Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

My quote:

12x Qcells 340w split panels (slate roof mounted)
    Solis 5kw Hybrid Inverter
    Puredrive 4.8kw Battery

I already have an Eddi with my current 7 panel system.

€7950 gross
    €7350 after battery grant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You’re spending a lot of money on moving from a straight inverter to a hybrid and battery setup, have you done the math on the cost differential payback?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    You’re spending a lot of money on moving from a straight inverter to a hybrid and battery setup, have you done the math on the cost differential payback?

Need a new inverter for the extra panels anyway - so my thought process was why not go the extra mile and get the hybrid and battery?

I'd say the next car in ~2 years will be a pure electric so I'm hoping that the setup will make sense then.

If I just upgrade the inverter I'll end up giving ESB a lot of free power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've spent considerable amount of time doing all the required calculations for his setup. And I have the answer. It is 46.79 years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Deagol wrote: »
    My quote:

Puredrive 4.8kw Battery

€7950 gross

Are you replacing the existing panels or adding to the system?

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    Are you replacing the existing panels or adding to the system?

Adding to exiting 7 panel (2.1kw) system.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

rx8 wrote: »
    PM Sent.
    Fit as many panels as you can would be my advice. Then you will maximise your production.
    Prices seem to be way too high there.

Would be interested in getting installers references too, if possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

Deagol wrote: »
    My quote:

Puredrive 4.8kw Battery

€7950 gross

Looking at the prices, panels and inverter are like 3-3,5k. Installation let's assume 1-1,5k.

Can't see any financial justification at this point to install battery for 3-4k extra esp if you do not have EV at this point of time.

In 2 years you might see better panels, cheaper batteries and FIT from goverment, which would make battery useless from financial point of view.
    If I were you, I would wait these 2 years, change to EV first, see what FIT (or some other form of compensation) they will intorduce next year and only then recalculate what you should install on the roof.

See unkel post...ROI = 46 years...crazy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

Rzeznik wrote: »
    Looking at the prices, panels and inverter are like 3-3,5k. Installation let's assume 1-1,5k.

Can't see any financial justification at this point to install battery for 3-4k extra esp if you do not have EV at this point of time.

Eh ? Yes panels and inverter are like 3-3,5k, but it seems that many installers are taking pretty much the same again in the install costs but take away the grant and costs for most then become acceptible. What annoys me is that installers are possibly getting at least 20% discount on the 3-3.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭rx8

deliege wrote: »
    Would be interested in getting installers references too, if possible ?

No problem, Sent now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I know references are PM only. Agree with that concept.

Where's the best place to see reviews of installations, where I can assume installers can then be named? Is there a thread for that?

Would be a great starting point for first timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

championc wrote: »
    Eh ? Yes panels and inverter are like 3-3,5k, but it seems that many installers are taking pretty much the same again in the install costs but take away the grant and costs for most then become acceptible. What annoys me is that installers are possibly getting at least 20% discount on the 3-3.5k

If I understood it correctly, in the case I commented, the grant for the system was already used (apart from battery).

With grant they can quote crazy prices I agree but if you used the grant already or you can't use it for whatever reason then they will not have any business with quotes like 3k for a 1-2 days job.
    Nobody sane will pay this kind of money, it would make no financial sense then to have any solar on your roof.

From what happened with my installation:
    Panels on the roof is an 1-3hr job for a team of 3 (depends on number of panels - I have 8 - 1,5 hr in my case).
    Electric side is a 1 day job, maybe 1,5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭championc

My point is that if you look at "retail" prices on midsummer.ie or on solartricity.ie, the installers will be getting wholesale prices in excess of 20% lower. That in itself is a decent margin. But they then whack another 2k or so on top (or 2k + grant).

The grant should realistrcally pay for a free installation, but never will.

Rzeznik wrote: »

In 2 years you might see better panels, cheaper batteries and FIT from goverment, which would make battery useless from financial point of view.
    If I were you, I would wait these 2 years, change to EV first, see what FIT (or some other form of compensation) they will intorduce next year and only then recalculate what you should install on the roof.

See unkel post...ROI = 46 years...crazy ;)

Dunno where you're getting your numbers from but they are way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭idc

Using midsummer kitbuilder with exact same number and configuration of panels i have, they don't sell the make of panels or inverter battery hybrid i have so I had to substitute those for other brands.

But all in panels / inverter / batteries / hooks/ rails/ isolating switches / cabling came to 6728 euro (including vat)

My installer price after grant was 6800! so from that alone why would i do it myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You will pay full 21% VAT rate on your purchases don't forget, clever Installer will pay service VAT rate of 13.5% on materials which will reduce pass on price to you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 noelocon

jod1983 wrote: »
    Now this looks alot better:D

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4.2 KW. JA SOLAR 25 YEAR GUARANTEE
    4.8 PYLON BATTERY 3.6 SOLIS INVERTER
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE
    ALL WORK CARRIED OUT BY OUR TRAINED ROOFERS /ELECTRICANS APPOX. 2 DAYS
    PRICE 9500 EUROS (grant available 3000)

thanks for every ones feedback to me.

