Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next%- the ongoing debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

It seems like the Alphafly has been ignored/downgraded a little. They may tweak it but for now the Vaporfly definitely has the upperhand and the Adidas are gaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Has anyone tried the New Balance RC Elite yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I am enjoying reeling in my Strava segments that I smashed last year with Next% with my Hoka Cliftons this year. The unreal times I posted last year in Next% have now been wittled away in the past few weeks wearing nothing but Hoka Cliftons and all the training.

Having said that if I now stuck on the Next% fair to say I would push down the times again. Back to the start.

I ran a 5k PB on New Years Day (20:44..ok not exactly awesome I know) at my local ParkRun. Now it is an undulating trail path with a few hills and a lovely short nasty hill at 2k (13% gradient anyone?) wearing Vaporfly Next%.

I ran the exact same course on Saturday just gone in 20:07 on my own with Hoka Cliftons that have over 1100km on the clock (since June). As it was a set 5k time trial I choose not to wear the Next%...trained too much this year for November marathon to have credit taken away from me.

Game face with Next% I would have broken 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

I ran a 5k PB on New Years Day (20:44..ok not exactly awesome I know) at my local ParkRun. Now it is an undulating trail path with a few hills and a lovely short nasty hill at 2k (13% gradient anyone?) wearing Vaporfly Next%.

I ran the exact same course on Saturday just gone in 20:07 on my own with Hoka Cliftons that have over 1100km on the clock (since June). As it was a set 5k time trial I choose not to wear the Next%...trained too much this year for November marathon to have credit taken away from me.

Game face with Next% I would have broken 20mins.

It's funny I literally just bought a pair of Cliftons last week and wasn't blown away by them yet. I'm coming from the Carbon X mind which I loved but I needed more comfort on the pavement. I also have the new Alphafly's which I'll be using for my sub 3 marathon attempt next month and was shocked using them over weekend that I got blisters on the sole of right foot and I never get blisters!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

iancairns wrote: »
    It's funny I literally just bought a pair of Cliftons last week and wasn't blown away by them yet. I'm coming from the Carbon X mind which I loved but I needed more comfort on the pavement. I also have the new Alphafly's which I'll be using for my sub 3 marathon attempt next month and was shocked using them over weekend that I got blisters on the sole of right foot and I never get blisters!

I had Clifton 4 which I loved and then I went Clifton 5 last year but they gave my blisters and were far too tight. When I upped the mileage this year I had to go back to the 5 and wore them out. After 1200k they burst during the depths of 'lockdown'. I had planned on moving to a different brand but with all shops closed I went for the 'better the devil you know' option online with Clifton 6 but went for the wider fit...far better and no issues. The isses with Clifton 5 for me was too narrow fit. From having blisters every week to none since moved to 6 wide.

They do take getting used to but after 1100k they are more than holding there shape and feedback. They are coming up for replacement but I will hold off until Christmas.

The Carbon X are defo on my list...what is your take?

Will use the Vaporfly next month for marathon. Hoping for close to 3:15-3:20 with a view to breaking 3:15 in the autumn. Would be the greatest achievement of my life if I broke 3hours in my 40s but a long long off and realistically probably beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Would be the greatest achievement of my life if I broke 3hours in my 40s but a long long off and realistically probably beyond me.

Never sell yourself short, you’re more than capable of sub 3 with some dedication and the correct training. Hope to achieve the same in my 40’s, if and when marathons return!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

OOnegative wrote: »
    Never sell yourself short, you’re more than capable of sub 3 with some dedication and the correct training. Hope to achieve the same in my 40’s, if and when marathons return!!!

Absolutely. My next sub 3 attempt will be at 44 all going well. I'm not letting age tell me when I'm not allowed hit PBs. I'll be in Vaporfly's bu the way

I had Clifton 4 which I loved and then I went Clifton 5 last year but they gave my blisters and were far too tight. When I upped the mileage this year I had to go back to the 5 and wore them out. After 1200k they burst during the depths of 'lockdown'. I had planned on moving to a different brand but with all shops closed I went for the 'better the devil you know' option online with Clifton 6 but went for the wider fit...far better and no issues. The isses with Clifton 5 for me was too narrow fit. From having blisters every week to none since moved to 6 wide.

They do take getting used to but after 1100k they are more than holding there shape and feedback. They are coming up for replacement but I will hold off until Christmas.

Will use the Vaporfly next month for marathon. Hoping for close to 3:15-3:20 with a view to breaking 3:15 in the autumn. Would be the greatest achievement of my life if I broke 3hours in my 40s but a long long off and realistically probably beyond me.

I was 52 and 10 years running before I managed it. Marathon number 12 or so.

Itziger wrote: »

Yeah but you’re a contrary Cork man!!!

Love the Carbon X's, great toe box and roomier than Clifton's. I just literally did all my miles in them foolishly.

This will be my 6th Marathon and I've eaten away at my times each time from Maiden marathon 3:31 down to 3:11 in NYC in 2017. Improved each time. This is my first time using a coach (Kev English) and absolutely loving the training plans. Best thing I ever did so hoping to pop the sub 3 goal cherry. Been a lifetime goal and hopefully will do it next month in Phoenix Park. Did a HM time trial on Sunday on coast road in 1:20:26. Beat old PB by 3mins

• Advertisement

Yeah but you’re a contrary Cork man!!!

True,.......but relevant??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Itziger wrote: »

This is the kind of post I need to read today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »
    This is the kind of post I need to read today!!

I agree, my times have gone backwards over the 5k and 10k in last 2 years.

Two good half marathons in that time, one was 90 secs off pb and the other 20 secs off it.

The other half we just ignore it. Current climate sucks also.

If its still here in April next year, we might need to organise a half between us and have pods of 15 or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I see Nike have released their mango colourway version of the Alphafly and Vaporfly which haven't sold out already. I wonder has the Nike hype died down? Many more options available and not to many major road races with covid restrictions at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

MY BAD wrote: »
    I see Nike have released their mango colourway version of the Alphafly and Vaporfly which haven't sold out already. I wonder has the Nike hype died down? Many more options available and not to many major road races with covid restrictions at the moment.

While id say the other brands bringing out versions of carbon shoe's. Id say the lack of road races is having a huge impact on sales. Alphafly and Tempo have also been getting some negative reviews so the wouldn't help sales.
    Now if only they would bring back Vaporfly flyknits..

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sheedy234

I bought the alpha fly's and ran 2 x 5ks in them they were nice to run in felt much easier going up hill,but after the 2nd 5k part of the sole lifted off! 300 euro pair of runners !! I did feel all the time something digging into my arches , definitely a defective pair not good enough at that price . Back to nike they went ,have been wearing the zoom fly 3 most of year and love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

Have bought two pairs of Nikes this year (not carbon plate) and they have either given me blisters once I hit 10 miles or ingrown toenails.

What are the carbon plate options outside of Nike? I usually overpronate and really only wear wave inspires

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Ceepo wrote: »
    While id say the other brands bringing out versions of carbon shoe's. Id say the lack of road races is having a huge impact on sales. Alphafly and Tempo have also been getting some negative reviews so the wouldn't help sales.
    Now if only they would bring back Vaporfly flyknits..

The vaporfly Flyknits are the best shoe I've ever had, I search for them every week and have had no joy. I did buy one pair in the USA and got them sent to an post address but got cancelled due to fraud or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just bought a pair. Had an email off Nike saying as its my birthday this month I can have 25% off a purchase. Didnt expect it to work with the Next percent but lo and behold it did.
    Got them for €206.
    Still expensive but I thought it was too good an opportunity to pass up at such a reduced price.
    Only colour they had left in my size was mango which I wouldn't be mad about but sure what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I ran in mine during the week.
    I bought them specifically for Manchester last April but we all know where this year's races went. May as well use them for race pace runs for now.
    I'm running with a Styrd so it was weird.
    The plan was 40 mins at 305watts which has been 4:11 per km pace.
    The result was 40 mins at 305watts which wound up at 4:06 per km pace.
    I might need more test runs so I don't overdo it. The hope is a 2:59:59 finish in Feb

• Advertisement

Just bought a pair, I was surprised to see them included in the Nike Sale.

Just bought a pair, I was surprised to see them included in the Nike Sale.

Did the Member25 code work for you with them? I tried it and no luck. Was going to get a new pair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kemboi

iancairns wrote: »
    Did the Member25 code work for you with them? I tried it and no luck. Was going to get a new pair :(

The code works on the new "White/University Red" colour, not the other ones.

Kemboi wrote: »
    The code works on the new "White/University Red" colour, not the other ones.

That is the pair that I got but I think it also works on the ones that you design yourself but they are slightly more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

Can you link which ones you got the code working on?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I think unknownability and Kemboi are referring to the Nike Tempo Next % rather than the alphafly or vaporfly Next %. I don't believe the Tempo's are in the same league as the other two being discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭All or nothing

Looking for some advice. I have been wearing the Nike Pegasus for the last number of years, only just bought another pair of Pegasus 37 yesterday in the Nike sale for €60. I’m looking to get another pair for speed work and races when they come back. I wouldn’t be running fast enough to justify buying the Alphaflys and Vaporflys. I’m trying to decide between the Pegasus Turbo or the Zoom Fly 3. Any opinions which would be better for use as a session/ race shoe up the half marathon distance.

Looking for some advice. I have been wearing the Nike Pegasus for the last number of years, only just bought another pair of Pegasus 37 yesterday in the Nike sale for €60. I’m looking to get another pair for speed work and races when they come back. I wouldn’t be running fast enough to justify buying the Alphaflys and Vaporflys. I’m trying to decide between the Pegasus Turbo or the Zoom Fly 3. Any opinions which would be better for use as a session/ race shoe up the half marathon distance.

Pegasus Turbo for me, Zoom Fly are a little on the heavy side I find and more of an everyday training shoe IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Pegasus Turbo for me, Zoom Fly are a little on the heavy side I find and more of an everyday training shoe IMO.

Never tried the Turbo, but i have tried fly 3. And id agree they are bit in the heavy side. But i couldn't wear them as anf every day trainer. Found them good for tempo, faster pace stuff, but they felt very "clunky" (if thats a word) for everyday runs.
    Each to their own I suppose

Advertisement