Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Denny61 wrote: »
    When we allowed to move more freely. Expect cases to rise .simple as..and by god will they rise after the holiday period.we are only fooling ourselves..people on here with the stupid cliché..Great news ...its heading in the right direction..wake up..its nothing got to do with ridding this virus from our community

There's very few asleep.
    It's heading in the right direction for a loosening of restrictions and move into another phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Denny61 wrote: »
    When we allowed to move more freely. Expect cases to rise .simple as..and by god will they rise after the holiday period.we are only fooling ourselves..people on here with the stupid cliché..Great news ...its heading in the right direction..wake up..its nothing got to do with ridding this virus from our community

So what exactly is your point ?

I fully expect numbers to get down to a manageable level in a couple of weeks, then we can have a responsible Christmas.

I would also expect numbers to go up again in January with possibly further lockdown.

But all of the above is OK with me TBH, January is always a crap month.

I think people like would only be happy if we were in Level 5 lockdown until the vaccine rollout. I don't understand your point of view, please explain in your opinion what we should do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cillian De Gascun was saying the increase in numbers was due to Halloween.

Halloween this year was very subdued - Is there any evidence to back this claim. Seems to me that hospitals and some workplace settings were to blame

meanwhile in the safe supermarket!

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-supermarkets-most-common-exposure-setting-for-catching-coronavirus-in-england-latest-data-shows-12136418

• Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

alentejo wrote:
    Well it's the only place you can't avoid the idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

alentejo wrote: »
    Cillian De Gascun was saying the increase in numbers was due to Halloween.

Halloween this year was very subdued - Is there any evidence to back this claim. Seems to me that hospitals and some workplace settings were to blame

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-supermarkets-most-common-exposure-setting-for-catching-coronavirus-in-england-latest-data-shows-12136418

The only thing that study shows is that people with covid go to the supermarket more than other locations. No evidence of transmission there whatsover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

But its definitely the schools :p

Close the schools :D

The positivity rate is dropping yet 4,000 schools remain open for the last 12 weeks.

Can we maybe have one day where schools are not blamed for Covid cases increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The positivity rate is dropping yet 4,000 schools remain open for the last 12 weeks.

Can we maybe have one day where schools are not blamed for Covid cases increasing.

Don't worry, the cover-up brigade will be in soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

A lot of people spout rubbish here on this thread that people are going to die with or without COVID and that its no worse than the flu in terms of numbers. And then a dozen other morons thank them for their post. Here is the true ratio of COVID vs flu for deaths based on current USA statistics.

COVIDFLU.jpg

Heavily front loaded with the death rate with Covid ..

Fact is the IFR is rapidly decreasing and verging toward flu - new paper was stating around 0.14% IFR for CV19 - flu is ~0.1% .. other papers are showing around 0.2% ... Covid is more dangerous - but not as more as originally thought.

Facts are flu is MORE dangerous for kids then covid - check the numbers.
    About the same for young healthy adults and a lot worse for older compromised people - and these accounts for vast majority of deaths...

I know that dissapoints people like you, but these are the facts!!

eigrod wrote: »
    332 positive swabs. 12,640 tests. Positivity rate 2.63%. Definitely going in right direction now.

When did the schools close again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭pauldry

2.6% great positivity rate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭prunudo

froog wrote: »
    The only thing that study shows is that people with covid go to the supermarket more than other locations. No evidence of transmission there whatsover.

Not sure what guidelines they have in the UK's supermarkets but between social distancing, sanitising stations, masks, screens around checkouts and quota's on amount of customers in store I don't know how the virus could be spreading in my local Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭emo72

Poor feckers sitting in a huge tailback on the m4. Pointless torturing people trying to get home from work.

emo72 wrote: »
    Poor feckers sitting in a huge tailback on the m4. Pointless torturing people trying to get home from work.

Is it a checkpoint? I thought all those had been ditched now due to exactly what you say....the torturing of people just trying to get home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭brick tamland

If anything cases went up in the period just after the schools closed for midterm, so is there an argument that having kids in school in safer than not being in school? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

If anything cases went up in the period just after the schools closed for midterm, so is there an argument that having kids in school in safer than not being in school? :D

Cancel the Christmas holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

So what exactly is your point ?

I fully expect numbers to get down to a manageable level in a couple of weeks, then we can have a responsible Christmas.

I would also expect numbers to go up again in January with possibly further lockdown.

But all of the above is OK with me TBH, January is always a crap month.

I think people like would only be happy if we were in Level 5 lockdown until the vaccine rollout. I don't understand your point of view, please explain in your opinion what we should do ?

I doubt we will have a 'responsible Christmas'. People have let themselves down already, and we haven't reached the biggest booze and mingle time of year yet.

When you expect numbers to go up, it means increase in demand on medical services, followed by death, but sure... that's OK, as long as we expect it.

I'm glad you are OK with it all and willing to take risks with predefined expectations, on behalf of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

CDC in US recommending people don't travel for Thanksgiving https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1329465031050858499?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I doubt we will have a 'responsible Christmas'. People have let themselves down already, and we haven't reached the biggest booze and mingle time of year yet.

When you expect numbers to go up, it means increase in demand on medical services, followed by death, but sure... that's OK, as long as we expect it.

I'm glad you are OK with it all and willing to take risks with predefined expectations, on behalf of others.

So what should we do then ? Stay in lockdown to avoid another lockdown ?

Eod100 wrote: »
    CDC in US recommending people don't travel for Thanksgiving https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1329465031050858499?s=19

Way too late for that. Planes will be jammed. My mother in law’s partner is having all his extended family visiting Michigan from multiple states, some of whom are travelling via other states, including New York, en route. All staying in the family home, with an overflow into local hotels. He’s a republican, needless to say, and does not care about COVID one bit. My mother in law is going upstate to the cabin tomorrow to stay away from it all for a few weeks. And he is by no means unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Is it a checkpoint? I thought all those had been ditched now due to exactly what you say....the torturing of people just trying to get home

Still go through one (or go up the mountains to avoid one) on the M11 every day on my way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Way too late for that. Planes will be jammed. My mother in law’s partner is having all his extended family visiting Michigan from multiple states, some of whom are travelling via other states, including New York, en route. All staying in the family home, with an overflow into local hotels. He’s a republican, needless to say, and does not care about COVID one bit. My mother in law is going upstate to the cabin tomorrow to stay away from it all for a few weeks. And he is by no means unique.

Yeah fairly late in the day alright. Saw Biden will only be having dinner with his wife and 1 other person to send out a message. Will be interesting to see if there's an overlap of states which have most incoming people have the biggest spikes. It's probably the last thing they need with their case numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Heavily front loaded with the death rate with Covid ..

Fact is the IFR is rapidly decreasing and verging toward flu - new paper was stating around 0.14% IFR for CV19 - flu is ~0.1% .. other papers are showing around 0.2% ... Covid is more dangerous - but not as more as originally thought.

Facts are flu is MORE dangerous for kids then covid - check the numbers.
    About the same for young healthy adults and a lot worse for older compromised people - and these accounts for vast majority of deaths...

I know that dissapoints people like you, but these are the facts!!

If we didn't have a vaccine for the flu every year I'd guess there could be public health restrictions on an annual basis to limit the spread of the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is there a briefing at 5.30 or running late.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bazermc wrote: »
    Is there a briefing at 5.30 or running late.

Running late

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Funny how the briefing almost always lines up with the 6:01 news

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

4 deaths and 429 cases.

To be perfectly honest I've no idea where they've got 429 from, no backlog from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Funny how the briefing almost always lines up with the 6:01 news

Funny how I haven't seen them leading with it in a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

429?? What

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,764 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

R gone up 0.7 to 0.9

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement