Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

scudster wrote: »
    And add some grease to the splines when fitting to reduce future wear and corrosion ðŸ‘

Personally I wouldn't apply lubricant, that will make the problem worse IMO.
    Correct torque on the sprocket fixing nut is the best method, if you still think there is a problem getting it tightened to spec then use some spline retaining compound like Loctite 660 but there are others, it is gap filling and really makes the sprocket fit tightly to the countershaft splines.
    Preventing movement is better than lubricating the splines for this reason, if you do go down the road of lubing splines then using a proper Molybdenum paste is best for preventing fretting wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah splines should only be lubricated where there is supposed to be movement along the shaft, e.g. shaft drive

Had a gearbox shaft fail in that way on a GS500, there was by design no nut holding on the engine sprocket just a circlip, wtf were they thinking :mad:

Better not to engage a gear to hold the sprocket while tightening, reports on some bikes of gear teeth shearing off :eek: safer to stick it in neutral and get somebody to stand on the rear brake, or put a plank of wood through the wheel under the swingarm.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

The sprocket felt tight enough when I put it back on did not feel sloppy considering the wear on the shaft
    Got the wife to stomp on the brakes and tightened it up
    No Grease or oil

No immediate plans to swap out the gearbox cartridge yet I will see how it goes and check it next weekend and make sure it has not come loose

Thanks for all the replies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

can hardly drive on it like that though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

20201022-145920.jpg

May as well give it a fresh drop seems the the front end is off.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    can hardly drive on it like that though ?

:-) Case of having to
    With Christmas coming I don't have have the cash to chuck in a replacement gearbox
    So I will check it every week to make sure its still tight
    J

Went to the filling station to get some petrol tonight

Just had the summer gloves on my poor little fingers were freezin

I do admit I might have broke the 5km limit though
    after 1.5 hrs I got back and thought A pair of heated grips would be nice if the family wanted to get me something for Christmas :-)

So Question is that if the handlebars are 22mm and the plastic of the throttle is 25mm
    What size heated grips does one hint at
    Are the ones said for 22mm bars big enough to go over the 25mm white plastic thingy of the throttle ?

Thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Went to the filling station to get some petrol tonight

Just had the summer gloves on my poor little fingers were freezin

I do admit I might have broke the 5km limit though
    after 1.5 hrs I got back and thought A pair of heated grips would be nice if the family wanted to get me something for Christmas :-)

So Question is that if the handlebars are 22mm and the plastic of the throttle is 25mm
    What size heated grips does one hint at
    Are the ones said for 22mm bars big enough to go over the 25mm white plastic thingy of the throttle ?

Thanks
    J

Yeah, they've thought of that! The left side is 22mm and throttle side diameter is wider at 25mm. There are a few different ones that Oxford do - sports, touring, cruiser etc

I got these ones https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/ie/Oxford-Hot-Grips-Premium-Sports-Heated-Grips/m-22506.aspx?PartnerID=16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Ireland&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28T8BRDbARIsAEOMBcwPSnpd_xjzJ1w9G6f1b-yZHMT22dR-nlDHoZRyBl7P9SN-kt8EM-MaAtDpEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

:-) Case of having to
    With Christmas coming I don't have have the cash to chuck in a replacement gearbox
    So I will check it every week to make sure its still tight
    J
    If it's not slipping yet and you're planning on a replacement drive on for now:)

Afaik the only bikes that aren't standard are some Harleys.

Yeah the throttle side grip is bigger.

The Oxford ones are very good.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

dmigsy wrote: »
    Yeah, they've thought of that! The left side is 22mm and throttle side diameter is wider at 25mm. There are a few different ones that Oxford do - sports, touring, cruiser etc

I got these ones https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/ie/Oxford-Hot-Grips-Premium-Sports-Heated-Grips/m-22506.aspx?PartnerID=16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Ireland&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28T8BRDbARIsAEOMBcwPSnpd_xjzJ1w9G6f1b-yZHMT22dR-nlDHoZRyBl7P9SN-kt8EM-MaAtDpEALw_wcB
    Afaik the only bikes that aren't standard are some Harleys.

Yeah the throttle side grip is bigger.

The Oxford ones are very good.

Now just to drop a few subtle hints :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

All new fairing bolts, 30 quid for the kit

Have ordered a new fuel filter and some hose. Also got some loom tape to tidy up the wiring.

All new fairing bolts, 30 quid for the kit

Have ordered a new fuel filter and some hose. Also got some loom tape to tidy up the wiring.

Yeah that's something I need for the V
    The ones on it are looking a bit tired also mis matched bolts and a couple with the heads stripped a bit

Yeah that's something I need for the V
    The ones on it are looking a bit tired also mis matched bolts and a couple with the heads stripped a bit

Yeah I had to drill some out and use an impact screwdriver on others

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

20201020-163240.jpg

Into the shed to give a little polish while it's raining. Mr sheene got carried away again. Ah well odd balls bearings in the post.

All back together. I'll have to find something else that isn't broke to fix, to get through the phoneylockdown.

Major issues in the garage, there shouldn't be bubbles in this should there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭goblin59

swapped my back wheel from alloy to spokes today on the F650GS twin.
    Need a new disc for the front spoke wheel and then thats done too

Going to keep a set of 50/50's on the spokes and road tyres on the alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks wrong alright, give me a shout and I'll help you to drain it and get rid of whatever is causing those pesky bubbles.

Watch out for the ripoff 470mL cans which are on the way :eek:

You know you will be sent to the ff/fg gulag along with the covid and climate change deniers for showing such dissent

• Advertisement

0% yeah .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Aldi has them in a slab for less than a euro a can but the offies/supermarkets will probably rip ya off alright

0% yeah .

Wash your mouth out, I'm struggling woth my 'pint' coming from a can never mind it being alcohol free

Wash your mouth out, I'm struggling woth my 'pint' coming from a can never mind it being alcohol free

You may not like the answer but it tastes the same outta the can 😅

Once lockdown is over I shall bring you for a pint. Then you will revisit that statement

Once lockdown is over I shall bring you for a pint. Then you will revisit that statement

Not a hope I stand by it. I'm an avid Guinness drinker.

The whole speil is the consistency of the drink across all formats.

The environment if the local your in builds the impression though il give you that.

But if the barman poured a can behind that counter without you knowing. You wouldnt have a clue.

There must be more ballsology spoken about Guinness than all other drinks in the world put together.

Not a hope I stand by it. I'm an avid Guinness drinker.

The whole speil is the consistency of the drink across all formats.

The environment if the local your in builds the impression though il give you that.

But if the barman poured a can behind that counter without you knowing. You wouldnt have a clue.

I suppose, whatever way it comes it all turns your ****e black...

Got the bike back together enough to fire the engine, turned over not a bother, fired and idled better than ever. Happy man, now just to put her back together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Where are the mods when you need them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Thats a bold statement, I'd take the pepsi challenge on that any day of the week

Advertisement