Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The wasp for the F650gs! :D

Screenshot-20201017-124156.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭goblin59

blade1 wrote: »
    The wasp for the F650gs! :D

Screenshot-20201017-124156.png

i have been looking at that one xD

looks quite comfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

That topsellerie have some nice seats alright I was looking at maybe getting one for the V pricey but nice
    I would have to go for the lowered one as the V is a tall bike and I just fitted the Lust lowering link to give me an extra 1 1/2" on the ground

The deposit is hefty also while they wait for the old seat to be returned
    but nice looking seat

Could you bodge one together with their seat covers and a stapler or would it look crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Could you bodge one together with their seat covers and a stapler or would it look crap
    Not easy to get perfect!! :)

Today's job on the V was the front sprocket
    It did not put up any resistance though straight forward but manky with oil and muck
    But I needed to re-tension the chain after the lowering link anyway so it seemed a good time to do it as I bought it a few weeks ago

529874.jpg

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    Not easy to get perfect!! :)

I was thinking of trying to get a seat from scrap bike and tinkering / try get it lower shave the foam with a carving knife and the cover was about €80 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭goblin59

That topsellerie have some nice seats alright I was looking at maybe getting one for the V pricey but nice
    I would have to go for the lowered one as the V is a tall bike and I just fitted the Lust lowering link to give me an extra 1 1/2" on the ground

The deposit is hefty also while they wait for the old seat to be returned
    but nice looking seat

Dad was saying to check out the seat concepts. He has one on a DR650 so i must have a go on that.
    he has the bike quite tall though

I have the Sargent up for sale though on adverts now.

It did not put up any resistance though straight forward but manky with oil and muck
    But I needed to re-tension the chain after the lowering link anyway so it seemed a good time to do it as I bought it a few weeks ago

529874.jpg
    Was there any slop between the new sprocket and splines on the output shaft? The receiving splines on the old sprocket tell a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

After learning too late that one should not use applegreen petrol I got my bike into the shed. I'm not normally one for jumping to conclusions or blaming bad fuel, however it was the smell when I opened the tank that gave it away.

Stripped it down a good bit. There are other jobs that need doing. Pulled the plugs. Which had less than 500 miles on them and they were black and soaked now given she was obviously all over the shop. Have them cleaned up now and will do a bit of tidying on her over a few evenings this week

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never had problems with Apple green myself

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Never had problems with Apple green myself

Would never have thought it bad myself but some are franchise and my OH who used to work for them years ago gave out to me for being thick enough to buy fuel there

Bike as she sits now (well trumpets covered obvs) and a plug

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

An old chain will wear out a new sprocket quickly

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plugs on the CBR can be changed by just removing the access panels on each side...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Plugs on the CBR can be changed by just removing the access panels on each side...

I know, I've other jobs to do too so thats why I took her down

As she sits now - well trumpets covered again. A lot of the fairing bolts were in tatters with a few needing to be drilled out and the impact screwdriver to get others out. Somebody put coloured bolts into it at some stage of its life and bought the cheapest crap they could find. Anyway, new stainless bolts on the way.

I've also discovered she has a Delkevic header, might get a Delkevic end can to match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Got the SV more or less finished. Lots of little jobs and some bigger jobs done...

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

20201020-163240.jpg

Into the shed to give a little polish while it's raining. Mr sheene got carried away again. Ah well odd balls bearings in the post.

Was there any slop between the new sprocket and splines on the output shaft? The receiving splines on the old sprocket tell a story.
    No funny enough seemed tight enough considering the old ones look like vampires teeth :-)

An old chain will wear out a new sprocket quickly

I changed the chain a few weeks back as there were some stiff links
    I then discovered the nut that holds the sprocket was loose
    I tightened it up as it nearly came off in my hand
    Ordered a new front sprocket and a lowering link and after putting the lowering link on I had heard that the chain would be a bit tighter so I changed the front sprocket and tensioned the chain

Although after H_lime asked if there was any slop on output shaft
    I had thought it felt ok but went and looked at the photos I took there is actually a good bit of wear on the output shaft now that I have my glasses on :-( I tightened it up well and went for a spin and it feels grand
    I will have to keep a good eye on it

• Advertisement

20201020-163240.jpg

Into the shed to give a little polish while it's raining. Mr sheene got carried away again. Ah well odd balls bearings in the post.
    Wow thats what you call a deep clean :-)

Small but satisfying job. Bought a can of high temp paint, not a fab job but grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Small but satisfying job

ZIJ0YXE.png?1

I put my glasses on and had a look at the photo I took when I was doing it and a story is right :-(

530085.jpg

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

20201021-172846.jpg

Drifting out a steering bearing cup and this fella drops between my feet. Took a long time to find a home for it. Stop end cap from the fairing rack.

I put my glasses on and had a look at the photo I took when I was doing it and a story is right :-(

530085.jpg

Ouch

What's the bike, the mileage and what kinda money does it stand you? Is it used for pleasure or commuting?

Not much done...

What's the bike, the mileage and what kinda money does it stand you? Is it used for pleasure or commuting?
    2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 with 43000 mls used only for pleasure at the mo

Apparently the Gearbox is a cassette type and can be removed without taking the engine out
    Seen them on ebay for about £150

[HTML][/HTML]
    2008 Kawasaki Versys 650 with 43000 mls used only for pleasure at the mo

Apparently the Gearbox is a cassette type and can be removed without taking the engine out
    Seen them on ebay for about £150
    If that's the case your haunted, should be quite doable.
    Fit a decent quality sprocket once it's fixed and tighten it to spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

[HTML][/HTML]
    If that's the case your haunted, should be quite doable.
    Fit a decent quality sprocket once it's fixed and tighten it to spec.

And add some grease to the splines when fitting to reduce future wear and corrosion ðŸ‘

Advertisement