti-restrictions brigade

If it walks like a duck...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

GazzaL wrote: »
    NPHET seem to be trying to turn the country into a cult. They tick a lot of the boxes.

• Former members often relate the same stories of abuse

No doubt you will be able to cite a case of this with NPHET....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I’ve had a pretty news free day which was great. Just catching up on things now.
    Am I right in thinking that if we come out of level 5 on the 1st of December the north will be their circuit breaker with Nonessential retail closed which will in effect reverse the flow of shoppers across the border?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement