Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My spin today...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Its changed a bit in the past year, Especially along the top, not much shelter left up there these days

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

Anyone hear any updates on the new 12km trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

xxyyzz wrote: »
    A hardtail is probably the ideal bike for 99% of the trail center stuff in Ballyhoura to be honest.

To be honest, a full rigid is ideal for 99% of the trail center stuff in Ballyhoura and many other places elsewhere too.

covey123 wrote: »
    Anyone hear any updates on the new 12km trail?

Nothing outside of what I read on here although I haven't been up there much over the summer to catch word of it. If I think of it next time I'll ask

Hopefully getting there tomorrow, not been out in an age!will post back if I hear anything

• Advertisement

Hopefully getting there tomorrow, not been out in an age!will post back if I hear anything

Well nothing happening yet anyway, will be October the earliest before anything is started so going to be a while before we see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Bike Park Wales, boyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Bike Park Wales, boyo!

The weather looks very Welsh, How did ya get on? worth the trip over?

Any pans to go watch Redbull Hardlne?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The weather looks very Welsh, How did ya get on?worth the trip over?

Any pans to go watch Redbull Hardlne?

I booked the Wednesday and Thursday ages in advance, hoping that it would be dry. Turned out that those two days were the only wet ones for ages, and the rest of the week is sunny. It was drizzly each morning, drying out by early afternoon.

I was really nervous: on my own, doing the trails blind. I tucked in behind others at first and followed them down. Started on the blues (one is 4.6KM :eek: :pac:), then did the reds from the second half of the first day on. Awesome. Reds have little road gaps, 2 - 3 foot drops, mad stuff. Loved it. I had hoped to do a few blacks the second day but bottled it. I was watching YouTube's Dave Jenvey (look him up, he's not very good and keeps crashing: a cult figure that we can all relate to :pac:) doing the blacks on the first night, and I'm there thinking that if he can do it, I can deffo, but I bottled it. Going back next year and I'll do them then. They're not too bad.

Stayed 30 minutes away in a lovely house, AirBnB, for like 20 euro a night. Full use of kitchen, garage to store bike etc.. Really quiet. Great sleeps.

307 euro Dublin <-> Hollyhead, Tues -> Thurs. 3/4 tank of petrol. Awesome chicken balti & garlic-chili naan each night, £7.20. Aldi and Lidl. Cost f-all. Day pass to BPW was like 40 euro.

Is it good? Is it what!!! Going to make it over twice a year from now on: start and end of summer.

Passed by the Redbull Hardline venue. Maaaaad steep valleys/mountains. Actually did a couple of the reds with a guy from near Portsmouth that was doing the camera-work at it. He was up to BPW and then heading to Hardline for the Saturday or something. He's a pro- MTB/Motocross camera guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My spin "today" is more like a ride log of the last week.

Took part in round #5 of the PMBA/Hope enduro in Kirroughtree, Scotland over last Saturday (practice) & Sunday (race). Good course, weather held out for the most part with a bit of evening/overnight rain on the Friday so was a 50/50 regards slop-fest on any given stage. Five stages combining a mixture of official & off-piste trails (mostly red or black grade - or both - in severity) over 26km with 550m of climbing. The last stage caused a lot of people considerable difficulty such to the effect that the organisers offered a 'lite' version of the course (i.e. no podium or prizes just a separate category) for those opting to technically DNF by not completing a stage. Made it a bit more difficult to see how well I did in my category given that there were 80 entrants (Vets; no longer masters for me ...) and only 51 completed the race but no DNFs listed, so either a lot didn't turn up which I don't think was the case, or some 29 riders opted to forgo stage five. In any case, I got smoked; the category winner put a good 7 minutes into my time. Still all in all and awesome time was had, and a great day out on the bike and had a good laugh with other racers & marshals alike.

Will get pictures from the missus when she gets them off her camera; she got a lot. More here too from the official race affiliated photographers

Then spent a couple of days recovering in Glasgow before heading on up to Fort William. The drive alone is worth it as it is stunningly beautiful. We got the best of the weather on Thursday with the tail end of a tropical rainstorm hitting Scotland. There was a fair smattering of rain over the morning and whilst the wind speed was high, it wasn't high enough to stop the gondola. Speaking of ... you don't realise just how long this track is or how high up you are until you are looking back down from within the cable car gondola. It is a long, long, long way down. As a matter of note, Strava gave the total run time at 3.22km although it should be said that we didn't do the exact UCI line given the road gap is not permitted outside of sanctioned races, and the bridge at the start of the motorway was taped off - I'm guessing to stop people smearing themselves over the track. You also don't quite appreciate just how steep this course is either until you are on the gondola looking at it, or riding it. It is steep. Did I mention it was steep yet? We also had a go of 'Top Chief' which is a black grade trail from the top of the gondola (just over a bit from the UCI start hut) and is the trail with the board-walks along the side of the mountain for those who have seen a thousand and one videos on it. Technical track, lots of fun although the board walks are disconcerting to ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Cheers for the right up man that sounds like a class trip altogether. I may well give it a try when I'm back on the bike, took a spill on the bike last week and a double fracture to the collar bone is no bueno :rolleyes:
    YouTube's Dave Jenvey

Just sub'd to this fella and have to say the man's a liability but seems like an ordinary decent criminal. He's mad for the jumping and in fairness he's quite good at some of the table tops but his list of injuries :eek: I'd have quit years ago.

First time at Mount Hilary today,trail is broken up into 3 sections,top two are open with bottom one in wooded area.
    Conditions were perfect,dry but not dusty with lots of sneaky line choices on top 2 trails, everything rollable at top,although bottom wooded section was a lot steeper and above my skills level, especially towards the end!
    Great trail and fair play to those who put it in place.I'll need to get back and session top sections first though before trying the bottom again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I was doing some exploring today around the Glen of Aherlow. Cut it short as there was a Mountain Running Association event on and I didn't want to interfere with the competition.

I was talking to the marshals and they didn't mind me up there. I said I was getting out as I didn't want to interrupt the runners.

That being said, I went for a short spin last night, trying out a hot mount light (getting ready for winter). I need to tighten the mounting strap.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've been rocking around since the start of the year on a 2019 Vitus Nucleus VR. Absolutely fab little bike, 120mm up front, up to date long and slack geometry. A confidence inspiring blast. Sale thread to follow!

2V8AR4Hl.jpg

But came across a deal last week and upgraded to a very lightly used 2016 Kona Precept 150 which I had out around Djouce today for a few hours. Holy crap what a difference. A lot fo faffing around with the shock pump to try and dial in a setting but a spin of enlightenment followed. So different to the hard tail that it was as if it wasn't even the same sport. Unbelievable craic.

biUsEOAl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....I was watching YouTube's Dave Jenvey (look him up, he's not very good and keeps crashing: a cult figure that we can all relate to :pac:) ....

Ooh that looks interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

First time at Mount Hilary today,trail is broken up into 3 sections,top two are open with bottom one in wooded area.
    Conditions were perfect,dry but not dusty with lots of sneaky line choices on top 2 trails, everything rollable at top,although bottom wooded section was a lot steeper and above my skills level, especially towards the end!
    Great trail and fair play to those who put it in place.I'll need to get back and session top sections first though before trying the bottom again!

Local trail for myself. Top two sections are good crack and easy to loop back uphill for a few runs. The bottom section gets interesting alright :D . Id be wary of the bottom section, I've seen plenty of walkers, hikers and runners heading up it. Wouldn't be expecting to meet a bike coming down against them. Must get up there for a few laps myself before the weather turns it to soup

Not too far from it myself, really need to get back more often to session the top sections.Oh and yeah, plenty of walkers were out that day,and a guy running up against me on the bottom trail..... that was my excuse to stop and get off and walk anyway 😋

Made it out for a quick spin last night near home. Mainly to test out the light I bought in aldi last week. Bought it to see if night time riding would be something id be into. Seem to do the trick for a short 1 hr spin out around the gravel roads and some single track too. The light steps up in intensity with each click and spent most of my ride at 2 and then at its brightest for the final blast down to the car. If its something I keep up i'll be investing in some proper light and keeping this as a back up.
    492563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Peter T wrote: »
    Made it out for a quick spin last night near home. Mainly to test out the light I bought in aldi last week. Bought it to see if night time riding would be something id be into. Seem to do the trick for a short 1 hr spin out around the gravel roads and some single track too. The light steps up in intensity with each click and spent most of my ride at 2 and then at its brightest for the final blast down to the car. If its something I keep up i'll be investing in some proper light and keeping this as a back up.
    492563.jpg

Wouldn't have thought any Aldi lights would be up to night riding standard? Have a link?

These are the cheap amazon job that everyone I know uses, can't get over how good they are for the price

https://www.amazon.com/BESTSUN-Cycling-Bicycle-Headlight-Headlamp/dp/B00F372QSE/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Cree+2000+lumen+bike+light&qid=1570524691&sr=8-4

https://www.aldi.ie/front-%26-rear-bike-light-set/p/017096282743300

That's the set I bought. Did the job for gravel riding and bits of trails I was on last night, could be a different story on rougher trails. I've come across the lights you linked in another thread. If I keep going for spins at night ill be considering them and maybe another light of some sort attached to my helmet

• Advertisement

maybe another light of some sort attached to my helmet

Helmet light definitely the way to go,if I had to choose having just one light thats what I'd go for as you always have light where you are looking,as opposed to which way the bars are pointing

Got out yesterday for a spin. More gravel and tarmac mix then anything else. I started in gneeves windfarm outside millstreet. From there I cut across the turbine and forestry roads, over the cork/kerry border, past shrone lake at the base off the paps and looping back home. Been meaning to do it with a while so naturally chose a very windy day with hail and rain :confused:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2852197923

A few pics to add including my fancy sat nav
    494985.jpg

494986.jpg

494989.jpg

Got out last night for a spin on my new bike. Picked up a second hand Reign advanced last week so very happy. Quick spin on Mt Hillary and I'm delighted. Climbs well and felt great on the downs. Also Picked up a LED Lenser m10 head torch which is a serious bit of kit. 10hr minimum battery life and adjustable beam. Bonus is it can be used for hiking, camping and working on cars or in dark corners so was perfect for myself rather then buying a mtb only light.

Got out last night for a spin on my new bike. Picked up a second hand Reign advanced last week so very happy. Quick spin on Mt Hillary.

What are the trails like there when wet?

Awful. Just a stream of water really. The top section wasnt so bad but the middle was terrible and didnt do the last. Its getting to the stage where I'm not sure the trails could be saved really. Would nearly be better to leave them take the water and build new lines

Awful. Just a stream of water really. The top section wasnt so bad but the middle was terrible and didnt do the last. Its getting to the stage where I'm not sure the trails could be saved really. Would nearly be better to leave them take the water and build new lines

Ah there's always ways to divert water 😜

Im not sure its worth it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Went for a spin today up in the Boggeraghs and over towards Bween and God it was cold. I wasn't on the bike for a while and I nearly died.

My excuse is the ground conditions were not conducive to a fast rolling experience. I had to work at pedalling downhill!

Any details on the route ? I head over to the nadd side from time to time and out towards mushra. 99% gravel roads though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Haven't been on the bike as much as usual this winter but went to Ticknock on Sunday for a quick spin. Car park area was jammers as usual.

Just stuck to official trails as wanted to give the unofficial ones (that are left) a break in the muddy conditions. Did Euroskeptic (Barnstormer etc), then up to the top to Euroservices (Blazin Saddles) and lastly, Metro / bottom loop. Trails riding very well and well drained (not much rain lately I suppose). Lots of beginner bikers around the place which was good to see. Fairly handy spin, was done in about 45 mins or so but well worth it. Need to visit Djouce next - it's been too long.

Advertisement