Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Tenger wrote: »
    Will this be your first experience with Ryanair?
    Where exactly have you been for the last few years...........

Maybe second flight with them as I generally avoid them, I was hoping they might have changed a bit over time.

jorry wrote: »
    I've done it twice with 2 kids in toe and it was pleasant, flight time seemed to "fly by"... kids had tablets loaded with games and fully charged. Aer Lingus doe is a more pleasant experience once you are sat in your seat, just their flight schedules are not as convenient.

Same as me two kids.

Thats the plan, Nintendo switch, two phones and two tablets, plus headphones and powerbank battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

Phil.x wrote: »
    Same as me two kids.

Thats the plan, Nintendo switch, two phones and two tablets, plus headphones and powerbank battery.

Wow, is that not a bit overboard?

Is that so you don’t have to talk to them and you can ignore them?

What about a few books / magazines / colours etc?

Wow, is that not a bit overboard?

Is that so you don’t have to talk to them and you can ignore them?

What about a few books / magazines / colours etc?

Those as well, you can never have too much of anything to keep kids occupied, especially on flights longer than 2hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Shn99 wrote: »
    Seat recline, Sick bag, yes.
    Beer, hot food, yes but at a price.
    The rest, no.
    I’m delighted to say that Ryanair seat’s do not recline.
    Have to say it’s the absolute height of ignorance when suddenly someone in front of you, just launches themselves into what was your personal space without the slightest little word of common courtesy. Then proceed to act all indignant when been requested to move forward again. On Long duration flights yes I appreciate this needs to happen. However on a flight of 4 hours or less it not going to kill you if your seat doesn’t recline.
    I wish other airlines would follow the example for all European flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Have to say it’s the absolute height of ignorance when suddenly someone in front of you, just launches themselves into what was your personal space without the slightest little word of common courtesy. Then proceed to act all indignant when been requested to move forward again. On Long duration flights yes I appreciate this needs to happen. However on a flight of 4 hours or less it not going to kill you if your seat doesn’t recline.

I never engage in any communication with the passenger behind before I recline in case they somehow mistakenly believe I'm asking their approval or consent before enjoying the comfort feature of the seat I've paid for. I do however always recline it slowly and almost immediately after take off when I know for certain the table behind me is already empty and stowed.
    I understand that some people have strong opinions on the 'etiquette' surrounding the use of reclining seats, and in some cases unilaterally deciding when other people around them can and can't use them so it's very important people who feel this way only choose airlines that don't offer this feature (Ryanair for example). Some people choose to pay extra to travel with airlines that provide reclining seats (Aer Lingus, Lufthansa etc) and if you find yourself sitting behind me on one of those carriers you should be aware that I'll be reclining without engaging with you first...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Re Ryanair flights. Was in a hurry booking Ryanair flights recently and just booked basic through a third party site that I can only deal with by phone - apparently I didn't select the option and pay extra to do my business online. Does anybody know if you can retrospectively purchase the option to change/ cancel flights with Ryanair? TIA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I never engage in any communication with the passenger behind before I recline in case they somehow mistakenly believe I'm asking their approval or consent before enjoying the comfort feature of the seat I've paid for. I do however always recline it slowly and almost immediately after take off when I know for certain the table behind me is already empty and stowed.
    I understand that some people have strong opinions on the 'etiquette' surrounding the use of reclining seats, and in some cases unilaterally deciding when other people around them can and can't use them so it's very important people who feel this way only choose airlines that don't offer this feature (Ryanair for example). Some people choose to pay extra to travel with airlines that provide reclining seats (Aer Lingus, Lufthansa etc) and if you find yourself sitting behind me on one of those carriers you should be aware that I'll be reclining without engaging with you first...

If I'm behind you you'll feel my knees digging into your back for the whole flight, because there's nowhere else for them to go. The passenger behind you also paid to fly on the same flight as you and deserves the same level of comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If I'm behind you you'll feel my knees digging into your back for the whole flight, because there's nowhere else for them to go. The passenger behind you also paid to fly on the same flight as you and deserves the same level of comfort.

Quite agree, I'm 6 3" and if someone reclines my knees are trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Coming off a long haul flight and connecting onto a short connecting flight is exhausting, so if I want to recline the seat and get an hours snoozing in before arriving back into say; Dublin, what's the problem? If you're tall you can always pay extra for an aisle seat or extra legroom one if youre so easily triggered. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Coming off a long haul flight and connecting onto a short connecting flight is exhausting, so if I want to recline the seat and get an hours snoozing in before arriving back into say; Dublin, what's the problem? If you're tall you can always pay extra for an aisle seat or extra legroom one if youre so easily triggered. Simples.

Not in anyway triggered. Just stating a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Not in anyway triggered. Just stating a fact.

Fair, but the fact is that a reclining seat is provided for in the service you paid for. At least Ryanair is an alternative for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Agreed, I'm 6ft6" myself and so seats are already a squeeze regardless of airline. I get reclining for long haul flights but short haul there's really no need imo, personally I just find it inconsiderate for the person behind you, granted I think most feel the same as I rarely see people reclining around me when I'm on a non-Ryanair short haul flight.

Pat Dunne wrote: »

Looking at how much this coronavirus is spreading I might not need to worry about reclining seats as there'll be no holiday at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

All flights currently operating as normal:
    So, what happens if you have a flight booked and it gets cancelled?

As of now, neither Ryanair or Aer Lingus have cancelled flights as a result of the coronavirus outbreaks.

In a statement to TheJournal.ie, Ryanair said that “at present all Ryanair flights are operating as normal”.

“We will follow all public health instructions that are issued.”

Similarly, Aer Lingus said it is continuing to “operate flights to and from all destinations on our network”.

“We will continue to closely monitor the situation and follow all guidelines from the relevant authorities in relation to this issue,” it told TheJournal.ie.

If flights do begin to be cancelled in the coming days or weeks as a result of the virus, there are a number of options for travellers affected.

If your flight is cancelled, the airline must offer you a choice between the following:

rerouting as soon as possible
    rerouting at a later date at your convenience
    a refund
    If you choose the first option (re-routing as soon as possible) and are travelling home, your airline must provide you with care and assistance while you wait for the alternative flight. Care and assistance comprises:

meals and refreshments as reasonable in relation to waiting time
    hotel accommodation where an overnight stay becomes necessary
    transport between the hotel accommodation and the airport
    two free telephone calls/access to email
    More information about passenger rights and flight cancellations can be found here.

However, people who are flying to and from countries outside the EU and experience cancellations may face some difficulties with securing refunds or re-routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Quite agree, I'm 6 3" and if someone reclines my knees are trapped.

That's why it's very important you only choose carriers like Ryanair that don't offer reclining seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Looking at how much this coronavirus is spreading I might not need to worry about reclining seats as there'll be no holiday at all.

Or your
    USB power? Earphone socket? Wifi? Reclining seats? Beer? Hot food? Sick bag?
    as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

This is very interesting, seems like Ryanair are in hot water with US investors about Union recognition ;

I just came across this on Reuters :

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ryanair Holdings Plc and Chief Executive Michael O'Leary failed to persuade a U.S. judge to dismiss a securities fraud lawsuit accusing Europe's largest budget airline of defrauding them by downplaying its willingness to recognize labor unions.

While dismissing much of the proposed class action, U.S. District Judge Paul Oetken said shareholders could try to prove that Ryanair intended to mislead them with statements indicating a "near certainty" it would not welcome unions, the recognition of which could increase costs and reduce profitability.

The Manhattan judge said this included O'Leary's statement at Ryanair's September 2017 annual general meeting that hell would "freeze over" before the Dublin-based carrier accepted unions.

Such statements "are impossible to reconcile with O'Leary's subsequent admission that he had 'long anticipated' unionization," and were "direct evidence" of possible intent to mislead shareholders, Oetken wrote.

Ryanair offered that December to recognize pilot unions, to avert a possible strike, and its American depositary shares fell 5.2% that day.

Oetken also dismissed claims concerning other statements about Ryanair's labor relations, profitability and growth targets, finding no proof the statements were false.

Ryanair and its law firm did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Lawyers for the lead plaintiff did not immediately respond to similar requests.

The lawsuit was filed in November 2018 by an Alabama fund, the City of Birmingham Firemen's and Policemen's Supplemental Pension System, on behalf of Ryanair ADS investors from May 30, 2017 to Sept. 28, 2018.

Ryanair cited labor issues when it cut its full-year profit forecast on Oct. 1, 2018. Its share price closed that day more than one-third below its level in mid-March.

O'Leary has been Ryanair's chief executive since 1994.

The case is City of Birmingham Firemen's and Policemen's Supplemental Pension System v Ryanair Holdings Plc et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 18-10330

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Tempted to use the voucher offered by Ryanair and book something for next summer. I've noticed a lot of routes are loaded already but some aren't, e.g. Nice, MRS etc.

Anyone know when the 2021 summer flights for those might be available?

Lots of the popular ones are there like BCN and AGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - is Ryan air not flying to Sicily anymore, I was looking for flights to Sicily in December and there doesn't seem to be any!

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

When searching fares the app says error and website doesnt go beyond egg timer. This is second time in a week. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

This is a strange one :

KARACHI: Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) and Ireland’s Ryanair have signed an agreement under which the former will provide its Boeing-777 aircraft to the latter to operate cargo flights between China’s Urumqi city and Pakistan.

According to the agreement, the aircraft will operate on this route for four months.

A spokesperson of the national airline said the PIA cut down on its flights owing to travel restrictions brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, which rendered many of its planes idle. It, therefore, converted its Boeing 777 passenger aircraft into a cargo plane and leased it out to the foreign airline, he added.

This aircraft has the capacity to carry 52 tonnes of cargo.

Pakistan will export dry fruit, including pine nuts, to China through this flight. Besides, the spokesperson said, the PIA is entering into strategic partnerships like other airlines in the crisis-hit aviation industry. Such union is aimed to benefit from each other’s experiences and share resources, he elaborated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Rawr

kub wrote: »
    This is a strange one :

KARACHI: Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) and Ireland’s Ryanair have signed an agreement under which the former will provide its Boeing-777 aircraft to the latter to operate cargo flights between China’s Urumqi city and Pakistan.

According to the agreement, the aircraft will operate on this route for four months.

A spokesperson of the national airline said the PIA cut down on its flights owing to travel restrictions brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, which rendered many of its planes idle. It, therefore, converted its Boeing 777 passenger aircraft into a cargo plane and leased it out to the foreign airline, he added.

This aircraft has the capacity to carry 52 tonnes of cargo.

Pakistan will export dry fruit, including pine nuts, to China through this flight. Besides, the spokesperson said, the PIA is entering into strategic partnerships like other airlines in the crisis-hit aviation industry. Such union is aimed to benefit from each other’s experiences and share resources, he elaborated

This is an odd one. I can't imagine Ryanair have anyone rated to fly a 777? Maybe they do...but I'm not sure it's likely.

Could it be that this Cargo run is some kind of trial run? That they use these to train up some Ryanair pilots to fly the 777? If I remember right PIA are currently banned from flying their own metal into Europe. However....if their long-haul metal was technically "Ryanair", would *that* be a way to get around the ban?

Some kind of cunning plan is afoot here maybe?

777s are cheap and can cross the Atlantic from Western Europe. see airline lease rates Winter 2020 at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1440991
    Other airlines are so vulnerable coming out of this Covid crisis that if Ryanair take a bite out of their trans-Atlantic economy passenger revenue they'll be rightly screwed. Trans-Atlantic from Frankfurt, Dublin, Stansted, Charleroi fed from the rest of the Ryanair network and other airlines start hurting.
    A 777-300 in all economy can take 550 passengers. With few business class travelers European airlines are so vulnerable.
    Perhaps I'm adding one and one and coming to three but they can afford to do it, have a motivation to do it and technically can't be stopped from doing it if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Rawr

777s are cheap and can cross the Atlantic from Western Europe. see airline lease rates Winter 2020 at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1440991
    Other airlines are so vulnerable coming out of this Covid crisis that if Ryanair take a bite out of their trans-Atlantic economy passenger revenue they'll be rightly screwed. Trans-Atlantic from Frankfurt, Dublin, Stansted, Charleroi fed from the rest of the Ryanair network and other airlines start hurting.
    A 777-300 in all economy can take 550 passengers. With few business class travelers European airlines are so vulnerable.
    Perhaps I'm adding one and one and coming to three but they can afford to do it, have a motivation to do it and technically can't be stopped from doing it if they so wish.

It's not a bad theory.
    If they could somehow plan it carefully and time a launch for whenever these COVID lockdowns (hopefully) end, they could be in for a killing. I'm guessing it would be easier to source these 777 too, sidestepping the Dreamliner supply problems Norwegian had at the start of their long-haul ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Said years ago that Ryanair should have bought a few 748's and based them at Shannon, fly to there from all over Europe, do preclearance in Shannon and the be able to fly to anywhere in the US. A WOW air or Icelandair style but in Shannon and with preclearance. I know things have changed now and there is lots of planes lying around, so maybe now use a 777, or 787.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Poor journalism I think, it should refer to Rayyan Air of Pakistan.

https://profit.pakistantoday.com.pk/2020/10/24/pakistani-airline-rayyan-air-to-charter-pias-boeing-777/

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/boeing-repaid-ryanair-250-million-due-to-new-aircraft-delays-1.4398249

Boeing repaid €250Million to Ryanair for delivery delays on planes they don't really want to receive at the moment. It is an ill wind that blows no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/boeing-repaid-ryanair-250-million-due-to-new-aircraft-delays-1.4398249
    Boeing repaid €250Million to Ryanair for delivery delays on planes they don't really want to receive at the moment. It is an ill wind that blows no good.

Where does it say that in the link you dropped?

Advertisement