Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Enjoyed everything except his post fight interview. Please stop the Conor impression James. Even changes his accent, it's ludicrous.

"Who do you want to fight next?"
    "All of them".

He tries too hard. If he just let his fighting do the talking he'd be grand and win far more fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Enjoyed everything except his post fight interview. Please stop the Conor impression James. Even changes his accent, it's ludicrous.

"Who do you want to fight next?"
    "All of them".

He tries too hard. If he just let his fighting do the talking he'd be grand and win far more fans.

Exactly. The boasting about being the greatest when he has fought a string of bums is obnoxious, but it wouldn't matter if he was the greatest fighter to ever step into the cage. Copying the persona, traits, accent, tattoos, phrases and fecking everything of another person is pathetic and cringy beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Brett Johns is in the mix now, I think he schools Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whelo79 wrote: »
    His persona is just so unlikeable, I just can't take to him at all. The only thing I actually like about him is his bjj skills. Unquestionably a fantastic talent when it hits the ground. That little move in the scramble, after the initial takedown, to wrap up the leg and transition to the back so quickly and smoothly was beautiful.

And I've met him a few times, trained with him and he's a really nice kid. The persona is awful though but they all seem to have this mouthy scumbag attitude.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob316 wrote: »
    And I've met him a few times, trained with him and he's a really nice kid. The persona is awful though but they all seem to have this mouthy scumbag attitude.

His persona actually puts me off rooting for him. I want to like him, he's Irish so by default I would be rooting for him but that persona just makes me cringe so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Alot of Irish fighters seem to have this idea that if they act like Conor they'll get his big paydays. Conor atleast backed up his big mouth and did fight the top guys [and lost to some of them] thus earning his pay checks. Discount Conor Gallagher is being protected all the way, fighting cans, and yet is the main event. This will wear thin on the audience eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Same as - he's a nice chap, it's jarring to hear the persona speaking. If it gets him paid, I won't begrudge him but it doesn't work for me personally. Beautiful trip to the back take and looked excellent and controlling after that. Great performance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Alot of Irish fighters seem to have this idea that if they act like Conor they'll get his big paydays. Conor atleast backed up his big mouth and did fight the top guys [and lost to some of them] thus earning his pay checks. Discount Conor Gallagher is being protected all the way, fighting cans, and yet is the main event. This will wear thin on the audience eventually.

McGregor wasn't just a mouth either. His was pretty funny and his trash talk was good. He was genuinely entertaining to watch and listen too. He didn't just roar 'I'm the best' over and over again. These guys don't realise it was that part of McGregor we loved (and his fighting as well obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

McGregor wasn't just a mouth either. His was pretty funny and his trash talk was good. He was genuinely entertaining to watch and listen too. He didn't just roar 'I'm the best' over and over again. These guys don't realise it was that part of McGregor we loved (and his fighting as well obviously).

Conor was really witty and charismatic at first. And then he became a caricature of himself. Sadly its the caricature that people like Gallagher are imitating.

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Same as - he's a nice chap, it's jarring to hear the persona speaking. If it gets him paid, I won't begrudge him but it doesn't work for me personally. Beautiful trip to the back take and looked excellent and controlling after that. Great performance.

+1 met him in Strabane when he did a homecoming and taught us a class in his original gym of SBG Strabane. Was about 3 years ago when he was breaking through. Really nice young lad. So helpful and knowledgeable. His jiu-jitsu is off the charts. Has to be one of the best in Ireland at his age.

Just a shame that he still hasn't realized ripping off Conor's persona isn't winning him any fans. But then again if it's getting him main events and the Bellator bosses are liking it then fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His jiu-jitsu is off the charts. Has to be one of the best in Ireland at his age.

Really? I know he was highly touted as a juvenile blue belt going to worlds. But nothing really came of that. Kinda assumed he reasonably focused on MMA after that.
    At this point there are guy age focused fully on jiu jitsu.

His jiu-jitsu is off the charts. Has to be one of the best in Ireland at his age.

Really? I know he was highly touted as a juvenile blue belt going to worlds. But nothing really came of that. Kinda assumed he reasonably focused on MMA after that.

Mellor wrote: »

I meant in high-level MMA, not necessarily just world jiu-jitsu comps. Can you name anyone better?

I meant in high-level MMA, not necessarily just world jiu-jitsu comps. Can you name anyone better?

I wasn’t talking about worldwide jiu jitsu either. I meant just among younger Irish guys. But not mma specific. There’s a few of young black belts it’s at ECJJ like Tom Halpin.
    In MMA specifically I’m can’t think of too many bjj focused guys. Richie Smullen is pretty high ranked in SBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    I wasn’t talking about worldwide jiu jitsu either. I meant just among younger Irish guys. But not mma specific. There’s a few of young black belts it’s at ECJJ like Tom Halpin.
    In MMA specifically I’m can’t think of too many bjj focused guys. Richie Smullen is pretty high ranked in SBG.
    Richie has solid BJJ.
    Does Kieran Davern do MMA these days? He'd be fairly up there as well, along with a few non SBG heads like you mentioned.
    I'd say there'll be a few good ones coming from Team KF with Tom and Chris teaching their ways.