Still waiting on a few more

Any chance you'd PM me the details of who you're getting the panels from.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

noelocon wrote: »
    Any chance you'd PM me the details of who you're getting the panels from.

PM sent

You will pay full 21% VAT rate on your purchases don't forget, clever Installer will pay service VAT rate of 13.5% on materials which will reduce pass on price to you

What do people expect though? Get panels installed for the same price as a DIY job? Everyone has to eat, so if the grant means you pay a few hundred more like the above quote for a professional install what’s the issue? Everyone knows doing DIY route for anything will
    be cheaper as labour is a huge part of any job.

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    What do people expect though? Get panels installed for the same price as a DIY job? Everyone has to eat, so if the grant means you pay a few hundred more like the above quote for a professional install what’s the issue? Everyone knows doing DIY route for anything will
    be cheaper as labour is a huge part of any job.

My post is the exact opposite of your point !! I've noticed a lot self installs claiming it is so much cheaper, yet for for someone whos never bought a panel or rail directly to fit myself going to midsummer and getting a similar setup i would in fact have paid the same amount for the products that i got from installer but grant covered all his installation costs. So in my case DIY would be more expensive if you factor in time and effort i would need to do the install and especially as it would be new to me thus take longer than someone who does this for a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

idc wrote: »
    My post is the exact opposite of your point !! I've noticed a lot self installs claiming it is so much cheaper, yet for for someone whos never bought a panel or rail directly to fit myself going to midsummer and getting a similar setup i would in fact have paid the same amount for the products that i got from installer but grant covered all his installation costs. So in my case DIY would be more expensive if you factor in time and effort i would need to do the install and especially as it would be new to me thus take longer than someone who does this for a living.

I checked out the SAAS offer against. buying the kit. There was a couple of hundred in it plus grant and they do Al the work and cover it in the event something goes wrong

I checked out the SAAS offer against. buying the kit. There was a couple of hundred in it plus grant and they do Al the work and cover it in the event something goes wrong

I only saw that company after my install. For the panel/inverter only option is a great deal but if you add batteries/eddi etc then it actually worked out around the same price as system I got.

My post is the exact opposite of your point !! I've noticed a lot self installs claiming it is so much cheaper, yet for for someone whos never bought a panel or rail directly to fit myself going to midsummer and getting a similar setup i would in fact have paid the same amount for the products that i got from installer but grant covered all his installation costs. So in my case DIY would be more expensive

Yep I've been saying that for years on this forum but a lot of people seem to not believe me.

Pretty much the whole subsidy goes to the installer, to cover their labour and their profits. That's what generally happens with subsidies. A feed in tariff would have been a much more efficient spending of tax payers money, leading to much more PV wattage on people's roofs per Euro of subsdiy

DIY can of course be much cheaper, but only if you manage to buy the parts way cheaper than retail prices (I did)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I only saw that company after my install. For the panel/inverter only option is a great deal but if you add batteries/eddi etc then it actually worked out around the same price as system I got.
    They are at pains to tell people not to get the extra kit as it just isnt cost effective.

They are at pains to tell people not to get the extra kit as it just isnt cost effective.

If i was doing it again i'd probably not get the eddi. But yes to batteries. I know there is a lot of debate around pros/cons of getting battery or not but I'd still prefer to have mine. obviously time will tell as to how long they last or are worth it.

Talk about getting it arse ways! Agree with you completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

Hi everyone

trying to figure out a right quotation/setup for my house, 3 bedroom + attic conversion semidetached, oil heating, 2 adults 1 baby currently living, south east roof facing, we will work from home most of the time anyway with 2-3 PCs turned on at the same time.

I've been recommended the following
    6 x 340w monocrystalline JA Solar Panels with a 25 Year Performance Warranty.
    1 x Solis inverter,
    1 x Solar Iboost (Hot Water)

Cost of the system will be €3,790 (including VAT and 1800 Euro Grant)

some questions
    - is it a good quotation?
    - is it useful a battery in my case (even a small one) or makes sense to invest the the Solar iBoost (hot water)?

thanks
    ale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

alesironi wrote: »
    Hi everyone

trying to figure out a right quotation/setup for my house, 3 bedroom + attic conversion semidetached, oil heating, 2 adults 1 baby currently living, south east roof facing, we will work from home most of the time anyway with 2-3 PCs turned on at the same time.

I've been recommended the following
    6 x 340w monocrystalline JA Solar Panels with a 25 Year Performance Warranty.
    1 x Solis inverter,
    1 x Solar Iboost (Hot Water)

Cost of the system will be €3,790 (including VAT and 1800 Euro Grant)

some questions
    - is it useful a battery in my case (even a small one) or makes sense to invest the the Solar iBoost (hot water)?

thanks
    ale

You can get a slightly bigger array than that installed for 2,400e repaid over ten years. With such a small array there is no point in a battery or a diverter

alesironi wrote: »
    some questions

No, no and don't get an iBoost either. None of that will ever pay for itself. Have a look at some of the other quotes in this thread that are much better than the one you got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 alesironi

Alkers wrote: »
    You can get a slightly bigger array than that installed for 2,400e repaid over ten years. With such a small array there is no point in a battery or a diverter

Sent PM, would appreciate if you share details.

thanks
    ale

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement