Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Go for the bigger inverter 5kw at least of you want to put more panels on the roof. I got the same setup plus zappi2 and hub for 7k after grant.

Managed to get the 5kw Inverter added to the original quote for free. Waiting on one more and im good to offer the project to someone. All prices are fairly similar with the Boards recommended suppliers.

One question i do have is, only one company mention the NC6 ESB form, does this be done as standard?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

jod1983 wrote: »
    Managed to get the 5kw Inverter added to the original quote for free. Waiting on one more and im good to offer the project to someone. All prices are fairly similar with the Boards recommended suppliers.

One question i do have is, only one company mention the NC6 ESB form, does this be done as standard?

Yeah it's just a notification form sent to the esb networks, I think it even can be emailed. Just some details on the inverter that is installed and the mrpn of the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Could you PM the "Boards recommended suppliers" please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Could you PM the "Boards recommended suppliers" please?

Didn't know we had an approved list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Any decent company should do this as normal practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Am I right in saying that the Solar PV grant from SEAI does not include anything towards the post installation BER?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yep doesn't include anything in grant for any ber

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Am I right in saying that the Solar PV grant from SEAI does not include anything towards the post installation BER?

You can read all about it here https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/solar-electricity-grant/Solar-PV-Scheme-Guide.pdf

875px-Fiddlin_Bill_Henseley_Mountain_Fiddler_Asheville_North_Carolina_by_Ben_Shahn_1937_LOC_290626613-744x653.jpg

"Solar's more cost effective Without the Grant!"

eiMdpbMdT.gif

"...wwwwwwwwwwiiiithoutttttt the graaaaant!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So just finished off my system today and after a lot of researching and pricing here's my final system/cost...

18 no Canadian Solar 410w PERC Poly panels
    1 BPE 5 KW Hybrid Dual MPPT inverter.
    1 no safety isolating fireman's switch to solar panels.
    All DC cabling and isolators.
    All AC cabling and isolators
    All protection devices required to inverter.
    1 Battery to inverter. Pylon tec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

I should point out I've poor aspect and heavy tree shading on my main string so hence oversized panels vs inverter

Gross cost of €8,620, less grant of €3,000, net cost of €5,620
    Excellent job, really knowledgeable chap, well open to questions and all the work was really neat.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Oh, I also got a Zappi/Hub/Harvi install at the same time for an excellent price

Er the attic is a hostile environment for electronics...

I see they weren't too bothered about cutting the ends off the cable ties either.
    Battery isolator looks like a liability...don't disconnect it under load...plasma-tastic.
    I fit disconnect rated isolators.

One day installers...:rolleyes:

Only place for me, 70's semi with consumer unit in the hallway!

The humidity will take it's toll, shorter lifespan.
    If it's got fans the digested dust will cause heat derating after a few months. Not the best practice.

Er the attic is a hostile environment for electronics...

I see they weren't too bothered about cutting the ends off the cable ties either.
    Battery isolator looks like a liability...don't disconnect it under load...plasma-tastic.
    I fit disconnect rated isolators.

One day installers...:rolleyes:
    The humidity will take it's toll, shorter lifespan.
    If it's got fans the digested dust will cause heat derating after a few months. Not the best practice.

I made the post in the spirit of showing others what things look like and also sharing costs so folk will know the ballpark figure..

It is an early photo so all the cable ties etc are now neat and tidy.
    That battery disconnect is very sturdy, exactly how often will it be used?
    I know the answer to that.

My attic is vented with controlled in/out ventilation as I store a lot of stuff up there I want to keep in good condition so your humidity comment is somewhat muted.
    Inverter appears to have a large rear heatsink so no fan therefore no internal dust collection.

I'm refering to this comment more than anything.

slave1 wrote: »
    Excellent job, really knowledgeable chap, well open to questions and all the work was really neat.

The attic is more subject to humidity and temperature flunctuations than habited areas of the dwelling. This is pretty certain. Hence anything you put up there that is weather sensitive will not last as long as something in a stable environment.
    Would you put a computer server up there too?

The battery with bms is vented though no?

That's not a battery disconnect it's a repurposed 3 phase fuse carriage by the looks of it. I doubt it's even DC rated. It's absolutely not a switch-disconnect.
    How often do you need it?
    Servicing and emergencies.
    In the event of an emergency...after you clamber into the attic would you like your e-disconnect device to light the air with an arc of plasma baring in mind that emergency might be a source of explosive gas?

LOL, your post is quite extreme, what gas, no gas in my house nor my neighbourhood, server in attic a good 10/12 years, never an issue.

Sorry I posted now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I'm refering to this comment more than anything.

The attic is more subject to humidity and temperature flunctuations than habited areas of the dwelling. This is pretty certain. Hence anything you put up there that is weather sensitive will not last as long as something in a stable environment.
    Would you put a computer server up there too?

The battery with bms is vented though no?

That's not a battery disconnect it's a repurposed 3 phase fuse carriage by the looks of it. I doubt it's even DC rated. It's absolutely not a switch-disconnect.
    How often do you need it?
    Servicing and emergencies.
    In the event of an emergency...after you clamber into the attic would you like your e-disconnect device to light the air with an arc of plasma baring in mind that emergency might be a source of explosive gas?

Come on Liam, don't piss in his cornflakes. :):):):)

Batteries release explosive gas when fatally short circuited, punctured, charged when frozen, overcharged or develop internal faults, etc...

Those fuse carraiges are weapons in the wrong circumstances, I won't fit them. A lottov installers don't know any better.

Don't be sorry, you didn't install it, better be informed than not though?
    That pylontech is IP20.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Come on Liam, don't piss in his cornflakes. :):):):)

Errr....excellent job is subjective, ya know...devil's advocate me....I'll get me coat...

....Sher twil be grand & work until it doesn't like the rest of them. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Well done @slave1, and even better for sharing your details with people who will appreciate the info you've provided.

Errr....excellent job is subjective, ya know...devil's advocate me....I'll get me coat...

....Sher twil be grand & work until it doesn't like the rest of them. :o

i think you need go make a cup of tea or stick your finger in a socket...whichever is more convivial :D

* No malice, intent or otherwise intended...just in case its misconstrued :D

So just finished off my system today and after a lot of researching and pricing here's my final system/cost...

1 no Battery to inverter. Pylon tec 2.4 kw including mounting bracket.

Do you have a breakdown of the costs you can share with us?

So it's ok to put inappropriate switchgear in an installation as long as you're nice about it and the client doesn't know any better?
    Ignition protected switch disconnects cost the same as those fuse holders...

not a big tea drinker me...I don't mind sockets so much. Only one of the three options are potentially hazardous.

Edit:

Here's a contactor. [magnetic latching and IP version]
    Here's a switch
    i think you need go make a cup of tea or stick your finger in a socket...whichever is more convivial

* No malice, intent or otherwise intended...just in case its misconstrued

None taken nor intended with any of my posts I focus on the technical not the personal.
    Two things:
    I do good business fixing other installers' work so power to their elbows!
    thuther's I am a human voltmeter...I've had enough zaps now to be able to tell you the voltage ±15V by the bang of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Great info, thanks for posting.

Do you know where your fitter sourced the 410w panels?

I can't find any panels bigger than 360w

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭irishchris

Was there pictures earlier on this? Not showing on phone for me?

Do you have a breakdown of the costs you can share with us?

I don’t, I concentrated on the overall cost to me, the material/labour/profit element is something I simply never enquired about.

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Great info, thanks for posting.

Do you know where your fitter sourced the 410w panels?

I can't find any panels bigger than 360w

I don’t, I think it was up the North, I was originally going for 370w panels but there was a supply issue so I took a step back and said fek it and went for the bigger panels to max my roof utilisation and also compensate for my relatively poor aspect and tree shading.
    The panels are 2m X 1m just to give you an idea

irishchris wrote: »
    Was there pictures earlier on this? Not showing on phone for me?

Yes, I originally uploaded some photos but don’t want the grief that came with it so deleted them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

Yes, I originally uploaded some photos but don’t want the grief that came with it so deleted them...

Some might say his posts were indirect bullying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement