Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We'll be answering the door I'd imagine. They'll be brief encounters which pose a low risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

The little granny killers better not come near my door or they’ll get the garden hose turned on them.
    Hopefully they drop there sweets. And I’ll have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stay away from my door with yer begging snot nosed offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

In the estate where I live, we get a good amount of trick n treaters and they sort of rush the door when you open it to get at the treats. Will not be opening my door to that this year. But I was thinking of hanging a rope between two trees at opposite sides of my front garden and pegging little bags of sweets on the line for them to take and I would keep restocking after each group left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I remember my mum would bake a fruit brack and put a ring in it.

The OG to Beyonce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’m not the mist child friendly zine but I always make n effort to be home and have mountains of quality junk to hand out at the door.

Definately not this year - and will not be impressed by anyone knocking . children are high risk carriers not to mention the virus living on and being transferable on paper/ plastic/wrappers etc.

Tradition or not there are enough Halloween traditions to resurrect for the kids to have a great time. I wouldn’t have any kind of a good opinion of any parent who let their kids out door to door to get infected or infect - despite the vampire season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

MM was asked about halloween the other day and he was a bit cagey but I'd say they'll give an guideline on way or the other in the lead up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

MM was asked about halloween the other day and he was a bit cagey but I'd say they'll give an guideline on way or the other in the lead up.

Pity he didnt man up and repeat the basics - children are high risk carriers, not to go to people who are not in your pid, no unnecessary touching or minus two meter contact and going door to
    door to strangers houses touching surfaces and knocking at doors and bells - out of the question. Is he a michéal or a mouse - man up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Not to be pernickity here, but how are children high risk carriers? There are conflicting studies so far, some saying that children are as likely to catch coronavirus, but less likely to pass it on. Other studies show they are just as likely as adults to pass it on. I haven't seen any studies to say that children are more likely to infect each other or adults, than adults are, thus making them "high risk" carriers? Perhaps there is something new out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I live in an area with loads of small children, and I normally go all out for Halloween. I don't like the idea of it this year though. If trick or treating isn't banned, which it probably should be, I'm going to get a Cauldron and leave it outside with some bags of sweets in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

JDD wrote: »
    Not to be pernickity here, but how are children high risk carriers? There are conflicting studies so far, some saying that children are as likely to catch coronavirus, but less likely to pass it on. Other studies show they are just as likely as adults to pass it on. I haven't seen any studies to say that children are more likely to infect each other or adults, than adults are, thus making them "high risk" carriers? Perhaps there is something new out there?

If they are in school they are probably coming into closer contact with more people than your average adult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

If they are in school they are probably coming into closer contact with more people than your average adult

I suppose you could say they are more high risk because they have more close contacts. That's fair enough.

Even then I can't see how answering the door, with them outside, and popping a couple of bags of treats into their bags before closing the door again would really increase your chances of catching anything.

Of course maybe you are protecting the children from you - in case you have contaminated the treats you are giving out. I do think that's taking it a tad far, especially since NPHET came out and said there's no need to disinfect groceries. If I was really worried about that with my kids, I'd tell them that they can't open and eat anything while trick or treating, have to wash their hands when they get in, and I'd keep a few treats for them to have when they got home. The trick or treat loot can go on a shelf for two days and then any virus on the packaging dies. Job done.

Then again, if oohing over another scary clown outfit before the more...ahem...confident children grab the treats is not your idea of a fun evening at the best of times, maybe this year is a good year to sit it out. We never call at doors that aren't decorated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Our Kids won't be going Trick or Treating this year. We don't normally get many to our door. Not sure if I am on for it tbh. Won't decorate anyway.
    We were meant to be abroad but have cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere - I couldn't find a relevant thread.

The shops are stocking up with big tubs of Haribos and all sorts of other candy for trick-or-treaters at Halloween, but I wonder if we should expect trick-or-treating to go ahead this Halloween?

I suspect sharing sweets with kids coming to the door in costume might be a particularly handy way for the auld virus to get its way around a neighbourhood.

I reckon there might be some encouragement for the schools and creches to do the whole costume thing and maybe even a little party within their pods. I'm kinda hoping for it.

TBH it's not an occasion I particularly care for myself - never really a fan.

Any thoughts yourselves?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

It's usually a knackerfest around this way so I hope it's dialled back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I’m hoping to arrange a small trick or treating route among families from crèche. There’s a few within walking distance and they’re all in crèche together anyway so don’t see any added risk. Don’t think I’ll be doing general trick or treating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No it shouldn't be happening. Extremely low risk to catch in that way but it is possible. All social things like this should be cancelled at the moment.

I do feel sorry for kids but it's only sweets they will survive. I won't be answering the door this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

All the hotels who has guests booked, Halloween events on, now cancelled?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere - I couldn't find a relevant thread.

The shops are stocking up with big tubs of Haribos and all sorts of other candy for trick-or-treaters at Halloween, but I wonder if we should expect trick-or-treating to go ahead this Halloween?

I suspect sharing sweets with kids coming to the door in costume might be a particularly handy way for the auld virus to get its way around a neighbourhood.

I reckon there might be some encouragement for the schools and creches to do the whole costume thing and maybe even a little party within their pods. I'm kinda hoping for it.

TBH it's not an occasion I particularly care for myself - never really a fan.

Any thoughts yourselves?

I don't think Trick-or-Treatering will happen this year.

People will get sweets and do their own thing at home.

Relatives and family friends might drop a few bits off for kids as well. This can be done within your own county and people can wipe down packets, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

So what's going to happen halloween night? kids banging down the doors of elderly and immune-compromised people looking for sweets? I mean you can't "cancel" halloween but surely there's a common sense solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Don’t open the door. Simple

So what's going to happen halloween night? kids banging down the doors of elderly and immune-compromised people looking for sweets? I mean you can't "cancel" halloween but surely there's a common sense solution.

I'd say Halloween will be in fact cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You'd think they only bang on door with lights on and decorations up. Normally.

For Covid, they'll have to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do it social distancing get a large pole and bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Large 1980's size bonfires would keep Covid at bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Large 1980's size bonfires would keep Covid at bay

It's cancelled and moved to Belfast on 12th July with as you say huge 80's style bonfires.

Make sure you wear a Celtic shirt and bring a tricolour as you will be representing us her in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

There a shop near where I live and for the last month they had a display in the front window of loads of Halloween stuff for sale. On Friday it was all there, this Monday it was all gone. I am fairly sure they took down the display rather than that they sold all the items. It made me think Halloween is probably cancelled if a shop is expecting to sell so little of the stuff that the display made poor marketing sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

My kids are 7 and 4 and are so excited for Halloween.
    They have their costumes picked and we decorate the house like we do every year. They have been told that there will be no trick or treating this year apart from going to knock on their nana’s door and their childminder said for us to knock on her door!
    I don’t think Halloween needs to be canceled but the trick or treating to random houses should be.

I’ve seen something going around on social media comparing adults getting a McDonald’s drive through with kids calling to random houses....seriously. If people actually think this is a valid argument there’s no hope!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Halloween isn't cancelled, just different. We normally make a huge deal of Halloween, we go camping for the long weekend, do lots of spooky activities in the woods. Trick or Treating is organised on the campsite. Back home, we go to a number of Halloween events and parties throughout the week. Our area is great for trick-or-treating on the night. Obviously we'll do none of that this year but we'll still decorate the house, watch lots of spooky movies, get in lots of treats, dress up, cook spooky foods. We might visit one or two relatives/neighbours that we've prearranged calling to. And maybe do a walk/drive scavenger hunt where I'll give a treat for every witch decoration we see, or something like that. I've managed to find a Lego Scooby Doo Haunted Mansion set, so we're going to build that. And maybe make some spooky stop motion animations.

I've also never done the Switch Witch thing that some people do. But I'm going to this year. Not switching the sweets for a toy but because we've had to 'switch' our Halloween activities.

Advertisement