Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Kamala Harris is gone in from around 800 to 290 on the exchanges, Biden is also down to 1.11 so looking like Trumps journey is slowing down.

On the exchanges, she went from 290 straight back out to 530 and now 2 hours later, she's down to 380.
    Somebody is backing her at big odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://news.paddypower.com/politics/2020/11/05/us-election-when-will-president-bets-markets-be-settled/

My cash out offer from them increased significantly lately, that explains why. Cash out now or we could keep your money for a month or two.

Cashing out now probably is the best thing to do because at a minimum there is going to be a recount in Wisconsin and Georgia and maybe Nevada too. Could be looking at about two weeks for that alone. I checked PP there and they're still offering me just over 10/1 on a 12/1 bet on Biden to win. Will wait to see what later tonight brings as if Pennsylvannia falls to Biden then the Trump side might just throw in the towel.

Ive money on Oscoff in the Georgia senate which I thought was a lost bet but now it turns out his opponent Perdue has dropped below 50% for the first time which means they will have a run off on January 5th so the bet lives on to fight another day. That battle will be epic as control of the whole Senate could be on the line, both parties are expected to each spend $100m+ on it in one state alone which is insane.

Also have Georgia at 7/1 as the tightest margin race and it has now overtaken Nevada, just 0.3% separates the two candidates in Georiga. If Biden can take that and Penn then he can go over the 300 EC votes where Ive another bet at 8/1 for 300-330 EC votes. I dont think he will take Georgia though, he is catching Trump but a good slice of the remaining votes to be counted are from military serving overseas and they tend to break for the Republicans. Its going to be very close either way, even if Biden does take it then it will be by just a couple of thousand votes so there will definitely be a recount and court cases in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've €200 profit to take from them and they're offering me €140. No thanks, I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

https://news.paddypower.com/politics/2020/11/05/us-election-when-will-president-bets-markets-be-settled/

My cash out offer from them increased significantly lately, that explains why. Cash out now or we could keep your money for a month or two.

Got a 404 on that link so I guess they have changed their mind on whatever that said

On the exchanges, she went from 290 straight back out to 530 and now 2 hours later, she's down to 380.
    Somebody is backing her at big odds.

Makes very little sense. Biden would need to literally die in the next few hours (or days) for someone to win that bet. I say that as someone who threw a bet on her @ 700/1 because I mistakenly thought the market was not going to be called until December or January.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Cashing out now probably is the best thing to do because at a minimum there is going to be a recount in Wisconsin and Georgia and maybe Nevada too. Could be looking at about two weeks for that alone. I checked PP there and they're still offering me just over 10/1 on a 12/1 bet on Biden to win.

When was Biden 12/1 to win? Right after the New Hampshire primary? Fair play if you took a punt on him then. I thought it was only a matter of time before he called it a day at that time.

Makes very little sense. Biden would need to literally die in the next few hours (or days) for someone to win that bet. I say that as someone who threw a bet on her @ 700/1 because I mistakenly thought the market was not going to be called until December or January.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    Only reason might be someone trying to hedge a Biden position and worried he may die before January after being elected.
    Having said that, I stuck up an offer at 1,000 on a non Betfair exchange on her being next President just for the laugh and got matched for just over €1 :D so far so I'll be cheering her on between now and January :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    So I placed a relatively substantial bet (per attached screenshot) on Biden to win (& to do so with 52-54.99% of the vote, the Harris bet was a hedge in unlikely event that Biden dies/became incapacitated before the election) at the start of September after it was clear that the convention and rioting was not to Trump's benefit politically and the bookies odds seemed far too bearish on Biden and Bullish on Trump.

I think the most likely outcome will be like 2008 in terms of popular vote (Trump on 45 or 46, Biden on 53 or 54) with Biden comprehensively winning the electoral college.

Why?

1) Trump only very narrowly won in 2016 with 46% of the vote, losing the popular vote by 3 million and only getting to the magic number of 270+ by winning 70k votes in three swing states. He needed to expand beyond his base but has not done so, and has consistently hovered at around 40-45% support and approval - not enough to win in the absence of a strong third party candidate (there is none) and a Democratic opponent as unpopular as him (Biden is not as unpopular as Hillary was)
    2) Biden polling much stronger nationally and in swing states than Hillary was at the same time in 2016.

I only rarely place bets, the last one on politics being €60@16/1 on Peter Casey to finish 2nd in the 2018 Irish presidential election which turned out nicely. :D

Could of course still lose this bet but I'm growing more confident by the day, the concern now being Biden getting over 55% :eek:

So the main bet on Biden looking good right now (win of 1k on 5/6 odds).

The 52-54.99% bet looking a bit more uncertain, with some predictions Biden might get around 52% but it will be touch and go.

The Kamala bet was always a long shot and just a hedge to get my stake back in case Joe kicked the bucket.

I was logged on to the Paddy Power website on election night/early morning and odds were fluctuating wildly when it appeared Trump might actually pull off another upset. When it reached Evens, I decided I wanted in on another Biden bet and by the time I had transferred the money to place the bet it was 6/5 which I took, only to see it reaching as far as 17/10 about 15 minutes later. :eek:

Bets to be settled at 10:00 Sunday per the online betting slip so I presume they've stepped back from their article yesterday that was posted on this thread (which can no longer be found without using Google cache) stating they would settle bets when all legal actions have been resolved or the winner is formally certified by the electoral college in December.

After a lot of ducking and diving over last few weeks, this is my current P&L.

BIDEN €107
    TRUMP €302
    HARRIS €5874
    ANO €33

All positive but not really worth the hassle and time spent on it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

CNN and Fox have just called Pennsylvania for Biden.

Feck, I could've won just over €30 if Nevada counted faster. :o

• Advertisement

Biden still available at 1.05 on BetFair. Free Money

I think the definition of Tipping Point might not be about the order in which they were called but in the one that puts him over 270 when you line them up by the % for Biden in each state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Bet365 have paid out on Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Dante7 wrote: »
    Bet365 have paid out on Biden.

I'm still waiting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Paid for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I'm still waiting on Ladbrokes and Betonline for Biden. I could be waiting a while on my Georgia bet.

Paddy Power and Betfair haven't closed out the market either. They're owned by the same parent company so will likely go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Bet365 have finally paid out.

Easy money

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Paddy Power have paid out.

Paddy Power and Betfair haven't closed out the market either. They're owned by the same parent company so will likely go together.

Nope. PP have paid out but Bf have not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,704 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Nope. PP have paid out but Bf have not.

Betfair paid out on my open bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

Befair exchange is still open. Can still get 1.04 on biden which is free money at this stage.

Can't understand why would any bookmaker pay out in the "next president" market now?
    Biden has won the election but he's not going to be the next USA president until inauguration on Jan 20th 2021 and a lot could happen between then and now.
    This will obviously be a big price but what happens if xyz bookmaker pays out on Biden, Biden dies before the 20th Jan and Harris (VP) then becomes president.
    Harris was anywhere between 200 and 1000/1.
    So xyz bookmaker having paid out on Biden, now has to pay out on Harris as well, which you would assume is big loser for all bookmakers and that could be a lot of extra money to be paid out.
    3 of the 4 betting exchanges I know of are still taking bets, the other 1 has settled Biden as a winner but I would expect that has to change.
    Would be even worse for an exchange as having paid out on Biden and resulted all the others bets on the rest of them, 2 months later, how could they pay the people who backed Harris at say 500/1 as the layers bets have been cancelled in November and so they don't have the funds anymore.

Can't understand why would any bookmaker pay out in the "next president" market now?
    Biden has won the election but he's not going to be the next USA president until inauguration on Jan 20th 2021 and a lot could happen between then and now.
    This will obviously be a big price but what happens if xyz bookmaker pays out on Biden, Biden dies before the 20th Jan and Harris (VP) then becomes president.
    Harris was anywhere between 200 and 1000/1.
    So xyz bookmaker having paid out on Biden, now has to pay out on Harris as well, which you would assume is big loser for all bookmakers and that could be a lot of extra money to be paid out.
    3 of the 4 betting exchanges I know of are still taking bets, the other 1 has settled Biden as a winner but I would expect that has to change.
    Would be even worse for an exchange as having paid out on Biden and resulted all the others bets on the rest of them, 2 months later, how could they pay the people who backed Harris at say 500/1 as the layers bets have been cancelled in November and so they don't have the funds anymore.

From reading the rules of that market (which I only spotted after I had backed Harris to insure against Biden dying before inauguration day) it will be closed when they deem the election to be beyond doubt. If that happens and subsequently Biden dies then tough luck - the Harris bets are still losers.

I make it that this is the current state of play for the tipping point state. Wisconsin is just about there at the moment.

G1r5e62.png

There's still a bit of movement to come with the votes to come but it's probably a long shot that wither NV or NC will be it now.

From reading the rules of that market (which I only spotted after I had backed Harris to insure against Biden dying before inauguration day) it will be closed when they deem the election to be beyond doubt. If that happens and subsequently Biden dies then tough luck - the Harris bets are still losers.

OOC who was that with?

OOC who was that with?

BetFair Exchange

BetFair Exchange

Grand.
    When I clicked on the rules I got this.
    Who will be elected to be the next President of the United States of America as a result of the 2020 presidential election?

This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. In the event that no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the projected Electoral College votes, this market will be settled on the person chosen as President in accordance with the procedures set out by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A load of people including myself, had like you, backed Harris as a form of insurance but if this is the case, then Harris could never win this bet or am I reading this wrong?
    Also Harris must now then also be a lay at any price?

Grand.
    When I clicked on the rules I got this.

A load of people including myself, had like you, backed Harris as a form of insurance but if this is the case, then Harris could never win this bet or am I reading this wrong?
    Also Harris must now then also be a lay at any price?

I did think it was a bit odd that I was able to get 700/1 on her 10 days or so ago when it had been 350/1 the week before.

The way I understand it now is that if Biden died or became incapacitated between when you placed your bet and the time that they close the market then you would win on her so long as they also won the election. That's probably still the case and why her odds have dropped to 400/1 now since one half of that requirement has occurred.

• Advertisement

I did think it was a bit odd that I was able to get 700/1 on her 10 days or so ago when it had been 350/1 the week before.

The way I understand it now is that if Biden died or became incapacitated between when you placed your bet and the time that they close the market then you would win on her so long as they also won the election. That's probably still the case and why her odds have dropped to 400/1 now since one half of that requirement has occurred.

Was looking at that myself, down to 370 now, I'll keep my €10 at 1000/1 going for the laugh.

Advertisement