Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its not really a new concept . Way back fadó fadó in the 50’s and 60’s when I was a kid we went around the houses . We had a net shopping bag and “ Help the Halloween Party “ was our call
    We got fruit and nuts and the odd home made cake or bun .

I actually remember that phrase!
    A time when you got fruit and nuts and you ****ing needed a nut cracker to open them. Maybe 1 house out of 20 you would get a sweet treat, but that would be a chocolate apple, if you were early enough.
    I swear, I think the dentists hijacked Halloween to add in all the sweets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

gozunda wrote: »
    Right so. Was that the 1 year old in hospital 2 weeks ago with covid type symptoms

But your child was infected - by whom? Another child? i rest my case.

And no the findings on children and transmissions has not gone out of date btw. Plenty of schools now seeing rising rates of infections.

None of my children have been positive.
    The child I took a sweet from who was positive, was my friends child. Myself and my oldest children were close contacts. It was at the start of September. It is completely unknown where that child contacted covid because other than siblings had not been in any contact with other children and thought to have been infected in a shop or on public transport.

My 1 year old who was in hospital had Bronchiolitis, not covid. She wasn't even considered for Covid because she has not been outside the house only my back garden since a trip to the farm left her getting a covid test in August after not being out since March before that. Not everything is Covid! This is not my 1st Rodeo. I have seen bronchiolitis do this to my other children over the years. She got it after my Asthmatic son came home from school with a common cold. All the children caught the cold and the baby developed Bronchiolitis from it. As she did last year at 6 weeks old too. In fact she is on an inhalor now and Dr's think she is asthmatic although cannot diagnose at this age. Like I said not everything is Covid.

If your going to try read over my posts and try piece information together then you are going to look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Trick or treating is essentially young children going from door to door begging. It’s hardly something that should even be discussed as an issue in a pandemic. If it’s such a big deal that Halloween is celebrated, then organise family games such as bobbing for an apple in a basin or trying to bite an apple on a string (main two I remember from being a kid).

RTE are missing a trick though. I remember one Halloween in the mid 80s that RTE sold 3D glasses nationwide and had three 3D movies on Halloween. Best of them was the three stooges. Would have been some money spinner if they had done it this year. Was all a big con anyway as the glasses made no difference. But I suppose we were easily pleased.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055040694&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

joeguevara wrote: »
    Trick or treating is essentially young children going from door to door begging. It’s hardly something that should even be discussed as an issue in a pandemic. If it’s such a big deal that Halloween is celebrated, then organise family games such as bobbing for an apple in a basin or trying to bite an apple on a string (main two I remember from being a kid).

RTE are missing a trick though. I remember one Halloween in the mid 80s that RTE sold 3D glasses nationwide and had three 3D movies on Halloween. Best of them was the three stooges. Would have been some money spinner if they had done it this year. Was all a big con anyway as the glasses made no difference. But I suppose we were easily pleased.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055040694&page=2

What was the worst one, dare we ask?

People happy with RTE screening a movie already a half century old, simpler times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What was the worst one, dare we ask?

People happy with RTE screening a movie already a half century old, simpler times.

I’d still watch a three stooges or laurel and hardy film now.

I was a young kid then so slapstick humour rocked. Remember the last film was pretty boring. Have a vivid memory of a lamp being thrown was only 3D effect.

But honestly, it would be better than baking banana bread, listening to people boast about number of km run or zoom quizzes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I have young children, trick or treating aged children, but they won't be trick or treating this year ......... not because I think they are a huge risk of infecting, or being infected, by going door to door but because I think it sets a bad example to them if we blatantly break restrictions and show a lack of empathy to people who are genuinely concerned and/or are high risk in our community.

I also won't be answering the door to any trick or treaters, for the same reasons.
    I won't be hiding either ........ if the bell rings I'll give the parent(s) standing at the end of the driveway a death stare through the front window.

My kids will be dressing up at home, we'll take pictures, play games, let them eat sweets, have a party, make video calls to their Grandparents and Cousins etc. ......... they'll be happy and that's Halloween 2020 done and dusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I have young children, trick or treating aged children, but they won't be trick or treating this year ......... not because I think they are a huge risk of infecting, or being infected, by going door to door but because I think it sets a bad example to them if we blatantly break restrictions and show a lack of empathy to people who are genuinely concerned and/or are high risk in our community.

I also won't be answering the door to any trick or treaters, for the same reasons.
    I won't be hiding either ........ if the bell rings I'll give the parent(s) standing at the end of the driveway a death stare through the front window.

My kids will be dressing up at home, we'll take pictures, play games, let them eat sweets, have a party, make video calls to their Grandparents and Cousins etc. ......... they'll be happy and that's Halloween 2020 done and dusted!
    That's it in a nutshell. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Haha is there a need for the death stare?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Likewise. We thought that we could hold some sort of socially distanced event but thought that had too many risks and abandoned the idea. Then we thought our lad could do a sleepover but we've shelved that until it's allowed to have people over.
    It's one Halloween, the kids can still have fun if the parents are imaginative enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

None of my children have been positive.
    The child I took a sweet from who was positive, was my friends child. Myself and my oldest children were close contacts. It was at the start of September. It is completely unknown where that child contacted covid because other than siblings had not been in any contact with other children and thought to have been infected in a shop or on public transport.

My 1 year old who was in hospital had Bronchiolitis, not covid. She wasn't even considered for Covid because she has not been outside the house only my back garden since a trip to the farm left her getting a covid test in August after not being out since March before that. Not everything is Covid! This is not my 1st Rodeo. I have seen bronchiolitis do this to my other children over the years. She got it after my Asthmatic son came home from school with a common cold. All the children caught the cold and the baby developed Bronchiolitis from it. As she did last year at 6 weeks old too. In fact she is on an inhalor now and Dr's think she is asthmatic although cannot diagnose at this age. Like I said not everything is Covid. If your going to try read over my posts and try piece information together then you are going to look silly.

I do have to ask why you decided to eat a sweet that had been in a child's mouth? A child which you've stated wasn't yours. Would the fact that you said that the next day the child tested positive not indicate that this type of behaviour maybe wasn't a particularly a good idea?

Btw I came across your other comment separately where you mentioned covid . Thought there was a possible connection. Glad none of your children have tested positive btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Well, looks like we won't be having our hallowe'en parade in the green area. Ah well.

We are going to do the hallowe'en picture hunt through the estate though. That way the kids will be out in their costumes and they'll see the other kids out on the picture hunt too, so there'll still be a bit of atmosphere. I'll keep a big tray out with bags of sweets and hubby will refill as the night goes on. Perfectly safe, and complying with the Level 5 restrictions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We're new to our neighbourhood (literally moved in a couple of weeks ago!) and have put up a few Halloween decorations. There definitely are some kids in the street and some neighbours have gone all out with the decorations. I'm still not sure if we should expect trick or treaters though? I don't know the neighbours yet and obviously won't be knocking on any doors to ask what the parents plan to do.

I'm happy to leave some treats on the doorstep for people to help themselves. What's reasonable these days though? We've lived in an apartment for years so feel like this is our first "real" Halloween as adults. I've seen some people here talking about making up actual bags of sweets to leave out :eek: I was just thinking some funsized bars. Or is that stingy? Maybe I'm showing my age here, but a fun sized bar of chocolate would've been a jackpot back in my day :P

I also don't want to be wasting money and be left with tons of sweets if nobody comes by this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

woodchuck, I totally agree, a funsize bar was the jackpot back in my day too. Certainly better than the apples and monkey nuts you would always get!

The only reason we make up bags (we put in a funsize bar, a little bag of jellies and a lollipop) is that trick or treaters tend to go around with their friends a lot more then we used to do as kids. I normally went with my two older brothers. It just makes sure that the kid at the back who is too shy to push through the scrum gets the same as the *jazz hands!!* kid at the front. Plus it's a good activity to do with your own kids the day before Hallowe'en.

I'd say everyone who has decided to give out sweets will be putting them outside the door this year. Just get loads of Freddos. Everyone loves a Freddo.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A bowl of fun size stuff from Lidl is fine. We do party bags mainly so all of them get the same and there's no big kid grabbing it all. But this year we aren't putting decorations outside so won't get callers.

Thanks guys! I've picked up some fun sized mars bars, milky ways and kitkats. Figure they're a safe enough bet! We'll just leave them all in a bowl outside for people to help themselves (just hope it won't be raining...). Not going to know/care if anyone takes more than their share :P The little bags are a good idea under normal circumstances, but don't want to go to the trouble if nobody comes. Worse case scenario, they're all things I'd eat myself eventually and/or set aside for Christmas. I just didn't want to be getting loads of jellies, lollies etc as I'd never eat them all!!

I used to like getting monkey nuts, guessing they're not very popular anymore :P

Nut allergies are a minefield. And kids are distinctly unimpressed with fruit as well. Quelle surprise :D

Neyite wrote: »
    Nut allergies are a minefield. And kids are distinctly unimpressed with fruit as well. Quelle surprise :D

Ah, the allergies make sense I suppose.

I was never too impressed by the shriveled up old apples we used to get to be fair :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

With Level 5 restrictions not allowing anybody to visit other homes or gardens, does that now mean Halloween is cancelled?

If its not, how can it go ahead?

Should I start eating all the sweets I bought myself? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Trick or Treating was never going to happen. How are you only thinking about it now? I told my 6 year old kid this back in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I live in a small estate and the Whats App group has been active with some ideas.

One idea is that the kids trick or treat in our estate alone. It's very small, only approx 40 houses and on a cul-de-sac off a main road so remote enough.

They're going to get a count of how many kids there are and leave a basket at the end of the garden with individual bags of sweets, along with some hand sanitiser. Each house is doing the same thing.

It should allow the kids to trick or treat safely.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Of course it's not, don't be daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I live in a small estate and the Whats App group has been active with some ideas.

One idea is that the kids trick or treat in our estate alone. It's very small, only approx 40 houses and on a cul-de-sac off a main road so remote enough.

We're going to get a count of how many kids there are and leave a basket at the end of the garden with individual bags of sweets, along with some hand sanitiser. Each house is doing the same thing.

Tell them not to throw the hand sanitiser on the bonfire......

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

it had better not be cancelled! I've been working on my George Lee costume for over a week now- gonna frighten the ****e out of people!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MrStuffins wrote: »

We're going to get a count of how many kids there are and leave a basket at the end of the garden with individual bags of sweets, along with some hand sanitiser. Each house is doing the same thing.

So essentially every parent buys 40 bags of sweets and gives it to all the kids, and all it takes is for one of the parents to have Covid then all the kids have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It just seems mad to me to want to let kids go trick or treating at the moment. Surely there must be other ways to enjoy Halloween for this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Quazzie wrote: »
    So essentially every parent buys 40 bags of sweets and gives it to all the kids, and all it takes is for one of the parents to have Covid then all the kids have it.

Or one fat cunt to grab more than one bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It shouldn't happen. I have a child who is disappointed about it but he'll be fine, its one night and it won't kill him to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Quazzie wrote: »

Not if everything is sanitised properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ive seen one place propose a pumpkin hunt - where they go around the estate looking for pictures of pumpkins, parents could have some "prize" back at the house or whatever. All non-contact and something to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I can't believe this is still being asked.

No trick or treating. You are not allowed to have visitors. Doesn't matter what you sanitize or what excuses you make.

All the blame going to house parties and the GAA but no mention of stupid entitled parents who think they are special.

Advertisement