Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Can't be easy for players under current circumstances and I'd like to thank them all for getting on with it and providing entertainment. It must be strange for them travelling to matches alone. People all over the country are being affected in different ways, players are people.

Glad it's Galway in the Final as I can't stand Wexford type of play. I expect the match today to bring on our lads and give Galway a right match.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Next day joey for wallace,
    Browne in midfield with leahy for me.

Im probably 1 of richies biggest fans but those easy misses are happening far to often.glad were not playing wexford as I cant stand their way of playing.can see cody realy getting aftrr them in training and all to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Grats wrote: »
    Can't be easy for players under current circumstances and I'd like to thank them all for getting on with it and providing entertainment. It must be strange for them travelling to matches alone. People all over the country are being affected in different ways, players are people.

Glad it's Galway in the Final as I can't stand Wexford type of play. I expect the match today to bring on our lads and give Galway a right match.

Definitely agree it will bring them on but the complacency was poor same happened in the football with monaghan and cavan. Maybe it's the empty stadiums, time of year/uncertainty and water breaks. I saw alot of positives first half's and I don't think we will have a poor showing that bad again

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Definitely agree it will bring them on but the complacency was poor same happened in the football with monaghan and cavan. Maybe it's the empty stadiums, time of year/uncertainty and water breaks. I saw alot of positives first half's and I don't think we will have a poor showing that bad again

I agree entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny had a 15 point lead at half time. It felt to me as if Kilkenny said to themselves that Dublin would make a push for the first 10 minutes of the second half. If they could hold them during that period, it was game over. After 10 minutes of the second half, the lead had increased to 16 points and Kilkenny stopped playing. In fairness, Eamon Dillon made a big difference to Dublin. I thought that Billy Ryan's man had got a yellow card but Billy didn't?
    Galway were impressive but would prefer to view a match with them involved rather than Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

blackcard wrote: »
    Kilkenny had a 15 point lead at half time. It felt to me as if Kilkenny said to themselves that Dublin would make a push for the first 10 minutes of the second half. If they could hold them during that period, it was game over. After 10 minutes of the second half, the lead had increased to 16 points and Kilkenny stopped playing. In fairness, Eamon Dillon made a big difference to Dublin. I thought that Billy Ryan's man had got a yellow card but Billy didn't?
    Galway were impressive but would prefer to view a match with them involved rather than Wexford

Pretty sure Ryan had got a yellow card earlier

Pretty sure Ryan had got a yellow card earlier

He did for a high tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Decided to wait until posting just to calm down and watch the other game. Plenty of positives especially in the first half, We got goals and had opportunity for more. All the forwards scored from play and the forwards worked well together, loved TJ in full forward. Buckley looked the best I’ve seen him in a while which doesn’t mean he was great but certainly better just a few silly frees. R Reid on an other day could have had a great game but he showed his worth of having him in there. Delaney looked good I thought the ref (who was terrible) was very harsh on him a few times.

For all our positives a lot of it was down to Dublin’s set up. We didn’t work the ball up through the lines we just lumped it and it worked until they put in a sweeper and then we struggled. The work rate completely dropped and the backs distribution was brutal. Our backs don’t catch many balls and the forwards went cold and we were lucky to hang on. Browne and hogan with 2 terrible wides. I’d have Joey from the start esp against Galway and leahy has to play at least he can carry the ball forward. Galway forwards looked good today but Wexford had plenty of chances so I expect a high scoring game but if we don’t massively improve and improvise it will be another Leinster final defeat. Padraig was poor today but lawor was great in full back I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

conor05 wrote: »
    If Dublin had of got their tactics right from the start I think they would be in Leinster final, not Kilkenny.

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle

And on this nonsense of players having to travel to games on there own in cars and playing in empty stadiums and how strange it must b for them.... It’s total total nonsense... there not babies... Players should (and I’d be thinking most of them are) just get on with it... FFS if all people had to bother them was playing hurling/football in an empty stadium.. then I’d say they are in a good place with little or nothing to worry them...

2014 Leinster Championship match against Galway was a learning experience for me. KK 10 points up with 7 minutes to go. Ended up a draw. KK stopped hurling same as today. Happy to give away points and frees. Then a goal is conceded. Even happier to give away frees now than conceding a goal. A few more points from frees and then a goal......

What was extremely disappointing today was the simple chances that we missed to arrest the slide. Richie Hogan 2 simple misses., Conor Browne, Wally, Eoin Cody, Padraig, Colin Fennelly failing to rise a ball....

I don't think I will be able to enjoy another match until we are about 30 points up with 5 minutes to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

I'm finding the doom and gloom merchants posting on here quite amusing. I would happily have taken a one point win before the start of yesterdays game, even if the game went the opposite way to the way I thought it would go. I thought we would be slow out of the blocks with Dublin benefitting from last weeks game and winning the early exchanges. While Dublin gave as good as they got in the early exchanges they were then blown away by our forward movement, workrate and ruthlessness in front of goal. Going man to man was only ever going to produce one winner so credit to Dublin for changing things up to bring them back into the game.

So what exactly happened in the second half? In my opinion there was a number of factors at play. Undoubtedly the change to a sweeper system benefitted Dublin but that wasn't the only factor. If Dublin had started with a sweeper I dont think the start of the game would have been just like the second half. A lack of proper match sharpness was also likely an important factor too. Challenge games, as useful as they are do not replicate the intensity and do or die(as yesterday essentially was) nature of championship games. A little bit of tiredness also came into play yesterday but I'll leave that one for now. Dublin had a game last week against an admittedly average Laois team but after last years result they would have approached that game in championship mode and with much to prove. So I think yesterday's blow out will bring our lads on a lot.

I think Dublin have been underestimated in all of this. They have loads of good hurlers and we have put us to the pin of our collar in the last few years. Let's not also forget that they knocked Galway out last year so they always have one or two big performances in them every year if maybe not the wherewithal to properly challenge at the big table. There are some people on here that think anything less than a 30 point win in every game with non stop short passing from goalie to corner back for every move and no mistakes made whatsoever is a failure and Cody should be sacked. Those people need to get real.

The inter county game has never been as competitive as it is now and other teams have good players and set ups too. And to the short passing bed wetters - personally I prefer the old fashioned long ball game with man on man hurling rather than this ugly short passing(throwing the ball in Limericks case) possession orientated monstrosity that a lot of teams are adopting now.

Back to yesterday - I think we need to review the make up of the back 6 and would not to see a few changes and positional switches for the next day. The front 6 probably picks itself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

I completely agree with you on the above comments - no crowd or noise atmosphere and the players can switch off easily in an unreal and never before experienced stadium surroundings.

I'm finding the doom and gloom merchants posting on here quite amusing. I would happily have taken a one point win before the start of yesterdays game, even if the game went the opposite way to the way I thought it would go. I thought we would be slow out of the blocks with Dublin benefitting from last weeks game and winning the early exchanges. While Dublin gave as good as they got in the early exchanges they were then blown away by our forward movement, workrate and ruthlessness in front of goal. Going man to man was only ever going to produce one winner so credit to Dublin for changing things up to bring them back into the game.

So what exactly happened in the second half? In my opinion there was a number of factors at play. Undoubtedly the change to a sweeper system benefitted Dublin but that wasn't the only factor. If Dublin had started with a sweeper I dont think the start of the game would have been just like the second half. A lack of proper match sharpness was also likely an important factor too. Challenge games, as useful as they are do not replicate the intensity and do or die(as yesterday essentially was) nature of championship games. A little bit of tiredness also came into play yesterday but I'll leave that one for now. Dublin had a game last week against an admittedly average Laois team but after last years result they would have approached that game in championship mode and with much to prove. So I think yesterday's blow out will bring our lads on a lot.

I think Dublin have been underestimated in all of this. They have loads of good hurlers and we have put us to the pin of our collar in the last few years. Let's not also forget that they knocked Galway out last year so they always have one or two big performances in them every year if maybe not the wherewithal to properly challenge at the big table. There are some people on here that think anything less than a 30 point win in every game with non stop short passing from goalie to corner back for every move and no mistakes made whatsoever is a failure and Cody should be sacked. Those people need to get real.

The inter county game has never been as competitive as it is now and other teams have good players and set ups too. And to the short passing bed wetters - personally I prefer the old fashioned long ball game with man on man hurling rather than this ugly short passing(throwing the ball in Limericks case) possession orientated monstrosity that a lot of teams are adopting now.

Back to yesterday - I think we need to review the make up of the back 6 and would not to see a few changes and positional switches for the next day. The front 6 probably picks itself again.

Here here finally some common sense I said after the game there were alot of positives first half

Here here finally some common sense I said after the game there were alot of positives first half

Count me in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭kksaints

That's fine but when other teams are playing a sweeper and the majority of the long, high, coming down with ice passes that we are hitting are been swept up by the defense who have two to one coverage, it might be a good idea to have some form of variation in the passing rather than just repeating the same thing over and over again and getting the same results. You don't have to go full Limerick or Wexford even but high hanging passes straight down the middle are a gift for most defenses these days. Even in the first half yesterday we hit some sharp diagonal passes for Billy Ryan and Eoin Cody to run onto to and they worked fine and we got some decent scores from them but in the second half we reverted to type and struggled to win the ball let alone clear ball in the forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

You need to get real.
    Losing a 15 point HT lead against Dublin in a championship game, and looking at a level game in injury time is absolutely abysmal and quite frankly shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Ok so men,
    How would you have set up for the 2nd half yesterday, knowing dublin would have the sweeper system in place?
    Surely they have talked about this in the Kilkenny camp after last years Wexford match and we would have been expecting to meet the system at some stage this year again.
    Are we really that limited?
    Can E Murphy not pick someone out with puckouts or is he just doing as he is told?
    Can our defence not try to use the ball a bit more when up against a sweeper or are they just doing as told?
    Is it a coaching issue or player issue?
    Gone is the day where you can just go on the back foot and lump ball after ball forward(although it did work in 1st half). Hurling has changed over the last 5 years.
    Is our club game a problem?? Most clubs a bit similar to county team, i.e direct style of play.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Doom and gloom merchants ffs. We're making the same mistakes the last 5 years and you're on about the game in isolation.

From an observers point of view and as I said last night if we had to continue with the diagonal balls outside the corners you take the extra man out of the equation. But last night we reverted to type just like the second half of last years All Ireland and hit straight line high ball down on top of the D. Every team now knows if you put someone there they will either be underneath the ball or straight on the breaking ball.

Play the ball to the corners and you force the extra man to move out of the middle. Play it to the sideline side of the forward and you're giving him a 70/30 ball instead of a 50/50 or in most cases with us a 40/60 ball. Half forwards coming fast on the inside shoulder then off that initial diagonal ball. Even if that doesn't work every time its way harder defend against and the forward making that move to outside opens up the space in front of the goal for runners from the half forward line to run into as well. This **** isn't rocket science. I don't want us to play like Limerick but I want us to show some game intelligence.

We all probably smirk when we see Cork doing the same thing year after year after year and expecting different results but we're a couple of years away from losing TJ and if we're still playing like this when he's gone we're ****ed just like them.

I've never been a Cody out man and I'm not going to start calling for his head after every game however we're now looking at a repeated inability to fix our problems. I believe a lot of it is on the players on the field. They shouldn't be making the same mistakes they've been making for as long as they have now. But ultimately the manager is the one who takes responsibility for the performances on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

You would be disappointed with the way our half back line and midfield use the ball at times. All good hurlers but at times its brainless stuff.our midfield is a problem not sure going back to Buckley and fogarty is the answer
    And richie reid has to hit the ground running .i would still rather be in our position than wexford .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

blackcard wrote: »
    Shocking second half display after a good first half along with a pile of soft frees given away. Wides by Browne and Hogan were dreadful. Couldn't understand Billy Ryan being taken off. We couldn't manage the sweeper system again

Maybe some soft frees given away, but I think a lot of them were in the refs imagination. I just checked the stats, 2nd half free count 15 to 6 in Dublin's favour. Anyone think that was an accurat reflection of the game?
    I think it was a huge factor in bringing Dublin back into the gane. And not just the scorable frees, the number of decent KK attacks that came to an end for ridiculous frees was doing my head in...

• Advertisement

Maybe some soft frees given away, but I think a lot of them were in the refs imagination. I just checked the stats, 2nd half free count 15 to 6 in Dublin's favour. Anyone think that was an accurat reflection of the game?
    I think it was a huge factor in bringing Dublin back into the gane. And not just the scorable frees, the number of decent KK attacks that came to an end for ridiculous frees was doing my head in...

The Dublin bench were extremely vocal, I don't know if this was a factor. You could hear them screeching for frees or for steps continually

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doel

Both of the teams being knocked regarding style of play, i.e Wexford and Limerick have improved a lot with their change of style.
    Before Davy came in Wexford were nowhere near where they were last year, a massively improved team who we cannot beat, largely owing to their style of play.
    Limerick to me are the best team around(kiss of death maybe)imo. We caught them cold in last years semi, rattling them early and they never recovered. They play a lovely brand of hurling, mixing it up at the right times. They used to launch ball after ball aswell but have adapted very well in my opinion.

Both teams change of style has contributed to a huge improvement in terms of performances and results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Limerick's final point before half-time is a great example of what we struggle it. Limerick defender has the ball in his own half and looks down the pitch to see 2 Limerick forwards against 3 Tipp backs. The Limerick player with the ball decided to play a lovely diagonal pass in front of Mulcahy, who gathers it and scores. That type of pass down the field completely takes out the spare Tipp defender.

Too often in that situation we would have launched it sky high and the KK forward would be competing with 2 Tipp backs to catch the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny very very average without TJ. In the first half alone TJ was involved in nearly 80% of the scores including the 3 goals. He is carrying the thing over the line every match. Kilkenny are getting worse every year with the exception of the great TJ, will need a big performance with everything going Kilkennys way to beat Galway and TJ to score and be involved in another 3-13 again. Another very average display from midfielders and backs. Our skill level in that area seem to be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny very very average without TJ. In the first half alone TJ was involved in nearly 80% of the scores including the 3 goals. He is carrying the thing over the line every match. Kilkenny are getting worse every year with the exception of the great TJ, will need a big performance with everything going Kilkennys way to beat Galway and TJ to score and be involved in another 3-13 again. Another very average display from midfielders and backs. Our skill level in that area seem to be poor.

Hard not to agree with this. Nearly every score in the first half, TJ seemed to be involved in it.

We couldn't beat Wexford last year in the championship because Matthew O'Hanlon was doing a man- marking job on TJ and the other forwards didn't step up enough.

He is not going to be able to carry the team through the next 3-4 matches by himself to win an All Ireland.

Just want to run an idea and get opinions off people so don't have a go but do people think it's time for a change at the top. The reason I say this is things look stale, no plan bs and as the game is evolving kilkenny are not despite have some technically gifted players. Was listening to the Sunday game and they was saying that mickey harte up in Tyrone had basically ran out of ideas despite having a good panel and it's time to move on.

I just wonder if the same could be in kilkenny. I'm not calling for the axe but would a change of ideas and heads result in our game developing. Limerick and Wexford were in dire straights a few years ago and since John kiely and davy have gone in they've improved greatly and evolved a style which suits there players and gameplan. Kilkenny however seem to be lost in that they want to achieve and haven't really kicked on or have a plan b. The game has changed alot in the last few years yet we don't seem to have. You look at the level of hurling limerick, tipp, Wexford and Galway play and its streets ahead of what we have, even clare on there day are a joy to watch were we always look rushed and not composed.

Like I say it's just a thought but our brand of hurling is not great. I know these are testing times etc and not ideal but this has been round abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Village87

Just want to run an idea and get opinions off people so don't have a go but do people think it's time for a change at the top. The reason I say this is things look stale, no plan bs and as the game is evolving kilkenny are not despite have some technically gifted players. Was listening to the Sunday game and they was saying that mickey harte up in Tyrone had basically ran out of ideas despite having a good panel and it's time to move on.

I just wonder if the same could be in kilkenny. I'm not calling for the axe but would a change of ideas and heads result in our game developing. Limerick and Wexford were in dire straights a few years ago and since John kiely and davy have gone in they've improved greatly and evolved a style which suits there players and gameplan. Kilkenny however seem to be lost in that they want to achieve and haven't really kicked on or have a plan b. The game has changed alot in the last few years yet we don't seem to have. You look at the level of hurling limerick, tipp, Wexford and Galway play and its streets ahead of what we have, even clare on there day are a joy to watch were we always look rushed and not composed.

Like I say it's just a thought but our brand of hurling is not great. I know these are testing times etc and not ideal but this has been round abit.

I said it here 2/3 years ago it will be 10 years until Kilkenny win an all ireland from the last one. They last won one in 2015

In the next 2/3 years TJ and especially TJ who is now 33, Richie Hogan, Padraig Walsh, Colin Fennelly, Cillian Buckley, Walter Walsh will be gone or very close to it. Kilkenny underage record last 10/12 years is poor. Could be lean few years ahead. Minor teams last 10 years have been poor for Kilkenny standard.

A few years ago we got beat by Westmeath in u21 championship. On that team that played Saturday were Conor Delaney, Huh Lawlor, Paddy Deegan, Conor Browne, Billy Ryan, Alan Murphy.

I think other counties have got better and are more competitive than ever but is it the fact they've took there game to the next level, changed the philosophies and developed a style that suits. I don't think we will see a full dominent team for a bit but looking at limerick and Galway they are miles ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    In the first half things looked very good.We smoothered their attack and sprayed nice bal into attack.To turn around and lump hit and hope ball after ball in the second half was dissapointing.
    Not to be signalling out two lads but browne and hogan had 3 chances and hit poor wides.
    I will give dublin credit and it's hard to stop that when it starts to turn but we see what limerick done yesterday when tipp started a fight back.
    It's back to the drawing board again I dont think deegan is good enough for 6 and that midfield was tried back 6 or 8 years ago.We know these are problem positions we don't seem to be trying to fix it.Dissapointed we changed fowards first while being over run in midfield.
    Did donnelly tire?billy was dangerous in the first half were they afraid of the yellow card?
    Huge improvements needed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Very disappointing 2nd half from KK on Saturday. I would like to see the following changes. Deegan to midfield with Fogarty, Lawlor to Centreback, Delaney to FB, Joey to the corner and Buckley back to the wing. Dont agree with bringing Colin out the field and if you want to move TJ in, leave the two of them inside like the Shamrocks did. Darren Mullen should be in the squad and possibly challenging Wallace for a spot. Hopefully Adrian Mullen is close because he is badly needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement