Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pride and Pinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Homer

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/watchni.co.uk

Seem to have plenty of positive reviews. Not showing any watches in stock on their site but seem legit and the reviews all seem genuine. A quick chat on the phone should give you confidence I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Friend of mine used to work with him and I've been following his social media for a while now.

(haven't bought anything from him)

Seems like a really good guy and very knowledgable on all things watches.

They've just opened a boutique shop in the merchant in Belfast. Has his own workshop and team based in Dublin who service and repair and I think he's opening a store up in Dublin too.

Looking at social media he has a lot of high end pieces and not a lot for less than 10k! Although he's most likely only showing off the top end pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I looked at a watch Nico had and although i didn't buy it in the end (didn't like it on the wrist), there was no pressure to buy and the guy is very passionate and knowledgeable about watches. I'll go back to him in a few weeks when i'm looking to buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

I have known Nico for about four or five years now, long before he started Pride & Pinion, an absolute gentleman, not a bad word to say about him, and possibly the most knowledgeable person in the country when it comes to horology and watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

:D....after Wibbs of course :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

P&P has exploded in the last few months. He started doing YouTube videos which are getting serious hits. The vids are fun to watch and he doesn't take things to seriously. He is very knowledgeable about watches and his hate for Hublot is hilarious.

Link to YouTube page

https://www.youtube.com/c/PridePinion

Good for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

sparrowcar wrote: »
    his hate for Hublot is hilarious.
    I get where he's coming from there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

this guy is good fun, and he knows what he is at with social media. A bit of personality, although if the channel grows he will find he has to soften his cough a bit to avoid his channel getting deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

possibly the most knowledgeable person in the country when it comes to horology and watches.
    He seems like a sound lad and I like his videos and have subbed, but his knowledge is more from a dealer/jeweller angle and very much current standpoint which is fine and he doesn't claim anything else, but many of his facts are anything but and seem to come from press releases or commonly held beliefs that keep being repeated. So things like his claim that Cartier made the first wristwatch is wrong on so many levels. Now I don't expect a retail guy to be that clued in on stuff like that and his knowledge of recent and current models particularly Rolex is spot on.
    Fitz II wrote: »
    this guy is good fun, and he knows what he is at with social media. A bit of personality, although if the channel grows he will find he has to soften his cough a bit to avoid his channel getting deleted.
    Very much so. Youtube has gotten a lot worse in this regard of late. The Swiss companies can be fierce twitchy too and lines must be towed to keep access. Now many industries are like this, the car industry an obvious one but watch journalism is incredibly constrained and closed off. Then again he doesn't seem to want to be in that circle so that's good.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Very much so. Youtube has gotten a lot worse in this regard of late. The Swiss companies can be fierce twitchy too and lines must be towed to keep access. Now many industries are like this, the car industry an obvious one but watch journalism is incredibly constrained and closed off. Then again he doesn't seem to want to be in that circle so that's good.

There is also a alleged cohort of jealous and petty watch youtubers, that like to have YouTube channels that are doing well deleted or lodge false, pedantic and spiteful copyright strikes.

Pride and Pinion are likely buying subscribers with over 80k subs and only 11 vids, they are simply not around long enough for that number of subs, hell timeless is out there a year now with 76 vids and only 27k subs. Still good content all the same so long as they are patient, if they get impatient and popular they will get deleted for the purchased subs. However, If you purchase subscribers and your channel is not popular due to it being super boring, youtube dont care and leave you to it.

• Advertisement

There is also a alleged cohort of jealous and petty watch youtubers, that like to have YouTube channels that are doing well deleted or lodge false, pedantic and spiteful copyright strikes.

Pride and Pinion are likely buying subscribers with over 80k subs and only 11 vids, they are simply not around long enough for that number of subs, hell timeless is out there a year now with 76 vids and only 27k subs. Still good content all the same so long as they are patient, if they get impatient and popular they will get deleted for the purchased subs. However, If you purchase subscribers and your channel is not popular due to it being super boring, youtube dont care and leave you to it.

Good points Fitz but on this occasion I reckon his subs are fairly genuine. The easiest and quickest way to spot fake subs is to see view or likes/thumbs up counts V's subs. In his case his views are all in the 200-300k range which would tally with his sub count.

You spot the fake sub buyers on Instagram a mile off for example. 60k followers and only 500 likes on a post is a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

You can buy views and likes also I believe?

Is it comments are the expensive one?

Another good give away is having 25k “subs” and then having 10 comments on each video usually from the same shill profiles.

Pride and Pinion are likely buying subscribers with over 80k subs and only 11 vids, they are simply not around long enough for that number of subs,
    That did strike me as odd F and I did wonder. There are a few channels I sub to that are around for a lot longer, would have way more videos, way more content on the subjects, more views per video and significantly more comments underneath but are well under 80k subs level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

893bet wrote: »
    You can buy views and likes also I believe?

Is it comments are the expensive one?

Another good give away is having 25k “subs” and then having 10 comments on each video usually from the same shill profiles.

The over the top price he charges for his watches he can afford a large advertising budget though.

scwazrh wrote: »
    The over the top price he charges for his watches he can afford a large advertising budget though.

Some of the stock is not badly priced and some is outrageous. I suspect that the "advertising budget" is going to a click farm in aisia. Comments, likes and subs are all easy to buy. No watch youtube channel grows that fast. He has not had a viral video.

Dont get me wrong, I like the content, I like the personality of the presenter but the numbers make no sense. Look and Jenie Elle, Caseback watches and all similar reaction content. Marc Gebauer is basically the same without the swearing and he is on since 2006 and has hundreds of vidoes...ony 100k subs. SOcialblade shows the detailed stats, with some days where 10% of watchers of the video subscribe....suspicious.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCXPXfAAo-yV6Y-0PZecwBLw/monthly

853092_81_81665_NpBF2iqJk.jpg

Ref the subs again.

He has had lots of interaction on reddit with some KSI guy who has millions of followers so again the subs may be genuine.

I've no idea, he may have bought them but equally you'd be surprised how quickly something can grow if discussed in the right circles.

I've no idea, he may have bought them but equally you'd be surprised how quickly something can grow if discussed in the right circles.

Teddy Baldassarre get some scoops and celebrities 270k in 6 years. My examples above, 2 months and 11 vids in the watch community is just not enough time, even if Kim Kardashian tweeted you were giving away free Pateks.

Teddy Baldassarre get some scoops and celebrities 270k in 6 years. My examples above, 2 months and 11 vids in the watch community is just not enough time, even if Kim Kardashian tweeted you were giving away free Pateks.

Yeh fair enough, like I said I've no idea.
    All the luck to him, nice to see an Irish man doing well.

Yeh fair enough, like I said I've no idea.
    All the luck to him, nice to see an Irish man doing well.

Yup. That’s two excellent 20k plus Irish channels.

The other being timeless of course.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Well in fairness at the moment the "value" bubble in the current and nearly current market has gone nuts and not just with Rolex, so there's a feeding frenzy and fair play if he can be in with that and keeping mostly to Rolex he(and his buyers) will be more cushioned anyway. I personally think we may have hit "peak watch" overall a year or so ago, with outliers like Rolex still in the game.

I see it in the vintage realm and it's been happening for a while. A few high end/chancers dealers like Hodinkee still commanding big prices, but generally the stock isn't shifting to nearly the degree it was. In forum sales of vintage again fewer sales, or prices being adjusted ever downwards because of lack of interest, regularly to the point where they're half the initial price and easily half the value they would have been a few years ago. The really special and rare pieces can still get interest and good prices, but the prices are softening even there and the less rare stuff is tanking in many cases. Covid and the worry about post viral recession could make it go either way.

That said the vintage side is a very different animal compared to the new/current/recent market, with very different buyers for the most part so the markets aren't really comparable. Over the years I've bumped into current model collectors and vintage collectors and I've met precious few who were close to equally both. Even on the interwebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

893bet wrote: »
    Yup. That’s two excellent 20k plus Irish channels.

The other being timeless of course.

I really like Timeless, the guy's well spoken, humorous, has great locations and interesting opinions. Top marks.

On the other hand I've watched a couple of YT videos by this P&P guy and I don't like them at all. He may be the nicest guy in the world to meet but as far as his watch channel goes it's a definite thumbs down from me.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Nico Simeone owns Six by Nico

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Time wrote: »
    Nico Simeone owns Six by Nico
    A friend of mine who has two restaurants in Belfast has told me that he runs the Belfast one . He has had dealings with him .

That channel bores me to death at this stage. It’s gone very meh.

I like his vids, but then again I'm childish at the best of times. :D

I had a look at their website. The prices are interesting, but hey fair enough if you get the buyers. Of the various Rolex I'd have no clue, but his two vintage Longines are troublesome to say the least. Both are re-dials and one has apparently had a quartz movement shoved into it. Eh... wut? He wants over 2 grand for one(with a tacky plated expanding bracelet) and 1000 sterling for the quartz lash up. That's both price gouging and taking the piss. No movement shots for any of the watches which is a sure sign of a dealer(QV hodinkee) aiming at less clued in buyers caught up in the recent watch craze.

Their articles are also pure Dealerspeak and chock full of nonsense. The 5 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Rolex a good example. Well no wonder you probably didn't know as only 2 are factual, the rest are pure ballsology. EG "Rolex brought the wristwatch to the market"... Eh no on every level. Then again in his vids he has said similar while also claiming Cartier invented the wristwatch... I suppose the story depends on whichever brand he's trying to flog to someone at the time.

So yeah entertainment in his videos if you like that sorta thing, but buyer beware as he's all about the hustle aiming for the youtube generation and newbies who are walking in the door with feck all knowledge.

Man the more you delve into their articles... Why invest in a luxury watch? 5 Reasons

Pure Dealerspeak again and pushing the investment notion with more bollocks. "Investing in watches is a great way to make money/You see, since the 70’s, the price of a stainless steel Rolex has never depreciated. Ever." That's an outright lie. The 70's hit Rolex just as hard as any other Swiss brand and they were losing market share. They had spent a fortune to get their own quartz offering(and ironically one of the best movements they made in their history), they even considered selling a digital and produced prototypes.

They clawed back some ground in the yuppie 80's with their used car dealer specials, the two tone and gold models, their steel were not a big seller at all. You couldn't give Daytonas away almost from the start, indeed they slashed the prices of same, even giving some away to valued customers. I'm old enough to remember secondhand Rolex, especially in steel being much cheaper than new. Hell I recall threads on different forums/chat rooms in the mid 90's with dealers complaining they couldn't shift Daytonas and pretty much any brand post 1970 vintage was a hard sell(or threads in Timezone as late as the early noughties favouring IWC over Rolex and constant complaints about how crap the latter's bracelets were).

Just like the rest of the Swiss industry they only started to get back market share in the 90's(an auto Daytona helped), but vintage stock was still cheaper after the internet into the mid even late 90's. At one point the big ticket items were early Trench Rolex and the earliest Oysters and Bubblebacks, until that went dead.

Are they an "investment" today? Sure and as Fitz noted in another thread a far better bang for your buck than a luxury car(or any new car for that matter)and have been for ten plus years so why not go with that, rather than the bullsh1t? Then again this is a crowd that have an article on how to spot fakes yet apparently selling redials is grand...

Sorry, I get a major itch in the centre of my brain with Dealer and industry BS that can lead to people buying into it.

Just caught his latest on Conor McGregor's watches. He is funny as feck if that's your bag of course and the editing and production are top notch, but with the first watch he mentions a Cartier he calls a subsecond a "complication"... 540052.gif Actually it's the centre second we all know and love today that was the complication, first as an indirect seconds addition to a basic movement then the direct seconds movements came along. Until well into the early 1950's subseconds were the order of the day for most. Cheaper to make and the movements could be made thinner and they were more robust than the indirect seconds "complication".

He can fire out reference numbers and values all the day long, but is scarily clueless about watches themselves.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just caught his latest on Conor McGregor's watches. He is funny as feck if that's your bag of course and the editing and production are top notch, but with the first watch he mentions a Cartier he calls a subsecond a "complication"... 540052.gif Actually it's the centre second we all know and love today that was the complication, first as an indirect seconds addition to a basic movement then the direct seconds movements came along. Until well into the early 1950's subseconds were the order of the day for most. Cheaper to make and the movements could be made thinner and they were more robust than the indirect seconds "complication".

He can fire out reference numbers and values all the day long, but is scarily clueless about watches themselves.

You may start your own YT channel Wibbs, you're a fountain of knowledge.

• Advertisement

Nah T, I've a great face for radio and a great voice for the silent era. :D Plus people want the razzmatazz rather than more dry facts and fair enough. Just when it's a dealer taking the mickey... That kinda grinds my gears.

Advertisement