Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Archbishops call for Catholics to be allowed to attend Mass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Set up a new cult.

Organisations that are up to their eyes in criminality need to be outlawed and have their assets seized.

But you think the law shouldn't be applied to your mob?

Says a lot about you that your worry is about a religion and not about a criminal organisation of rapists and kidnappers.
    Says a lot that you can't answer a simple question as to what, on a practical basis, outlawing the Catholic Church would look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Says a lot that you can't answer a simple question as to what, on a practical basis, outlawing the Catholic Church would look like.

Why do you think it's my job to outline what would it would be like?

That would be up to the members to decide what to do next and to work within the law with any new cult that they decide to set up.

Why do you think the RC church should be above the law?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Are you saying that if the Vatican disbanded in the morning you could no longer be a Catholic? That without the organisation existing the belief also ceases to exist?
    If Zebra3 had his way and went down the Henry VIII/Cromwellian road and outlawed the Church, which one would have to assume would also involve outlawing Priests, Bishops etc. and hence also outlawing the sacraments, Mass etc. it would be very difficult to practice (note I said practice in my previous post) the faith wouldn't it?

Of course Zebra3 seems very reluctant to actually explain what he means by "outlaw". In this instance it seems fair to look at previous attempts to outlaw the Church in Ireland and assume it would be something along the same lines.

Why do you think it's my job to outline what would it would be like?

That would be up to the members to decide what to do next and to work within the law with any new cult that they decide to set up.

Why do you think the RC church should be above the law?
    You are the one saying it should be outlawed. Seems reasonable that you should explain what you actually mean by that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about Coronavirus restrictions as they apply to the Catholic Church. Please take wider discussions about the Church elsewhere

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    For what they done in Ireland they should have been banned here. Stuff was banned for less

Writers like John McGahern for one, JP Donleavy another...innocuous stuff that apparently would warp impressionable minds and foster licentious behaviour. Catholic Church here very fond of censoring opinions contrary to their own but don't dare criticise them or the persecution complex will overload. Let he who without sin shatter the glass house, etc.

I, and hundreds of thousands of others are forced out of work until a possible lessening of restrictions in early December. We have to grin and bear the economic and emotional fallout. And it could be worse, we're not breaking rocks in a Chinese mine. For parishioners whining about being unable to attend mass, get over yourselves and wait out a few weeks with the rest of us mere mortals. Tune in to the daily over airwaves, or a find a live stream online. Failing that, get out the rosary beads and say a decade. Or whatever. You can pray in the sanctuary of your own home.

Edit: Only spotted Beasty's post above now. Duly acknowledged.

Writers like John McGahern for one, JP Donleavy another...innocuous stuff that apparently would warp impressionable minds and foster licentious behaviour. Catholic Church here very fond of censoring opinions contrary to their own but don't dare criticise them or the persecution complex will overload. Let he who without sin shatter the glass house, etc.

I, and hundreds of thousands of others are forced out of work until a possible lessening of restrictions in early December. We have to grin and bear the economic and emotional fallout. And it could be worse, we're not breaking rocks in a Chinese mine. For parishioners whining about being unable to attend mass, get over yourselves and wait out a few weeks with the rest of us mere mortals. Tune in to the daily over airwaves, or a find a live stream online. Failing that, get out the rosary beads and say a decade. Or whatever. You can pray in the sanctuary of your own home.

Edit: Only spotted Beasty's post above now. Duly acknowledged.
    (Because of mod edict I will only address the bolded bit)

I would agree, but it's not merely a few weeks, it's indefinitely. The current plan, as stated by Varadkar, is to go back to level 3 (Mass is banned at level 3) on December 1st and then, when things inevitably get worse again, level 4 and 5 and keep bouncing like this until a vaccine is widely available, which could be who knows when. It is not planned, or even envisioned, that a return to level 2 (where worship is allowed) will happen.

What I am saying is that religious worship should be allowed at the lower levels, and only stopped on level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I'd rather see a criminal organisation that has been deeply involved in raping kids, protecting rapists, kidnapping women and enslaving them being outlawed.

As a daily mass goer and practicing Catholic I find that extremely offensive.

I will leave this thread if that is the tone of the discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The current plan, as stated by Varadkar, is to go back to level 3 (Mass is banned at level 3) on December 1st and then, when things inevitably get worse again, level 4 and 5 and keep bouncing like this until a vaccine is widely available.

This is worth emphasising.

We are currently enduring a few weeks of level 5 to "save Christmas".

But the Christmas that is planned will have no church services for anyone. No carols. No parties. No shows. No pantomines. No markets. Nothing except shopping and small-family dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Satan is trying to separate as many people from Jesus Christ before he returns. The bible specifically talks about the mark of the beast in the end times. Covid 19 is the mark. If you look at what the Luciferian illuminati occult are doing they have all the messages in plain sight. Corona stands for 666 as per the book of revelation, Covid 19 stands for certificate of vaccination identification artificial intelligence. Book of Daniel gives a time period of 60 to 70 years after the recreation of Israel before Jesus returns, which is the period we are now in. Those keeping the churches closed will end up in hell, but those continuing to believe the gospel and what Jesus Christ did must endure through all this as Satan will try to take as many souls with him and Christians are his prime target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

If Zebra3 had his way and went down the Henry VIII/Cromwellian road and outlawed the Church, which one would have to assume would also involve outlawing Priests, Bishops etc. and hence also outlawing the sacraments, Mass etc. it would be very difficult to practice (note I said practice in my previous post) the faith wouldn't it?

Of course Zebra3 seems very reluctant to actually explain what he means by "outlaw". In this instance it seems fair to look at previous attempts to outlaw the Church in Ireland and assume it would be something along the same lines.

Fair play to you John for starting the thread . .I did have a look at the front page. I just couldn't cope with Zebra3's posts. The gospel of today was very timely. ''Blessed are you when people revile you because of me''.

I really miss mass and the Eucharist . Speaking today to my friends we miss the fellowship of our prayer groups. We now ''meet up'' on zoom three times a week and honestly it makes us feel even more isolated. Bloody zoom!!

I was very ill back in July and was in hospital until the middle of September. I got mass and holy Communion three days in a row in September when I was well enough to go out and about and then the churches were closed under level 3 restrictions, . I was so looking forward to going to Confession because I hadn't been able to get a priest in hospital because of covid restrictions so now I haven't been since July.

30 players can slobber over each other on a rugby pitch for eighty minutes but we cannot exercise our constitutional right by attending religious services! Priests could be jailed if found to be celebrating mass in public. My father used to tell me stories about the Black 'n tans. I never thought I would see the day where I too was forbidden from attending at the celebration of the Eucharist.

I won't be joining you on the thread any further. The likes of Zebra3 really don't understand what they are doing so we can forgive them.

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Fair play to you John for starting the thread . .I did have a look at the front page. I just couldn't cope with Zebra3's posts. The gospel of today was very timely. ''Blessed are you when people revile you because of me''.

I really miss mass and the Eucharist . Speaking today to my friends we miss the fellowship of our prayer groups. We now ''meet up'' on zoom three times a week and honestly it makes us feel even more isolated. Bloody zoom!!

I was very ill back in July and was in hospital until the middle of September. I got mass and holy Communion three days in a row in September when I was well enough to go out and about and then the churches were closed under level 3 restrictions, . I was so looking forward to going to Confession because I hadn't been able to get a priest in hospital because of covid restrictions so now I haven't been since July.

30 players can slobber over each other on a rugby pitch for eighty minutes but we cannot exercise our constitutional right by attending religious services! Priests could be jailed if found to be celebrating mass in public. My father used to tell me stories about the Black 'n tans. I never thought I would see the day where I too was forbidden from attending at the celebration of the Eucharist.

I won't be joining you on the thread any further. The likes of Zebra3 really don't understand what they are doing so we can forgive them.

Hope your health has improved and you are doing better now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Satan is trying to separate as many people from Jesus Christ before he returns. The bible specifically talks about the mark of the beast in the end times. Covid 19 is the mark. If you look at what the Luciferian illuminati occult are doing they have all the messages in plain sight. Corona stands for 666 as per the book of revelation, Covid 19 stands for certificate of vaccination identification artificial intelligence. Book of Daniel gives a time period of 60 to 70 years after the recreation of Israel before Jesus returns, which is the period we are now in. Those keeping the churches closed will end up in hell, but those continuing to believe the gospel and what Jesus Christ did must endure through all this as Satan will try to take as many souls with him and Christians are his prime target.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Do NPHET know this? Is it Level 6?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

A lot of catholics would want to read their bible!
    Matthew 6:5-6
    5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

A lot of catholics would want to read their bible!
    Matthew 6:5-6
    5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

This related to Pharisees with pride in their heart who wanted to be seen as holy. It is misquoted time and time again by those who don't want the gospel preached. Did Jesus stay quiet and warn people about the fires of hell that await? If one soul can be saved then it will have been worth it.

This related to Pharisees with pride in their heart who wanted to be seen as holy. It is misquoted time and time again by those who don't want the gospel preached. Did Jesus stay quiet and warn people about the fires of hell that await? If one soul can be saved then it will have been worth it.

Nobody is stopping the gospels from being preached. Nobody is stopping mass from being said. It just cannot be done in the normal way because we are in the middle of a pandemic.
    Are you honestly saying that putting thousands of lives at risk to save one soul by physical attendance at mass is worth it? That's some messed up view of things!

Nobody is stopping the gospels from being preached. Nobody is stopping mass from being said. It just cannot be done in the normal way because we are in the middle of a pandemic.
    Are you honestly saying that print thousands of lives at risk to save one soul by physical attendance at mass is worth it? That's some messed up view of things!
    Where is the evidence that Mass attendance is putting thousands of lives at risk?

Remember, at level three you can do things like getting your hair cut but can't go to Mass. Why not allow it, with due restrictions in numbers, masks, distancing etc. at level three and only ban it at level five/full lockdown?

I have made this point many times on this thread but it seems to be missed, for Catholics, watching Mass on TV is not the same as attending Mass. When you attend at Mass you assist at it, i.e. the sacrifice, and obviously can receive Eucharist. Watching it on TV, while it has some merits, is no where near the same, religiously speaking, as being there. It's not a case of it being "not as good" but rather fundamentally different.

Now, a protestant of certain denominations may argue that there is not a root difference (fundamentally) for them by not being able to attend divine worship and instead watching on TV, but it is different for Catholics, but they would still argue, as they have in the north and the UK at the moment, that worship should be allowed.

Where is the evidence that Mass attendance is putting thousands of lives at risk?

Remember, at level three you can do things like getting your hair cut but can't go to Mass. Why not allow it, with due restrictions in numbers, masks, distancing etc. at level three and only ban it at level five/full lockdown?

I have made this point many times on this thread but it seems to be missed, for Catholics, watching Mass on TV is not the same as attending Mass. When you attend at Mass you assist at it, i.e. the sacrifice, and obviously can receive Eucharist. Watching it on TV, while it has some merits, is no where near the same, religiously speaking, as being there. It's not a case of it being "not as good" but rather fundamentally different.

Now, a protestant of certain denominations may argue that there is not a root difference (fundamentally) for them by not being able to attend divine worship and instead watching on TV, but it is different for Catholics, but they would still argue, as they have in the north and the UK at the moment, that worship should be allowed.

It boils down to the fact that being indoors with a large crowd for an extended period of time puts more people at higher risk than needs be. I do get how important it is to some people, but it doesn't change the fact that it really is not essential. It's not important to the economy and let's face it, most parishes have quite a surplus every year so they are not short of a few quid from the collection plate. I know that one parish in Tralee has had a surplus intake of over 100k in each of the last 2 years.
    There has not been 1 really good argument for allowing masses to be honest.

It boils down to the fact that being indoors with a large crowd for an extended period of time puts more people at higher risk than needs be. I do get how important it is to some people, but it doesn't change the fact that it really is not essential. It's not important to the economy and let's face it, most parishes have quite a surplus every year so they are not short of a few quid from the collection plate. I know that one parish in Tralee has had a surplus intake of over 100k in each of the last 2 years.
    There has not been 1 really good argument for allowing masses to be honest.
    It's fifty people, all masked and socially distanced at 2 meters. There will be more people in a supermarket, which would probably be a smaller building.

Your definition of "essential" is merely based on the economy? Would you also ban weddings and funerals? (at which 25 are currently allowed)? Why has pretty much the entire rest of the world, including secular France, decided not to ban Mass? They seem to think that exercising a fundamental human right is "essential".

Since when is going to Mass about money? People are not asking to go to Mass so they can make a donation. It probably would be easier for many priests if the churches remained closed for the duration but the Bishops have reacted to pressure from the laity on this point who are annoyed at being denied access to Mass for an indefinite period.

• Advertisement

It's fifty people, all masked and socially distanced at 2 meters. There will be more people in a supermarket, which would probably be a smaller building.

Your definition of "essential" is merely based on the economy? Would you also ban weddings and funerals? (at which 25 are currently allowed)? Why has pretty much the entire rest of the world, including secular France, decided not to ban Mass? They seem to think that exercising a fundamental human right is "essential".

Since when is going to Mass about money? People are not asking to go to Mass so they can make a donation. It probably would be easier for many priests if the churches remained closed for the duration but the Bishops have reacted to pressure from the laity on this point who are annoyed at being denied access to Mass for an indefinite period.

I wouldn't place any trust in people who think mass is essential to follow scientific guidelines to be fair. Look at the level of maturity shown by three priests recently in speaking about this. One Kerry priest repeating misinformation in his Sunday sermon, despite the fact that he was corrected after first making false claims on the Saturday. Then comparing this lockdown to the terror unleashed by the black and tans 100 years ago. How can you trust people with that mind set to follow strict guidelines.
    Anyway, I'm done with all this. I find it hard to reason with one side that basically believes in magic and believes that their belief in magic should have some sort of say in how a government runs a country.

I wouldn't place any trust in people who think mass is essential to follow scientific guidelines to be fair. Look at the level of maturity shown by three priests recently in speaking about this. One Kerry priest repeating misinformation in his Sunday sermon, despite the fact that he was corrected after first making false claims on the Saturday. Then comparing this lockdown to the terror unleashed by the black and tans 100 years ago. How can you trust people with that mind set to follow strict guidelines.
    Anyway, I'm done with all this. I find it hard to reason with one side that basically believes in magic and believes that their belief in magic should have some sort of say in how a government runs a country.

Ok, so your objection is down to your bigoted views about Catholics. Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

If you are that hostile to religion you shouldn't be offering an opinion in the first place.

Obviously an atheist with contempt for religion is going to offer up waffle about mass being "non-essential".

The country isn't a toy that the government can twist into any shape it likes. We all have a say in whether we condone these extreme, disruptive shutdowns.

Ok, so your objection is down to your bigoted views about Catholics. Got it.

No, it's down to it not being necessary. I love going to the gym, I go 5 mornings per week when it's open. But it's not essential. It would make as much a difference to my life as mass would to others. But, it's a global pandemic and we are living in unprecedented times. I'm able to be a big boy about and not throw my toys out of the pram because I want it.

growleaves wrote: »
    If you are that hostile to religion you shouldn't be offering an opinion in the first place.

Obviously an atheist with contempt for religion is going to offer up waffle about mass being "non-essential".

The country isn't a toy that the government can twist into any shape it likes. We all have a say in whether we condone these extreme, disruptive shutdowns.

What is hostile? I just called out some pretty reprehensible behaviour by priests on the matter. Those comments really weren't showing leadership or maturity. Or do you think it's OK to compare restrictions put in place for public health to the atrocities carried out by the black and tans?

Archbishop Eamon Martin has called on people to lobby their TDs to rescind the ban on religious worship at levels 3, 4 and 5 on the governments Covid plan, or at least not to ban it at levels lower than the top level, level 5.

Separately, Declan Ganley has initiated Court proceedings against the government arguing that the ban on Mass and religious worship is unconstitutional.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/declan-ganley-in-legal-challenge-to-covid-restrictions-on-religious-services-39714327.html

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Good and it should never stopped- I don’t know what the Catholic Church, Church of Ireland and all others were thinking of by allowing their services to shut like this.
    I’m not my very religious but it means a great deal to many people to worship freely- an absolute cornerstone of our constitution after all. I sincerely hope not to see this carry on repeated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Good and it should never stopped- I don’t know what the Catholic Church, Church of Ireland and all others were thinking of by allowing their services to shut like this.
    I’m not my very religious but it means a great deal to many people to worship freely- an absolute cornerstone of our constitution after all. I sincerely hope not to see this carry on repeated

Plenty of people are making sacrifices. People are well capable of worshiping whatever deity they believe in freely from their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »

Wowser, I had a quick look at your post history out of utter curiousity. You're a very angry man, I think you need to go to confession asap. Covid is driving you nuts. Relentless. Take a break for your own sake.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement