Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolting a safe to something solid? Like another safe?

Options
  • 07-11-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

The nature of wardrobe space is not entirely configured to suit gun safes.
    I could do with a bigger safe when scopes are considered but I have what I have.

Two standard safes. One bolted to the wall. One free standing. I only have enough solids wall in the wardorobe to secure one safe so I was thinking of just bolting the two together.

I don't see it being a problem.

Any thoughts

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can you place the second safe elsewhere?

The SI simply says that the firearm must be in a safe which must be secured to a solid structure. You could argue the wording, but in secure storage issues you'll generally lose should the CPO visit and say its not enough.

As an aside in what configuration is your wardrobe that it only allows the fixing of one safe to a wall. Is the wall in such a shape that is is the width/depth of only one safe? Could you turn the existing safe to allow for the second? I assume not otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

I have my safes bolted to one another but each safe is also bolted to the floor and wall(s) so while i have them bolted together the CPO was more than happy with the additional bolting to the wall/floor.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Zxthinger wrote: »
    The nature of wardrobe space is not entirely configured to suit gun safes.
    I could do with a bigger safe when scopes are considered but I have what I have.

Two standard safes. One bolted to the wall. One free standing. I only have enough solids wall in the wardorobe to secure one safe so I was thinking of just bolting the two together.

I don't see it being a problem.

Any thoughts

Maybe you could you put one on top of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

So the wardrobe is 2 foot deep and only one short side has blocks. I could butt two in with their arse to the wall but the the safes doors open the wrong way for any possibility of easy use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If placing it elsewhere is not an option then you're only avenue is to bolt them together. I'd also try and place some angle iron or similar material between the safes to prevent them being prised apart.

Now whether that would satisfy a CPO is anyone's guess.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Two safes bolted together with one bolted to the wall and the second bolted to the floor-boards..

In fairness the wide placements of the 4no fixing on the side of the safe (the portion that give it depth) give a solid geometry to the configuration which in truth is prob better that a narrow safe facet being bolted to the wall with only two centrally positioned bolts

Anyway it all passed muster..:D

Note that floor board bolts are simply large screw-bolts and that the wall bolts were 12x100mm rawl-plug bolts..

Its going nowhere with out wrecking the place.

Thanks for any advice.. PS I configure the join bolt holes to match the bolt holes on the wall thus if i was asked to change the configuration then it could have been done in an hour..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭TombstoneT

So the wardrobe is 2 foot deep and only one short side has blocks. I could butt two in with their arse to the wall but the the safes doors open the wrong way for any possibility of easy use.

I am trying to picture the situation.Just wondering if the doors would open for easy access if the safes were fitted upside down? Just a thought.

TombstoneT wrote: »
    I am trying to picture the situation.Just wondering if the doors would open for easy access if the safes were fitted upside down? Just a thought.

Yep, yer dead right. However the little shelf would be at the wrong end of the safe and the firearms would have nothing to rest their barrels against..

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭TombstoneT

Yep, yer dead right. However the little shelf would be at the wrong end of the safe and the firearms would have nothing to rest their barrels against..

The shelf should not be an issue whether at the top or bottom. I see what you mean about the barrel rest's. I would imagine you could remove the foam rest and re-fit it in the appropriate spot. If not, why not go DIY. A new piece of foam with cutouts or even a piece of 2x1 wooden lat with similar cutouts and either glued or screwed on. That is what I would do anyway. Hope this helps.

Regards T.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Out of the box thinking here,
    Could you not turn the wardrobe itself into a giant safe?
    I'm picturing this as being something like the average under the stairs cubby hole/ junk storage/toilet/etc type space in an average 2up 2 down house? Or is this an actual free standing wardrobe?
    It might be easier to just get a custom steel door and frame made up than messing about with two separate safes?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It's all done now and was approved.
    The door locks to the safe or the "gun room" must be a certain standard.

To be honest, before the inspection I had two separate safes in two different locations.. I though it was better but I moved them together to facilitate the alarm.. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's all done now and was approved.
    The door locks to the safe or the "gun room" must be a certain standard.

To be honest, before the inspection I had two separate safes in two different locations.. I though it was better but I moved them together to facilitate the alarm.. lol

Funny enough I wasn't allowed to do that. I was required to have two safes in different rooms.

It wasn't a problem to do that though.

Advertisement