Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JohnW2008

Fitz II wrote: »
    I have been informed for a non preferred client your looking 2-3 years. Honestly you would be better off paying the gray market premium and getting the watch, it will be worth more than you pay when you sell it.

Ah thanks for getting back to me - I was obviously a bit naive in thinking it would be less. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I have been informed for a non preferred client your looking 2-3 years. Honestly you would be better off paying the gray market premium and getting the watch, it will be worth more than you pay when you sell it.

There’s one on adverts for €10 k at the moment which seems a reasonable price when you take into account the way the market is at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

scwazrh wrote: »
    There’s one on adverts for €10 k at the moment which seems a reasonable price when you take into account the way the market is at the moment

Your money is safe in a sub. 10k is a bit steep but not far off. Dont know that its the new 41mm model though.

Dont know that a no date sub is worth that money as a watch. I would go for a 14060 or 14060m, 6-7k and tipped to be a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Your money is safe in a sub. 10k is a bit steep but not far off. Dont know that its the new 41mm model though.

Dont know that a no date sub is worth that money as a watch. I would go for a 14060 or 14060m, 6-7k and tipped to be a classic.

Is the m the pre ceramic model and the 14060 the one before that? I’ve heard the straps are not great on the older subs?

scwazrh wrote: »
    Is the m the pre ceramic model and the 14060 the one before that? I’ve heard the straps are not great on the older subs?

They are both pre ceramic the m version just having an updated movement. The bracelets are folded end links, but I didn't really have any issue with them, very comfortable but yes the new bracelet is superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I have been informed for a non preferred client your looking 2-3 years.

I'd say that's optimistic. If the economic climate doesn't change for the worse drastically, I'd say you will never get it from being on the waiting list without spending any money in the AD. Forget about it. And that's coming from me. I'm on the waiting list myself for a no date sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    I'm on the waiting list myself for a no date sub.

Me too, but only for the last 6 months or so. I'm actually not expecting to get one at all because the acquaintance I have working in Keanes keeps trying to sell me other stuff instead.
    Can easily see it being another 2yrs TBH.

I'm also not sure if I want it in 41, but then if I get the call I know I'd likely buy and flip it at some point.
    I'd really want it to be a keeper, but the truth is if one gets stuck for cash.
    It'd be the easiest to liquidate.

banie01 wrote: »
    Me too, but only for the last 6 months or so. I'm actually not expecting to get one at all because the acquaintance I have working in Keanes keeps trying to sell me other stuff instead.
    Can easily see it being another 2yrs TBH.

I'm also not sure if I want it in 41, but then if I get the call I know I'd likely buy and flip it at some point.
    I'd really want it to be a keeper, but the truth is if one gets stuck for cash.
    It'd be the easiest to liquidate.

The actual dimension of the new one is only 0.3mm wider in diameter its almost impossible to tell and the lug slimming offsets this miniscule change anyway. Its basically free money, buy and flip if you dont want it make at least a grand. As much as its frustrating being a customer, imaging holding a Rolex AD and not having the stock people want. Shipment after shipment its all 30k precious metal and two tone datejust....nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

The actual dimension of the new one is only 0.3mm wider in diameter its almost impossible to tell and the lug slimming offsets this miniscule change anyway. Its basically free money, buy and flip if you dont want it make at least a grand. As much as its frustrating being a customer, imaging holding a Rolex AD and not having the stock people want. Shipment after shipment its all 30k precious metal and two tone datejust....nightmare.

I can't image it being _that bad_. I mean Rolex HQ play the game and they can't expect ADs to hold a bucket of unwanted stock.

I guess that while the pro watches are most in demand. There is probably a healthy market for the precious metal stuff too. The number of ADs in a geographic areas will be proportional to the economy/population and they only need a handful of wealthy clients to keep them in the black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

If you make it to my age you're automatically put on the grim reaper watch list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for that Fitz, I honestly had no clue as to comparative size but that kinda settles it should I ever get the call ;)

If you make it to my age you're automatically put on the grim reaper watch list.

