Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    Most unused, I nominate:

C59B6
    Circle K -Topaz Service Station, Sexton Street North, Thomondgate, Limerick City.

I've seen it in use maybe twice, in the last few months :eek:.

Most used, I nominate:

Anywhere Kramer has visited with his dodgy low speed charging cables :D

I bet you thought we'd forgotten about that ;)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kramer wrote: »
    Most unused, I nominate:

C59B6
    Circle K -Topaz Service Station, Sexton Street North, Thomondgate, Limerick City.

I've seen it in use maybe twice, in the last few months :eek:.

It was used yesterday for ~50 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It was used yesterday for ~50 minutes

What can I say............mea culpa...........I was stuck.............:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Oh, also pulling AC43 usage too, for the 7 who used it today. :p

I'll do a big reveal next week on who fast charge point(s) were not used in 7 days, and what was the most used (NI obviously, but more interesting to see what paid fast charge point was most used).

Exciting!

most used, i'll go for Tesco Park Pointe Dun Laoghaire (i'm ignoring NI)

now, how does it work though - there's a triple head there and the 2 x22kW unit too. Are you aggregating for site or just looking at the individual fast charging units? i'm assuming that you're not counting 22kW as a fast charger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

98% fast charger availability. Thought that was 99% last time.

#progress

New fast charging options for Galway (clifden?), Mayo (?) and Kerry (Kenmare?). They'll be the slower end ones i'm sure. 40kW.

Galway (Connemara) and Kerry are woeful, they need some more FCP.
    Both good spots, decent sized high trafficked towns!

• Advertisement

Exciting!

most used, i'll go for Tesco Park Pointe Dun Laoghaire (i'm ignoring NI)

now, how does it work though - there's a triple head there and the 2 x22kW unit too. Are you aggregating for site or just looking at the individual fast charging units? i'm assuming that you're not counting 22kW as a fast charger :)

Good point. I'll double check. Are there examples of that I can check against? Basically each "balloon" point in the map which says 1 or 2 is what a site is. So I'd be looking for a balloon with 2 on it, and when you expand into it there a scp and fcp.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

Good point. I'll double check. Are there examples of that I can check against? Basically each "balloon" point in the map which says 1 or 2 is what a site is. So I'd be looking for a balloon with 2 on it, and when you expand into it there a scp and fcp.

yep, so 'Park Pointe Shopping Centre, Glenageary Road, Dun Laoghaire' is exactly that on the esb map - a balloon point with a 2 on it that expands to a SCP and a FCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Also, with my S, I always use Chademo at the 50kW point instead of ccs.

Why?

yep, so 'Park Pointe Shopping Centre, Glenageary Road, Dun Laoghaire' is exactly that on the esb map - a balloon point with a 2 on it that expands to a SCP and a FCP.

Forgot. I updated the code this morning. It queries for "TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY", "TYPE_4_CHADEMO", "TYPE_2_MENNEKES", "TYPE_2_TETHERED" all separately. So I can query based on the speed of the unit (speed seems to be defined by the fastest speed on site for your query) or the head type. eg. what CCS sites have been used today, what CCS sites exist, and diff the 2.

It does just mean that that site was or wasn't fully occupied. If there are 2 CCS ports on site, and 1 is in use, that site would be available to use. I don't have data on usage of individual units per site. It's possible, but it'd create a lot more calls to their endpoint. Don't wanna red flag myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

Then it's a hub :) Porlaoise, Galway Plazas, Kilcullen are the same.

Which are the best candidates for the most used units cause are free

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    Then it's a hub :) Porlaoise, Galway Plazas, Kilcullen are the same.

Which are the best candidates for the most used units cause are free

But those sites have redundancy, so would be more likely to be available. Higher chance of a unit being in use, but less chance of the site being in full use.

Eg. Portlaoise has only been in full use for 30 minutes today. From what I can see Galway and Kilcullen have always been available. That's not to say no one has used them today, just that both units have not been in use at the same time today.

Hit a snag in my thinking. When I query by CCS or by CHAdeMO, it'll return back as CHARGING for both, implying both are being used. It kinda doubles my usage stats on those units. It's a common fault, so "highest usage" will still be true, but it doesn't help gather stats on whether CCS or CHAdeMO is most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Why?
    1- Chademo curve is better than the CCS curve
    2- If I'm on CCS and someone connects the chademo plug it may end my session, but the reverse is not true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

2- If I'm on CCS and someone connects the chademo plug it may end my session, but the reverse is not true

I think it was stated that the reverse actually is true too.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think it was stated that the reverse actually is true too.
    It was, but I've never seen it, where I've seen the former a lot.

Also, the additional length of the chademo adapter makes reaching the cable easier if I have to park in the "wrong" bay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ESB just confirmed via Facebook that only 3 cars can charge simultaneously at a ‘hub’ where there’s a 150kW & a 50kW Triple head Unit.....

So that means if someone is using the CCS or Chademo on the Triple head, the AC43 can no longer be used.....

I wonder is this just at the ‘hubs’, or does it apply to all the 50kW triple heads now......

...and does anyone actually believe ESB on this??

529430.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

I checked the kml someone posted here and there was 67 CCS entries there. Was that the state of play as of May 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

ESB just confirmed via Facebook that only 3 cars can charge simultaneously at a ‘hub’ where there’s a 150kW & a 50kW Triple head Unit.....

They don't know what they're doing.
    Means that the AC43 is either useless and will never be used or worse it will be used but then will block one of the 75 kW CCS/Chademo connectors due to no parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Seriously, on the ESB slow chargers? (50kW) The one is actually materially better than the other in a charge from say 20% to 80%?

Genuine question, I have no idea. Plan never to use any of these chargers ever again if I can help it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

McGiver wrote:
    Is it what I think? Basically zero. If we don't count the 3 new 150 kW additions....

Also for at least on of the 150kWs they removed a 50kW which has only been there a few months

• Advertisement

Was going to head into town and sip on some juice, but no. Car occupying the charger but not charging. Just plugged in. The freeloaders have adapted.

51 South Mall, Cork City, Cork
    https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?51.8962980,-8.4733260,14z,C84X5,1272st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Was going to head into town and sip on some juice, but no. Car occupying the charger but not charging. Just plugged in. The freeloaders have adapted.

51 South Mall, Cork City, Cork
    https://myaccount.esbecars.com/findCharger?51.8962980,-8.4733260,14z,C84X5,1272st

It's probable that you're right. However, I plugged in to a charge point in Wexford last week and started a charge from the app. All looked OK so I went about my business. When I returned to the car over an hour later, it wasn't charging. Checking the app told me that the point I was plugged in to was available, and that I had taken just a couple of hundred Watts of charge.

When I unplugged, the socket went out of service. Now, if you came along looking for a charge, you might have been cursing me, but I had done nothing wrong. I just put it down to a flaky socket, as there was a Volvo PHEV working away on the other socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

Also for at least on of the 150kWs they removed a 50kW which has only been there a few months

Portlaoise 150 kW is limited to 50kW. Then you have "load balancing" at lots of sites. As soon as type2 is connected DC is halved. It does not matter if the power drawn on the AC side is 3kW. The charger is available but is not rapid anymore. (Maybe for some hybrids 25Kw sounds high)
    I have started seeing queues at rapids, queues which disappeared from last November. However, now with introduction of charges at standards more and more people are using the rapids. It is probably related with the high uptake from the last months. 5126 new EV\s registered in the last 18 months. The €20M investment announced in the same time frame produced what? 4 sites where you have more than one charger? They've replaced 159 standard chargers but how many they've added? Beside the Tesco ones? How can they name this an accomplishment. That is maintenance not progress. Dublin 1 and 2 combined have 3 or 4 standard chargers and ecars pats themselves on the back for the good job.

[/rant]

Yes its a moronic shambles

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm so glad I don't have to rely on their network, but it's still so frustrating seeing how they're making such an ar$e of putting said network in.

They are getting away lightly this year because of Covid restricting so much movement for most of the year (whether enforced or voluntary), but if Covid didn't happen, the (lack of) pace and (lack of) scale of their rollout would be so much more noticeable..

All I see in the future is more rework, more upgrades to catch up to demand, all eating up more funds...

All the Tecso AC22's might see some early use for people who really need them, but it won't take long for folks to realise that there's cheaper and/or faster options out there.... (within a few years, they'll probably be replacing the Tesco AC's with DC units, when they realise that's where they can make a ton of money..)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm so glad I don't have to rely on their network, but it's still so frustrating seeing how they're making such an ar$e of putting said network in.

They are getting away lightly this year because of Covid restricting so much movement for most of the year (whether enforced or voluntary), but if Covid didn't happen, the (lack of) pace and (lack of) scale of their rollout would be so much more noticeable..

All I see in the future is more rework, more upgrades to catch up to demand, all eating up more funds...

All the Tecso AC22's might see some early use for people who really need them, but it won't take long for folks to realise that there's cheaper and/or faster options out there.... (within a few years, they'll probably be replacing the Tesco AC's with DC units, when they realise that's where they can make a ton of money..)

Yeah I really believe the funding would be better spent as grants or incentives for businesses to install chargers, so long as they meet certain standards.

The ESB should be focusing on building chargers in areas that aren't profitable but are needed for public utility, like rural towns centres, etc. That'd be better use of public money IMHO

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah I really believe the funding would be better spent as grants or incentives for businesses to install chargers, so long as they meet certain standards.

The ESB should be focusing on building chargers in areas that aren't profitable but are needed for public utility, like rural towns centres, etc. That'd be better use of public money IMHO

Or to petrol station owners to install multiple chargers.
    Thats what we need, hubs with 4+ chargers per site. Even if they are 50kW*3 and one hpc. This is what they have in norway. Sites with a few 50kW and one or two hpcs that are more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Does ecars apply the overstay fee EUR4.60 when the charging session is finished if it's over the 45 minute limit, or is that added separately at a later date?

Just finished a session that went for just under 51 minutes but no overstay fee appears on the invoice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Every month for the last 3 months I get a message from ecars saying that payment has failed and that I will no longer be able to use the network. Each time I ring tech support and they tell me to delete and re-enter my debit card for my account, and then the payment goes through. There's nothing wrong with my bank account and I use my debit card every day. I'm getting a bit cheesed off about this now - anyone else having this problem with them?

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »
    Does ecars apply the overstay fee EUR4.60 when the charging session is finished if it's over the 45 minute limit, or is that added separately at a later date?

Just finished a session that went for just under 51 minutes but no overstay fee appears on the invoice?
    It's usually added after, not straight away.
    For me when I paid it (1hr 20 mins.. ahem..) it took 15 mins to appear, where the charge used appeared straight away.

Advertisement