Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ana Kriegel - Boys A & B found guilty [Mod: Do NOT post identifying information]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

They are doing it to make an example of her - I expect she will get the Probation Act.

She did society a service in this case exposing these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

McCrack wrote: »
    She did society a service in this case exposing these two.

Not quite. She posted up pictures of a lad who has the same name as boy a. He’s NOT boy a and had nothing to do with this case but this dope took the law into her own hands and posted up this other kids name and picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Woman charged over social media images in Kriégel case

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/1022/1173208-rebecca-ryan-court/

I’ve searched that RTÉ link and couldn’t find a mention of it.

Not quite. She posted up pictures of a lad who has the same name as boy a. He’s NOT boy a and had nothing to do with this case but this dope took the law into her own hands and posted up this other kids name and picture.

Is that the photo though that she circulated.

There was another photo A and B (A in white Nike top and B in black adidas top).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

She's charged with posting their pictures, no mention of her posting the wrong picture of anyone with the same name.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

In that case, can the 'wrong' lad not sue her for defamation?

I suspect that he can and may be awaiting the outcome of this case before initiating a civil case against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If she posted a photo of a random lad who was no Boy A, what offence did she commit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

In that case, can the 'wrong' lad not sue her for defamation?

Probably wouldn't get much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If she posted a photo of a random lad who was no Boy A, what offence did she commit?

Would it not be the same offence as she's charged with. It's in connection circulating images and details of what is allegedly boy a and boy b. Does it matter legally if she identified the wrong people.

In reality it's worse as presumably the lad she identified is not a murderer or sex offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't think her post was the one with the wrong boy identified.
    https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/22/waterford-woman-charged-with-identifying-boys-in-kriegel-case/
    The image allegedly posted by Ms Ryan was one that appeared on a number of platforms and was a cropped photo with other youths, whose faces were scribbled over. The two boys were highlighted with red circles and the letters ‘A’ and ‘B’ identifying them.
    Still was a daft thing to do.
    If she had claimed the wrong boy to be a murderer and incited hatred towards him, I would guess she broke a few laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,056 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seriously? You're implying that she can post a random picture of a 14 year old kid, say it's one ot he Kriegel killers and NOT face any consequences for it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Seriously? You're implying that she can post a random picture of a 14 year old kid, say it's one ot he Kriegel killers and NOT face any consequences for it?

Of course not - ever heard of defamation?

McCrack wrote: »
    Of course not - ever heard of defamation?

I agree - but the poster I was responding to didn't seem to think that shuld be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Effects wrote: »
    Probably wouldn't get much.

He'd get an apology at least - and she'd probably have to publish it in the national papers at her own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He'd get an apology at least - and she'd probably have to publish it in the national papers at her own expense.

How did you come to that conclusion?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So she is being charged with defamation of this random kid rather than breaking a court order not to identify Boys A/B? Or does even incorrectly identifying Boy A/B count as breaking the court order?

So she is being charged with defamation of this random kid rather than breaking a court order not to identify Boys A/B? Or does even incorrectly identifying Boy A/B count as breaking the court order?

The kid she apparently (I say apparently as there appears to be some confusion over whether or not this is the same case) identified has the same name as boy a. He was in the same year group in the same school.

So she published the name. That’s breaking the order, whether or not she had the correct photo

Depends on whether she's right ot not.

If the boy is indeed boy a or boy b, then she's guilty of breaking a court order.
    If the boy is "a random lad" as you put it and NOT one of them, then she's guilty of defamation - which is most certainly an offense, to answer your initial question.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,282 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is she posted the wrong boy, what's she charged with?

I do think those evil killers should be named and shamed

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is she posted the wrong boy, what's she charged with?

I do think those evil killers should be named and shamed

Read my reply at 18:13. Two lads in the same year with the same name. She had the right name, wrong photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

If the boy is "a random lad" as you put it and NOT one of them, then she's guilty of defamation - which is most certainly an offense, to answer your initial question.

Defamation is not a criminal offence though so a criminal court wouldn't have jurisdiction over it

SPDUB wrote: »
    Defamation is not a criminal offence though so a criminal court wouldn't have jurisdiction over it

Still an offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Just a question on this court order.... If I lived in another country and ran a website or even had a social media account and I named them, what would happen?
    Or if I was Irish and I had a Web domain from a.
    . Co.UK for example.

Always surprised me they were never publicly named where the Irish Court order didn't reach, which is the rest of the world to be honest.

Just a question on this court order.... If I lived in another country and ran a website or even had a social media account and I named them, what would happen?
    Or if I was Irish and I had a Web domain from a.
    . Co.UK for example.

Always surprised me they were never publicly named where the Irish Court order didn't reach, which is the rest of the world to be honest.

Technically, you'd still be in breach and an arrest warrant issued. How that would be served I don't know as I suspect it's not a serious enough offense to entrail extradition. Open to correction on that one. You certainly wouldn't be able to visit/return to Ireland for a while if your passport was to be scanned upon arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Still an offense.

I think defamation would be a civil matter rather than an offense. The state has no role in prosecuting a civil matter.

It would be up to the person who believes they have been defamed to decide if they have a case and whether it is worth pursuing through the civil court system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think defamation would be a civil matter rather than an offense. The state has no role in prosecuting a civil matter.

You are 100% right in that defamation is a civil matter and is not prosecuted by the state.

That said, constitutionally at least given article 40.3 of the Constitution.
    It is a matter between 2 parties, with state involvement limited to the judiciary.
    An academic argument could be made that the state is in theory responsible for vindicating the defamed.
    1° The State guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate the personal rights of the citizen.

2° The State shall, in particular, by its laws protect as best it may from unjust attack and, in the case of injustice done, vindicate the life, person, good name, and property rights of every citizen.

Now no article of the constitution should ever be read in isolation ;)
    But there is theoretically at least, grounds for the state to take such action.
    That said, of course it must be remembered that any such action taken would of course still be civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Defamation is normally thought of as an act which can attract civil liability.

Fair point, but still on offense against another person, even if not against the State.

My stance being: it's not something that can be done without without consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good enough for her.

Hope someone posts her photo on all their favourite WhatsApp groups.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Intentions can be a part of, regardless of whether or not they were successful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement