Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

My room where I had my bike is now my office and my OH has moved in which means the bikes are now in the shed.

I have gone to stupid lengths to secure them and still I'm having sleepless nights

Your OH should do the decent thing and move in to your shed!

Mine are in a locked storage room and double locked to the wall In that room. If scumbags want them badly enough they’ll get them but at least they’ll have to work for them and an opportunist thief won’t have a chance of taking them.

What lock system do Boardsies find to be the most dependable??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used to have the good one in the attic but it became such a hassle getting it in and out. All in the shed now but I have multiple kryptonite locks, tied to shelves, lawnmowers, and other equipment. If they nick it, they will have worked hard for it and hopefully my tremendously stupid dogs will have woken up and started barking before they are through all of the locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Gavlor wrote: »

Mine are in a locked storage room and double locked to the wall In that room. If scumbags want them badly enough they’ll get them but at least they’ll have to work for them and an opportunist thief won’t have a chance of taking them.

To be fair, I'm in a terraced house so tough to get into the garden, I have a sensor light brighter than the sun, a heavily locked door on the shed and the bike are locked in the shed. Anybody that gets them will have hours of work to get them.

It occurred to me I have the tools in my shed that could get through locks - angle grinder etc so added a switch in the kitchen that turns off the power to my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gavlor wrote: »

I'd say shotgun, dog and anchorage to concrete and in a tough enough spot a bolt cutter be extremely difficult.

I would also suggest getting a game camera or WiFi one with SD backup and fit in the shed.

Alarm on shed door too as you can get stand alone battery ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

My neighbours years ago had two top of the range mountain bikes. They put secure locks on the doors so the scum could not get in. They also had a good guard dog.

However, during the night, the scum lifted the roof off the shed and pulled the bikes out and didn't even bother the dog.

I have two big motorbike chains with kyrptonite locks on my bike screwed to the wall and going through a ladder, gasbottle etc.

I also have a hammer ready to go in the kitchen and if I catch anyone on my property, they will be leaving my gaff in an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

I saw some dubious characters exchanging a blue/purple racer today on South circular road around lunchtime. I reported it to both Sundrive road and Kilmainham Garda stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was looking in this thread to see if this was posted, but it was already elsewhere. Not stolen but people might check this bigger thread
    ED E wrote: »

https://twitter.com/declanlong/status/1326495961451999234

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mazza

Electric bike stolen from Sutton overnight, Mon night into Tue 01/12/20

*** It's possible the bike may be dumped somewhere as I was repairing it when it was stolen, so isn't cycleable. ***

It'd be great if people on Dublin Northside could keep an eye out please!

Grey and white Haibike Sduro Trekking 3.0. Photo below.

Any info or sightings please let me know. I've reported it to Gardai in Howth too.

Thanks for your time and any help!

Mazza

534772.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭souter

Apologies, I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere in this thread. But my search fu has deserted me.
    Heard rumours that my bike stolen at the beginning this year has been apprehended by the gardai. I used to look for it on facebook I think but can't for the life of me remember where.

So where are the gardai posting their stolen property pics these days?

Is it facebook/instasnapagram or what - I'm not terribly au fait with this all this stuff.
    NB believe the bike was recovered in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think pearse street Garda station twitter.

Edit: it's Garda info twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I think pearse street Garda station twitter.

Edit: it's Garda info twitter.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1338462666013216768?s=09

Here ya go

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1338462666013216768

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭souter

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Thanks, unfortunately that's not my bike. I scanned through that @garda info on twitter and there are couple of bikes in the last month - presumably posted as they are found.
    I had hope there was a single location with all the cumulative bikes. There are some mentions of flickr albums but can't find them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

souter wrote: »
    I had hope there was a single location with all the cumulative bikes. There are some mentions of flickr albums but can't find them either.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/albums

Not current.

Most bikes it appears won't end up with the Gardai, they get exported.

image.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-seize-250-000-worth-of-stolen-bicycles-in-south-dublin-1.4125407

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

Found this bike leaning up against a lamppost outside my house, unlocked. I'm guessing it was swiped and abandoned. I've locked it up myself for now but the owner will presumably have the key to the Kryptonite lock attached to the frame. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

Found this bike leaning up against a lamppost outside my house, unlocked. I'm guessing it was swiped and abandoned. I've locked it up myself for now but the owner will presumably have the key to the Kryptonite lock attached to the frame. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

oheilis wrote: »
    There's no way that was just left there by the owner. That was a €1k bike new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Have you reported it to the gardai?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you can get the BB number off the bike, maybe drop the Trek store an email in case they keep a record (my LBS do, so its not unheard of) but also give your local cop shop a call, a small chance it might have been reported.

• Advertisement

Trek Soho I think it is. Looks to be in good shape too, someone will definitely be missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've locked it up myself for now
    Dunno where this is but I would be taking it inside unless it was some unusually safe area. Bike might be lost and you would be down a cut lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

PM sent - my friend had one of these stolen some time ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a chap i know had a bike stolen, hopefully easy enough to spot

https://twitter.com/daireof/status/1373929825719705602

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Irish Times appearing to be prepping a story on the subject.

https://twitter.com/conormlally/status/1374643891941572614

Gardai in Louth looking to return some 60 recovered bikes to owners.

https://droghedalife.com/news/garda-seek-owners-of-60-stolen-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Hi folks,

Just prevented a bike theft on Conyngham Road, Dublin. Looked like they may have brought the bike from nearby. I have it safe now. Its a specialized, DM with details if its yours to arrange collection, will report to the guards now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

JiffyJ wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just prevented a bike theft on Conyngham Road, Dublin. Looked like they may have brought the bike from nearby. I have it safe now. Its a specialized, DM with details if its yours to arrange collection, will report to the guards now.

Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

https://mobile.twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1402710649734565900

Kilmainham Gardaí arrested a man following a search operation which led to the discovery of a number of stolen bikes at a residence in the Dublin 8 area

A number of bikes are now back with their owners

Some are still to be reunited

Kilmainham Station 01 6669700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Times - That’s a nice bike for sale — it’s like my stolen one
    When Valerie Flynn’s bike was taken she kept an eye on Done Deal and Facebook, then got it back with help from gardai.
    In April, the shed at our home in Dublin was broken into, and our two bikes were stolen. “Keep an eye on Done Deal,” advised the community garda

Advertisement