Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EVs should cost less to NCT

• 19-10-2020 4:04pm

Just putting this out there:
    In Germany an EV doesn't have to be tested for exhaust emissions so the cost of getting the equivalent of an NCT cert every two years is lower. In actuality it is roughly 50% lower.
    If the objective of Government is to incentivise EV ownership the cost of a NCT test should be reduced accordingly.
    No ODB check, no connecting emission measuring equipment. Less effort is involved in testing an EV for roadworthiness.
    I'd mail the Minister but for the fear that he'd put up the price of an NCT for poor people driving old ICE vehicles...unintended consequences and all that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

they'll never reduce EV costs only put up ICE until EV looks cheaper. They're scratching their heads about what they will do when everyone is on the low motor tax bands and no longer buying petrol/diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

they'll never reduce EV costs only put up ICE until EV looks cheaper. They're scratching their heads about what they will do when everyone is on the low motor tax bands and no longer buying petrol/diesel

the problem is that no matter which way they go, they'll be dependent on the additional revenue and will run into problems when ice revenues dry up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Emissions are only one check of many. However, the test still uses up a timeslot regardless.
    It's a bit like suggesting that you should pay less to see a doctor for something minor vs more serious.

Why would the Germans do it then if the costs were all the same?

daheff wrote: »
    the problem is that no matter which way they go, they'll be dependent on the additional revenue and will run into problems when ice revenues dry up
    Since when should the public be giving a private company additional revenue. The Government only get the VAT on the service provided. NCT is a service provided not a tax. There is a standard rate VAT rate on an NCT check.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/N/national-car-testing-nct-motor-vehicles.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,758 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can see where you are coming from. My EV was NCTd yesterday and it took considerably less time than any of my ICE vehicles before.

That said, a comprehensive, independent, pretty objective safety and compliance test for just €54? You won't hear me complaining. TÜV in Germany is over €100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It is not just EVs that forego the Emissions test... I have a Toyota Hybrid and gone through 3 NCTs. Not once has it been checked for emissions but I don't expect a lower fee for the test as a result. I think it is a good way to have your car checked out for relatively little money.

unkel wrote: »
    I can see where you are coming from. My EV was NCTd yesterday and it took considerably less time than any of my ICE vehicles before.

That said, a comprehensive, independent, pretty objective safety and compliance test for just €54? You won't hear me complaining. TÜV in Germany is over €100
    TÜV including HU and AU lasts two years for cars over 10 years old in Germany, not one year as in Ireland.

TÜV including HU and AU lasts two years for cars over 10 years old in Germany, not one year as in Ireland.

How many EVs are there in Ireland that are over 10 years old?

3? :p

Clutching at straws there, man? :pac:

How many will there be. Old cars which are taxed based on the displacement of their engines are still being crucified 12 years later. The wheels of progress turn slowly in Ireland.

Based on the thought process of some here in this sub-forum a guy going in for a short back and sides should be charged as much as a Woman looking for a Bayalage treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€100 for 2 years in Germany.
    €108 for 2 years in Ireland.

We are 8% more expensive.

Gumbo wrote: »
    €100 for 2 years in Germany.
    €108 for 2 years in Ireland.

We are 8% more expensive.
    No, it is roughly €55 for an EV in Germany every two years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

The NCT is only €50.

Even if it were free to NCT an EV the savings would be minimal. Considering the initial cost of the things.

They'd be better off abolishing VAT and VRT and maybe free motor tax.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Based on the thought process of some here in this sub-forum a guy going in for a short back and sides should be charged as much as a Woman looking for a Bayalage treatment.

The NCT for an EV takes around 15 mins, the NCT for an ICE vehicle takes around 20 mins, it's like saying a scissor cut and a razor cut should have different prices, most barbers just charge the same as a gent's haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A small discount on the EV NCT would be important symbolically as it would demonstrate that EVs are simpler and have less to go wrong.

liamog wrote: »
    The NCT for an EV takes around 15 mins, the NCT for an ICE vehicle takes around 20 mins, it's like saying a scissor cut and a razor cut should have different prices, most barbers just charge the same as a gent's haircut.
    Should EVs be cross subsidizing ICE cars and the testing equipment for ICE cars.
    Based on your top-of-the-head (sic) figures the NCT for an EV should cost €41,25.
    The €13,75 pays for an quite a quantity of night rate electricity.

The NCT is only €50.
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Booking-an-NCT--Test-Fees/
    €55 euro once the VAT rate goes back up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

liamog wrote: »

Funny you say that.
    My local barbers is dearer for a scissors cut than a razor cut. And a skin fade is dearer again as it takes longer.

Basically a short back and sides is €3 more expensive that a 3 all over.

I'll do you a 3 all over for a fiver. Takes 60 seconds :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Do I pay more if I turn up in an combustion vehicle?

• Advertisement

I'd use my diesel hedge cutter on you. Same price but you'll have to sign a waiver :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

unkel wrote: »

Shouldn't have, with the exception of the emissions check which is a few minutes,everything
    Is the same, brakes,steering, suspension, lights.

Lumen wrote: »
    A small discount on the EV NCT would be important symbolically as it would demonstrate that EVs are simpler and have less to go wrong.

But they aren't ,all the NCT checks for brakes,steeringand suspension, stay the same, a n EV is just a car with a electric motor and battery instead of an engine and fuel tank, both of these will have to checked for loose cables,damage etc

Gumbo wrote: »
    Funny you say that.
    My local barbers is dearer for a scissors cut than a razor cut. And a skin fade is dearer again as it takes longer.

Basically a short back and sides is €3 more expensive that a 3 all over.

With the exception of student s rate mines a flat rate

With the extra weight maybe EVs should be tested yearly like older cars,

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

The cost of the NCT is so marginal compared to the overall cost of car ownership in Ireland, I highly doubt it'd be worth it, TUV in germany is much more stringent and severe then the NCT anyway so not a great comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Can't figure out how to delete this on phone. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

simplicity, blended average cost across all vehicles, some take less time, some take longer, one (very reasonable) cost for all

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Less equipment needed, less time required. No need for ventilation to clear exhaust fumes, big saving. So therefore it should be cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭creedp

Reminds me of the ground floor apt owner agitatating for a reduced mgt fee because he doesn't use the lift.

Advertisement