Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Comments

Give the volume of packages we get, rhe free postage alone covers that fee. By and large we get 2 day or faster delivery, unless an item is out of stock and it tells you the expected date of delivery before ordering.

I am a Prime member and yesterday ordered 4 items - not one of them had a delivery date sooner than Monday 16 November. I checked random other Prime items to Ireland and every single one of them is now saying 16 November. Thats a week for delivery.
    Its a pain but I'm ok with that as I have been hearing there is an enormous backlog of post and parcels in a depot in Dublin and An Post is swamped. I also think the free P&P for £7.99 a month is brilliant. For that alone I will put up with delays especially in a lockdown and in the run up to Christmas.

By comparison I tried to buy loose tea leaves from an Irish company based in Carlow and the postage was €6.99 for 100g of tea! Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I am a Prime member and yesterday ordered 4 items - not one of them had a delivery date sooner than Monday 16 November. I checked random other Prime items to Ireland and every single one of them is now saying 16 November. Thats a week for delivery.
    Its a pain but I'm ok with that as I have been hearing there is an enormous backlog of post and parcels in a depot in Dublin and An Post is swamped. I also think the free P&P for £7.99 a month is brilliant. For that alone I will put up with delays especially in a lockdown and in the run up to Christmas.

By comparison I tried to buy loose tea leaves from an Irish company based in Carlow and the postage was €6.99 for 100g of tea! Go figure.

But stuff isn't taking that long for the most part. The problem as always isn't with the (Prime) delivery its the time it takes for an item to be dispatched thats slowing things down.

Wake me up when it's all over.

But stuff isn't taking that long for the most part. The problem as always isn't with the (Prime) delivery its the time it takes for an item to be dispatched thats slowing things down.

What do you mean by the "time it takes for an item to be dispatched that's slowing things down"? I kinda thought that was the reason for Prime, it was dispatched on the same day hopefully??
    If the item is dispatched the same day how can they predict even before you order it that you will not get it until 16 November, a full week away? This happened with 4 separate items I ordered yesterday, while they are all in one batch they ALL said delivery on 16 November. :confused:

I've just gone back and checked my order and yes it says in the confirmation email that they will let me know as soon as items are dispatched.
    So the delay is coming from the seller of the item?? Maybe I just don't understand how Amazon/Amazon Prime works? I assumed Prime means all items were available for dispatch on the same/or next day.......otherwise is cheap/free postage the only advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I ordered two items last night. One due Thursday, the other Saturday but I'm actually expecting them both to come together as it's the same item just two different sizes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Well, don't disagree with that statement. But it is remarkable how (all of) the items I ordered for delivery here and take a week, can avail of of one day delivery (sometimes 2) if I choose Northern Ireland address. So I can't believe dispatch time to have been an issue.

What do you mean by the "time it takes for an item to be dispatched that's slowing things down"? I kinda thought that was the reason for Prime, it was dispatched on the same day hopefully??
    If the item is dispatched the same day how can they predict even before you order it that you will not get it until 16 November, a full week away? This happened with 4 separate items I ordered yesterday, while they are all in one batch they ALL said delivery on 16 November. :confused:

Thats right that is the idea of Prime but just see how long you have to wait for dispatch if you don't have Prime.

Even the the Dispatch info seems to be fake now. A lot of items say dispatched and when you check they still bounce around Amazon before getting out of one of their warehouses. Two items I have have are showing as shipped since yesterday. Their route shows a couple of scans leaving then arriving at Saint Helens, Merseyside GB yesterday but the An Post tracking number doesn't work yet so effectively the item hasn't been dispatched. Once An Post get a package the two days start for me.

Well, don't disagree with that statement. But it is remarkable how (all of) the items I ordered for delivery here and take a week, can avail of of one day delivery (sometimes 2) if I choose Northern Ireland address. So I can't believe dispatch time to have been an issue.

Its remarkable because Amazon sit on stuff for Ireland and prioritize UK orders when they are under pressure.

It looks like they expect the actual delivery part to take 2 days here but then alter their workload in the warehouse by changing the delivery options knowing that the delivery will still take the same time.

All they do is just change the delivery times by a couple of days and if they need to they can leave Irish stuff on the shelves until they have time to get around to it.

IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Are amazon using DPD now. I ordered something and its DPD will deliver its a small package

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

dave1982 wrote: »
    Are amazon using DPD now. I ordered something and its DPD will deliver its a small package

My prime day laptop came via DPD. It was like they didn't trust their own couriers with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

dave1982 wrote: »

I’ve had a couple of orders via DPD. They happened to be predominantly kitchen stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Ordered phone on Tuesday with priority delivery. Got email on Thursday to say it had been despatched for delivery on Monday. Got email on Monday saying it will be Wednesday. Tracking is empty apart from "package has shipped", no scans. An Post haven't received it.

I have a feeling I won't be getting this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I’ve had a couple of orders via DPD. They happened to be predominantly kitchen stuff.

+1. Only got DPD for a coffee machine (large and heavy).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Amazon use randon couriers I have been sent just with DPD, UPS, An Post and Royal Mail direct to Ireland in last 3-4 weeks.

Item sizes didnt matter as had large and very small items with same couriers.

However most of my stuff now is by Amazon Logistics as I am near their Rathcoole warehouse. They deliver late at night though 8-9pm.

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Ordered phone on Tuesday with priority delivery. Got email on Thursday to say it had been despatched for delivery on Monday. Got email on Monday saying it will be Wednesday. Tracking is empty apart from "package has shipped", no scans. An Post haven't received it.

I have a feeling I won't be getting this phone.