Davern is one of the top jiu jitsu competitors. Hasn’t fought in MMA in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well I obviously won't deny Gallagher put on a good dominant show, I just wish he would drop that cringe-inducing persona, it's so embarrassing to watch.....it's like watching a bad actor over-act in a soap opera, just so blatantly forced.

But yeah pretty good performance to be fair. Now time to start giving him some proper names in Bellator.

Was shocked at how bad Kiefer Crosbie looked. No Fight IQ at all, just walk forward, drop hands, and take shots over and over. Really weird performance. When the commentator was talking about how he said he had no game plan, I didn't think it was that literal.

Charlie Ward was...OK. Clearly lacking on the ground but actually didn't do too horribly considering his opponent should have had a massive advantage there but Ward had dominant control time. Manzolo was active from his back but not really threatening. So I think he deserved the win and usually he's an entertaining fighter to watch.

Missed Sinead Kavanagh's fight but glad she won, she's a good scrapper to watch.

I know it wasn't this event but great win for Brian Moore the other day as well, those uppercuts were amazing! He comes across as a nice, genuine guy, no rubbish talk, just entertaining fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kiefer graduated from the Cathal Pendred school of head movement with full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

ASOT wrote: »
    Kiefer graduated from the Cathal Pendred school of head movement with full marks.

Never a truer statement, he was close to being out at the end of Rd1 and it should really have been stopped. Fair play to Kavanagh, seems to be more focused and made weight easy enough which has not always been the case.

As much as I dislike Gallagher and the poor quality of the opposition he did what he does well, really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Terry Brazier was a -300 favourite and just got absolutely demolished.

https://twitter.com/Bellator_Europe/status/1315011062882881537?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy ****! That was so clean, ko stiff, the lack of follow up as there was no need and ref quick to step in, absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I've been watching KSW tonight too. I'm always hugely impressed with show they put on. Visually it always looks amazing and tonight is no different. It looks like it's in a warehouse, fighters are coming down to the octagon from the upper level via a cage elevator, everything lit up in a real dim industrial orange colour. Few fans in attendance too just sitting at ringside seats. The fights have been OK, nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

I've been watching KSW tonight too. I'm always hugely impressed with show they put on. Visually it always looks amazing and tonight is no different. It looks like it's in a warehouse, fighters are coming down to the octagon from the upper level via a cage elevator, everything lit up in a real dim industrial orange colour. Few fans in attendance too just sitting at ringside seats. The fights have been OK, nothing special.

Khalidov KO was :eek::eek:

I see Sinead Kavanagh pushing hard for the Cyborg fight lately. I only see that going one way. All Cyborg, and she finishes it whenever she wants (10 seconds, 1 minute, 2 rounds, whenever).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I see Sinead Kavanagh pushing hard for the Cyborg fight lately. I only see that going one way. All Cyborg, and she finishes it whenever she wants (10 seconds, 1 minute, 2 rounds, whenever).

think cyborg vs katie taylor is more likely atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mason Jones signed a 4 fight UFC deal. I know this as there was another totally original, absolutely in no way a faked or staged video where Boylan gives his fighter the good news.

Pedro Carvalho (SBG) is up against Patricio Pitbull tomorrow night for the Bellator Featerweight title as part of the Featherweight Grand Prix. I'd love to see him get the win.

I remember watching him as the main event up in Drogheda on a Cage Legacy card only a couple of years ago. Some journey, that was in a small dance hall and most of the crowd had already gone home by the time his fight was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Pedro Carvalho (SBG) is up against Patricio Pitbull tomorrow night for the Bellator Featerweight title as part of the Featherweight Grand Prix. I'd love to see him get the win.

I remember watching him as the main event up in Drogheda on a Cage Legacy card only a couple of years ago. Some journey, that was in a small dance hall and most of the crowd had already gone home by the time his fight was on.

Was there myself that night, pretty sure that was the night McGregor turned up too to support Lee Hammond. Such a well rounded fighter and nice guy. Hope he gets the win

Was there myself that night, pretty sure that was the night McGregor turned up too to support Lee Hammond. Such a well rounded fighter and nice guy. Hope he gets the win

Yeah that's right. There was a big SBG crowd in the audience that night.

Pedro does seem like a good lad. He was working as a cleaner in a hospital when he first game over here in order to pay his way.

• Advertisement

Y'all v quiet esp as Bellator 252 live and free on youtube atm...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7cMYlIcZXQ

Keri Melendez looked amazing (opponent not great to be fair) but still. Gill her corner :) She wants to move up a weight class - makes sense. Aiming for Ilima Lei I guess, but good luck with that!
    Pico looking crazy strong vs Jesus on now, and Patriky vs Carvelho coming up. Hopefully still on free to air?

Advertisement