Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Clerical Officer 2021 in the Civil and Public Service (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I applied for this just today, I really want a permanent role but I am very eager to get into the public service, the pay scale transparency and the job security are so appealing for me. Would it be advisable to leave my current private sector role if I'm offered a temporary CO role if I'm looking at eventually moving into the public sector full-time?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

How many people have uploaded empty documents or the wrong thing that they need to send out a message double checking people uploaded the correct one?

I know!! Reading that had me worried I'd uploaded the wrong thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Fbjm wrote: »
    I applied for this just today, I really want a permanent role but I am very eager to get into the public service, the pay scale transparency and the job security are so appealing for me. Would it be advisable to leave my current private sector role if I'm offered a temporary CO role if I'm looking at eventually moving into the public sector full-time?

No the public sector don’t work like the private, you could do loads of tcos but the process public jobs uses to hire full time people is designed primarily to justify its own quango does not take into account any of that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

How many people have uploaded empty documents or the wrong thing that they need to send out a message double checking people uploaded the correct one?

I'm having same problem. When I upload doc to check it, it won't open.

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

If you have a permanent job, it wouldn't be worth giving up for a temporary contract. But its really up to you to decide what is best in your personal circumstances.

A TCO contract could be for 8-26 weeks, and although it is possible get extended up to 18 month, its not probable that would happen as some department simple don't allow extensions.

If the decision is made to extend a TCO contract, it would most like be about 4 week out from the end date and based on the business need at the time rather than the quality of the candidate.

You might be extremely lucky and get offered an 26 week contract, get extended up to 18 months and, If you apply/progress through the CO campaign, get offer of permanent job before you finish as a TCO. **Alternative, you might get offered a 13 week contract and nice "sorry to see you go" card at the end.

If you have a permanent job, it wouldn't be worth giving up for a temporary contract. But its really up to you to decide what is best in your personal circumstances.

A TCO contract could be for 8-26 weeks, and although it is possible get extended up to 18 month, its not probable that would happen as some department simple don't allow extensions.

If the decision is made to extend a TCO contract, it would most like be about 4 week out from the end date and based on the business need at the time rather than the quality of the candidate.

You might be extremely lucky and get offered an 26 week contract, get extended up to 18 months and, If you apply/progress through the CO campaign, get offer of permanent job before you finish as a TCO. **Alternative, you might get offered a 13 week contract and nice "sorry to see you go" card at the end.

The last point there is what happens 99.9% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

The last point there is what happens 99.9% of the time

Just say you get a contract, do your 12 weeks, got on well, get the card saying good luck, What happens after that ? Are you off the panel for the rest of the year ? Or could you get another contract elsewhere, assuming your on the year around panel ?

Just say you get a contract, do your 12 weeks, got on well, get the card saying good luck, What happens after that ? Are you off the panel for the rest of the year ? Or could you get another contract elsewhere, assuming your on the year around panel ?

Unfortunately not, some people may get 8/10/13/26 week contract but once your assigned, your off the panel. Unless you get an extension, you would need to reapply the following year to get another contract.

If your on the all year round panel, you do have a better chance of getting a longer contract but thats no gaurantee they wouldn't offer you 8 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

jules5417 wrote: »

You can check the document after you've submitted your application and update it if needed, as they said in today's message.

You can check the document after you've submitted your application and update it if needed, as they said in today's message.

Thank you. I was worried about submitting it in case PAS couldn't open it.

What message I only got one regarding closing tco 2020.

Your out, extensions do not happen because that would require some forward thinking and the use of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Red Honeysuckle

jules5417 wrote: »

Log into your account. Go to my applications. It will have the online form and then below application form. Click on that and it will show you of its the correct one. I always save it as its original name and add . completed after it so I know its the correct one

Log into your account. Go to my applications. It will have the online form and then below application form. Click on that and it will show you of its the correct one. I always save it as its original name and add . completed after it so I know its the correct one

Just checked it and I had sent blank one so updated and sent new one. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭furrybones

I know!! Reading that had me worried I'd uploaded the wrong thing!

It's freaked me right out. I've gone in TWICE and downloaded it from the application to make sure it's not blank. It's not, but I'm still freaked out, lol. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

furrybones wrote: »
    It's freaked me right out. I've gone in TWICE and downloaded it from the application to make sure it's not blank. It's not, but I'm still freaked out, lol. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The problem for me is if I upload the form from their job spec it is word pad so corrupted file so I have sent a odt file from Libre office fingers crossed its OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your out, extensions do not happen because that would require some forward thinking and the use of logic.

Extensions can and do happen.

Some departments have a policy of no extensions. But even there, exceptions can be made and sometimes are.

Some departments have a policy of no extensions. But even there, exceptions can be made and sometimes are.

I think more broadly it seems extensions are not common practise. Quite a few recently appointed TCO's have reportedly been given so called "open contract" (which I take to mean Specific Purpose rather than the usual Fixed-Term) which could make it easier to extend, and perhaps that may change the situation also.

• Advertisement

Principal officers have requested I be kept and even that didn’t work because HR can’t bring themselves to tick a boxes. Don’t be giving new applicants false expectations,there is more of a chance that the department gets hits by lightning and burns down.

I think more broadly it seems extensions are not common practise. Quite a few recently appointed TCO's have reportedly been given so called "open contract" (which I take to mean Specific Purpose rather than the usual Fixed-Term) which could make it easier to extend, and perhaps that may change the situation also.

Open contracts seem to back again but there not handed out on merit some of the laziest gob****es ive met are tcos with open contracts and unless they kill someone their not turfed out because HR are incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Principal officers have requested I be kept and even that didn’t work because HR can’t bring themselves to tick a boxes. Don’t be giving new applicants false expectations,there is more of a chance that the department gets hits by lightning and burns down.

Someone I know well has had a different experience.

As well, someone he worked with clocked up 18 months (a maternity leave and then a extended to do a sick-leave cover) with one department, had a month off, then got a six month contract with another department off the next panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

TCO contracts being extended are the exception as opposed to the rule. If you go in as a TCO expect to finish when your contract is up no matter how much your Managers like you. I have seen contracts extended but this in my experience of three Departments is rare and none were offered permanent positions. They were replaced with CO's from the permanent panel. Which is cruel but that's how it usually works I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caro3

What type of questions are in Stage 1: Assessment questionnaire?
    Is it verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and checking test, same as permanent CO or is it different?
    thank you

Caro3 wrote: »
    Is it verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and checking test, same as permanent CO or is it different?
    thank you

Exact same.

thank you
    Exact same.

No, the assessment questionaire is like a personality or job suitablity test. You will be given a statement that you need to rate based on your attributes, job preferances, and skills/attitude.

Part 1 about you - Someone who likes meeting new people.
    • Very like me
    • Quite like me
    • Cannot say
    • Not quite like me
    • Not at all like me

Part 2 the job you want - be able to structure my own work
    • Any job I do must include this
    • I would prefer this but its not essential
    • I wouldn't mind if this was part of my role or not
    • I would prefer not, or only a small part of my role
    • I would not want this to be part of my role

Part 3 Your skill, experience or attitudes compared to others you know

- Working in a team
    • Better than most
    • slightly better than most
    • Boardly the same as most
    • Not quite as good as most
      Or
    • I have no experience of this

No, the assessment questionaire is like a personality or job suitablity test. You will be given a statement that you need to rate based on your attributes, job preferances, and skills/attitude.

Part 1 about you - Someone who likes meeting new people.
    • Very like me
    • Quite like me
    • Cannot say
    • Not quite like me
    • Not at all like me

Part 2 the job you want - be able to structure my own work
    • Any job I do must include this
    • I would prefer this but its not essential
    • I wouldn't mind if this was part of my role or not
    • I would prefer not, or only a small part of my role
    • I would not want this to be part of my role

Part 3 Your skill, experience or attitudes compared to others you know

- Working in a team
    • Better than most
    • slightly better than most
    • Boardly the same as most
    • Not quite as good as most
      Or
    • I have no experience of this

Ya the same exact thing that’s in the CO one

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caro3

From your answers, I understand there is also a questionnaire on our job suitability test.
    I thought the phase 1 for CO (also) included verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and checking test?
    Is it not the case?
    And if it is, is it the same for Temporary CO?
    Thank you for your answers.

• Advertisement

Ya the same exact thing that’s in the CO one
    From your answers, I understand there is also a questionnaire on our job suitability test.
    I thought the phase 1 for CO (also) included verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning and checking test?
    Is it not the case?
    And if it is, is it the same for Temporary CO?
    Thank you for your answers.

Verbal, Numerical reasoning or the Checking test are not normally part of the TCO selection process.

I don't expect that to change this year.

Advertisement