Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford North Quays

• 18-11-2004 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Finally, more progress on the north quays.

A mile and a half of land, 13.5 acres, which comprises the entire north quay of Waterford, has just been put on the market. It is thought that it will fetch ?1m per acre.

A competition was run to find the best architectural design, and a detailed planning proposal has already been prepared for Bord Planala. It looks like it might actually start next year!

The design looks impressive:
    http://www.opw.ie/waterfordquays/index.html

Hopefully the development will happen in one phase, and not in bits and pieces over a period of years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its about time too. They've been promising this for at least 5-6 years now.
    Sadly I expect it'll be developed piecemeal and take far too long.

Holy smoke! I just looked at the winning design and they're keeping the grain silos in place. I thought they should be gone years ago.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:

Holy smoke! I just looked at the winning design and they're keeping the grain silos in place. I thought they should be gone years ago.

Mike.

Mike, where did you see the design? I know it's on display in the goverment buildings down in the glen, but just wondering if anyone has come accross it on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Leonard wrote:
    Mike, where did you see the design? I know it's on display in the goverment buildings down in the glen, but just wondering if anyone has come accross it on line.

There's a link to the design specs of the four best designs on the page I linked to.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Well it will have to be somewhat co-ordinated or it will never look like the actual design.

I did see something that looked like the silos but are they actually 'the' silos? Presumably they'd be done up at least?

Well the overall design looks good, I hope it pans out as envisaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Heres the plans and some graphics of it. looks very impressive a new bridge and all. not sure if they will actually go ahead with bridge though as there was talk of a big marina and a dock for cruise liners on the north side.

all we need now is proper roads to the rest of the country.
    north quay pics

• Advertisement

oh and the silos and the big white factory part with the tall ships poster on it appear to still be there but the rest of the factory is gone

img0051_mag.jpg

Is'nt it loverly? Give me a big bomb....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

the horror...Thanks for that Mike!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 arip

Hopefully they'll do something nice with the North Quay. Those old silos have a familiar rustic charm but ultimately are eye sores.

Hopefully something decent could be done about the Quay from the bridge to the plaza. The place is covered with little car parks. Surely in this day and age another purpose built multistorey car park and maybe even another underground could be built. Any other city would line any bit of water they have with a decent boulevard or something like they did by building the plaza.

Cm:lp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

mike65 wrote:
    img0051_mag.jpg

Is'nt it loverly? Give me a big bomb....

Mike.

Ahh Im gonna set that as me desktop wallpaper just to remind me of home..

:D

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

haterape wrote:
    Hopefully they'll do something nice with the North Quay. Those old silos have a familiar rustic charm but ultimately are eye sores.

Anyone reckon that when they have finished with that they will do something
    with the Ard Rí.. like level the place and build a decent looking hotel up
    there.. now THATS and eyesore.. :rolleyes:

Tox

actually they are making it bigger! 90 more rooms, a nursing home and a new leisure centre. maybe it will get a facelift in the process.

old metropole site will be a 7/8 storey hotel aswell.

Browsing the WLR site theres is a news story that says the sale of the north quay property is imminent or it may have happened just not announced.

Mike.

As I understand it, they are teetering on the bring of selling it. But fisherman, I believe, have come along in the nick of time with their hands out, presumably. There's some crowd that use the north wharf for something or other and they claim that there's nowhere else they can berth their boats, or something. Looks likes they are planning on trouble unless their palms are lined with silver. The usual story.

The port shouldn't have to care, but these guys have got some publicity. Next McCann will be in there with an objection of his own. We can't have a development of this scale in an overgrown village like Waterford! It should be returned to the way it was in vikings times!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Recently a part of it was just sold... When is this development starting?

- Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Seeing as the more recent thread got closed, I'm posting here - can't believe we've been talking about the North Quays development for so long, hopefully we'll see tower cranes and hairy-arsed builders on site soon.
    Anyway, here's what I wanted to share; https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/19/saudi-accounts-emerge-of-ritz-carlton-night-of-the-beating
    Weren't the Al Hokair boys caught up in this? Hope the 350 mil for the North Quays didn't fall out of their pockets into the Saudi exchequer while they were having the soles of their feet beaten with sticks. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They were but the company is not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Seeing as the more recent thread got closed, I'm posting here - can't believe we've been talking about the North Quays development for so long, hopefully we'll see tower cranes and hairy-arsed builders on site soon.
    Anyway, here's what I wanted to share; https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/19/saudi-accounts-emerge-of-ritz-carlton-night-of-the-beating
    Weren't the Al Hokair boys caught up in this? Hope the 350 mil for the North Quays didn't fall out of their pockets into the Saudi exchequer while they were having the soles of their feet beaten with sticks. :eek:

id say the funding for the nq's is well secure, major developers such as are well able to service the debts required for such projects, theyd have significant assets globally to back them

Bit odd this thread has it's origins in 2004.

Did anyone else get this weeks N&S? It's got articles about other regeneration schemes around the centre but that's probably for the Waterford Developments thread.

Bit odd this thread has it's origins in 2004.

Did anyone else get this weeks N&S? It's got articles about other regeneration schemes around the centre but that's probably for the Waterford Developments thread.

was the land sold on after the crash to the current owners?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    was the land sold on after the crash to the current owners?

Not sure but I've been rooting about and found these from the previous proposals

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/plan-chosen-to-regenerate-waterford-s-north-quays-1.1098999
    http://www.arcoquattro.it/en/portfolio_page/waterford-north-quays-waterford-ireland-2002/ some elements are still current others reflect changes since 2002.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BmnebvN1ec

The first part of the NQ work will be completely rejigging the quay sections that are supported by piles, they'll all come out and a new support infrastructure dropped in.

MOD Warning:

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one now lads, and hint of it getting out of hand like the last one, it’s getting shut down. This is the only warning people are going to get. The amount of reported posts in the last one was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Aquos76 wrote: »
    MOD Warning:

I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one now lads, and hint of it getting out of hand like the last one, it’s getting shut down. This is the only warning people are going to get. The amount of reported posts in the last one was unreal.

I hope you're not talking about me? I can't go to the pub and bore the lads and the other half won't listen to my..... musings. Where else can I go to talk sh1te? :confused:

I hope you're not talking about me? I can't go to the pub and bore the lads and the other half won't listen to my..... musings. Where else can I go to talk sh1te? :confused:

Those who derailed the previous thread know exactly who I am aiming this at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

It fell out of your's and everyone else's pocket from the petrol and diesel we by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Does anyone think this project will be built without a mosque being incorporated into it somewhere......they better ensure that the toilets are orientated correctly...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Does anyone think this project will be built without a mosque being incorporated into it somewhere......they better ensure that the toilets are orientated correctly...:)

Never thought of it, but it'd be great to see a purpose-built mosque in Waterford. Crazy that one hasn't been built already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Never thought of it, but it'd be great to see a purpose-built mosque in Waterford. Crazy that one hasn't been built already

In what way would it be "great"? We in need of some more "cultural enrichment"?

Not sure but I've been rooting about and found these from the previous proposals

Was it in nama I wonder?

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote:
    It fell out of your's and everyone else's pocket from the petrol and diesel we by.

Partly id imagine, as far as I can see, these folks are largely into real estate, so majority of their wealth is probably coming from there, maybe

Advertisement