Talking to postman yesterday and he said he has had a lot of customers looking for Amazon parcels that have never arrived.

If its any consolation my son received some computer memory in the post last week that he'd got a refund for 2 months ago.

On another point An Post are now doing some Saturday morning parcel deliveries. Its area based and up to the local postman agreeing to do overtime (double time 9-12) so I don't think it will apply everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

4 of my orders have gone missing in the last 2 weeks which I have been refunded for. I re-ordered and they are a few days late now. I have a TV I ordered and a baby crib that is pending dispatch for the last week. I've been given in total £20 in vouchers as a gesture at least. Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

Lot of bad experiences here...

I'm a heavy user of Amazon (and even more during pandemic, almost package per day). I've noticed all deliveries handled by Amazon logistics in Ireland have cut their delivery times from the expected date when ordered and these guys work too much, I get deliveries after 9pm sometimes.

About those deliveries with AnPost, these guys are just overloaded, nothing to blame on anybody, people just order everything online. Tracking numbers for AnPost don't activate until AnPost actually receives the item so yeah, even if it says dispatched...doesn't mean AnPost knows it :D It all depends on those Amazon Prime planes moving merch around EU.

I haven't had anything lost (yet) but few things delayed mostly by AnPost or DPD but can you do? If you really need it quick you can go to the local shop...oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Some of my orders getting here by an post arrive in as quickly as two days, others are taking up to 10 days. Got refunded for quite a few items only to have them arrive later the same day but amazon said to keep the refunds, don’t know how long they can keep the refunding up for?!

Had more orders than usual being sent by DPD, including several small, cheap, single items but even DPD is running a bit late, usually only by a day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Delivery time for an order I just placed is 11 days. Most of my orders over the last while had only Free as delivery option. This time there was also a Priority option but this had the same delivery time as Free.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What we sort of already knew....says next day delivery is for SOME Prime members....a trial perhaps?

I've got deliveries next day including Sunday so may be one of the lucky ones.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/technology/amazon-offers-one-day-delivery-as-irish-retailers-fight-for-a-share-of-online-trade-on-green-friday-39736133.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have had three packages now in last week delayed so far as Amazon offered refund.

These were all dispatched by amazon coming through the Merseyside depo but not arriving anywhere after they leave there. My daughter has another two that will be eligible for a refund tomorrow, they also seem to have disappeared after the Merseyside depo.

What’s the story with this. Is this just volume overload or what.

Am unsure what to do now, do I reorder, do I source elsewhere.

What are the chances these will turn up over next few weeks anyway ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

_Brian wrote: »
    What’s the story with this. Is this just volume overload or what.

Am unsure what to do now, do I reorder, do I source elsewhere.

What are the chances these will turn up over next few weeks anyway ??

An Post have a huge backlog of Amazon deliveries. They will most likely turn up eventually.

For the first time in ages I have a parcel that’s been sent with Asendia, never though I’d see Amazon using them again after all the missing/delayed parcels! It was dispatched on the 6th and due on the 16th, 10 days minimum as standard in true Asendia fashion :pac:

For the first time in ages I have a parcel that’s been sent with Asendia, never though I’d see Amazon using them again after all the missing/delayed parcels! It was dispatched on the 6th and due on the 16th, 10 days minimum as standard in true Asendia fashion :pac:

With Prime?

I had that and a late parcel back in the Summer, got a fiver credit when I complained that I paid for prime just to get away from having to deal with Asendia, iParcel and xxxxxx Fastways.

Just checked the items I have outstanding and already got one with the dreaded msg
    We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by 14 November, you can come back here the next day for a refund.

And typically its something I really want and Amazon are now out of stock.

EDIT - Is it just my imagination or are smaller items getting through quicker with An Post than larger ones. All the small items I've bought like computer cables are on track but larger items like garden tools and larger computer items are getting stuck.

With Prime?

I had that and a late parcel back in the Summer, got a fiver credit when I complained that I paid for prime just to get away from having to deal with Asendia, iParcel and xxxxxx Fastways.

Yeah it was marked as a prime item! I’m afraid to rock the boat at the moment as they’ve refunded me a fair bit lately and I got to keep the items when they came but if it’s two or three days late I’ll definitely be requesting another refund.

I have no idea how Asendia are even still in business, of all the couriers/postal systems I find them the worst and of all the amazon deliveries I’ve had the only ones that have truly gone missing never to be seen again were sent with them, the others usually show up eventuality.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just checked the items I have outstanding and already got one with the dreaded msg

EDIT - Is it just my imagination or are smaller items getting through quicker with An Post than larger ones. All the small items I've bought like computer cables are on track but larger items like garden tools and larger computer items are getting stuck.

I've had several like that over the last couple of weeks, many have had the refund applied, all turned up in the end. I honestly don't mind, as if it was anything that I urgently needed, I'd just go local.

My most recent bargain delivery was a light switch for £0.93, hand delivered by UPS. Greta would not be happy :D.

I just checked and you’re right, from dispatch cat treats took 2 days, nail care kit took 4 days including the weekend, coat rack took 9 days and vacuum cleaner has not shown up after 6 days so far, stuck in the Dublin parcel hub as usual, probably won’t see it until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's not really an issue of parcels getting lost, it's just huge An Post backlog. Items being delivered by Amazon themselves are arriving in a timely manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

It looks that, if only Amazon maintain their growing commitment to the Irish market in spite of Brexit, Anpost are going to be gradually relieved by them from deliveries on the most profitable routes. Huge opportunity lost it I suppose. But hey, whenever I talk to Anpost employees they only seem frustrated having to handle Amazon parcels.

Advertisement