Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The guy can’t defend to save himself. Great on attack, rubbish (lazy) on defence.

They were talking about Teddy Thomas not Zebo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Not sure if this was discussed but looks like Mr. President confirmed overnight that elite sport is excluded from the French lockdown.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/france-vs-ireland-six-nations-national-lockdown-fixtures-super-saturday-b1420027.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

swiwi_ wrote: »
    The guy can’t defend to save himself. Great on attack, rubbish (lazy) on defence.

I think this accusation is thrown at every one of the Racing backs, yet they managed to get to European Final and in reality could and should have won it. I know I would have preferred if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

WhoamI2022 wrote: »
    I think this accusation is thrown at every one of the Racing backs, yet they managed to get to European Final and in reality could and should have won it. I know I would have preferred if they did.

He is still a liability regardless of if others at his club being unfairly criticised

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

WhoamI2022 wrote: »

And in that final were (a) the best team in it deserving to win the title and also (b) their own worst enemy as they mixed the sublime with the unbelievably ridiculous. This is exactly the issue many have with Racing and some of their players. So transfixed with how wonderful their attacking game is they seem to forget that that's not all that there is to the game or that not all of their attacking plans will pan out.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    And in that final were (a) the best team in it deserving to win the title and also (b) their own worst enemy as they mixed the sublime with the unbelievably ridiculous. This is exactly the issue many have with Racing and some of their players. So transfixed with how wonderful their attacking game is they seem to forget that that's not all that there is to the game or that not all of their attacking plans will pan out.

The 9 had a nightmare start which cost the team and was nothing to do with the style of play. You could make the accusation against Russell for the intercept but I don't remember anything else that could be seen as unbelievably ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I don't post very regularly but I can't believe this Irish selection. It's Joe schmidt all over again and it hurts. We will be crucified for the same reasons we have been crucified in the past. And if people get upset about that comment then they have very short memories. And I do wonder when France run riot will people finally accept the ludicrous nature of our selections

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    I don't post very regularly but I can't believe this Irish selection. It's Joe schmidt all over again and it hurts. We will be crucified for the same reasons we have been crucified in the past. And if people get upset about that comment then they have very short memories. And I do wonder when France run riot will people finally accept the ludicrous nature of our selections

What XV would you pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Even if it were, and it's not ... Schmidt's the most successful coach in Irish rugby, ever. Why would that be something that hurts?

Short memories, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Scrum half is just about the only place that’s close to being up for contention, and no one in their right mind would give JGP his first start in France over Murray, who finally seems to have found some form.

otherwise it’s as strong as injuries allow, i think. Farrell over Earls on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I think Ireland could be in with a shot of winning - and even getting the four tries - if they don't get demolished in the scrum. The trouble is getting demolished in the scrum is very possible. It's sad to see Healy's decline. He's a shadow of the player he once was.

This is the problem with some “fans”. Schmidt was the most successful club and international coach ever in Ireland yet we see comments like this. It was time for him to move on and he moved on.

Trying to bad mouth a coach afterwards is standard with every single coach ireland has had, EOS, Kidney and Joe in the more recent times. Similar before.

While you are badmouthing the previous abs current coach what team would you pick for this game?

I think Ireland could be in with a shot of winning - and even getting the four tries - if they don't get demolished in the scrum. The trouble is getting demolished in the scrum is very possible. It's sad to see Healy's decline. He's a shadow of the player he once was.

I think I have seen you post numerous time about Healy and as yet you haven’t got the reaction you wanted so you continue to post the same thing. Maybe you might get the reaction this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Front row - strongest one available
    2nd row - not exactly stacked. Henderson is still suspended
    Backrow - strongest one available

Half backs - Murray is a lucky boy if truth be told. But he did have a decent game last week. And Sexton is still our best 10 available.

Centre - Strongest pairing available

Back three - Larmour (injured) and Earls (Just at tail and of rehab).

So who exactly is missing out that has played so well in last 2 month's, can feel aggrieved to be not selected?

Zebo - made his bed. Many, all from outside, have said policy should be changed. However none of them have to try and balance the books, or prepare a team with limited training time and can ill afford to have players not available to train due to travel, playing, recovery if playing In England or France.

The warning at start of this thread is not to discuss a certain player in France. Anyway he made the choice and was 100% aware of what happened when he moved to France. It’s a non story that gets fired up by press when nothing else is going on

I’m sure if he had any interest in playing for Ireland he could engineer a move back to Ireland. So let’s move on in regards to that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Gentle reminder that we beat France in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2015 (twice), and 2014 with Joe Schmidt selecting the team.

So we beat them in Paris in 2018 and 2014 and only went down to them by a point in 2016.

So if you feel Andy is picking a team like Joe you should probably be heartened....

The irony of accusing people of having short memories while seemingly forgetting our impressive record against France :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,840 ✭✭✭✭phog

Gentle reminder that we beat France in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2015 (twice), and 2014 with Joe Schmidt selecting the team.

So we beat them in Paris in 2018 and 2014 and only went down to them by a point in 2016.

So if you feel Andy is picking a team like Joe you should probably be heartened....

The irony of accusing people of having short memories while seemingly forgetting our impressive record against France :pac::pac:

Yes, we've shown we can now beat France but we don't beat too often in Paris and we certainly don't beat them with a big score difference home or away too often.

Beating France in Paris tomorrow and scoring four tries is a big ask.

phog wrote: »
    Yes, we've shown we can now beat France but we don't beat too often in Paris and we certainly don't beat them with a big score difference home or away too often.

No doubt it's a big ask. Bookies have France as the favourites which is pretty fair.

But I mostly wanted to call out the user whose offering nothing but sensationalism and completely misrepresenting both the current and previous coach.

Par the course in the international window though I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

phog wrote: »

I'm amazed at how much this same old drum is being beaten again this year. (not having a go at you phog).

As has just been pointed out, our recent record in Paris ain't that bloody bad at all!
    And more importantly, historically what used to make Paris a tough trip was the passionate partisan parisians!
    And guess what...there'll be none of them there this time!

How often have we heard "when playing in Paris, you need to stop France for the first twenty minutes. That way the crowd get a bit impatient and can turn on their own" etc etc.

No crowd this time folks.

They're there for the taking imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

We can win tomorrow i don't think that's in question. Can we win with the bonus point? unlikely.

A loss tomorrow, however, won't be a great start for Farrell and his honeymoon period will be most likely over and he will start coming under pressure. win and he gets a good run of it.

i'm not feeling too positive now about the immediate future, given the injuries and inexperience and the pending age related downturns of a good chunk of the squad. winning the championship as great as it will be is just delaying the inevitable rebuild needed in key positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think there's a great chance if we go for the tries from the off. I don't buy this "win the game first" idea that is sometimes trotted out when it's BP win or bust. Score the tries and you will almost certainly win the game anyway.

I think there's a great chance if we go for the tries from the off. I don't buy this "win the game first" idea that is sometimes trotted out when it's BP win or bust. Score the tries and you will almost certainly win the game anyway.

I don't imagine we'll be taking 3 points other than possibly in the first 10 minutes.

This game will be absolutely mad I feel.

Both teams just need a BP. It will be the southern hemisphere approach of "I don't care if you score 50 tries, we will score 51"

Weather looks like it will be dry so both teams will look to move it.

France obviously more suited to this low consequence throwing the ball about game.

But I feel the team that's out there can get some quick ball and cause some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yeah, I actually have a weird feeling that we're going to play a bit nuts and go all out attack.

kuang1 wrote: »
    I don't imagine we'll be taking 3 points other than possibly in the first 10 minutes.

I don't think we will be taking 3 points at all.

Unless England don't get the job done in Rome and all we need is a no BP win.

But it's likely all or nothing this game. Either we BP win and come 1st. Or we don't and we come 3rd.

Anything other than tries in this game are inconsequential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I believe Andy Farrell when he said in recent interviews that we will go out to win the game first, and then see what develops as the game goes on.
    By that I reckon we will try to be in front by half time, and if we do get some tries it will be in the second half we make a decision if we turn down shots at goal for a kick to the corner.
    So there's a 50/50 chance we'll be behind at half time and scoring tries for the sake of it will probably not come into it, just try and win.
    A win in Paris is a great result any time, so a bonus point is only really a cherry on top if the luck goes our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

kuang1 wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how much this same old drum is being beaten again this year. (not having a go at you phog).

As has just been pointed out, our recent record in Paris ain't that bloody bad at all!
    And more importantly, historically what used to make Paris a tough trip was the passionate partisan parisians!
    And guess what...there'll be none of them there this time!

How often have we heard "when playing in Paris, you need to stop France for the first twenty minutes. That way the crowd get a bit impatient and can turn on their own" etc etc.

No crowd this time folks.

They're there for the taking imo.

I love the optimism!
    What are basing it on though?

I think we will get well beaten looking at the quality of each 23.
    Ryan and Aki are the only players who i think could get in that French team.

I also think they have the better coaching team.
    France will dominate at scrum (thankfully weather forecast is for a dry night) and can see them scoring 3 or 4 tries.
    Dupont could even grab a couple himself. He looked in great form last week and i think Ireland will struggle to stop his line breaks and contain him when he runs those support lines.

Struggle to see where Ireland are going to score tries unless they can get some penalties and secure some good lineout ball for rucks and strike plays.
    30v14

I love the optimism!
    What are basing it on though?

I think we will get well beaten looking at the quality of each 23.
    Ryan and Aki are the only players who i think could get in that French team.

I also think they have the better coaching team.
    France will dominate at scrum (thankfully weather forecast is for a dry night) and can see them scoring 3 or 4 tries.
    Dupont could even grab a couple himself. He looked in great form last week and i think Ireland will struggle to stop his line breaks and contain him when he runs those support lines.

Struggle to see where Ireland are going to score tries unless they can get some penalties and secure some good lineout ball for rucks and strike plays.
    30v14

Scrums for sure are a worry, but I think we're being a little underestimated for our potential to play in an open game.
    Farrell is clearly trying to nurture a less shackled approach than we had with Joe. I just feel that jumping to a conclusion of France getting the better of us in that style of game is premature.

Wales are not up to much at all at the moment, hence I'm reluctant to read too much into their game last week.

French teams more often than not don't like it being put up to them, and I think that's what we'll do.

Not hard for me to picture a scenario where we get slow motion replays of French players shrugging their shoulders as we dot down for our 4th try. ;)

Edit: didn't completely answer your question... I expect the manner in which we'll "put it up to them" won't necessarily be through winning the collisions, but more with some surprise plays with grubber and chips and variations in restarts/lineouts.
    Almost barbarian-like!

(hoping for too much? :))

Niallof9 wrote: »
    We can win tomorrow i don't think that's in question. Can we win with the bonus point? unlikely.

A loss tomorrow, however, won't be a great start for Farrell and his honeymoon period will be most likely over and he will start coming under pressure. win and he gets a good run of it.

i'm not feeling too positive now about the immediate future, given the injuries and inexperience and the pending age related downturns of a good chunk of the squad. winning the championship as great as it will be is just delaying the inevitable rebuild needed in key positions.

What honeymoon period? after the World Cup before a ball was even kicked you had people calling for his head because he was part of the old regime. After the Scotland game again more calls for it. Then a bit of reprieve after Wales, but that didn't last too long and after the England game again you had more people calling for his head.

I don't think the current coaching ticket have got any honeymoon period. They said at the start of the 6 nations last season they would go with the current squad and current captain(Sexton), see how the season goes and after Australia tour decide what the plan was. They have not had the chance to do that because of Covid but you can be damn sure if they do lose people will be calling for him to be fired, if they do win but lose on points you will have people calling for his head. Unless they win the 6 nations then he will finally get a honeymoon period.

Think I am mad, just look at the post above complaining because he picked a "Joe Schmidt" team. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,143 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The "autumn nations cup" is a complete honeymoon period....
    its a nothing tournament completely ideal to blood new players and see how they perform at test level.
    The team that takes to the field in the Aviva in 2 weeks time will be quite different to the team that starts tomorrow.
    Its the perfect tournament to experiment and build experience.... in those positions where the age profile and depth chart is not great.

to say Andy Farrell will only start coming under pressure if we lose tomorrow is just silly......... taking the improvement of france in the last 12 months and the injury / missing list that ireland have. Hell, even if england beat Italy by 70 pints and the french have nothing really to play for, i still can see it being an incredibly hard physical tight game.

Farrell has been under pressure before he took the job, with the usual doom mongers complaining that he was part of the old guard of Joes tenure and sure nothing is going to change. We have done incredibly well to be where we are with one game left... and if we lose tomorrow its nowhere near a crisis or something for Farrell to panic over. We are developing our game, but we will not have it in anyway as easy against a shaun edwards coached french defense, as we had it against Italy. We are at risk in broken play and no better team in this competition than france to exploit a fragmented defense.

i think France will win by about 10-12. I think their discipline will be much improved on last week, and i think they will win the up front arm wrestle. we will try to play around them but the pressure they will put us under will lead to handling mistakes out wide. i dont think it will be as high scoring as some might think, as defenses will be tighter. I think england will put 50 on italy and win by about 40 points... and i think we will go down about 28 - 17 or something similar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement