Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing Gun to Range

Options
  • 28-10-2020 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I've yet to obtain a license or a firearm but I am questioning how I can get my gun to the range. I'm not sure how many face this problem but I live in Dublin and don't own a car and getting someone to drive me wouldn't be possible. Is public transport safe? Is it also easy to conceal a rifle? I'm worried about going on public transport carrying a rifle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

TrimeTime wrote: »
    I've yet to obtain a license or a firearm but I am questioning how I can get my gun to the range. I'm not sure how many face this problem but I live in Dublin and don't own a car and getting someone to drive me wouldn't be possible. Is public transport safe? Is it also easy to conceal a rifle? I'm worried about going on public transport carrying a rifle.

You cannot legally "conceal" a firearm or Ammunition on your person

SI 420 may also quite possibly make it not legal to transport a firearm in the way you describe
    Guitar case would be the best option to carry in plain view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You will also be required to have your ammo seperate from the firearm and the ammo in a seperate locked box.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Unfortunately none of the ranges in Dublin, that I know of have public transport going to them. You really need to drive or get someone to drive you or get a taxi.

You could store the gun at the range. Most ranges have this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TrimeTime

Ah thank you all! So I'll try join a club with storage facilities in that case. Really appreciate it!

Unfortunately none of the ranges in Dublin, that I know of have public transport going to them. You really need to drive or get someone to drive you or get a taxi.

Is it legal to have my gun on a grounds I don't own overnight or for a couple days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

A rifle is required to be stored in a safe when not in use.
    If you google the legal requirements for transporting and storing of a firearm it is all explained.
    You will also have to have a safe BS complyant where you intend to keep it normally.

A rifle is required to be stored in a safe when not in use.
    If you google the legal requirements for transporting and storing of a firearm it is all explained.
    You will also have to have a safe BS complyant where you intend to keep it normally.

I'm aware of the safes to be stored in and the checks Gardaí do but I'm wondering if the gun can be kept at the range for the majority of the time unless brought back to clean or for Gardaí to inspect(if scheduled call). Not sure if that is legal.

EDIT: I plan on keeping it in club ground locker facilities. If club has them like a user mentioned. Just confirming it can be kept in clubs for long durations legally.
    EDIT: Reason behind that is my only way of getting rifle to range on regular basis is public transport which is illegal, so I'd rather keep it there for use which would only be at range.

Yes you can store it at the range long-term.

Just tick the box on the application saying it'll be stored somewhere other than your home address and put down the name of the range.

There's usually a small charge each year for storage.

I would like a more knowledgeable member to confirm, but you may not need a license for the firearm if you store it at the range and only shoot it at that authorised range and do not remove it from the range.

Yes you can store it at the range long-term.

Just tick the box on the application saying it'll be stored somewhere other than your home address and put down the name of the range.

There's usually a small charge each year for storage.

I would like a more knowledgeable member to confirm, but you may not need a license for the firearm if you store it at the range and only shoot it at that authorised range and do not remove it from the range.

I would like the ability to remove it and change location if I switch club which I would plan on doing to a closer one, is that an issue if I put a storage location on a club? I'm assuming I'd need a license if I wanted to do that and since I want my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Are there any ranges left in Dublin at all ? There used to be a clay club in the Strawberry beds, The Eagles and Ballinteer rifle club moved out years ago, fassaroe ditto.

• Advertisement

tudderone wrote: »
    Are there any ranges left in Dublin at all ? There used to be a clay club in the Strawberry beds, The Eagles and Ballinteer rifle club moved out years ago, fassaroe ditto.

I have Courtlough, that's what I'm looking at. That and BRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If it was me I would contact the ranges local to me and see if any of them have club guns ( if they have any the club will have them licensed ) so if you are accepted to joined that range you will have access to their firearms, and you don't need to be licensed to use them on the range. When I'm talking firearms here I'm talking about unrestricted firearms.

If you own a firearm you have to have a license for it, no matter where you store it.

If you know anyone who is a member of a range ask them to organize for you to visit that range with him/her.

In relation to cleaning a firearm , clean it at the range prior to storage, no need to be thinking of taking it home if you cant transport.

What firearm are you looking to shoot shotgun, rifle , pistol ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

FYI, there’s a bus stop about 3/4km from Courtlough on the main road down the hill.

Balheary is a very good place aswell to shoot. Friendly staff an members.

You can always change the location you store the firearm by just submitting an amendment to Gardaí.

I advise, once restrictions are lifted go to all of the clubs, assess the facilities and pricing and pick which club caters best for you. Then start shooting and thinking about a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

You're definitely doing the correct thing by asking questions here first. Then follow "The pigeon man"'s of "I advise, once restrictions are lifted go to all of the clubs, assess the facilities and pricing and pick which club caters best for you. Then start shooting and thinking about a gun."

Obviously accessibility and gun storage are large factors for you. You may find that if public transport only gets you so far - a club member or two may pass that spot on their way and can pick you up (at least that goes for pre-COVID days anyway). You may also find that you are perfectly happy to use the club guns and that will get you shooting for a good while until you decide exactly what you're doing and what gun you'd like to get. You may also likely be on a probation period with the club when you first join and will have to wait for full acceptance to be a member. Since you'll need club membership as a reason for obtaining a licence for a firearm, this will give you a period of time anyway to get settled in, figure out how you'll manage things in the long run, etc.

Use this time to decide what type of shooting you want to do and what specifications a particular firearm needs to have in order to satisfy competition rules, eg: maximum weight, trigger pull weight, etc. Do you want to shoot target rifle (think Olympics), silhouettes, bench rest, sporting rifle, gallery, pistol? You may find you have an idea in your head now that you'd like to do one type of shooting but after a while visiting a club you have your eyes opened to something you hadn't really given more than a passing thought. One thing's for sure - you'll probably be greeted enthusiastically at any club you visit as everybody wants to encourage new people into the sport so don't be afraid to make some phone calls, talk to clubs and arrange visits and ask questions to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As far as I know Courtlough offer gun storage for a fee. You can technically own the firearm and use it on a authorised range without having a gun licence, but this would not allow you to possess it outside of the range.
    This would solve your transport and storage issues .

Remember, as you know, if you do apply for a gun license using 'targeting shooting on a authorized range' you will not be allowed use it for hunting. So use your time to try and obtain suitable land permission.

I would advise you maybe to go down the shotgun route, plenty of cheap guns around. Join a clay shooting club and then look at a Game Club. Contact the NARGC for info on gun clubs around north county Dublin. This can help you break into various aspects of hunting. You'll meet like minded people.

On another point based on your other post, it's all well lads telling to fire away, excuse the pun and get what you want etc etc but you'll need to understand the logistics of hunting let alone deer hunting. But let's just focus on deer hunting after the financial layout (as much as you are willing to pay) for rifle, scope, sling (possible moderator , bipod) binos, knife, suitable clothing / foot war and as much other boys and pieces that make the experience comfortable or assist you, there is the necessity for transport, storage, preparation area and long term storage etc etc. If going on your own you need to tackle some of these logistic needs before hand, if joining up with some one then they may be able to facilitate you as you build your resources and knowledge.

I just want to thank everyone for responding and helping me out, I really appreciate it!
    Remember, as you know, if you do apply for a gun license using 'targeting shooting on a authorized range' you will not be allowed use it for hunting. So use your time to try and obtain suitable land permission.

Would I be able to amend my firearm license to include hunting when/if it is possible with land permission assuming I already had one only for target shooting?

I just want to thank everyone for responding and helping me out, I really appreciate it!

Would I be able to amend my firearm license to include hunting when/if it is possible with land permission assuming I already had one only for target shooting?

Do it all in one go far simplier :pac:

Do it all in one go far simplier :pac:

Well said. I've a relative who owns acres so I'll just do that. In relation to storage would it be possible if I had a gun which storage is said to be the range but it is mine and I have a license for it is it possible I could take it out of range for hunting purposes such as a hunting excursion of sorts? Not sure if the storage is set to the range it can't leave the range.

Well said. I've a relative who owns acres so I'll just do that. In relation to storage would it be possible if I had a gun which storage is said to be the range but it is mine and I have a license for it is it possible I could take it out of range for hunting purposes such as a hunting excursion of sorts? Not sure if the storage is set to the range it can't leave the range.

Explain your situation in a letter with the application ,Yes you should be able to take it from the range but you would have to return it the same day

• Advertisement

Explain your situation in a letter with the application ,Yes you should be able to take it from the range but you would have to return it the same day

Grand. If that's the case I won't bother actually hunting until I have a means of transport. I'll get it allowed for hunting but amend storage location when I have a car. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

As far as I know Courtlough offer gun storage for a fee.

I would advise you maybe to go down the shotgun route, plenty of cheap guns around.

As far as I know Courtlough will also allow you to hire a gun to see what it is like.

You can hire a .22 rifle and fire it on their .22 target range.

You can also hire a shotgun there and use it to shoot clays in various disciplines.

Obviously, someone there will accompany you....they will be very experienced and knowledgeable and give you some valuable advice and information.

It will give you a real taste of what rifle target shooting and clay pigeon shooting is like.

The 191 Balbriggan Express bus will bring you to Courtlough from the Custom House

530938.PNG

https://www.balbriggan.info/balbriggan-express-191-bus-timetable/

https://courtlough.ie/shooting-grounds/

Well said. I've a relative who owns acres so I'll just do that. ....

With out giving too much detail, what sort of land does your relative have? County and roughly the town land and what type of acreage? You may already be set up for your application.
    Home storage may not be as problematic as you may think. I think your lack if transport is your issue.

Take the previous advice and give shooting a go before dropping a heap of cash and more so I suggest you get out hunting, and somehow, get blood on your hands. Theres more than one or two people who have bought into the whole hunting gig to discover that taking a life or that messy side of it is not their thing. Plenty of firearms come up here for sale due to lack of use.

With out giving too much detail, what sort of land does your relative have? County and roughly the town land and what type of acreage? You may already be set up for your application.
    Home storage may not be as problematic as you may think. I think your lack if transport is your issue.

Well, unfortunately, it is in Limerick, Clare and Tipperary and I live in Dublin but afaik it is a lot of land. It's in the country and I'd say it is quite spread out however. I'm not sure how much land but in total somewhere around 150-200 acres of what I'd say is developmental land for properties.

Also in relation to home storage. My problem mainly resides in parents not 100% about having a firearm in the house, as I said, no one in my family has ever owned a gun. That and transportation is awkward.

If the land is zone for development then it's highly unlikely you'll be able to use it for land permission.

I think over all you'd be better off looking at paying for day shooting with various ranges that offer that experince, mix and match rifle and shot gun. Encourage one or more of your parents along so they can see the reality of it all and not have any misconceptions.

There are lads on here that were younger than you starting out into the world of shooting with no family connections but slight differences in thier circumstances to yours can make a big difference, ie land permission suitable for hunting and close to home, available transport etc, little things that make a big difference.

If the land is zone for development then it's highly unlikely you'll be able to use it for land permission.

I think over all you'd be better off looking at paying for day shooting with various ranges that offer that experince, mix and match rifle and shot gun. Encourage one or more of your parents along so they can see the reality of it all and not have any misconceptions.

There are lads on here that were younger than you starting out into the world of shooting with no family connections but slight differences in thier circumstances to yours can make a big difference, ie land permission suitable for hunting and close to home, available transport etc, little things that make a big difference.

That is unfortunate but makes sense. Well I'm okay with just learning how to use a gun since hunting is down the line anyways. I plan on getting a car and with a car life would be so much easier. Solves transport problem and that is what I was planning, bringing them to range to give them a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Balheary is a very good place aswell to shoot.

Do Balheary have all disciplines, or just shotgun?

I'm familiar with Courtlough - it does have a good selection of facilities including a shop, members storage facilities, and it caters for shotgun, riffle and pistol. Granted, it may not be the cheapest, but the facilties are good imho.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wadi14 wrote: »
    If you own a firearm you have to have a license for it, no matter where you store it.
    The exception being a range.

If you buy a gun and have it stored on a range you are a member off, you need no license. The range is covered under section 2(4)(d) to allow people to shoot firearms for the purpose of competition or practice.

This obviously means you cannot take the firearm off the range grounds/premises, but it'll save the OP money and cut out the worry of how to store it at home, and how to get it to/from the range on public transport, etc.

He could still license it, an i would recommend a license even if storing ont he range, but its an option.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

garrettod wrote: »
    Do Balheary have all disciplines, or just shotgun?
    This has not been updated in a while but here is a list of ranges around the country (the link is Dublin specific) including as many details as i could gather about them.

|
    Balheary Shooting club
    |
    Location | Balheary, Swords, Co. Dublin |
    GPS Co-Ordinates | Latitude : 53.483137, Longitude : -6.236762 |
    Website | www.balhearyshooting.com |
    Contact Nos. | 01-8078814 (Johnny, Aidan or Austin) |
    Contact E-mail(s) | balhearyshooting@gmail.com |
    First Yr Fee | €150 |
    Annual Fee | €150 |
    Student / OAP | Unknown |
    Mature Students | Unknown |
    Disciplines | 50m Rimfire, Pistol, Clays (Sporting Clays, Skeet – National Skeet – International Skeet, Compact Sporting (Close Quarter Shooting), High Tower (120 foot/36.5m), DTL) |
    Facilities | Clubhouse, RFD, Gun room & ammo store, Refreshments |
    Opening Hours | Wednesday - Sunday 9:30am-last light |
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    The exception being a range.

If you buy a gun and have it stored on a range you are a member off, you need no license. The range is covered under section 2(4)(d) to allow people to shoot firearms for the purpose of competition or practice.

This obviously means you cannot take the firearm off the range grounds/premises, but it'll save the OP money and cut out the worry of how to store it at home, and how to get it to/from the range on public transport, etc.

He could still license it, an i would recommend a license even if storing ont he range, but its an option.

Ohh youve tempted me there ive been looking at a single shot 22 thats been sat in a dealers for a few years i pick up everytime i go in , i couldnt justify the licence fee but itd be a lovely club gun :D

Advertisement