Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah the natural trails at ballinastoe are a great introduction for beginners compared to the ones at ticknock and djouce in particular. Not too steep, lots of stone rather than wet roots which I'm finding treacherous in the wet! Any tips steamsey on the wet roots?

Yeah, thats where I started dipping my toe into natural trails, but there's plenty of sniper roots lurking as I've found out over the years. There's plenty of variety in Djouce though, both in steepness and surface so don't give up on it. I'd actually go as far as to say the trails in Djouce drain better than Ballinastoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

mad turnip wrote: »
    Good choice of trail Wailin, its one of my favorites that one. nearly always hit it when I'm up at Ballinastoe. Is that a Maxxis Reckon on the back tire of your bike? Used one for most of last year, can be a bit treacherous on the roots, its great on the rocks though. Swapped to a hans dampf and so far so good. The reckon hasn't really got big enough knobs to grab the roots and likes to just slide around and I found it would just fly out from under me more than it really should.
    I'd say the biggest thing to avoid with the roots is braking on them, do it before and do it after, keep in mind the roots will slow the bike down also. There's usually a correct speed and angle for most roots depending on there size and how they are positioned.

Bike is looking well with the red pedals.

Great tips thanks. You're right, rear tyre is maxxis rekon, front is maxxis minion. I think I'm just still a bit heavy on the brakes and it's technique more than the tyres but I'll stick with them.

Ah I probably should have went with the black version of those pedals but they are some job for grip compared to what I was used to on the hardtail.

prunudo wrote: »
    Yeah, thats where I started dipping my toe into natural trails, but there's plenty of sniper roots lurking as I've found out over the years. There's plenty of variety in Djouce though, both in steepness and surface so don't give up on it. I'd actually go as far as to say the trails in Djouce drain better than Ballinastoe.

I think djouce frightened the bejaysus out of me when i pottered down Irn Bru not knowing what was in store for me on a hardtail with a saddle that wouldn't drop. You live and learn! Will be giving that another go on the new bike next chance I get.

Edit: I see the term "sniper" roots a lot. I'm guessing they're the broken roots that protrude up from the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think djouce frightened the bejaysus out of me when i pottered down Irn Bru not knowing what was in store for me on a hardtail with a saddle that wouldn't drop. You live and learn! Will be giving that another go on the new bike next chance I get.

Edit: I see the term "sniper" roots a lot. I'm guessing they're the broken roots that protrude up from the ground?

Yeah, irn bru would do that to do alright!
    Not sure the true meaning but i use it to refer to when you going down a trail, thinking everything is cool, then bam, front washes out on a root you thought you had easily cleared. Like a sniper taking you out with no warning. That was my understanding of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I see the term "sniper" roots a lot. I'm guessing they're the broken roots that protrude up from the ground?

They're the ones you don't see and end up taking you out.

Also are you not in lock down or going into a lockdown county, one or the other :D :eek:

• Advertisement

Sorry, when I said next chance i get, I meant once lockdowns over....

But seriously, I do get the whole seriousness of the situation, but a single chap on his own in isolation in the middle of nowhere is zero threat to anyone.

Edit: Once the countrywide level 3 begins, that will put a stop to it all anyway with checkpoints popping up everywhere!

Sorry, when I said next chance i get, I meant once lockdowns over....

You were in Dublin one week and Wicklow the next so to late to be worrying about lockdown. :D
    But seriously, I do get the whole seriousness of the situation, but a single chap on his own in isolation in the middle of nowhere is zero threat to anyone.

Edit: Once the countrywide level 3 begins, that will put a stop to it all anyway with checkpoints popping up everywhere!
    You see that's what a lot of people think yet it's still spreading, Wicklow hills do be crawling with Dubs hiking at the weekends. I get what you're saying though but those trail centres are rammed at times and plenty of huffing and puffing up a mountain.

It's a **** situation for all and only going to get ****ter before long and to be honest I wouldn't mind having some kind of Christmas.

Just to say I'm not picking on you in particular more of a general trend I'm seeing, in that you see one person ignoring thelockdown and when you call them out on it it's usally met with but I'm just out on my own.

I hear ya and while I might have a different opinion to yourself on the whole thing, i do understand your frustration. I choose to go to ballinastoe on a miserable day midweek because I knew the place would be empty, (didn't see a single soul) unlike ticknock which is nearly always busy.

Anyway, let's not let this thread descend into a covid one. It's going to be very quiet in here for a long time I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I really need to get out onto some of the non-official trails again. Do people normally go out with someone else on s a spin as a guide or is it feasible to follow them on an app as you're out on a ride?

I use the trailforks app which shows a lot (not all) of the unofficial trails. But I also watch YouTube videos of trails near me before I attempt them so I know what I'm getting myself into! I find this guys videos very good.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TrailAdvisor

It's better if you can go with someone who knows the trails but, if like me, you're new and on your own, I find the above very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wailin wrote:
    I use the trailforks app which shows a lot (not all) of the unofficial trails. But I also watch YouTube videos of trails near me before I attempt them so I know what I'm getting myself into! I find this guys videos very good:

Some on strava also, even with all our efforts to keep ours offline, they still made it online, inevitable I guess

Trail forks app and strava with the heat map turned on but it's best if you give a local club a shout as most will be happy to show you around.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shotser

The Single Tracker on youtube is very good. Does trails all over Ireland. Has the GPS on the screen so you can pop that into your favourite map to find the exact location of the trail.

Yeah, was going to link him as well, his videos are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Managed a spin in ballyhoura yesterday. Some lovely work going on. The return loop home will be great crack, some nice flowing sections worked in with berms and some chances to catch some air. Was a detour in place half way on the boardwalk so looking forward to getting back when I can to see the rest. Some won't like it because its taken the suffering out of it but theres plenty more trail for that lark

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

Peter T wrote: »
    Managed a spin in ballyhoura yesterday. Some lovely work going on. The return loop home will be great crack, some nice flowing sections worked in with berms and some chances to catch some air. Was a detour in place half way on the boardwalk so looking forward to getting back when I can to see the rest. Some won't like it because its taken the suffering out of it but theres plenty more trail for that lark

Is there much new stuff or is it mostly repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Mostly repairs with a few bits added in sections to flow better

Great spin this morning. Headed for Ticknock and Tibradden. Found some really lovely trails just off the Tibradden trail through some loamy forest parallel with the WW.

50490134227_01a7a6ab26_c.jpg

Back up to Fairy castle and then over to east side nice natural trails, highline, homegrown (love this one), dickies etc. Steep chute on dickies still ****tin me, no problem with homegrown!

50489985941_9e42cec41a_c.jpg

50490134242_cafaa38252_c.jpg

50489295898_7a5067a985_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

Another snap from the top of Coolaney last Saturday

529515.jpg

Got in what's probably the last outing for the next 6 weeks (although might go again tomorrow!). Ticknock to Tibradden. Did a lovely trail called legends highline at Tibradden, very long natural trail with some rooty sections but very nice.

Legends Highline
    50505788253_e1a6d9067c_c.jpg

Back to Ticknock and natural stuff, satellite run, bungle jungle, red tractor. Very wet and windy but thoroughly enjoyable day.

Red Tractor
    50506663482_6449cf040e_c.jpg
    50506663467_c71bd14dc9_c.jpg

Just to confuse everyone, map is turned sideways!
    50506498251_d7a90f8533_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Got in what's probably the last outing for the next 6 weeks (although might go again tomorrow!). Ticknock to Tibradden. Did a lovely trail called legends highline at Tibradden, very long natural trail with some rooty sections but very nice.

Legends Highline

Back to Ticknock and natural stuff, satellite run, bungle jungle, red tractor. Very wet and windy but thoroughly enjoyable day.

Red Tractor

I can smell the pine needles and wet leaves. Beautiful.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I can smell the pine needles and wet leaves. Beautiful.

What it's all about really, no one around, just you and nature...love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Legends Highline

Red Tractor

Legends is my favourite trail in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Was up Kindlestown and Glen of the Downs in Wicklow yesterday. Pretty busy at both with walkers and a few bikers around too. Kindlestown is really just one decent trail but it's a pretty good one and glad to have it within the 5KM. Was up there a lot at the first lockdown and was great to have somewhere to climb up a hill, then rip down. I'd say less than 15 mins up to top and back down.

Glen of the Downs has some steep trails with switchbacks over exposed roots - so some good technical bits. Thanks to the bikers who showed me that trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

steamsey wrote: »
    Was up Kindlestown and Glen of the Downs in Wicklow yesterday. Pretty busy at both with walkers and a few bikers around too. Kindlestown is really just one decent trail but it's a pretty good one and glad to have it within the 5KM. Was up there a lot at the first lockdown and was great to have somewhere to climb up a hill, then rip down. I'd say less than 15 mins up to top and back down.

Glen of the Downs has some steep trails with switchbacks over exposed roots - so some good technical bits. Thanks to the bikers who showed me that trail.

Have you tried Belmont? Might be a bit tame for you but something different during lockdown. Could even link up GOTD Kindlestown Belmont and Bray Head if you’re feeling good!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have you tried Belmont? Might be a bit tame for you but something different during lockdown. Could even link up GOTD Kindlestown Belmont and Bray Head if you’re feeling good!

Back way u Bray head and down through the forest is still quiet but Belmont was mobbed the other day. I have never seen so many people there. Its rideable but the area around fatbikes and the coffee shop are like a musical festival. had straight over to the path up to Kilruddery if you are going there

Yup - have been there a few times. Grand for a spin but IMO their target audience is families, not much there for non-beginners in terms of trails but a nice spot al the same with cafe, pump track (currently closed) etc

CramCycle wrote: »
    Back way u Bray head and down through the forest is still quiet but Belmont was mobbed the other day. I have never seen so many people there. Its rideable but the area around fatbikes and the coffee shop are like a musical festival. had straight over to the path up to Kilruddery if you are going there

Any decent trails on that forest you mention near Bray head?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yup - have been there a few times. Grand for a spin but IMO their target audience is families, not much there for non-beginners in terms of trails but a nice spot al the same with cafe, pump track (currently closed) etc
    My young one was gutted the pump track was closed but I can see why with the crowds
    Any decent trails on that forest you mention near Bray head?

Yes and no, there are trails but they are not overly long or technical. The trails between walking paths are nice but not very technical, very short. Sorry that not much help, if you come up the back if Bray head (from the South), you can do a bit of exploring for shortcuts, the heatmaps on Strava give a rough incication of where the near invisible routes are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Legends Highline

Red Tractor

Hi - wondering how you get familiar with where the trails are, and what they are called? Is it pure word of mouth, meeting others etc?

I've been up in Ticknock many times with my son. We've found a fair few trails, but haven't done anything over to Tibradden. The legends highline looks good, I'll try to use the map, and other maps on internet to find this and other trails.

Advertisement