Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gogglebox Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Who'd have ever thought we'd have watched an episode of Gogglebox and the Goggleboxers would be told on the news that they could no longer spend time in one another home's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Who'd have ever thought we'd have watched an episode of Gogglebox and the Goggleboxers would be told on the news that they could no longer spend time in one another home's!
    2020 for ya

Sparko wrote: »
    Best show on Irish TV by a mile for me. I can't imagine it's overly expensive to produce, I wish it was on for longer runs.

I have said numerous times before, it is surely the cheapest programme to make, so why does it only get a 6 episode run?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I have said numerous times before, it is surely the cheapest programme to make, so why does it only get a 6 episode run?

Think next week will be ep 8 of this series.
    Does seem to be creeping downwards though, early series were 11/12 episodes and we actually got 23 episodes in 2017, over two series.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gogglebox_Ireland#Episodes

It's probably not that cheap really.

There's a lot of outside broadcast units involved in some far flung parts of the island, and people doing the sound and lighting in each location.
    Then an editing team having to cut 100 hours of material down to 45 minutes for broadcast.
    And they probably have to pay rights to rebroadcast clips from the programmes.
    So probably somewhere around the midpoint of expense for own productions for VM.

But it's still surely turning a profit, so give us some more eps plz.

Does seem to be creeping downwards though, early series were 11/12 episodes and we actually got 23 episodes in 2017, over two series.

There's a lot of outside broadcast units involved in some far flung parts of the island, and people doing the sound and lighting in each location.
    Then an editing team having to cut 100 hours of material down to 45 minutes for broadcast.
    So probably somewhere around the midpoint of expense for own productions for VM.

I realize they don't just send a camera round to Tadhg and his Nana's house. Otherwise we'd have 40 minutes of:

Nana: Is it on now
    Tadgh: yes Nana
    Nana: Hellooo? Is this working?

But all the crew you mentioned are needed for every other show too. Short of watching animals in Dublin Zoo and cutting out their rude antics, its got to be a very cheap programme, while also being one of the highest grossing ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What are the viewer ratings like for Virgin Media? Solid??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It's all done remotely, they turn up, install the cameras and leave. They just switch it on at sceduled times, 2 6hr sessions per week, same for all the households. Just like any job, they have to be there ready to go on time. In some clips on the show we see them coming into the room and the program has started - they cannot pause, they watch as if live tv. I only know this because I asked one of the ex families [who live local to me] about it. As for lighting, all that's required is a well lit room, ever notice even watching horror movies they have all the lights on in their living rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What are the viewer ratings like for Virgin Media? Solid??

Ratings seem to have done well, with them recording their highest ever ratings for the show:
    https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_One/status/1314185677035184128

When i said cheap I meant in the context of television production, which can have phenominal costs associated.

Game shows are commonly cheap to make, even despite giving away thousands by way of prizes.

In Gogglebox there is no set, so no set design, only a brief voice over. No studio, no make up artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

When i said cheap I meant in the context of television production, which can have phenominal costs associated.

Game shows are commonly cheap to make, even despite giving away thousands by way of prizes.

In Gogglebox there is no set, so no set design, only a brief voice over. No studio, no make up artists.

Any idea what the franchise fee would be for this programme? I'm guessing around €100K an episode but genuinely not sure, could be way off in either direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's all done remotely, they turn up, install the cameras and leave. They just switch it on at sceduled times, 2 6hr sessions per week, same for all the households. Just like any job, they have to be there ready to go on time. In some clips on the show we see them coming into the room and the program has started - they cannot pause, they watch as if live tv. I only know this because I asked one of the ex families [who live local to me] about it. As for lighting, all that's required is a well lit room, ever notice even watching horror movies they have all the lights on in their living rooms?

Not sure about the 'no pausing' thing - it did show a few of them pausing and rewinding a key scene from (I think) First Dates recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Not sure about the 'no pausing' thing - it did show a few of them pausing and rewinding a key scene from (I think) First Dates recently.

They also rewind when that doctor guy farted on the tonight show.

Might have changed but in old series they couldn't afaik, you'd see them run from the kitchen into living room as programs started - They do have a specific window in which to watch the listed programs though either way

UK GB tonight, if I'm honest, in general I prefer that. Might just be because I was used to that before the irish one even began, do like the irish one just if I had to choose ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

fin12 wrote: »
    They also rewind when that doctor guy farted on the tonight show.

Actually, I think that was the one I was thinking of, not First Dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I don't understand the appeal of this show... you turn on your TV and watch people watching TV. I genuinely don't get what part of this is entertaining?

Love if someone can enlighten me.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

kingtut wrote: »
    I don't understand the appeal of this show... you turn on your TV and watch people watching TV. I genuinely don't get what part of this is entertaining?

This thread is 90+ pages long, I'm pretty sure if you briefly scan a couple of them you'll get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

This thread is 90+ pages long, I'm pretty sure if you briefly scan a couple of them you'll get the gist.

I read through a bunch of the most recent ones before I posted and still fail to understand it. I'm obviously a rare breed though as it wouldn't still be on TV if noone watched 😊

Have you ever actually watched it? I didn't watch the first few series as I felt exactly like you, now it's one of my favourite programmes, love bot the Irish and UK ones.

I thought this week was great, a good few laughs, the best one imo was the lads Mam at the very end saying she was surprised about what they watch online...especially late at night lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It's more so the comments and interactions between the viewers, the differing reactions in the different houses to the same thing.

I didn't watch at at the start either as the premise of the programme didn't appeal to me but I love it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Any idea what the franchise fee would be for this programme? I'm guessing around €100K an episode but genuinely not sure, could be way off in either direction.

When you say franchise fee do you mean the fee paid to the company that originally developed the format? It wouldn't be anywhere close to that for a country as small as Ireland. I'd say the entire production budget per episode would be well below that.

Red Rock and Fair City both cost around €65k per episode apparently, so there is no way TV3 would be paying anywhere close to that per episode of Gogglebox.

• Advertisement

There is no real enlightenment, you either like the format ... or not. As obvious as it sounds; I was sceptical when it first showed up in the UK, thought the idea was a bit daft. But after watching it a few times I got it, it just clicked. Most of the time we watch tv as a family here the most amusing thing is often our own reactions to the nonsense on screen - whether it's a drama, movie, the news ... we take the pish out of everything and amuse ourselves that way, especially if what's on is crap. This is just an extension of that really, we're more amused by the family's reactions than anything they might be watching [as we don't get to see much of that tbh] The households on the show are supposed to represent the average viewer across the country, they have a good mix of youn, old, m/f, students, families, OAPs - it can be amusing to see the varying reactions across the board. If it's not for you, I'd understand, I know a lot of people are puzzled that I enjoy it, they just don't get it. But I don't get the sit com 'Friends', never found it particularly funny, certainly never followed it - but I can see why many do. Could be argued that nothing really ever happens in that show, you're just watching a bunch of late twenties flat mates do everyday things just with a splash of comedy chucked in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭goochy

I watched the repeat last night - was a bit low mood wise due to the lockdown - irish people really are funny - some of the things people came out with were hillarious - lifted my mood

if you dont get the appeal of the show and havent given it a decent go you are a bit lacking in humilty and sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭goochy

just to say i am irish - so i say it with pride about how funny we are

We do come out with some belters, but then some of the folk on the UK one are very funny too. Last night's UK one was a bit bland though, despite it being for comic relief, the 'celeb's' they had on didn't contribute anything extra to the usual

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The girl who shoots gun is hot, for that alone I watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Her and Lariche

I've no idea who yis are on about, I cannot think of one girl on the show that I would deem 'hot'! There's a couple that are not bad lookers but none that jump out, curious now, must look them up [I have no idea what any of the cast's names are]

[edit] Ok, a quick google on the gogglers :D - tells me that the shooter = Aíne, she's not bad looking but hot? nah ... and Lariche is the girl in Tallaght with the guy who's always in boxers, her brothers were also part of their crew but they're out for now - nope! them eye-lashes are enough to push me away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Her and Lariche

Shoots gun? No idea what that is :)
    Lariche - that fake accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

I've no idea who yis are on about, I cannot think of one girl on the show that I would deem 'hot'! There's a couple that are not bad lookers but none that jump out, curious now, must look them up [I have no idea what any of the cast's names are]

[edit] Ok, a quick google on the gogglers :D - tells me that the shooter = Aíne, she's not bad looking but hot? nah ... and Lariche is the girl in Tallaght with the guy who's always in boxers, her brothers were also part of their crew but they're out for now - nope! them eye-lashes are enough to push me away!

Aine is hot ....an older mans view !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Aine and Laura Grufferty too, both gorgeous.

Advertisement