Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not free
    Chris Kelly confirmed from easygo on facebook that the charges are accumulating and will be billed shortly.

so they are back dating from august?
    GL with that with no card on system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It's not free
    Chris Kelly confirmed from easygo on facebook that the charges are accumulating and will be billed shortly.

How could they justify indicating charging as "free".........but retrospectively charge? They can't do that............:eek:.

They'd be sued into oblivion & the adverse PR would destroy them................Joe Duffy would be on the case :pac:.

It's their own fault if they ballsed up their own app, showed no fee for charging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw him comment that a while ago. Funny as I searched the IEVOA facebook group now and cant find the post. Wonder if he dirty deleted?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Wouldn't be the only operator to bill after the fact, Maingau operate the same model.

Plugsurfing are the same, you can get bills weeks or more after using.

• Advertisement

Plugsurfing are the same, you can get bills weeks or more after using.

if they are displaying a price then of course. easygo had free of charge for the longest of time.
    today checked again still no price.

liamog wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the only operator to bill after the fact, Maingau operate the same model.

Maingau never indicated charging as "free" though, did they?

Billing retrospectively is fine, but not if you advertise the charging as "free". I know of someone who was about to charge at the ECars charger in Cashel, at €0.26/kWh, but went to the Ionity instead, after seeing it was free on the EasyGo app. He needed 20kWh but decided to fill up then, as it was free on Ionity.

That was months ago.

Do Easygo think they can now bill him for €0.79/kWh? It would probably be €40 as he filled up while he would have left after €5 on ECars.

That's mad Ted :eek:.

It's not "free" though, everyone knows that.
    Good luck arguing that one lol

It's not "free" though, everyone knows that.
    Good luck arguing that one lol

It was listed free of charge in September, there was no pricing advertised since. As the fob continues to activate, it's still free as there is notice of any change within their app.

The fact they mismanaged this is not esbs problem nor any user in availing of the service.

Again, good luck with that one. If they do (as they should) retroactively bill you for it, you'll have to take SCC proceedings. A judge would laugh you out of court "but I thought it was free your honor!"

• Advertisement

Again, good luck with that one. If they do (as they should) retroactively bill you for it, you'll have to take SCC proceedings. A judge would laugh you out of court "but I thought it was free your honor!"

No card on their app so no need SCC

I'd see it differently :pac:.

OuUADLA.jpg

Trying to retrospectively bill someone, 4 months later, for what was clearly indicated on their own app as being "free of charge", exactly is as shown for their free charging in Lidl, presumably Decathlon & outside council offices etc., wouldn't look too good.

I've no horse in the race, but I know a few who used it once or twice in July.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can you start a charge on Ionity with the EasyGo app though? especially someone like me who has no money in their EasyGo account?

Can you start a charge on Ionity with the EasyGo app though?

I presume so. Certainly can with the fob.

Imagine charging at a "free" Lidl charge point, or Decathlon, only to be billed 4 months later, as "it wasn't actually free"!!

Apologies for going off topic & hope they, Easygo, haven't lost too much because of their mistake, that they didn't fix, for months :eek:.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kramer wrote: »
    I presume so. Certainly can with the fob.

Imagine charging at a "free" Lidl charge point, or Decathlon, only to be billed 4 months later, as "it wasn't actually free"!!

Apologies for going off topic & hope they, Easygo, haven't lost too much because of their mistake, that they didn't fix, for months :eek:.

EasyGo "Free to charge" is as clear and understandable as their pricing structure.

"Free to charge, if you can get it to" is probably more accurate. Perhaps the fob works better than the app at initiating charge, but the app on ecars FCP doesn't work (unit says to swipe card when you do so).

The app used to work for me to start charges for free. Then I got billed for one so I stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Motoring

16,000 now registered to pay for public EV charge

The ESB is investing €20m to expand and improve the charging network

Eddie Cunningham
    November 04 2020 02:30 AM
    NEARLY 16,000 drivers of electric and plug-in vehicles are now registered to use the ESB ecars public charging network.

However, drivers are availing of the service less frequently, especially since fees to use standard chargers were introduced in August. As well as that more people are working from home and travelling less due to Covid-19 restrictions.

The ESB is investing €20m to expand and improve the charging network. Included will be hubs capable of charging between three to eight vehicles at the same time.

A new hub was recently opened at Park Rí service station, Kells just off the M3. This is in addition to recent installations at Kilcullen (M9), Portlaoise Plaza (M7/M8) and Galway Plaza (M6). Each site has a 50kW and 150kW charger and can take up to three cars simultaneously. There are more coming.

The ESB is also upgrading 50 standard (22kW AC) chargers to a new type of fast charger. These can deliver up to 44kW on CHAdeMO and CCS connectors, and between 2-6kW on the AC connector depending on the car type. The AC charger will be free for now at the new fast charging points but DC connectors will involve a fee.

So a hub is where 3 cars can charge, as long as one is CCS and other Chademo (not CCS) and a third CCS or Chademo or AC43, Easy as 1,2,6,43

More details in full article:

https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/16000-now-registered-to-pay-for-public-ev-charge-39703580.html

Not sure if it's a glitch/typo or not, but the new FCP in Mayo suggests 50kW DC and 22kW AC. Nice if true, as they've no 22kW AC in Ballina otherwise (other AC unit is 7kW). If it's true it'd be great if they could install that configuration rather than the 44kW/6kW ones we've seen.

https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?54.1156900,-9.1497150,9z,C7LU1,1876st

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

For anyone who signed up for the free introductory offer you are not included in the two month extension. Below is ecars reply. I shall be moving to pay as you go.

Thanks for getting in touch.

The two month extension we announced back in May applies to all customers who have signed up to pay a €5 monthly subscription charge as part of their Membership price plan on or before May 7th. The customers registered for the Introductory offer are not included in this extension.

I agree that if you don't use the public network very often, Pay As You Go would be the best plan for you. If you decide to change to a different price plan, please contact my colleagues on 01 258 3799, they will be happy to process this for you. The line is open 24/7.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Anna

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    For anyone who signed up for the free introductory offer you are not included in the two month extension. Below is ecars reply. I shall be moving to pay as you go.

More ECars foolishness :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

I emailed ecars and this is what they sent me back about the PAYG options

The pay as you go account is a prepay account and needs to be topped up with credit for usage.

The other option would be to close your account altogether as there is also a one-time payment option to charge your EV via our app ecar connect.

With the one-time payment option, a driver would input their credit card details into the app every time they want to charge the EV.

I have two accounts so I will leave one as is and try the PAYG by inputting payment details the next time

I can swap you over to a pay as you go account but there is an initial top up of €20 required when swapping to pay as you go.

loopymum wrote: »
    I can swap you over to a pay as you go account but there is an initial top up of €20 required when swapping to pay as you go.[/COLOR]

€20 x 16,000 members = a handy €320,000 boost that should pay for a good few useless Tesco installs :rolleyes:.

In fairness, looking at usage on charge points near me, that €320,000 would likely be more than they will make from 100s of chargers/charge points, in a full year.

No, no, this needs Eamon's urgent attention................I shall twitter at him now :D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Looks like I'll have to give them a call then before they charge me for it. Not that I've used it much... Or that we are going anywhere that's not in our range - but that's more of a symptom of 2020.

loopymum wrote: »
    I emailed ecars and this is what they sent me back about the PAYG options

[COLOR="Red"

The other option would be to close your account altogether as there is also a one-time payment option to charge your EV via our app ecar connect.

With the one-time payment option, a driver would input their credit card details into the app every time they want to charge the EV.
    [/COLOR]

Really? I didn't know this. Is there any additional fee involved in going this route? I use Ecars units almost never, so inputting CC details wouldn't bother me much. Their app is at least more reliable than their card readers too. Seems like a win win.

I'll probably just give them the 20 quid for the convenience of keeping the account and the card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    The line is open 24/7.

5 minutes 40 seconds later the operator says he is unable to change my account as it is 'technical' and to call back during office hours, so only 24/7 for a chat not for support. They said it would be able to be completed online when asked in the past...but they say a lot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Could you not just cancel the account, and then set up a brand new payg account? Yes it means a new password, and a new card to be sent out but surely it would save all the hassle people seem to be encountering...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Could you not just cancel the account, and then set up a brand new payg account? Yes it means a new password, and a new card to be sent out but surely it would save all the hassle people seem to be encountering...

Wasn't much of a hassle for me, the only issue was when it said "please hold the line for all other queries" it just booted me back to the start.

Decided to go PAYG, not much choice really. I reckon it'll take about 3 years to use that amount of credit at my current rate.

When I get the ID.4 I'll hopefully be doing more road trips, but I'll likely use Ionity as much as possible so it might still be a struggle to get through €20

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So €20 at €0.305 per kWh gives 65.57kWh

Assuming 16kWh/100km that gives 409km of driving up use that up

I suppose that's pretty good value, but it's also a pain to use it up

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

So €20 at €0.305 per kWh gives 65.57kWh

Assuming 16kWh/100km that gives 409km of driving up use that up

I suppose that's pretty good value, but it's also a pain to use it up

Yeah. True. Would probably take me 3 years to use this much.

I just want a pay as you go without the bloody top up of 20 Euro.

Advertisement