Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Maximum fear coming into the weekend

Go on Dr. Nolan, give us the reason why the R number has increased in the past few days. Answer: Outbreaks in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Does anyone genuinely know where they’ve gotten the extra 100 cases from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MOR316 wrote: »
    Bingo themed house parties?

Outdoor pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Since 3rd October I now have it that swabs are 54 ahead of cases. So the extra today could be a backlog from somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's also taught me that some people are behaving like man babies, crying and needing protection (or a safe space at least) from medical experts.

You should stop being so angry. No one is out to get you.

If I was in Australia I wouldnt be so sure about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

:P
    Queried wrote: »
    This may have been addressed already but does anyone know the difference between PCR testing and LAMP testing? Is one better/more accurate than the other?

PCR is more accurate and needs more lab time to analyse.

You get the results quicker with lamp tests but it's elss accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I think over weekend or Monday the announced was lower than swabs, think theyve held back some from then.

At least we will likely have a good number tomorrow to cheer us up for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

ElTel wrote: »
    Nolan "Looking at all tests of all types...."

Yeah I noticed he said that. He also referenced community (non hospital) positivity rate being as high as 8%?

Thank **** no mink tested positive, because you can be sure as **** they would be added into released case numbers.... only to be denotifed at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I thought last Sep that we would be in lockdown from Nov to Feb at least.

Looks like I am going to be right.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Tony the grinch...... there's a real power struggle between nphet and the government, but thats what happens when you let people call the shots with no clear boundaries. the fact that they had to reiterate it again today that the government calls it, not nphet, shows it up. but we all know who calls it, and it ain't the three wise men. i've very little hope we'll have these restrictions lifted in any meaningful way for christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some electoral areas have High incidence of disease.
    The ones with Hospitals no doubt.

I live in the Swords LEA which was one of the high ones in Dublin last week, think it was 218/100k

No hospital but we do have the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Sorry but they're saying positivity is rising, thats just not correct, its decreasing again.

Some amount of waffle here

Not watching, who provided that fake news?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I heard on one tv station that most cases are in households.

Some Sherlock - where can anybody go to catch it?

No clue unless there's private tests which wouldn't be reported in the swabs but seems awfully high for private tests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Outdoor pints

Hmmm outdoor bingo pints...

Lord Farquaad will be deeply concerned about that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Looks like some workplaces gave up after the mid term break and got people into the office

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Dublin doubled in 24 hours

The numbers in some counties seem to fluctuate wildly, I've stopped focusing on their daily figures but fillow their 14 day averages.
    Gavan Reilly usually tweets a very good graph, gives a much better idea of how things are going.

Nolan is faffing a bit here, hopefully some journalist asks the pressing question where exactly the majority of clusters have occurred in the past week. In particular, what sectors of workforce. Instead of indiscriminately blaming the public for "letting things slip a bit".

They won't

• Advertisement

Zara is first. Of course, NPHET want the lightweight questions only :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i mean it is what it is, we had great progress and it's stalled a bit. that's clear. i don't see any conspiracy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought Nolan was, as usual, very fair there.

He acknowledged - multiple times - that great efforts have been made and we have, relative to where we were, made great progress. But things have stalled.

I've not seen my friends or family in 6 weeks, Tony...

Be cutting contacts out of my phone next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Always let Zara go first - in fairness I would too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not watching, who provided that fake news?

Nolan is being misquoted I think.

He said that psoitivity in the non hospital labs is increasing.

Im presuming that the hospital labs have been doing a lot of mass testing (everyone in the hospital) and don't reflect the true positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I thought the positivty rate is 2.7%?

It is like they are trying to steer discussions over the next several days about reopening plans.

I guess the Sunday papers will have all sorts of leaks so they see it as there best chance to dial up the fear rhetoric.

Don’t think the positivity rate was ever at 2.7% (in recent weeks).

I think it got down to 3.5%.

So 3.7% is an increase - one that dr Tony and nphet latched on to with gusto.

Funny how they never said how great it was when the 7.5% fell to 3.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alice14

I’m a healthcare worker in a large Dublin hospital and although I don’t agree with a lot of what is said on this thread the current situation is a sh*tshow where I work. Outbreaks on multiple wards over the last month to 6 weeks and not improving. Most of our covid cases were hospital acquired, I’d say about 60% . Mass testing happens on wards with outbreaks but it’s too late by then, and it seems to spread like wildfire.

I think people people in the community aren’t being as careful as during lockdown number 1 and that’s resulting in increased cases but it’s not the whole story. And I don’t seem nphet/ HSE suggesting what they are going to do differently to solve the hospital issue because what they’re doing at the moment isn’t working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Sorry but they're saying positivity is rising, thats just not correct, its decreasing again.

Some amount of waffle here

But the data we see is two days old. They see more recent data I guess.

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    i mean it is what it is, we had great progress and it's stalled a bit. that's clear. i don't see any conspiracy here.

Stalled last week and reducing again last few days. Complete opposite of what's being portrayed here in this press conference.

I'm not calling conspiracy, but we've had swabs v cases line up more or less spot on the last few days and then they come out with cases nearly 100 more than swabs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement