Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

New tv for series x

• 24-10-2020 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

What would be the best tv to buy for the new console ? I’m heating you’d probably want 120hz for the best experience for COD etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sony XH90 just got it's 120Hz upgrade and more HDMI 2.1 features on the way e.g. VRR. It's a FALD LCD, not super top of the range but upper-middle. I couldn't trust an OLED as a mainly gaming TV so I'm keeping an eye on this.

They're branding it as "ready for PS5" or some such.

Not sure of Irish prices but it's £999 for 55" over here - wish it had a 49"

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I'm waiting to see if the prices for the LG CX 65 inch fall around black Friday.

I'll probably be getting that or the 55 inch depending on the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

theteal wrote: »
    Sony XH90 just got it's 120Hz upgrade and more HDMI 2.1 features on the way e.g. VRR. It's a FALD LCD, not super top of the range but upper-middle. I couldn't trust an OLED as a mainly gaming TV so I'm keeping an eye on this.

They're branding it as "ready for PS5" or some such.

Not sure of Irish prices but it's £999 for 55" over here - wish it had a 49"

Cheers I was considering going For a big screen this around like a 65inch maybe but that would probably be too expensive. There’s not too many 120 hz on the market either

I'm waiting to see if the prices for the LG CX 65 inch fall around black Friday.

I'll probably be getting that or the 55 inch depending on the prices.

I’ve always had LG’s myself really like the brand, how much is that currently ?

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I’ve always had LG’s myself really like the brand, how much is that currently ?

€2549 at the moment for the 65 inch on richer sounds. €1549 for the 55 inch in the same shop.

Hoping the 65 comes down a bit more 😅

• Advertisement

€2549 at the moment for the 65 inch on richer sounds. €1549 for the 55 inch in the same shop.

Hoping the 65 comes down a bit more 😅

Is that tv not an OLED ? I was looking at an LG in Harvey Norman 65inch for 2k , it was an oled 120hz

The Sony Bravia xh90 seems like a good shout too , 1400 for 65 inch

Went for the Samsung Q70T myself. Cheaper than Oled screens which allowed me to go for a bigger size.

Is that tv not an OLED ? I was looking at an LG in Harvey Norman 65inch for 2k , it was an oled 120hz

Yeah both OLEDS. Might have been the BX rather than the CX in there? Sound is meant to be a bit better on the CX.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 luciddream

Richer sounds currently have the 65 inch for £1119. (€1230ish)

I ordered the 55 inch from those lads last week and can only echo the sentiments above. Fantastic TV for the price range.

Yeah both OLEDS. Might have been the BX rather than the CX in there? Sound is meant to be a bit better on the CX.

Ya maybe not really sure but the quality looked amazing on it

• Advertisement

luciddream wrote: »

I ordered the 55 inch from those lads last week and can only echo the sentiments above. Fantastic TV for the price range.

1230 for the Sony xh90 is it ? How long would delivery normally take though I wonder

Mr Grumble wrote: »
    Went for the Samsung Q70T myself. Cheaper than Oled screens which allowed me to go for a bigger size.

Ya that looks like a nice tv aswel , I think I’m going to go with the Sony at this stage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 44 luciddream

1230 for the Sony xh90 is it? How long would delivery normally take though I wonder

Yep for the XH90. I think they normally take 3-5 days for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

will go for the Sony, the 65 inch is 1450, was going to wait till the Black Friday sales, but I cannot see it going any lower in price than what it is now...........

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    will go for the Sony, the 65 inch is 1450, was going to wait till the Black Friday sales, but I cannot see it going any lower in price than what it is now...........

Same I think. Luciddream just said a few posts back that it’s going for around 1230 on richer sounds, I almost bought it in Harvey Norman today for 1400 but I’ll go with richer sounds for that price

Yep for the XH90. I think they normally take 3-5 days for delivery.

Cheers bud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive been doing some research into TV's lately (my own having screen issues for a while now and its not a 4k). With Black Friday and next Gen around the corner its probably the best time for this to happen.

So what I was reading, OLEDs while the best screen are reportedly prone to Screen Burn, especially with some computer games that would have static menus, FIFA was mentioned here and thats a game I play a lot of.

What are peoples thoughts? Avoid OLED if your going to be using GEN5 a lot on it?

For their price, 2-3 years and seeing image burn would be a terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s 1330 or so converted as price is 1199 plus whatever shipping is (not sure how difficult richer sounds make it to buy in Sterling and it’s massive and heavy )

At 1450 locally it’s a great tv at a fair price

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’s 1330 or so converted as price is 1199 plus whatever shipping is (not sure how difficult richer sounds make it to buy in Sterling and it’s massive and heavy )

At 1450 locally it’s a great tv at a fair price

It’s 1450 for richer sounds delivered. He’s only the one left aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

joe123 wrote: »
    Ive been doing some research into TV's lately (my own having screen issues for a while now and its not a 4k). With Black Friday and next Gen around the corner its probably the best time for this to happen.

So what I was reading, OLEDs while the best screen are reportedly prone to Screen Burn, especially with some computer games that would have static menus, FIFA was mentioned here and thats a game I play a lot of.

What are peoples thoughts? Avoid OLED if your going to be using GEN5 a lot on it?

To say OLED is the best screen is too vague. Yes they have better contrast and per pixel light control but not all OLEDs are the same. Processing (motion, colour etc.) plays a massive part in how a display works and thus you will find that Pana and Sony OLEDs will be regarded as better than LG for such factors. Sonys motion advantage is not limited to their OLEDs though and the xh90 you'll see mentioned in this thread will be better in that respect also.

Yes they can suffer from uneven pixel wear which gives the impression of burn in but theyve been working on ways to prevent it for years now and I believe the rate of cases is dropping - although it generally takes about 2 years for these things to show up so it may be a bit soon to tell. Either way, irelands consumer laws are excellent and there should be no issue winning a case in the SCC if an item is not reasonably durable e.g. faulty screen inside 3/4/5 years.

Would I buy one as a gaming TV with my new xbox? Nope. Cant trust them with any kind of recurring fixed images. Pixel wear is cumulative so it's not about having an image on screen for a long period which gets burned in, the repeated appearance of an image in the same place for short periods is just as bad. I'll buy the xh90 instead and live with a bit of backlight blooming safe in the knowledge that should I want to flick over to a news channel, it wont damage my expensive display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I got the 65 inch XH90 recently and it's amazing. A huge step up from my old LCD from 2009 obviously but the speed of the Android OS means I could retire my Nvidia Shield and streamline my setup.
    It's also just got the update to use HDMI 2.1 so I'm all ready for next gen!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

joe123 wrote: »

OLEDs are by far the best TVs on the market. Nothing else comes anywhere close to their picture quality. Burn in is nothing to be concerned about, and LG have taken ample measures to make sure it it is practically non existent.

You will never regret getting an OLED, but you may regret choosing another type like QLED as in the back of your mind you will know OLED is the best. Just go to the richersounds forum, they all say get an OLED if you can and most of them have one.

OLEDs are by far the best TVs on the market. Nothing else comes anywhere close to their picture quality. Burn in is nothing to be concerned about, and LG have taken ample measures to make sure it it is practically non existent.

You will never regret getting an OLED, but you may regret choosing another type like QLED as in the back of your mind you will know OLED is the best. Just go to the richersounds forum, they all say get an OLED if you can and most of them have one.

I was just going to post up a video from Vincent Teoh. He reviews OLEDS and he conducted a burn in test. Reaffirmed my decision to pick OLED for the Series X.

https://youtu.be/SlP2kwNqXNA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've been using an LG B/C7 (I can't remember which, but back then there was basically no difference. There is a difference in processing power now) for years now, solely hooked up to my Xbox. Looks great even now.

Just to be aware, the only tv that can do 4K 120Hz with both VRR and HDR enabled, is the LG CX.

This guy explains it more:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Buttros

Ive been using an LG OLED for 5 ish years. 950EF or something is the model. Madden is the game most played in that time. No issues with burn in. Still happy with it and my next TV will more than likely be an LG OLED (Not for a few more years)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

theteal wrote: »
    Would I buy one as a gaming TV with my new xbox? Nope. Cant trust them with any kind of recurring fixed images.

You're missing out. It's not an issue with regular gaming use and most tech sites etc recommend them for next gen gaming. I can't recall who at the moment but there's one site who are basically trying to force screen burn on OLEDs for months using scenarios that you'd never have ordinarily and it's not a huge problem.

Edit, Rtings, literally came to me after posting
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
    Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV.

Original statement from 11/05/2018: After more than 5000 hours, there has been no appreciable change to the brightness or color gamut of these TVs. Long periods of static content have resulted in some permanent burn-in (see the CNN TVs), however the other TVs with more varied content don't yet have noticeable uniformity issues on normal content. As a result, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV. Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

Since OLED became reasonably affordable (you can get end-of-line LG 55" models for around 1200 regularly) nobody with a budget in that range should buy an LCD.

LCD still has it's place for bright day time viewing, people who leave the news running all day etc. Or just a cheap TV for the bedroom.

I ended up buying the 65 Sony Bravia XH90 today anyway , got it for 1400 in Harvey’s. Haven’t set it up yet but can’t wait to later on :D

I went with the Qled and I can assure you its not something I regret nor will I ever regret. This TV was designed for gaming.

Oled is better contrast but honestly Qled is more than plenty good enough to the point where I felt my money was better spent going for a bigger screen for the ultimate cinema experience.

I also got 50% off a sounbar so there was that too. That offer is still going if people are looking for a TV + Soundbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I ended up buying the 65 Sony Bravia XH90 today anyway , got it for 1400 in Harvey’s. Haven’t set it up yet but can’t wait to later on :D

Can you confirm how many HDMI2.1 ports it has. I’m seeing some say the 65 has 1 vs the 55’s 2. Getting both the PS and Xbox so I’d need the two at least.

Advertisement