Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Application

Options
  • 09-11-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I handed in a firearm application in Co. Kildare at the very start of October. I got a call last week from a guard looking for more info. I sent it off to him and he said I would hear from them this week, all I got this morning was a letter saying, a decision will be made normally within 3 months of the 1st of November! So buy February 2021, by this point I will have already missed the hunting season, so I guess I was just trying to see if anyone else had this letter saying they received your application, is there much longer to wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

kjl412 wrote: »
    I handed in a firearm application in Co. Kildare at the very start of October. I got a call last week from a guard looking for more info. I sent it off to him and he said I would hear from them this week, all I got this morning was a letter saying, a decision will be made normally within 3 months of the 1st of November! So buy February 2021, by this point I will have already missed the hunting season, so I guess I was just trying to see if anyone else had this letter saying they received your application, is there much longer to wait?

Yeah they can process them a lot faster when they want to, but in fairness did you realistically think that by putting in an application on the 01st of October that you'ld have it by the 01st of November?....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 kjl412

Yeah they can process them a lot faster when they want to, but in fairness did you realistically think that by putting in an application on the 01st of October that you'ld have it by the 01st of November?....

No I did not, but at the same time I did think that the date that I handed it in, would be the date that the application started. So the latest I could have it would be the start of January that’s all. Saying that would it really be that hard to come up with a system to make the whole process a bit quicker, it just feels like they make it so tedious on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Keep ringing the superintendent's office for progress on the application. It speeds things up.

Keep ringing the superintendent's office for progress on the application. It speeds things up.

Thanks for the advice, wasn't sure if contacting them about would speed it up or slow it down. I have the email for the firearms section in the garda station am I better to give them an email or a ring? Also any advice on how often? Don't want to over do it, but I really want to get this over the line. It's been about 7 years since I've been out rough shooting and both me and the dog are dying to get back with not much else to get up to in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Ive received that letter in the post a week after I received the actual licence so I wouldn't take it for gosbel.

Also just received a new rifle licence after 14 weeks waiting. Best you can do is contact the FO and try see where you stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’ve received that letter after I received the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

At least with that letter your license process has started.

Ring up the Super's office once a week and enquire as to the progress.

The license can take any time.
    For me it took from a couple of weeks to 8 months, that was for my 308 stalking license. There were 3 changes of a Super in that time.
    Got a sub in 2 days (new license was with me in that time).
    I've also got the license and that letter in the post the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Thanks for the advice, wasn't sure if contacting them about would speed it up or slow it down. I have the email for the firearms section in the garda station am I better to give them an email or a ring? Also any advice on how often? Don't want to over do it, but I really want to get this over the line. It's been about 7 years since I've been out rough shooting and both me and the dog are dying to get back with not much else to get up to in these times.

When you ring the super's office the super hassles the FO to get it done. The FO is far more likely to get it done quicker when his/her superior is hassling them.

I would call once a week for a progress update. Once you're polite it really helps to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Not unheard of in the district where I live. Three weeks to a month generally is the norm for a licence application turn around around these parts, often a bit quicker.

When you ring the super's office the super hassles the FO to get it done. The FO is far more likely to get it done quicker when his/her superior is hassling them.

I would call once a week for a progress update. Once you're polite it really helps to speed things up.

Thanks a lot for the help, greatly appreciated and thanks to everyone else for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Normally get the letter after the license is approved:rolleyes:

Chiparus wrote: »

Yeah it's starting to seem like I'm the odd one out haha everyone else is getting them the other way round. Hopefully the one I actually want will be here soon anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's a different letter, the letter he got is the one everyone gets to let them know their application has been received and is being considered. The three months waiting time starts from the date of that letter, not from when the application was handed into the station.

In smaller stations the FO might wait until he/she has a few applications before going through them all, checking they are filled out properly and then forwarding them to the Super.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My experience has nearly always been:
    • Submit application
    • Wait between week(s) to month(s)
    • Receive letter (as abovE) about "we have received your application, a decision will be ......... blah, blah blah."
    • Receive grant letter within a week of the above letter
    • Pay for license and wait between one to two weeks for actual license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rick Dalton

Just wondering does anyone know when substituting a firearm like for like (in my case o/u shotgun for another o/u) are you required to pay for a new license again. I guessed that I would receive a new license with the new gun details but with the expiry of the old gun license. Or would it be treated as a whole new license where I pay the fee at the post office and then have a new 3 year license for the new gun.

I hope that’s clear....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The grand letter is just a formality usually, it gets sent out when they are processing the application usually.

You'll probably have the license in the next week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just wondering does anyone know when substituting a firearm like for like (in my case o/u shotgun for another o/u) are you required to pay for a new license again. I guessed that I would receive a new license with the new gun details but with the expiry of the old gun license. Or would it be treated as a whole new license where I pay the fee at the post office and then have a new 3 year license for the new gun.

I hope that’s clear....

No charge for a substitution Rick, you guessed right first time.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

No charge for a substitution Rick, you guessed right first time.

Ah many thanks for clearing that up for me... as we seem to have a good FO who I managed to catch at the station when handing in the paperwork I’m quietly confident of having the new gun for when we get back in action.... handed in the paperwork weekend just gone so I’ll let ye know when I get the license back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

That's a different letter, the letter he got is the one everyone gets to let them know their application has been received and is being considered. The three months waiting time starts from the date of that letter, not from when the application was handed into the station.

In smaller stations the FO might wait until he/she has a few applications before going through them all, checking they are filled out properly and then forwarding them to the Super.

No , thats the letter I get after my license has been approved !!!

I get the letter with .........your application is approved .........please bring this the the post office and pay", then the next day I get the simple letter that my license application is being considered .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No , thats the letter I get after my license has been approved !!!

I get the letter with .........your application is approved .........please bring this the the post office and pay", then the next day I get the simple letter that my license application is being considered .

I've often got the grant letter (the one you bring to the post office) before I got the 'licence application is being considered..3 months. yada yada yada.

Very inefficient system but nothing new there.

• Advertisement

I handed in substitution paperwork for a shotgun on 8th of November and got the license today in the post. It seems to be pretty efficient and I have to say the FO knows his stuff and is on the ball and is extremely helpful and generally sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocKS123

They sometimes say it can take up to 3 months to process the application. I have applications taken this long and one which was done within a week of submission.

Advertisement