Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

If masks work why are they limiting the capacity on buses even further under level 5? 99.9% of passengers on buses are wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Didn’t know until today under L4 or 5, public transport will be back to 25% capacity. Strange decision.

It’s now being said that public transport is actually safer than we thought at the start of the pandemic, very few clusters worldwide have been traced back to public transport.
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-public-transport-could-be-safer-than-we-thought-12091657

As long as the schools are open it makes no sense to reduce transport to 25% capacity as I believe school buses would also be affected by the reduction in capacity.
    bk wrote: »

I think the idea is that only essential workers are supposed to be travelling anyway.

As an essential worker who relies on PT to get to/from work, I really disagree with this sentiment. Public transport is the lifeblood of people who don’t drive and I don’t think it’s fair to tell such people to stay put and go absolutely nowhere for such a long period of time with no end in sight. I also don’t think it’s right that the government decides to put anti-car measures in the budget such as a carbon tax increase, while at the same time telling people to stay off public transport. That kind of thinking is not being challenged enough in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

GT89 wrote: »
    If masks work why are they limiting the capacity on buses even further under level 5? 99.9% of passengers on buses are wearing them.

Because masks don't work when you wear them under your chin/nose, which is how most Dublin bus passengers are wearing them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Lifelike wrote: »
    As an essential worker who relies on PT to get to/from work, I really disagree with this sentiment. Public transport is the lifeblood of people who don’t drive and I don’t think it’s fair to tell such people to stay put and go absolutely nowhere for such a long period of time with no end in sight. I also don’t think it’s right that the government decides to put anti-car measures in the budget such as a carbon tax increase, while at the same time telling people to stay off public transport. That kind of thinking is not being challenged enough in my view.

I don't drive and rely on public transport. Level 5 is basically a version of the lock down in March. Shops like Penneys etc. will be closed. All pubs, restaurants will be closed. No visiting other homes, family, etc. Folks who can work from home, will. Not supposed to go 5km from your home and then only for exercise.

Basically under these restrictions, no one but essential workers are meant to be out and using public transport and there would be little reason for people to do so anyway.

Now the government might not decide to go to Level 5 or they might decide to modify what it means, but the above is the general idea. Even if there wasn't a 25% restriction, numbers would likely fall to below that anyway at Level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looks like level 4 is coming in....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What does this mean for public transport?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Etsy does this mean fir public transport?

Reduced capacity.

Unless it's stated otherwise

Reduced capacity.

Unless it's stated otherwise

That’s fine as long as the private operators don’t jump ship

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That’s fine as long as the private operators don’t jump ship

Depends what you mean by private operators. GoAhead and Transdev/Luas are private operators who are fully paid for under PSO contracts, so would be fine as long as the government keep paying for those services.

I assume you mean commercial operators (which also includes BE Expressway), well the NTA seem to be giving at least some of them money to operate as PSO operators at the moment, so it depends if that is enough to keep going or not.

Depends what you mean by private operators. GoAhead and Transdev/Luas are private operators who are fully paid for under PSO contracts, so would be fine as long as the government keep paying for those services.

I assume you mean commercial operators (which also includes BE Expressway), well the NTA seem to be giving at least some of them money to operate as PSO operators at the moment, so it depends if that is enough to keep going or not.

JjKavanagh, Citylink and the likes

• Advertisement

Depends on their financial status and if they can take the hit for a few weeks it's really anyone thoughts now as it continues to change every few days and weeks......

If they go back to 17 passengers on Dublin Bus how the hell are they gonna manage with the schools most stops serving schools would have more 17 school children waiting at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

If they go back to 17 passengers on Dublin Bus how the hell are they gonna manage with the schools most stops serving schools would have more 17 school children waiting at them.

The parents not going to work can bring them

Tickityboo wrote: »
    The parents not going to work can bring them

So clog up the roads with more cars with the associated crap parking. Great idea.

If the numbers keep going up, only a matter of time until the schools close too.
    Gael23 wrote:

Yes, at least some of them are currently getting support from the government as temporary PSO operations. Though depending on the level of support, that may or may not be enough to keep them going.

BTW Citylink are part of a big international company who seem to be doing ok at the moment, so are likely under less stress then smaller operators, but that is just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

The attitudes of some bus drivers in my particular case in Finglas towards physically disabled passengers is abhorrent number 40 40D 83 83a 140 and in a much lower case the 17a just plain nastiness going on for months now I've opened several complaints with Dublin bus never hear a thing back.

I'm reliant on these buses to get me to and from my many appointments try asking a fellow passenger can you sit down you'd think you'd insulted them. The buses need an active inspector for mask compliance safe distance and antisocial behaviour specifically on the 40 service its a scary service not helped by drivers turning a blind eye to trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

If the numbers keep going up, only a matter of time until the schools close too.

They should really be doing that immediately - closing them for an extra week either side of the midterm break could help to bring numbers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

The attitudes of some bus drivers in my particular case in Finglas towards physically disabled passengers is abhorrent number 40 40D 83 83a 140 and in a much lower case the 17a just plain nastiness going on for months now I've opened several complaints with Dublin bus never hear a thing back.

I'm reliant on these buses to get me to and from my many appointments try asking a fellow passenger can you sit down you'd think you'd insulted them. The buses need an active inspector for mask compliance safe distance and antisocial behaviour specifically on the 40 service its a scary service not helped by drivers turning a blind eye to trouble.

It's not the job of the bus driver to enforce the mask wearing.. i tried and was insulted/shouted at and the usual name calling, no back up from anyone so I gave up trying.

From the sound of your post the only person that has an attitude problem is you. How are bus drivers behaviours on the routes you mention abhorrent, please enlighten us?

Have you actually informed the drivers about the trouble the driver is not going to know there is trouble on board and to take appropriate action if no one tells them. They are paid to operate the bus in a safe manner not patrol the bus for breaches of the law or company bylaws.

Ask for back up, get your union involved I clearly state an inspector should be on board the antisocial bus routes 79a 27 77 and in my case the 40 these buses are safe a lot of the time but they are among the worst for trouble if not the worst.

• Advertisement

.anon. wrote: »
    They should really be doing that immediately - closing them for an extra week either side of the midterm break could help to bring numbers down.

And what happens when the schools reopen again and the cases start to rise again. Rinse and repeat going back into lockdown is not a strategy as once it's eased cases will just go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ask for back up, get your union involved I clearly state an inspector should be on board the antisocial bus routes 79a 27 77 and in my case the 40 these buses are safe a lot of the time but they are among the worst for trouble if not the worst.

I'm seeing 100% compliance nearly all the time on the route I use.

Finglas is finglas, a lone inspector won't solve Dublin's social issues.

EVERY BUS

What can an inspector do that a driver cannot? The NBRU have been calling for a dedicated transport police for a number of years now to no avail.

Yeah I'm done it's like contacting Dublin bus here just nonsense response or I'm the one causing the problems.

Unsubscribed from this thread.

Yeah I'm done it's like contacting Dublin bus here just nonsense response or I'm the one causing the problems.

Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 25,832 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Basically under these restrictions, no one but essential workers are meant to be out and using public transport and there would be little reason for people to do so anyway.

Except that schools are open. So lots of kids still catching buses.

Madness but.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If you're going to unsubscribe from the thread then telling someone that you are doing so just looks like a cry for attention so please don't do it. We don't all need to know.

Nobody is causing problems by having their own opinion, but as a discussion forum you should expect that other people might not have the same views as you and they have a right to sharing their view. It is not the moderators job to judge who is right and wrong in a debate, just to ensure posts are within the rules.

Bye

Unconstructive posts like this add nothing to this thread. I don't want to see such posts again from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I drive every single DB route you've mentioned, and it's funny because the 40D/83/140 are the literal least affected routes by anti-social behaviour or violence on the bus itself. The 40s, in the last 14 months I've had no hassle at all. I'd wonder have I had you on my busses, because if I have you've certainly never made me aware of anything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

The buses need an active inspector for mask compliance safe distance and antisocial behaviour specifically on the 40 service its a scary service not helped by drivers turning a blind eye to trouble.

Apart from the fact that it's not the driver's job to intervene, doing so can often exacerbate the situation. I do my best by refusing to carry more than the limit, and encouraging people to take all available seats upstairs rather than standing downstairs, but as I approach that limit (i.e. all seats are taken and one or two people are standing downstairs), I often get passengers coming up to me complaining that I've let too many (other) people on the bus. My response is simple - I pull in at the next stop and politely inform them that they can get off if they wish, reminding them that the next bus will probably be too full to stop for them.

But yes, the bus companies and the NTA are failing their customers by not having inspectors boarding buses to ensure that people are complying with the regulations.

Advertisement