Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

.anon. wrote: »
    But yes, the bus companies and the NTA are failing their customers by not having inspectors boarding buses to ensure that people are complying with the regulations.

As pointless as the covid marshalls over in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

GT89 wrote: »
    As pointless as the covid marshalls over in the UK

It's not pointless. Inspectors are already employed (albeit doing very little) and their presence alone would be enough to ensure that people at least wear their masks properly while on buses (i.e. covering their mouths and noses).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Luas has checkers and security.

Luas has checkers and security.

They are there to check tickets and prevent anti social behaviour not check mask compliance. They have no more power than a bus driver. Remember only a Garda can enforce these regulations and even at that it is iffy. No has actually been arrested for not wearing a mask all the high profile incidents the person has been arrested for public order offences.

They are there to check tickets and prevent anti social behaviour not check mask compliance. They have no more power than a bus driver. Remember only a Garda can enforce these regulations and even at that it is iffy. No has actually been arrested for not wearing a mask all the high profile incidents the person has been arrested for public order offences.

I said nothing about masks.

Since we are been made use them numbers have gone out of control....

As a Driver we are left with no back up whatsoever, not getting into it with people over masks or nomasks.

• Advertisement

I said nothing about masks.

Since we are been made use them numbers have gone out of control....

As a Driver we are left with no back up whatsoever, not getting into it with people over masks or nomasks.

Dosen't matter they have no power to do anything whether it be covid measures or anti social social behaviour. They don't stop anti sicial behaviour on the Luas.

Dosen't matter they have no power to do anything whether it be covid measures or anti social social behaviour. They don't stop anti sicial behaviour on the Luas.

Its a deterrent, they will make passenger feel safer.
    The security does stop it, I've seen them many times doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

People will just take to their cars quite simply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Re: 25% capacity - how was this enforced last time? Was it just a case of putting signs on 3 of every 4 seats saying not to sit there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes

• Advertisement

Re: 25% capacity - how was this enforced last time? Was it just a case of putting signs on 3 of every 4 seats saying not to sit there?

On buses once the capacity limit is reached the driver won't stop unless people are getting off but then again some drivers will let on more than the amount.

On trains and the Luas impossible to enforce.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If masks work why are they limiting the capacity on buses even further under level 5? 99.9% of passengers on buses are wearing them.

Masks reduce chances of transmission, they don't eliminate it.

Some people seem to think everything is black and white. It rarely is.

Its a deterrent, they will make passenger feel safer.
    The security does stop it, I've seen them many times doing so.

I agree that more needs to be done to stop anti social behaviour. The Garda need to do more to protect passengers and drivers maybe if they put more energy focusing on anti social behaviour and stopped intimidating ordinary people under the guise of the kung flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

With schools, construction and manufacturing staying open and buses running at 25% capacity I suspect come Thursday morning there are going to be a lot of people left standing at bus stops as buses go by full

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Aircoach Suspending 700/705X froom Wednesday Evening with the Cork route continuing to operate with just 12 seats.
    https://www.aircoach.ie/news/suspension-aircoach-700-705x-services-thursday-22-october-30-november
    Following the recent announcement from the Irish government on the move to Level 5 in the ‘Living with COVID Plan”, it is with a heavy heart that we are suspending our 700 city centre and 705X Belfast services from 00:00 midnight on Wednesday night.

Under the Level 5 restrictions, all but essential workers are to avoid public transport and bus capacity is moved to 25% occupancy. Both pieces of guidance combined mean that to protect our business for the longer term, we must suspend these two services until 30 November or until the restrictions change. We will continue to operate the 704X Cork service at the reduced capacity of 12 seats.

Below is a list of the last services on each of the two routes we will be suspending:

700 Dublin Airport to UCD. The last service will depart the airport at 22:55 on Wednesday 21st October.

700 UCD to Dublin Airport. The last service will depart UCD at 23:12 on Wednesday 21st October.

705X Dublin City via Dublin Airport to Belfast. The last service will depart Dublin City at 20:30 on Wednesday 21st October.

705X Belfast City to Dublin City via Dublin Airport. The last service will depart Belfast at 17:30 on Wednesday 21st October.

We will return to service as restrictions permit. Please keep an eye on this website and our social media channels for the latest information.

Stay safe, Stay well.

The Aircoach Team

GoBus to Continue Operating Services
    https://www.gobus.ie/news.php?id=192
    Following our Government's announcement last night, all of Ireland will be placed on Level 5 of the Plan for Living with COVID as of midnight on Wednesaday 21st October 2020.

GoBus.ie will remain operational throughout to accommodate essential travel and we would ike to remind passengers of the following;

- All servcies will operate at a reduced capacity of 25%
    - Face coverings are mandatory for travel on our services
    - Use hand sanitiser on-board
    - Respect each other's social distance
    - Enchanced cleaning regimes for your safety

Stay Safe

The GoBus.ie Team

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

From Thursday October 22nd, Dublin Coach will begin operating at 25% capacity in line with government recommendations.

This means we will be operating our normal timetables, but with fewer seats available on board.

We encourage everyone to buy their tickets online to guarantee their spot!
    �� Book your tickets online ���� http://bit.ly/dublincoach

Please stay safe and follow the government guidelines.

#BigGreenBus

Just going to pop this here too

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Are the X Dublin Bus routes still going to run? I rely on my routes 1 morning departure to avoid the schoolkids on regular route. Stopped X route during original lockdown. Could see no update on DB website, last covid one is from August.

Are the X Dublin Bus routes still going to run? I rely on my routes 1 morning departure to avoid the schoolkids on regular route. Stopped X route during original lockdown. Could see no update on DB website, last covid one is from August.

It will be a full Mon-Fri service just 25% capacity. Its a riddiculous move imo is any other country in Europe reducing public transport to 25% capacity?

Off work next week so I might use public transport either bus or DART to head out on a few day trips for walks to places like Bray, Howth or Malahide if it's not raining. I honestly cannot see the Gardai enforcing the 5km travel limit on public transport they only ever really stop people in cars and not those public transport or even on foot it seems.

Usually I would drive to these places but will use public transport this time to avoid being stopped whilst driving. I wonder will others do the same. Also if the Dart is more than 25% full it won't stop me getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Off work next week so I might use public transport either bus or DART to head out on a few day trips for walks to places like Bray, Howth or Malahide if it's not raining. I honestly cannot see the Gardai enforcing the 5km travel limit on public transport they only ever really stop people in cars and not those public transport or even on foot it seems.

Usually I would drive to these places but will use public transport this time to avoid being stopped whilst driving. I wonder will others do the same. Also if the Dart is more than 25% full it won't stop me getting on.

Seventeen people will be allowed to travel on a double decker bus. In addition to being too selfish to heed public health advice and stay at home to prevent spreading a highly contagious virus, you'll be unnecessarily taking up a seat that someone on an essential journey might need. A health worker on the way to work a long shift in a hospital, perhaps.

Disgusting, self-indulgent behaviour. Zero regard for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

Do you have nothing better to do late at night than come on here and throw bombs into this thread? Can only imagine how bad it'll be next week if you're off work.

.anon. wrote: »
    Seventeen people will be allowed to travel on a double decker bus. In addition to being too selfish to heed public health advice and stay at home to prevent spreading a highly contagious virus, you'll be unnecessarily taking up a seat that someone on an essential journey might need. A health worker on the way to work a long shift in a hospital, perhaps.

Disgusting, self-indulgent behaviour. Zero regard for others.

Will travel off peak when it's quieter when it was a 17 passenger limit the last time I travelled a few times and don't remember the bus leaving anyone behind as there were only 5 or 6 people on it. If the buses are going past full then Ile use the DART or Luas instead which won't be an issue.

Also 17 is not 25% of 90 a double decker takes 90 passengers normally but yet they'll only take 17 if running at 25% capacity it should be 22 or 23 passengers not 17. Likewise when running at 50% capacity they should take 45 not 37 as that's not 50% capacity.

GT89 - You are vearing very close to crossing the line of what is opinion and what is trolling. Please make sure you don't cross it otherwise I'll have to consider taking action.

As for everyone else - if you have a problem with a post, please can you report it and outline what your issue is and ideally how it breaks the charter/rules rather than discussing it on thread and we'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Will travel off peak when it's quieter when it was a 17 passenger limit the last time I travelled a few times and don't remember the bus leaving anyone behind as there were only 5 or 6 people on it. If the buses are going past full then Ile use the DART or Luas instead which won't be an issue.

Also 17 is not 25% of 90 a double decker takes 90 passengers normally but yet they'll only take 17 if running at 25% capacity it should be 22 or 23 passengers not 17. Likewise when running at 50% capacity they should take 45 not 37 as that's not 50% capacity.

Please dont be part of the problem. Its going to be hard enough over the next few weeks.

In the 1st lockdown it was ridiculous the amount travelling to parks the other side of the city, tourists trying to travel for free, adults using child leap cards exploded in the amount doing so, people going to house parties, bags of drink, people collecting drugs and you may ask how would I know well the smell of skunk would be a major give away.... So much more.

In the 1st lockdown it was ridiculous the amount travelling to parks the other side of the city, tourists trying to travel for free, adults using child leap cards exploded in the amount doing so, people going to house parties, bags of drink, people collecting drugs and you may ask how would I know well the smell of skunk would be a major give away.... So much more.

Believe me there will less compliance this time. I actually agreed with the first lockdown at the time although I did think it went too long. I think putting us all back into lockdown is absolute madness of the highest order. It is destroying the economy and causing serious mental health problems.

Are bus operators allowed to leave school children stranded as children would possibly be classed as vulnerable induviduals. Over in the UK I know that bus drivers must accept at risk such as lone women late at night, elderly people and children passengers regardless if they have the fare or not in these times have a mask or the bus is at social distancing capacity. This is under the premise that the induvidual is safer on the bus than on the street. Would such a thing not apply to Dublin Bus or indeed Bus Eireann.

Does the following or something similar apply here for bus drivers?
    "Do not leave anyone stranded if they are vulnerable or obviously in distress. For example:

• Young or older people

• People who could be at risk if left behind, including those in isolated places or at quieter times

• People who are disabled, injured, unwell or who have had an accident, assault or similar incident

• People who show you a travel support card and may have learning difficulties. Not all impairments are obvious."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Are bus operators allowed to leave school children stranded as children would possibly be classed as vulnerable induviduals. Over in the UK I know that bus drivers must accept at risk such as lone women late at night, elderly people and children passengers regardless if they have the fare or not in these times have a mask or the bus is at social distancing capacity. This is under the premise that the induvidual is safer on the bus than on the street. Would such a thing not apply to Dublin Bus or indeed Bus Eireann.

There are internal policies on such matters, the specifics of these are none of your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Believe me there will less compliance this time. I actually agreed with the first lockdown at the time although I did think it went too long. I think putting us all back into lockdown is absolute madness of the highest order. It is destroying the economy and causing serious mental health problems.

Sorry now, but Mental Health is trotted out left right and centre. Most of us are coping and will cope.

With due respect to those ACTUALLY diagnosed with MH issues of course.

We have to be resilient and try our best for our family, neighbours, friends, schoolkids and so on. Societal responsibility saved Sweden for example, they are ok now despite everything they apparently didn't do.

So let's think of a different way to cope.

Sorry probably in the wrong thread Mods!

Advertisement