Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding Horror

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

531460.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Infinite loop. Rookie mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭meep

GetTested() will have HCF if it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

var is never reassigned - use const instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

fcrossen wrote: »

What so have a load of dead people getting tested, wearing masks, 6 feet apart and washing hands?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What so have a load of dead people getting tested, wearing masks, 6 feet apart and washing hands?! :D
    Surely those who don't wear masks, don't keep 6 feet apart or don't wash hands are the const?
    :D

Would not be able to change a const which is true to false!

var dead = !still_alive; ��*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭spaceCreated

Checks this thread... still don't see any of my code... relax

Checks this thread... still don't see any of my code... relax

You need to post it first :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I got my very first infinite loop in JavaScript last week.
    I let it run for a bit to enjoy the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could easily be reassigned within the methods, GetTested() seems like a good candidate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

FBC030-D5-BA7-F-4-E5-E-8707-74-DCCB3606-C3.jpg

Stolen from Reddit, a message on the PlayStation app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just got an email from our software lead, the jist of it was "IT have accidentally deleted all of our VMs"... So the main Git repo for a dozen ongoing projects, bug tracking, code analysis, build, test, gone. For some reason backups haven't been made for a month. Have to piece source code and histories back together from developers PCs. What a mess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just got an email from our software lead, the jist of it was "IT have accidentally deleted all of our VMs"... So the main Git repo for a dozen ongoing projects, bug tracking, code analysis, build, test, gone. For some reason backups haven't been made for a month. Have to piece source code and histories back together from developers PCs. What a mess...

Someone from IT is getting a promotion when the dust settles I imagine...... as would typically be the case.

This is also one of the reasons why in our place no one is allowed to delete any git repos...... ever

This is also one of the reasons why in our place no one is allowed to delete any git repos...... ever

What about the servers they are hosted on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wombatman wrote: »
    What about the servers they are hosted on?
    Loophole!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm fairly sure that the max size for an Access 97 database is 1GB.
    The recommended size for an Access DB should be 0Kb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Lol. In fairness it has its "limited" uses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness, when I used it, it was for desktop use and quite often anything the client wanted had to be scrutinised by IT who could take 12-24 months to look approve something.
    It's not ideal as a database but definitley has its uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

In fairness, when I used it, it was for desktop use and quite often anything the client wanted had to be scrutinised by IT who could take 12-24 months to look approve something.
    It's not ideal as a database but definitley has its uses.

Exactly my experience.

IT: Peabrains using Access should be banned from computers!

Business: I need a database!

IT: That'll be 500 grand, we have to do a review of our server estate, I need you to answer 500 questions about which flavour of Red Hat Linux we should use, you've got to have 20 "governance oversight people" employed, you'll have to raise a change request any time you want a field added that'll cost you 50 grand and 6 months, and oh we'll get round to it sometime in the next 4 years.

Business: Double clicks Access.

IT: *Stoopid noobs*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

VB.NET

OK, I started off in it, and it has some nice features (and some gothchas, IFF)

But try writing a lambda, or a LINQ statement.

This was the company that chose VB.NET to make it easier... for the developers. LOL!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    VB.NET

OK, I started off in it, and it has some nice features (and some gothchas, IFF)

But try writing a lambda, or a LINQ statement.

This was the company that chose VB.NET to make it easier... for the developers. LOL!

Started off programming is classic VB. VB 6 was marvelous when it came along. Transitioned with my company to VB.NET. Kinda attached to it and vbscript too.

VB.NET is on life support and not worth the hassle of programming in when you can use C#. For every 50 C# tutorials, code samples, courses, scaffolding templates, libraries you might find one obscure one for VB. Tell your company to cease and desist developing VB.NET now. Total pain in the hoop at this stage.

https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2020/03/12/vb-in-net-5.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭purifol0

Are IT/Sysadmin stories allowed here?

Got called in to old company where I was the sysadmin. New IT guy is in is 40's but completely new to the field and lied his ass off on the CV. I'm there to advise/consult & generally check up on everything, because my old manager (not an IT guy at all but the job was dumped on him) was REALLY concerned about the new guy.

Walk in the door: They have a new guest wifi. Great right? - Connects to corporate network. Literally same LAN, same subnet just a new SSID.

Complaints that the new computers are going slow. New IT Guy gave everyone brand new NUCs, connected them all to the wifi. Now there are approx 50 devices per access point (including everyone's company phone and personal mobile).

They are having difficulty saving word and excel docs on the server because wifi is now completely congested.

New IT guy had been watching Professor Messors A+ course, told him to go look at his Net+ videos and look under collision domains.

Had a holiday ruined because as the only IT staff in a SME the 3rd party IT company had sold us a new Router/Firewall to replace the ancient sonicwall. I was all for it, the old equipment the was there before me was slowly getting chucked as the company trusted me more and business was picking up so there was a bit of budget left over.

Told them I'd be back in the office Wednesday. They arrived Tuesday and installed the new one...alongside the old one.

No big deal right, a few minutes of unplanned downtime isn't good but it isn't the end of the world.

Ohohoho. So they gave the installation to some know nothing via Remote hands ie a guy on a phone telling some newbie what to do. Got a million calls after that even though I wasn't even back in the country because the internet wouldn't work right, it was up but everything was ****ed.

Turns out they installed the new one along with the old one, same IP. Traffic was getting split and since its the Gateway...well try it some time. Failover WAN never engaged because technically the primary one still works 50% of the time.

3rd party company acting like it was on big deal, and trying to tell management I was clueless and inexperienced behind my back. HEY GENIUSES I run the on-prem email server, I can see when you contact management.

I don't know how much the 3rd party paid their techs but it turns out that they all sold and installed the same Firewalls the same way for all their clients. Cisco configs pasted into the terminal with the same admin user and pass for remote 3rd party access (at least it would deny remote access form anything other than their companies static IP).

Same deal with switches. And everything else.

Single Sign On with Active Directory integration for the extremely expensive on premises windows server systems they keep selling? Nah, separate local accounts for everything.

I once accidentally left a visible database connection string in a client file. Oops.

My coworker one time deleted a record on a production database table, with cascading deletes turned on. Database devoured. Oops++

Remember that story where some guy deleted his own entire enterprise data, backups and all, from the linux command line?

True or not, I'd nearly walk into the sea. (except I wouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,216 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

TheChizler wrote: »

holeee sheeet

lawred2 wrote: »
    holeee sheeet

Holy SF!

What kind of practices do some companies have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

purifol0 wrote: »
    HEY GENIUSES I run the on-prem email server, I can see when you contact management.
    Yeah, you probably dont want to be reading emails that aren't yousrs...

Advertisement