Relax man, there's no way he wants you as much as we all want our Rolex :pac:

Thanks for that Fitz, I honestly had no clue as to comparative size but that kinda settles it should I ever get the call ;)

"You never actually own a Rolex you just keep your place on the list for the next generation"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fitz is correct about this. But funnily enough, while the new sub is a touch bigger than the outgoing ceramic model and looks largely the same - the first version of the Sub C is 40mm like the older ones, but wears much bigger because of the maxi-case.

Most purists probably think the proportions of the previous models is better, which I understand. But it does feel smaller, and I found the bracelet did not feel at all premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

This is why AD’s try and “bundle” the in demand models with higher margin items such as jewellery or try and sell you an Omega or Breitling.

Rolex is laughing. They sell 100% of production every year. It must be some pain in the hole for an AD to get a load of PM models and try and shift them.Can you really blame a AD trying to score a few extra euro by trying to peddle other stuff to customers in order to get them access to the in demand models. According to rolexforums AD’s must accept what their given in their Rolex shipments and if they don’t like it they can take a hike.

If you are an AD and get 1 sub and 10 Lady-Datejusts/Cellini/DayDates unless you’re in an affluent area I don’t think your gonna shift the latter too easily and the bills have to be paid so I can see why they play the bundling game.

Saying that I saw a yellow gold day/date in Keanes a few weeks ago and if I had the money I’d be all over it. I know a lot of people don’t like it but I think it’s a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This is why AD’s try and “bundle” the in demand models with higher margin items such as jewellery or try and sell you an Omega or Breitling.

Rolex is laughing. They sell 100% of production every year. It must be some pain in the hole for an AD to get a load of PM models and try and shift them.Can you really blame a AD trying to score a few extra euro by trying to peddle other stuff to customers in order to get them access to the in demand models. According to rolexforums AD’s must accept what their given in their Rolex shipments and if they don’t like it they can take a hike.

If you are an AD and get 1 sub and 10 Lady-Datejusts/Cellini/DayDates unless you’re in an affluent area I don’t think your gonna shift the latter too easily and the bills have to be paid so I can see why they play the bundling game.

Saying that I saw a yellow gold day/date in Keanes a few weeks ago and if I had the money I’d be all over it. I know a lot of people don’t like it but I think it’s a classic.

yellow gold day date is very nice, retail on the current model is :eek:

I would be into that....its a endgame watch. Say what you want about it, a gold day/date is a heavy hitter.

I would be into that....its a endgame watch. Say what you want about it, a gold day/date is a heavy hitter.

When you think about it a day/date is retailing at about 34k and your literally getting a lump of gold , maybe not 34k worth of gold but probably 10k of gold. This watch’s value is less second hand than its retail price even though its components have a quantifiable value i.e the price of gold.

Contrast that with a new submariner with a retail price of circa 9k whose components have little to no quantifiable value but could be sold on the secondary market for anything up to double retail.

I just think there’s no logic at play regarding Rolex at the moment.

Seen a nice 36 mm day date in the uk on a leather strap for 7k I have to admit I was tempted. It was mint with b&p, new bracelet from Rolex I believe is 8k. Was gonna buy the watch and hold off on the bracelet for a couple of years but I mentioned it to the Mrs. The look I got was all the answer I needed!!!

When you think about it a day/date is retailing at about 34k and your literally getting a lump of gold , maybe not 34k worth of gold but probably 10k of gold. This watch’s value is less second hand than its retail price even though its components have a quantifiable value i.e the price of gold.

Contrast that with a new submariner with a retail price of circa 9k whose components have little to no quantifiable value but could be sold on the secondary market for anything up to double retail.

there was a period where you could get a white gold daytona near enough the price of a s/s one, thats gone now, but the price differential isnt as high as it should be.

Eoin wrote: »
    Fitz is correct about this. But funnily enough, while the new sub is a touch bigger than the outgoing ceramic model and looks largely the same - the first version of the Sub C is 40mm like the older ones, but wears much bigger because of the maxi-case.

Most purists probably think the proportions of the previous models is better, which I understand. But it does feel smaller, and I found the bracelet did not feel at all premium.

Not so sure about any of that from the side-by-side reviews I have seen, the newer model looks substantially bigger, but as in more watch and less case

The old maxi case looks overwhelming I feel unless you have a large (>=7.5") wrist

A great improvement of the new model is going from 20 to 21mm lug width. Should have been 22mm but hey, maybe in 2030 :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    A great improvement of the new model is going from 20 to 21mm lug width.

Agreed - certainly helped the proportions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Seen a nice 36 mm day date in the uk on a leather strap for 7k I have to admit I was tempted. It was mint with b&p, new bracelet from Rolex I believe is 8k. Was gonna buy the watch and hold off on the bracelet for a couple of years but I mentioned it to the Mrs. The look I got was all the answer I needed!!!

I remember doing a little googling on how much gold is in a gold Rolex. Decent rule of thumb at the time seemed 10 percent! I.e a 40k watch would have circa 4k gold.

Frightening!

893bet wrote: »
    I remember doing a little googling on how much gold is in a gold Rolex. Decent rule of thumb at the time seemed 10 percent! I.e a 40k watch would have circa 4k gold.

Frightening!

Done a little research.

The best answer I can get regarding the weight of a yellow gold Day/Date 40 is 205g to 220g depending on how many links so let’s take the midpoint of 213g

At yesterday’s close of the markets gold was €52.19 per gram giving the scrap value of a Day/Date 40 of €11116.47.

Done a little research.

The best answer I can get regarding the weight of a yellow gold Day/Date 40 is 205g to 220g depending on how many links so let’s take the midpoint of 213g

At yesterday’s close of the markets gold was €52.19 per gram giving the scrap value of a Day/Date 40 of €11116.47.

Suspect that weight included the movement weight and crystal. I would be surprised if it was that high of an intrinsic value to be honest.

893bet wrote: »
    Suspect that weight included the movement weight and crystal. I would be surprised if it was that high of an intrinsic value to be honest.

I’d say you’d struggle to get even half that that if selling for scrap gold, still though it beats the scrap value of the stainless steel and has some intrinsic value no matter how fashions rise and fall.

Someday maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Done a little research.

Figures are a bit out. Remember watches aren’t 24k gold. Edit. Also worth tracking the historical price of gold vs the selling price of a day date. I suspect it won’t be too far back before you hit that 10%.

Figures are a bit out. Remember watches aren’t 24k gold. Edit. Also worth tracking the historical price of gold vs the selling price of a day date. I suspect it won’t be too far back before you hit that 10%.

Good point. Think the Rolex are 18k? So 39 a gram. So lose 25percent. Plus the weight of the movement and sapphire to also come off. Gets low very fast.

Eitherway, never in a million years will one be scrapped like this so it’s all academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DPG

Does anyone know if the wait list for a regular platinum Daytona or one with diamond markers would be similar to that of the stainless steel in Weirs? I have absolutely no relationship with Weirs so expecting my chances are slim to none of acquiring one.

My father purchased a gold day date with black face and diamond numbers from them in the mid 90s so hoping that might count for something.

• Advertisement

DPG wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the wait list for a regular platinum Daytona or one with diamond markers would be similar to that of the stainless steel in Weirs? I have absolutely no relationship with Weirs so expecting my chances are slim to none of acquiring one.

My father purchased a gold day date with black face and diamond numbers from them in the mid 90s so hoping that might count for something.

I’d imagine a platinum or diamond marker Daytona is a lot easier to get as demand is a lot lower. I’d want preferred treatment on a stainless steel model if i was paying for a platinum.

Advertisement