Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah maybe...

A friend of mine built his own 12kWh battery from an old Leaf and he's giving me ideas. He recently bought another full battery too.

a Leaf can be got for as low as €4k these days, so that's a degraded 24kWh pack right??

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Nissan/Leaf?sort=price%20asc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Yeah maybe...

A friend of mine built his own 12kWh battery from an old Leaf and he's giving me ideas. He recently bought another full battery too.

What did he pay for the pack? I'm told an early pack is about €1500 these days. Pack was originally 24kWh, so probably about 15-16kWh left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Another quote received;

7 panel 2.1kW system with hot water diverter: €5,900 (€4,100 after grant), and they include the new BER after the install.. (minus €500 if we don't get the diverter) I'd like to thing we'd get something during the summer for hot water, as winter the heating coming on heats the water tank..

Batteries probably pointless for us as we are both home during the day, so there'd never be enough excess (from 2.1kW) to put anything meaningful into a battery.

They don't say which panels they use, but its the crowd Electric Ireland use..
    edit: the panels are Peimar SG310M

Thats expensive.
    Solar as a service is doing that with Eddie for 4800 or without for 2400 all playable over 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

jod1983 wrote: »
    Now this looks alot better:D

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4.2 KW. JA SOLAR 25 YEAR GUARANTEE
    4.8 PYLON BATTERY 3.6 SOLIS INVERTER
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE
    ALL WORK CARRIED OUT BY OUR TRAINED ROOFERS /ELECTRICANS APPOX. 2 DAYS
    PRICE 9500 EUROS (grant available 3000)

thanks for every ones feedback to me.

Still waiting on a few more

For that money I got 6.4kw (20x 320w panels), just up and running today and generated 8.2kwh. Can't stop looking at the graphs!

Is there much difference between panels? I saw datasheerd for JA, longi, etc and all seemed similar. I just got my system installed, it was quoted as longi panels, but I think amerisolar may have been installed, so just checking to see if it makes little odds as long as they are the same (quoted) wattage. They are all black mono 320w.

• Advertisement

tails_naf wrote: »
    Is there much difference between panels? I saw datasheerd for JA, longi, etc and all seemed similar. I just got my system installed, it was quoted as longi panels, but I think amerisolar may have been installed, so just checking to see if it makes little odds as long as they are the same (quoted) wattage. They are all black mono 320w.

I personally have both Longi and Amerisolar panels in use and they are fine. As would any other panel installed by Irish installers.

I would be a bit careful about ordering panels of unknown make / provenance yourself directly from China though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Most quotes seem to be with batteries and diverters. Not much interest in battery or hot water diverter. Seems like a waste of money, for me anyway.

What would be a competitive price for a 4/5KW system? Ball park

My average daytime use since getting the day/night meter back in February is 7.1kWh, so with a 2.1kW system, am I wasting my time with a hot water diverter?

Or would I see some benefit during long summer days (and thus reduce the need for gas to heat my hot water only during summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

jod1983 wrote: »
    Now this looks alot better:D

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4.2 KW. JA SOLAR 25 YEAR GUARANTEE
    4.8 PYLON BATTERY 3.6 SOLIS INVERTER
    EDDIE WATER DIVERTER
    WIFI DONGLE
    ALL WORK CARRIED OUT BY OUR TRAINED ROOFERS /ELECTRICANS APPOX. 2 DAYS
    PRICE 9500 EUROS (grant available 3000)

thanks for every ones feedback to me.

Still waiting on a few more

Excellent, try for a 5kw Solis inverter. better to be looking at than for it. It shouldn't be much more. €200 ish

Another quote received;

7 panel 2.1kW system with hot water diverter: €5,900 (€4,100 after grant), and they include the new BER after the install.. (minus €500 if we don't get the diverter) I'd like to thing we'd get something during the summer for hot water, as winter the heating coming on heats the water tank..

Batteries probably pointless for us as we are both home during the day, so there'd never be enough excess (from 2.1kW) to put anything meaningful into a battery.

Thats to much by a long shot
    Aim for 350w. 310w is very 2018.
    if you can fit more all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

Another quote received;

Are you restricting yourself to 7 Panels and 2.1kw due to "planning limits" ? If so, you'll see how others on here are regarding the regulations. The overall advise is to install as many as possible, and if you are really into planning guidelines, just apply for planning permission for more. You're not likely to have huge excess from 2.1kw especially from now until next Spring. And you'll never manage to put a drop of power into an EV from 2.1kw

And you finances don't allow for bigger, just ensure that the first install is done in a corner rather than symetrically on your roof. You want to leave space to add more later. You're not entering a competition for the best looking install on the road. Admirers will more be interested in filling the roof rather than something plonked right in the middle, giving little or no ability to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

unkel wrote: »
    What did he pay for the pack? I'm told an early pack is about €1500 these days. Pack was originally 24kWh, so probably about 15-16kWh left

He I think he paid closer to €2k, but it's a gen 2 24kWh Leaf.

championc wrote: »
    Are you restricting yourself to 7 Panels and 2.1kw due to "planning limits" ?.

I am certainly not interested in planning regulations (as evidenced by the 2 Velux windows I had installed at the front when getting the attic converted).

I’m slightly restricted by available roof space. On the front I have the 2 Velux windows as well as a pointless dormer feature that does nothing (I might get 2 panels in the front under the Velux windows, but I’ve been told 2 on a single string would be pointless (but perhaps if they were 540w it could work?)).

That leave the only viable option for panels being the side hip which faces SW.. I’d be looking to get as many there as I could..... the only issue on that roof is the chimney, but as can be seen by its shadow, it doesn’t come up over the highest point of the roof, but could still cast shadow on some panels!!

(If I had the room, I’d install 20+ panels)

531169.png

I am certainly not interested in planning regulations (as evidenced by the 2 Velux windows I had installed at the front when getting the attic converted).
    attachmentid=531169&d=1604084209[/IMG]

Personaly I would aim for panels 350watt and and higher, 400watt even.
    With your limited space its the only option. push every supplier and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

What about the rear of the house? I know it’s NW but you’d still get 60-75% the production of your front roof. Do you have your hot water zones to heat up separate from CH? If so, forget about the diverter and save yourself 500. But the quote you posted is a bit high tbh.

Have a separate zone for water and for CH,

Though I wouldn’t mind the 500 outlay if it meant that in summer I’d have hot water, and wouldn’t need to burn gas for 30-60 minutes a day to heat the tank, even if the payback period is quite long....

Our idea is do do as much as we can now to reduce our bills down the line, even if the initial outlay is on the high side. A Heat pump will be the next project to do within the next 18-24 months or so....

I would have thought a NW facing aspect wouldn’t be worth it, but if it could work, we could get 4-panels on the roof, as well as another 2 on the kitchen extension roof..

6 wrote: »
    Most quotes seem to be with batteries and diverters. Not much interest in battery or hot water diverter. Seems like a waste of money, for me anyway.

What would be a competitive price for a 4/5KW system? Ball park

I wouldn't pay a cent more than 4k. But you should be able to do much better than that tbh.

Though I wouldn’t mind the 500 outlay if it meant that in summer I’d have hot water, and wouldn’t need to burn gas for 30-60 minutes a day to heat the tank, even if the payback period is quite long....

Our idea is do do as much as we can now to reduce our bills down the line, even if the initial outlay is on the high side. A Heat pump will be the next project to do within the next 18-24 months or so....

I would have thought a NW facing aspect wouldn’t be worth it, but if it could work, we could get 4-panels on the roof, as well as another 2 on the kitchen extension roof..

How big is your tank? If you have showers in the morning you use up the hot water before the Eddi has had a chance to dump energy in. If you have a particularly large tank >= 240l you would have enough hot water left over from the previous day. Also matters where and how long the immersion element is. If it goes in from the top it may not reach the bottom and leave a quarter of the tank cold. We have a small 114l tank and with three women in the house we need the boile to come on even after the immersion having been on.

Do you know the slope of your roof? The tool below will tell you how much a NW roof would generate in a year.
    https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

Also be careful with the number of roofs. You can generally only have panels on two orientations before you start needing another inverter or optimisers.

If you are space limited, solar thermal is an option. The efficieny there is 70%+ so this mens for the same area you can used 3.5x of the sun's energy. I installed solar thermal 10 years ago (60 tubes) and the boiler doesn't come on from April to September, all hot water is provided (300l tank, always warm due to solar thermal). Also installed solar PV this week as I had spare roof space, as I also want to long term reduce bills and also be greener.

I’m pretty sure the tank is 120L, I bought a factory insulated Staines steel one when we moved the hot press due to the attic upgrade. Showers are generally had in the evenings...

Absolutely no interest in Solar Thermal, it’ll be PV only for us, and if we can get some extra for hot water in the evenings then grand so, if not, FIT will mean we won’t really be losing anything.....

• Advertisement

Yep that looks like 120 alright. You could make the diverter work for you but tbh you won't make your money back. If you want it just for the convenience of not having to turn on the boiler 4 months of the summer and don't care about the cost then go for it. But my guess is you will still be turning the boiler on many days. That tank is small enough that it will heat up quickly and will be finished with a couple of long showers.

Only 2 adults and a child in the house, so the 120L does us all when we need it (2 showers and a bath), and was a massive upgrade on the original 60L copper tank we removed...... as it’s factory insulated, once hot, it’ll stay hot for well over 24+ hours... typically a 30 minute gas boost a day during summer does all our needs...

As I said, we don’t mind the outlay now to reduce our bills long term... we’re both earning a decent wedge, so can afford these ‘upgrades’ now in order to reduce our outgoings into the long term future... where we can hopefully take a step back in work life and not endure so mush sh1te.....

Basically we want to make hay while the sun shines.....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rzeznik

I had my system 2.48kWh installed in Jul (8 panels, 310W, Mono).
    Cost of a system after grant 19.99per month over 10 years = €2389 (not including time value of money)
    There is an option to keep the €1800 grant - cost then goes up to €39.50 per month over 10years = €4740 (not including time value of money)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Rzeznik wrote: »
    Cost of a system after grant 19.99per month over 10 years = €2389 (not including time value of money)
    There is an option to keep the €1800 grant - cost then goes up to €39.50 per month over 10years = €4740 (not including time value of money)

Was that the package or did you buy extra panels.

I have to say if you don't have the cash, that monthly payment option does looks like an attractive option without having to borrow any money

Let's say you use about 50% of the production yourself (realistic enough if someone is at home all the time and you micro manage a bit by putting on washes etc. in full sunshine)

On a good location in Ireland with a fully south facing setup your 2.48kw system would generate about 2.48MWh per year. Times 50% self use times 14c per unit = nearly €15 saving per month. So in fact it only costs you a fiver a month and after 15 years it will actually start making you money

Even if it never made you any money, that's a small price to pay to go significantly greener. An average house (without an EV) uses 3.5MWh per year, so you would just cut your electricity net footprint by 70%. No small feat! Also if / when we get a FIT - even a low 5c per unit one - those figures will look better as you will save an additional €5 per month, making the system effectively free :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Rzeznik wrote: »

Can you PM name of company?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hi guys,

not wanting to start a new thread as I know my questions have been asked elsewhere but can't find them! Hope it's ok to pop in here.

Am I right in thinking the first step is to measure your roof and work out how many panels you can squeeze onto it?

I'm assuming the more panels the more elec? So max them out?

Also if people had any tools etc that helped with this step etc that would be great?

Have an SE/SW bungalow with a low pitch roof so potential have good space for panels. But would like to know what I'm looking for before I start getting quotes.

Thanks all round. Genuinely one of the best threads on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭phester28

measure back 500mm from hip of roof and leading edges. Panels are generally 1.6 x 1m for your 300-350W.

Fit as many as you can afford / are comfortable fitting. If you are true SE and SW then 3kw in either direction would be ideal. That's 8-10 panels for each direction.

Others will correct me but at this size you may benefit from getting a battery (nothing to do with the battery being cost effective) but the higher grant may be a better benefit for a larger install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭championc

Even the smallest of systems will potentially produce excess on a good sunny day. What you're looking to do is to meet your base load on a bad day.

Many would look to maximize your panels on the SW since you're likely to use more power in afternoons and teatime.

If you had or planned an EV, to look at charging an EV reasonably well, you'd possibly need a 4kw system at least.

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    Even the smallest of systems will potentially produce excess on a good sunny day. What you're looking to do is to meet your base load on a bad day.

Many would look to maximize your panels on the SW since you're likely to use more power in afternoons and teatime.

If you had or planned an EV, to look at charging an EV reasonably well, you'd possibly need a 4kw system at least.

For my EV I use night rate. You can also top up the PV battery (to say 50%) with the night rate so you can maximise the cheap units, buy less day units! If the PV fills the battery during the day it's diverted to hot water, so win win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement