Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Our estate are organising a halloween parade at 6pm set to music at our little green area, so the kids get to show off their costumes, and the parents can all video it on their phones!. And we're also doing a halloween hunt where you have to find certain pictures in windows around the estate. For each clue/window pic you find, your parents give you a treat into your halloween bag. It's not as good as calling to doors, but it'll have to do for this year and I think the kids will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Last year we had something like 50 kids trick or treat. We would usually make little treat bags, with some sweets and crisps to hand out.

Won't be doing it this year. Think its a bad idea. I hope parents have the cop on to keep there kids at home or organize alternatives for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

So what's going to happen halloween night? kids banging down the doors of elderly and immune-compromised people looking for sweets? I mean you can't "cancel" halloween but surely there's a common sense solution.

often on halloween houses put out notes - saying they have no sweets left. people can do this .
    Has covid robbed people of the ability to handle minor issues or communicate with people? apparently so, that is a sad reflection on the fear and paranoia created in irish society by the government and media.

There is no way halloween including calling to houses is cancelled for my kids. If somebody doesn't want to partake , no problem at all we can go to the next house.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We would normally hand out stuff but not this year. While it's all very well for people to say that they will do it within guidelines, I've seen far too many idiots that can't even wear a mask properly so I don't have much faith in humanity any more.

We are looking at alternative ideas for fun instead. Around here the kids know that only the houses with decorations get called on, and you leave the ones without any Halloween decorations alone, so if we've nothing outside we won't get bothered.

Quite a few houses on our estate have hallowe'en decorations out already. I'm not sure if that means they are willing to have trick or treaters call, or whether they expect nobody will be trick or treating this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

JDD wrote: »
    Quite a few houses on our estate have hallowe'en decorations out already. I'm not sure if that means they are willing to have trick or treaters call, or whether they expect nobody will be trick or treating this year.

I hope having decorations out is not deemed as some sort of code for saying tricker treaters welcome!!
    We will be decorating as we do every year but hope people have enough cop on to just park the trick or treating this year.....I actually don’t get the big deal, you’d swear the kids will be damaged forever more because they can’t do it!!!!
    Or is it that some parents just couldn’t be arsed thinking of alternatives for their kids to have fun....love the idea your estate has come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

paw patrol wrote: »
    There is no way halloween including calling to houses is cancelled for my kids. If somebody doesn't want to partake , no problem at all we can go to the next house.

Me, me, me!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

cant26 wrote: »
    I hope having decorations out is not deemed as some sort of code for saying tricker treaters welcome!!
    We will be decorating as we do every year but hope people have enough cop on to just park the trick or treating this year.....I actually don’t get the big deal, you’d swear the kids will be damaged forever more because they can’t do it!!!!
    Or is it that some parents just couldn’t be arsed thinking of alternatives for their kids to have fun....love the idea your estate has come up with.

Well this is the thing. In years gone by, decorations have been the code to say you had sweets to give out. We never called at houses that didn't have any decorations (though did when I was younger when house decorations weren't a thing).

We get a good few kids from a neighbouring estate and I expect they'll be out trick or treating as usual. We have our decorations out and I fully expect to have a few call to the door. Not as many as usual, for sure, but we made up 100 bags of sweets last year and they were gone within an hour, so I still expect to have to good few callers.

What I'm going to do is make up half the normal amount of bags - while wearing gloves and a mask, and put the bags spaced out a little bit on the window sill beside the front door. So that means no rummaging in a big bowl or anything.

I'm not going to judge people bringing their kids trick or treating. Some parents just want to try and cling on to some normality for their kids. We might be able to revert to some form of normality next year, but our kids view of the world is permanently changed and probably not for the better. I can see a parent justifying trick or treating by thinking it's outside and any risk is low as long as they stand back from the door and the treats are left out for them.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cant26 wrote: »

Depends on your neighbourhood, in ours is a definite rule though. Decorations outside = please call to the door, so I've just put our decorations up indoors this year. Just in case, it might be an idea to put a sign on the gate?

We are planning a sleepover (restrictions permitting) with his two friends, and we'll do some 80's style Halloween games. And we are working on a charity trick or treat drive through as well.

So hopefully it won't be a disappointing Halloween for the kids, just the year they did it differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

paw patrol wrote: »
    often on halloween houses put out notes - saying they have no sweets left. people can do this .
    Has covid robbed people of the ability to handle minor issues or communicate with people? apparently so, that is a sad reflection on the fear and paranoia created in irish society by the government and media.

do you live in Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I feel sorry for kids but I won't be opening the door to any this year.
    Either will I...just like last year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As with everything else, it'll not be the middle classes sending their kids out to T or T this year. If you live in a broadly "nice" area i dont think you'll have many aknockin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

As with everything else, it'll not be the middle classes sending their kids out to T or T this year. If you live in a broadly "nice" area i dont think you'll have many aknockin

if we can skip paddys day it should be made clear kids will survive and parents should have no issue to buy 10nners worth of sugar to get em entertained.
    theres no fcking reason any kids should be roaming around this year. and fully agree those that are in agreement to follow guidlines should do their part.

As in most cases sure as fck there will be plenty of scum gangs banging on many doors.

while i dont care if some neighbors make agreements and decide to do it between themselves its grand.

but coming to BH media and gov should put hard emphasis not to partake in this $hit show this year, as many people id imagine would seriously love to avoid any nuisances specially this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have pumpkin shares I'm looking to sell if anyone's interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am not opening the door this year but am making individual bags with a few goodies in them . I will put a bowl of little bags on my porch and leave a note for the kids to take a bag each . I only expect our few from the cul de sac to calll so would like to leave something for them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

“ Trick or treating” is a relatively new concept , imported from America . Children can still dress up, eat loads of sweets and watch “ Hocus Pocus .” Halloween is NOT cancelled, think a bit outside the box , folks !

“ Trick or treating” is a relatively new concept , imported from America . Children can still dress up, eat loads of sweets and watch “ Hocus Pocus .” Halloween is NOT cancelled, think a bit outside the box , folks !

Its not really a new concept . Way back fadó fadó in the 50’s and 60’s when I was a kid we went around the houses . We had a net shopping bag and “ Help the Halloween Party “ was our call
    We got fruit and nuts and the odd home made cake or bun .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its not really a new concept . Way back fadó fadó in the 50’s and 60’s when I was a kid we went around the houses . We had a net shopping bag and “ Help the Halloween Party “ was our call
    We got fruit and nuts and the odd home made cake or bun .

They must have been bleak times

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It isn't. It's an Irish and Scottish tradition that emigrants from here brought to the US. They fancied it up and that excess has made it over here. (And good because trick-or-treating in a bin bag and an uncomfortable hard plastic mask was not better. Nor was going to every single house in the area without any clue if the occupants were participating or not. I do wish kids got a bit less 'candy' at each house though because getting full goodie bags at each house is excessive.) Obviously we won't be doing it this year but it's our tradition. I did it, my parents did it, at least some of my grandparents did it. I'm not sure if they called it trick-or-treating or not, I certainly did in the 80s. In Scotland it's called guising.

They must have been bleak times

Nope they were wonderful actually . I had a fabulous simple childhood , maybe not for all and I am well aware of that but many of us had a great childhood .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

iguana wrote: »
    It isn't. It's an Irish and Scottish tradition that emigrants from here brought to the US. They fancied it up and that excess has made it over here. (And good because trick-or-treating in a bin bag and an uncomfortable hard plastic mask was not better. Nor was going to every single house in the area without any clue if the occupants were participating or not. I do wish kids got a bit less 'candy' at each house though because getting full goodie bags at each house is excessive.) Obviously we won't be doing it this year but it's our tradition. I did it, my parents did it, at least some of my grandparents did it. I'm not sure if they called it trick-or-treating or not, I certainly did in the 80s. In Scotland it's called guising.

It's say in the 70s it was hybrid of old traditions and some newer stuff. Was less the commercial onslaught and marathon it is now.

But people can decide to make the most of it, and enjoy the good parts and filter out the commercial bits that are excessive.

I'm wondering how it will work (or not) this year. Make it a scary movie night. Or something.

Just witnessed a post on a local community group on Facebook descend into name calling, "dry sh1tes", "kid haters" etc. as an awful lot of locals appear to be in favour of trick or treaters this year. Suggestions such as "wear a mask", "leave sweets outside your door" and "turn your lights off if you don't want any kids to call".
    Apparently they only get one childhood and one different Halloween will scar them for life. They touch so many things at school that running around the neighborhood isn't going to make a difference. Oh and my favourite one, those who are isolating or cocooning are not doing it by choice and seeing a load of children in costumes having fun will make their lives better. (That comment even finished up with "They haven't got much time left.")

I won't be opening my door on Halloween, but I'm not going to hide inside with the lights off. I have a very large dog with a very large bark who should react to the squeak of the gate opening, if anyone is downright selfish enough to try coming to my gaff for free sweets. That should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stay At Home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

We're going to leave out a few sanitised unopened bags of sweets with a sign saying "take them all!", then sanitise the dish and replace them if any kids come around to take them.

As for my nieces and nephews, there are parties and at home with fun stuff to do among their own families.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Looks like findings on transmission and children have been updated.

https://theconversation.com/children-might-play-a-bigger-role-in-covid-transmission-than-first-thought-schools-must-prepare-144947

Tbh having at home Halloween celebrations is not new. This was standard when I was growing up. I'm sure the kids will be fine without calling around the neighbourhood tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Down with all American 'traditions' and Hallowe'en now being a month long..

Was not trick or treating in my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

gozunda wrote: »
    Looks like findings on transmission and children have been updated.

https://theconversation.com/children-might-play-a-bigger-role-in-covid-transmission-than-first-thought-schools-must-prepare-144947

Tbh having at home Halloween celebrations is not new. This was standard when I was growing up. I'm sure the kids will be fine without calling around the neighbourhood tbf.

This is 2 months old. We've had 2 months of schools with very few outbreaks, ie, positive children (which there are many) are not super spreaders and very very few people become infected by them. I personally ate a sweet that had been in a child's mouth and the next day the child tested positive. I was fine. The child did not spread to anyone, siblings, parents, grandparents, friends, all were negative.

That said, mine will not be going trick or treating this year. I do not want them sick from anything let alone covid, and they ALWAYS get sick after Halloween night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is 2 months old. We've had 2 months of schools with very few outbreaks, ie, positive children (which there are many) are not super spreaders and very very few people become infected by them. I personally ate a sweet that had been in a child's mouth and the next day the child tested positive. I was fine. The child did not spread to anyone, siblings, parents, grandparents, friends, all were negative.

That said, mine will not be going trick or treating this year. I do not want them sick from anything let alone covid, and they ALWAYS get sick after Halloween night

Right so. Was that the 1 year old in hospital 2 weeks ago with covid type symptoms

But your child was infected - by whom? Another child? i rest my case.

And no the findings on children and transmissions has not gone out of date btw. Plenty of schools now seeing rising rates of infections.

Advertisement