Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Colourful Characters of Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

seanybiker wrote: »
    Tommy barry. Yeah that's the fella.

Tommy Barry yeah. Dint know where I got Power out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Tommy Barry yeah. Dint know where I got Power out of.

How did he handle the situation? Does he still stick out in the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Nolanger wrote: »
    Where was Burgerland, beside the Book Centre?

What is now The Book Centre, was Stripes, a fast food restaurant. I worked there when I was in 6th year, too many years ago:o. Supermac's used to be what we called The Gloss, think was actually called The Savoy. You went in and upstairs, it had pool tables and video games etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Mork from Ork and his jacket street sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

I do i remember him, was he the guy that sold windmills i used to love getting them on a Sat, crazy wat you remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

jayboi wrote: »
    i know hes not a real person and probably not colourful but what about the lad that keeps knocking on the window in fieldmaster hes been at that a good while now.

:D:D Ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JRYANPOW

I remember Mad Texas, chased us a few times, he had a caravan up by the rusty tracks I think.
    Martin Hunt and the Roanmore strip and belting the slither down Patrick street.
    Eddie Batt. Poor fella unfairly labelled a jinx
    Remember hearing a story about cashin and miller having a bath tub full of booze around xmas one time and just diping in a mug for a refill, rock n roll!
    Stab the rasher is still around.
    Anyone remember Shammy the postman up around griffith place, leamy street ard na graine area? Seem to remember him looking like eric morecombe, maybe I'm wrong tho.
    Anyone remember Bollockys (sic) field up the back of the mount sion pitch near the bucket factory and how he'd shoot you in the arse if you got caught in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

nkay1985 wrote: »
    That'd be Kev Power. Pretty sure he was in Australia for a while and kept the fro the whole time. Must have been roasting. Good musician is Kev. Still meet him the odd time around town.
    Saw him play in Sals at the weekend : his voice is amazing. He was talented when busking, but seems to have come on leaps and bounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

SheFiend wrote: »
    Saw him play in Sals at the weekend : his voice is amazing. He was talented when busking, but seems to have come on leaps and bounds!

he used to play with Lebowski didnt he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

Does she live down that way?

I've been told she lives just off Barrack St
    Not sure how accurate that is though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Waaah2k11boi

"There was this guy that used to dress up as batman I saw every now and then, remember seeing him at spraoi and just walking around town a few times. Came up to my friend one day and asked him did he want to be his robin. Very strange fella."

If it is that Dave guy, he was a substitute art teacher in St Pauls there a few years ago when I was doing my jr cert which was back in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

few cans? wrote: »
    he used to play with Lebowski didnt he?

Yeah i knew he used to play with lebowski a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 denisoneill14

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Do any of ye remember the Pigeon Man? He'd be on the Quays or up around Barronstrand Street or Broad Street in the 1970s, feeding the birds. A roundy oul lad, always wore a heavy overcoat tied with a rope.

That was "Forty Coats" - named after the character from "Wanderly Wagon" on R.T.E.
    He was a harmless old gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 denisoneill14

SUNGOD wrote: »
    "how do"..cause thats what he will say to you, there are youtube clips of him shouting "how do"

years ago there was harry miller and fella called cashin they were allways together and were just known as "cashin & miller"

harry miller had grey hair and a long grey beard and someone said "harry would you do santa clause for christmas" he replied " i would if you hold him down":D

in more recent times we had the legends known as "multivan" and "newportwex" whose intellect is only surpassed by their popularity
    I went to school with Harry in Mount Sion. His mother was one tough lady! They lived in Barrack Street at the time he was being educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Soswozere wrote: »
    thewhale wrote: »
    Great to hear all about the different characters from this thread, i'll throw in my own one, does anyone remember the lady that used to sit on the side of the road up from Corbally church, out by the saleens, she used to try stop all the passing cars with her stick and try on tell them her life story, to us she was known as Lily Shing Shang.
    Yep. She was a Dame. She would bang on the car asking the time. When she died, her dogs stayed by her side, one had died of hunger and the others were starving, yet the door was open.
    There was a fantastic documentary about her on rte 1 radio about 7/8 years ago. It was one of the best things I ever heard. Called looking for lily shing Shang. It was a great story. I think it was made in the Waterford region of rte radio. Try to find it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Wasn't there a racing horse in tramore called lily shing shang too? Presume there is some sort of link

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I've heard rumours of a guy who used to always be around, then just disappeared one day.
    Apparently he had loads of names... I heard that when he had a bike they called him biker, when he baked bread they called him baker, when he was the 1st officer of the enterprise they called him riker and when people talked about his various names they called him thanker.

But I dont believe in urban legends....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Anyone remember Andrew Byrne directing the traffic back in the '80s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

I've heard rumours of a guy who used to always be around, then just disappeared one day.
    Apparently he had loads of names... I heard that when he had a bike they called him biker, when he baked bread they called him baker, when he was the 1st officer of the enterprise they called him riker and when people talked about his various names they called him thanker.

But I dont believe in urban legends....
    he is one legend of a man, heard he has fists of steel and stands ten feet tall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

One of the most famous character's in my time growing up in Waterford was Ankle socks she was supposed to have been a prostitute but how anyone touched her was beyond me as she was filthy. A friend of mine was going home late one night back in the early '70s' out in Ballytruckle and there was a full moon when he spotted herself on a bench that used to be there, her legs spread apart and wearing no knickers, being young and having his first look she copped him and asked what are ya lookin at boy, to which he replied I'm only looking at the moon to which she answered ya should have seen it last night there was a man in it. There were loads of character's around town in the '60s' and '70s' most of them were harmless it must have been a miserable existence for them as most were on the streets all day. There are lots of funny stories to tell even though there lives were not great their wit was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kilkennyguy5

jesus all the memories,growing up around Waterford back in the 80s,so many characters coming flooding back
    The guy outside Darrers selling the windmills
    Chap with the dark wavy hair,looked foreign,walking round town talking to himself
    Michael with the beret,i remember him in the Book Centre one day,reading aloud from random books
    Martin Hunt
    The Bok singing in The Roxy and T&Hs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus all the memories,growing up around Waterford back in the 80s,so many characters coming flooding back The guy outside Darrers selling the windmills Chap with the dark wavy hair,looked foreign,walking round town talking to himself Michael with the beret,i remember him in the Book Centre one day,reading aloud from random books Martin Hunt The Bok singing in The Roxy and T&Hs

Interesting how we use such terms to describe some people who clearly have psychological issues, and may need assistance and support

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

jesus all the memories,growing up around Waterford back in the 80s,so many characters coming flooding back
    Chap with the dark wavy hair,looked foreign,walking round town talking to himself
    Michael with the beret,i remember him in the Book Centre one day,reading aloud from random books
    Martin Hunt
    The Bok singing in The Roxy and T&Hs

• Johnny Lyons (outside Dunnes as well)
    • Davy Singh (hes still around I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

There's an oul lad that used to be singing and dancing in Shortts. He was some character, he's around but I guess he has no shortts to go to now :(. Someone made a gif of him dancing under the roof at the apple market. Some legend haha

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Interesting how we use such terms to describe some people who clearly have psychological issues, and may need assistance and support

There's a well dressed older man who walks around the town most days and around the Dunmore Road area. Apparently he is retired but still keeps up the charade of dressing up each day and going about his business as if he is going to/still at work. He used to be a bank mgr I am led to believe. Genuinely feel sorry for the lad:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

There's a well dressed older man who walks around the town most days and around the Dunmore Road area. Apparently he is retired but still keeps up the charade of dressing up each day and going about his business as if he is going to/still at work. He used to be a bank mgr I am led to believe. Genuinely feel sorry for the lad:(

Is that the man that is always smiling? I see man fitting your description fairly reguarly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

its a significant problem for some folks when they retire, we truly need a proper structure in place to deal with this critical life transition, many are just left on their tod when they retire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

MY OLD MATE FROM YEARS AGO JOHNNY LYONS FROM WATERFORD CITY CENTRE RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I have seen him! And he could be anywhere, but you are most likely to find him smiling away walking around that loop of Grange Manor, Tesco Ardkeen, and back down past the Uluru and down St Alophonsus Road...

I thought he was a solicitor when I first saw him. Seems a harmless character and the walking keeps him very fit and active I imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement