Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Does anyone think this project will be built without a mosque being incorporated into it somewhere......they better ensure that the toilets are orientated correctly...:)

Probably not in the north quays, but it would not be unreasonable to build a mosque in Waterford. There is enough Muslims around to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Flow Motion

In the way that it would give Waterford's muslim population a purpose-built place to worship...

I visited the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia while I was in Istanbul. Pretty spectacular places both. Esp the Hagia Sophia : was largest Christian church in Roman Empire then the Ottomans took it over.
    Any chance we could have a replica please? The former Jurys site would be a good spot IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I visited the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia while I was in Istanbul. Pretty spectacular places both. Esp the Hagia Sophia : was largest Christian church in Roman Empire then the Ottomans took it over.
    Any chance we could have a replica please? The former Jurys site would be a good spot IMO.

If we're going for all-out spectacular, my vote is still with the 'Guardian of the Déise' statue proposal for sheer ludicrousness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭south

If we're going for all-out spectacular, my vote is still with the 'Guardian of the Déise' statue proposal for sheer ludicrousness :D

That hasn't gone away!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Let's keep the threat on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

But the real question is could we do like a deal where we build a mosque and they provide us with a few hundred million. Theres plenty of land up there in Grace Dieu we could stick 5 or 6 of them up there.

Off topic again above.....in any case will the proposed development of the NQ’s be the catalyst for the redevelopment of the Ard Ri site and also the proposed cable car connection etc that has previously proposed. Could it also get the rail link to Wexford town back up and running...there are also countless other things that could/should be built such as the third river Suir bridge somewhere in the vicinity of the tower hotel.....etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

What's the craic with the cable car? Is it only a suggestion? Imagine going from the Are Rí to Treacys hotel lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    Off topic again above.....in any case will the proposed development of the NQ’s be the catalyst for the redevelopment of the Ard Ri site and also the proposed cable car connection etc that has previously proposed. Could it also get the rail link to Wexford town back up and running...there are also countless other things that could/should be built such as the third river Suir bridge somewhere in the vicinity of the tower hotel.....etc etc

I'd imagine something will be done with that site now, it's value will be rocketing, a third bridge maybe needed now, with the increase in traffic

What's the craic with the cable car? Is it only a suggestion? Imagine going from the Are Rí to Treacys hotel lol

It sounds like it's a serious proposal, lovely idea to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A cable car, a giant statue, a 17-floor apartment block. Waterford is turning into those forgotten towns in the American mid-West that have statues of a plastic dinosaur or ball of elastic bands to make themselves feel important.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

vriesmays wrote: »
    A cable car, a giant statue, a 17-floor apartment block. Waterford is turning into those forgotten towns in the American mid-West that have statues of a plastic dinosaur or ball of elastic bands to make themselves feel important.

Yes that Statue of Liberty is sooo lame in the one-horse town in the US, can't remember what it's called...and that Montjuic cable car in some sleepy Spanish backwater with no tourists...hmmm... what's it called again? :rolleyes:
    And what's wrong with elastic bands, we did invent the Gallybander here in Waterford did we not? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Glass houses and that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

We wanted a cable car but we'll have to make do with a zip line.

Finnbar01 wrote: »

even better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Finnbar01 wrote: »

A daycent big slingshot could cut the journey time from the Ard Ri to Ballybricken down to 10 seconds.

If I see another derogatory post in this thread about mosques then I’m shutting this thread down.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    If I see another derogatory post in this thread about mosques then I’m shutting this thread down.

How about banning offenders rather than closing down threads??

Interesting the amount of radical right accounts that they to shoehorn their race into absolutely every discussion.

How about banning offenders rather than closing down threads??

If you ban someone for having a different view then there would be no one left here

• Advertisement

I do t have time to be reading through every single post on here, if someone reports a post then I will look in to the threat then. The conversations about the mosques was taking the thread off topic and if I was to ban one, I would have had to ban 4/5 others then so it was just easier to delete the posts and try get the thread back on topic.

There might be plenty who spend all day on the Waterford forum and they have the time to read every post, I certainly don’t have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Interesting the amount of radical right accounts that they to shoehorn their race into absolutely every discussion.

Interesting the amount of dead head leftys whose only point of attack is the last resort of the destitute : Just scream RACIST until someone comes and makes the bad people stop hurting their little minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd imagine something will be done with that site now, it's value will be rocketing, a third bridge maybe needed now, with the increase in traffic

Just on the third bridge, where would traffic flow to? Lombard Street all the way out to the woodlands is a bottleneck at peak times.

The bypass made sense as it removed HGV traffic from the Quays as well as the village of Kilmeaden, but I couldn't see a third bridge making it easier for those living along the Dunmore Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rob Cass, and this came from him talking with the council says a bridge at the Tower end of the quay is just about the least likely new element that would be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

skodacb wrote: »
    Just on the third bridge, where would traffic flow to? Lombard Street all the way out to the woodlands is a bottleneck at peak times.

The bypass made sense as it removed HGV traffic from the Quays as well as the village of Kilmeaden, but I couldn't see a third bridge making it easier for those living along the Dunmore Rd.

Pure, pie-in-the-sky, dreamland stuff, but the 2 most ideal places for bridges would probably be either
    • At the bend in front of the Tower hotel (Could be used to turn the South Quays/North Quays into a giant one-way system like Enniscorthy)
    • Joining up with the ring road to form a full circular Waterford bypass. Not sure how this could even possibly work though as it would essentially have to run right through Ardkeen/Maypark with the current ring road layout

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭invara

Pure, pie-in-the-sky, dreamland stuff, but the 2 most ideal places for bridges would probably be either
    • At the bend in front of the Tower hotel (Could be used to turn the South Quays/North Quays into a giant one-way system like Enniscorthy)
    • Joining up with the ring road to form a full circular Waterford bypass. Not sure how this could even possibly work though as it would essentially have to run right through Ardkeen/Maypark with the current ring road layout

As I know there are two bridges envisaged but not planned as for ... one city Tower/peoples park and the other on the ring road MayparkLane/Kings channel or Faithlegg. There are no easy options here. Wexford needs quicker access to the hospital.. cut 15-30 minutes off the journey. With the Ireland 2040 plans, this needs to be done before we turn into Galway and end up with an unworkable city.

invara wrote: »
    As I know there are two bridges envisaged but not planned as for ... one city Tower/peoples park and the other on the ring road MayparkLane/Kings channel or Faithlegg. There are no easy options here. Wexford needs quicker access to the hospital.. cut 15-30 minutes off the journey. With the Ireland 2040 plans, this needs to be done before we turn into Galway and end up with an unworkable city.

Bridge crossing at Maypark Nursing Home has been included in previous City development plans but probably needs to be further out now like Blenheim.

Interesting the amount of dead head leftys whose only point of attack is the last resort of the destitute : Just scream RACIST until someone comes and makes the bad people stop hurting their little minds.

That's funny, I've found some righties to be the most sensitive souls on the planet, trump is a perfect example, but cluster b's generally are

Just because you're against the far right doesn't make you a leftie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I do t have time to be reading through every single post on here, if someone reports a post then I will look in to the threat then. The conversations about the mosques was taking the thread off topic and if I was to ban one, I would have had to ban 4/5 others then so it was just easier to delete the posts and try get the thread back on topic.

There might be plenty who spend all day on the Waterford forum and they have the time to read every post, I certainly don’t have.

Not being smart with you but why are you even a mod if you are only waiting for people to report posts instead of acting on your own instinct,the Waterford forum isn't busy it would take a couple of minutes to skim through all the post made here in a 24hr period,and its clear as day vriesmays is a troll its not a different view,every post of his is to cause a reaction and that's 100% trolling surely mods don't need people to report this?

And actually on the moderation of this forum,sully and ziedth haven't posted on here in years,yourself and cabaal post every now and then,gaspode seems to be the only one that acts on things,maybe what this place needs is a bit of freshen up, out with the old and in with the new as they say ,a few new mods who are active on here might make the place a bit more enjoyable because at the moment a handful of people are dragging the place down and nothing is being done about it.

Advertisement