Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh its definitely still interesting in general, I just mean that there's no good north-south comparison to be made during this particular week, or any week we have differing restrictions in place.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Twould be interesting if I had older data. My bad :(

As for Morning/afternoon/evening usage, I guess I have all the data, but not in buckets like that. Not sure if I can do it with my current data, or whether i'd have to parse my data into said buckets.

I can easily show you the history of an individual site, but not, afaik, a "busiest period" heatmap. This I feel would be useful, like cpinfo used to have. ESB poorly give this information, but without reference as to how busy a bucket is in terms of quantifiable units. Ideally i'd store information in dimensions of days and hours. Answer the question of "on a Monday between 11am and 12pm, how available has that site been historically". I'm not there yet though, i'm trying to put any free time into re architecting it in the cloud.

Looks great, this is really good data for judging which fast chargers are getting more use, so we can all complain to the ESB about where they're putting chargers :D

We should totally bring some of this to IEVOA for their next meeting with ESB

Interesting idea. They no doubt have this data themselves. You'd only hope they're competent enough to use it to guide their rollout.

Blanchardstown and Lucan were always busy units. It would have been nice if I had data on some of our "hubs" before they became hubs, to see how justified they are. Should be setup to see that now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭innrain

Interesting that one of the biggest users was in Blanchardstown considering that it's a paid charger and free parking.

Stillorgan is paid charger + paid parking (2 quid min) and is not far behind Blanch

Blanch averages at 8h/day ? => 2800h/year (rounded from 2848)
    @40kWh average and 30c /kWh that makes €33,600 /year let's round that to €30k?

I probably gave away 5k but still a decent figure.

innrain wrote: »
    Stillorgan is paid charger + paid parking (2 quid min) and is not far behind Blanch

Interesting to put an estimated annual income from a site. It's more difficult when the add multiple units per site (as i'm only capturing when the overall site, per charge port, is available,charging, faulty etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They certainly couldn't claim those ones aren't making money. A few of the others look like dubious locations but they're probably the ones in need of subsidies most, since no private charging company would touch areas they won't make money

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

They certainly couldn't claim those ones aren't making money. A few of the others look like dubious locations but they're probably the ones in need of subsidies most, since no private charging company would touch areas they won't make money

Spot on. I know a few of those lesser used ones down at the bottom - specifically Mellon Country Inn (outside Omagh so would be free to use) and Daly's Circle K in Lifford. Both of them are Chademo only, which I'd say is a bigger issue nowadays.

I can see why they were located in these areas though given they're to faciliate long distance travel.

Spot on. I know a few of those lesser used ones down at the bottom - specifically Mellon Country Inn (outside Omagh so would be free to use) and Daly's Circle K in Lifford. Both of them are Chademo only, which I'd say is a bigger issue nowadays.

I can see why they were located in these areas though given they're to faciliate long distance travel.

That's crazy that they're Chademo-only! I did Donegal to Dublin a few months ago and there was a real lack of CCS fast chargers on that route compared to taking the long way via Belfast.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's crazy that they're Chademo-only! I did Donegal to Dublin a few months ago and there was a real lack of CCS fast chargers on that route compared to taking the long way via Belfast.

Absolutely - I could only do it because my i3 was a REX.

Those are really old units and they are free anyway. You can't quantify the need to use for a free service.
    In Dublin the least used one is the one at the Port, where there is a "hub" :)
    And this is the middle of a level 3 when there is not much travel anyway. Probably the reason for Dublin chargers being so high up in usage compared to the rest of the country. Dublin ones are used mostly by locals unlike the ones on the motorways.
    My point in estimating the revenue is going back to the private ownership. One appliance paying for itself in a year is not a bad investment.

• Advertisement

Those are really old units and they are free anyway. You can't quantify the need to use for a free service.
    In Dublin the least used one is the one at the Port, where there is a "hub" :)
    And this is the middle of a level 3 when there is not much travel anyway. Probably the reason for Dublin chargers being so high up in usage compared to the rest of the country. Dublin ones are used mostly by locals unlike the ones on the motorways.
    My point in estimating the revenue is going back to the private ownership. One appliance paying for itself in a year is not a bad investment.

I don't know what you're referring to here, but specifically I'm just saying that it's crazy that the Dublin to Donegal route has two ESB fast chargers in very useful positions, but they're Chademo-only.

This leaves a significant gap in that route (Chademo vs CCS):
    530317.jpg

Sorry I was confusing. The two chargers above mentioned are in NI. The fate of those chargers is in a big limbo as there is no support from NI officials for fees introduction.

Sorry I was confusing. The two chargers above mentioned are in NI. The fate of those chargers is in a big limbo as there is no support from NI officials for fees introduction.

One of them is in Northern Ireland and the other is in Donegal! (so one is free and the other is chargeable) You have to go through Northern Ireland to get to Dublin from Donegal, which was the point of putting the rapid chargers in these locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

One of them is in Northern Ireland and the other is in Donegal! (so one is free and the other is chargeable) You have to go through Northern Ireland to get to Dublin from Donegal, which was the point of putting the rapid chargers in these locations.

Not for long more if AF and Blow Jo have their way

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Sorry my bad. There was a discussion earlier in the week about the old CHAdeMO only chargers and the consensus was that there is no one left in the Republic. So it seems you found it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Reveal time. The last 6 days (because my 7th day ago had a bit of a glitch in it) is shows the following. I've not checked to see if any unit was not used at all, but of the 97 fast charger sites 92 were used at some point 37 were "faulted" or "unavailable" at some point 52 (which includes faulted/unavailable) were in a "I'm less than 100% sure that i'm going to be able to use that charger when I pull up" state.
    So 97 fast chargers?
    Is that RoI only or the whole island?
    How many of it are CCS?

McGiver wrote: »
    So 97 fast chargers?
    Is that RoI only or the whole island?
    How many of it are CCS?

97 sites with fast charge points, rather than 97 fast charge points. For instance Galway plaza is 1 site, but it has 2 fast charge points.

All my data is for the whole of Ireland. There's no RoI or NI only search.

2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY 85.00
    2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_4_CHADEMO 97.00
    2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_2_TETHERED 76.00
    2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_2_MENNEKES 498.00

I have a separate query which iterates through each charge point 1 by 1 and as it does I count the number of units. That tells me there's 114 fast charge points. I don't think there are any CCS only fast charge points, so that would lead me to believe there are 17 sites with 2 fast charge points at them. Anecdotally that seems wrong.

EDIT: Just checked, only 5 sites with 2 fast units at them. Portlaoise, Galway, Kilcullen, Park Ri, Dublin port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY 85.00

2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_4_CHADEMO 97.00
    2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_2_TETHERED 76.00 2020-10-17 21:57:43 TYPE_2_MENNEKES 498.00
    That's 85 CCS units, my dear lord... Worse than I thought. Up from 67 or so 18 months ago.

McGiver wrote: »
    That's 85 CCS units, my dear lord... Worse than I thought. Up from 67 or so 18 months ago.

Waterford, Cavan, clonmel, Dundalk and 5 "hubs". Those are the ones I can remember being added. 14 of the 22 units. Bad when you can rattle ecars productivity off the top of your head.

AC43 at Dublin Port has been reserved for the past week. Surprised no one else noticed:

image.png

https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?53.3538560,-6.2127470,12z,C5M9S,1110st,1866sk

Still a 22kW untethered unit available there, but wonder what ECars are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Reserved? Fook that noise, if I get there and it's not in use I should be able to charge?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Reserved? Fook that noise, if I get there and it's not in use I should be able to charge?

Reserved for nearly 7 days now (and not been used in that time). Think someone testing reservation features in Ecars forgot to release it. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So had to bring the auld lad to Galway for a medical appointment, had enough to get there and back but to be safe said I'd drop via the Galway Plaza.
    Tried on the way into and out of Galway, would connect for 15-18seconds then disconnect, tried ringing eCars and both times when it came my turn to speak to someone the call hung up.
    Normal 50 charge point was occupied so I just took the speed down and drove home.

Said it before and I'll say it again, after 3.5years of using the eCars infrastructure, it is TOTALLY UNDEPENDABLE.
    My statement remains the same, EVs are perfect second cars but do not get one if you totally depend on public charging.

eCars remain a joke, just checked and the unit is still available to use despite being broken (well CCS side anyhow)...

EDIT, now I'm home I rang them again and they said there are server issues as they are working from home and calls are getting disconnected all morning.
    They also said did I know how to charge as they said I cancelled the charges, which I can tell you I did not.
    Anyhow, they reckon it's working but can't guarantee it's working, honestly:rolleyes:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Yes, if you're not using the Tesla network, it's not viable at the moment to have an EV as your only car.
    Unless you never exceed the range of your car any day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, if you're not using the Tesla network, it's not viable at the moment to have an EV as your only car.

100%, I've used all the Tesla superchargers in Ireland and a load in Scotland and they have all been perfect, just reverse in and hook up, no waiting, no cards, proper way to do things

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

slave1 wrote: »
    So had to bring the auld lad to Galway for a medical appointment, had enough to get there and back but to be safe said I'd drop via the Galway Plaza.
    Tried on the way into and out of Galway, would connect for 15-18seconds then disconnect, tried ringing eCars and both times when it came my turn to speak to someone the call hung up.
    Normal 50 charge point was occupied so I just took the speed down and drove home.

Said it before and I'll say it again, after 3.5years of using the eCars infrastructure, it is TOTALLY UNDEPENDABLE.
    My statement remains the same, EVs are perfect second cars but do not get one if you totally depend on public charging.

eCars remain a joke, just checked and the unit is still available to use despite being broken (well CCS side anyhow)...

EDIT, now I'm home I rang them again and they said there are server issues as they are working from home and calls are getting disconnected all morning.
    They also said did I know how to charge as they said I cancelled the charges, which I can tell you I did not.
    Anyhow, they reckon it's working but can't guarantee it's working, honestly:rolleyes:

Agree 100%. Ev charging network is totally undependable.
    My wife has a merc b250e using ac charging. Here in limerick charge points are either out of service or erratic power coming through. Someday 4 hours provides full charge 28kw or more often only 15kw. This equates to difference of 95km range or 200km range.
    Battery is fine because gets full charge overnight in local Mercedes garage.
    Ecars disputed this could happen until I showed screenshot from ecars charge history.
    Eamon Ryan " very interested in this matter ". Haven't heard from him in over a month.
    Typical Irish situation.

Hint: that's most people.

Hint: that's most people.
    Never in the binary sense? As opposed to the common vernacular of never (meaning almost never).

If you look back the past 3 years (typical ownership length) how many times do you exceed the range of your car. If the answer is truly 0 then yes the EV works

In the common sense — in other words, most people won't come anywhere near exceeding an EV range in any average day.

I'd also say there are few long-distance routes you could drive in Ireland that you wouldn't have multiple charging options along. I'm not arguing that the current state is anywhere near great, but it's definitely in a viable state for most people.

My extended family all live near Belfast or in Donegal, I live in South County Dublin. We had zero hesitation about an i3 being our only car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

yeah what an absolute sh1tshow!!!

Them working from home is no excuse for them not being able to resolve issues because you can't even get talking to them!!!!

We are trying (well, I am at least) to extoll the virtues of driving an EV, but it gets kinda hard when you hear of sh1t like this happening....

Now only we on Boards know about this issue (because Slave1 reported it here), and probably 95% of current EV drivers won't even be aware of it, but a lot of folks are getting into an EV for the 1st time each & every week in Ireland, and will have to rely on this sh1tshow of a 'network', and unfortunately are going to learn the hard way that the network they'll need simply doesn't exist!!

The only thing that will save the EV industry in Ireland is the EV's themselves, once 400-500km (motorway) range cars become the norm.... I'd say that's the horse eCars are backing in this race..

Advertisement