Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm not getting the point tbh :pac::pac: I'm at that age where I tune out what others think. I have an aunt that has a great trick, she'll agree with absolutely anything but she'll do what she wants herself, it sends a message once you figure it out. I was looking at the horses for their talents on what would be dangerous ground for machinery around my own farm. They're a lot more stable, pardon the pun. They'd also be a nice traditional element for the farm, an asset in itself.

Cross a Spanish Jack on a nice hairy Blagdon mare.

Best of luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

NcdJd wrote: »
    It's my best find of 2020. I'm always looking around for clay pipes and bits of plates. I'm easily amused ha

Old musket ball In the photo as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    I worked horses up to my late teens, nearly the last in the country to get a tractor ....... or so it felt

Ha - my grandfather worked with a horse til I was in my early teens... and I’m a bit younger than you wrangler...

I liked the horse but hated that we were so backward that we still worked with a horse - like that, I wished we had a big tractor like everyone else...

Have forgotten all that went along with me now, to tackle em up and all that - and funnily would love to have a horse and be able to work with one now... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm not getting the point tbh :pac::pac: I'm at that age where I tune out what others think. I have an aunt that has a great trick, she'll agree with absolutely anything but she'll do what she wants herself, it sends a message once you figure it out. I was looking at the horses for their talents on what would be dangerous ground for machinery around my own farm. They're a lot more stable, pardon the pun. They'd also be a nice traditional element for the farm, an asset in itself.

When I was about 10, we reclaimed ground and I was told it was too high for a tractor - so all the work was done with the horse...
    It seemed like we spent the summer harrowing it pulling up clumps of black fern roots with a spring harrow... (It was probably less than a week harrowing really)
    Spread rape seed with a bucket...
    Harrow with a pin harrow...
    Roll with the horse - rolling with a horse in hilly ground is a skill... I wasn’t allowed so that, with good reason :)

Nothing that we used was sold - spring harrow, pin harrow, roller... bit they’re all gone now... left in ditches or corners of fields til they eventually rusted or rotted into the ground... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »
    One of the big Draught or Irish Shire breeds - we still had them doing work on my Mothers place well into the 70's, happy simpler times they were and loved helping out during harvest and hay season as a young lad:)

My g.grandfather ran a team of Clyde crosses. Have a bit from the bridle of one. You could nearly use it as a belt.

One famous Irish Plough horse who originally came from Donegal - was "Master Robert" who went on to win the 1924 Grand National.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/the-grand-national-1924/query/1924+Aintree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭older by the day

My father tells me about the conditions the logging horses lived under and only surviving on the bit of grass, tied next to the trees. He said it was absolute cruelty.
    It's amusing now that the current generation look through rose tinted nostalgic glasses when logging horses are thought of. And some who'd condemn horse racing would like the idea of horse logging.
    It's based on what your experience is probably though.
    My father used to tell me how a neighbour killed his horse long ago pulling a plough. His grand children now are killing tractors. Rough genes. But yes, a lot of horses had a tough live. Did ye ever watch black beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I can remember vividly a few horses bringing the milk churns to the cremerary up to 1988 even more donkeys doing this job for smaller suppliers .My father in law remember him saying he did not get the 35x until 1979 and he had up to 16 cows

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Plough horses were much of a muchness back then, bit of heinz 57 about them.
    Have a shoe here from the old farm my Great grandfather came from, we used to put it under a clocking hen in thunder (hen sitting on eggs Say My Name:p)

What's this now with the clocking hen and horseshoe in thunder?
    I was always told thunder ruins the eggs.
    I've hatched enough now though to know that it makes not the slightest bit of difference.
    I have a dim memory of my granny doing something similar but it's dim an distant!

My father used to tell me how a neighbour killed his horse long ago pulling a plough. His grand children now are killing tractors. Rough genes. But yes, a lot of horses had a tough live. Did ye ever watch black beauty

There was a chestnut mare in that.
    Can't remember the name.

Sure it's how the spca started up in England with carriage horses.

War horse was another good one.

All the proper working horses are gone out of this country.
    Even the big 16.3 piebald caravan pullers are no more. It's only runts of things bred now. The work is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Think war horse is a great film. Kids did it in school and went to see it in bord gais energy theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Danzy wrote: »
    Old musket ball In the photo as well

I think it's out of an old kettle Danzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think it's out of an old kettle Danzy.

Shot in to an old kettle?

😉

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nearly up to chit chat 11. 100,000 posts of chit chat

whelan2 wrote: »
    Nearly up to chit chat 11. 100,000 posts of chit chat

Ye are some yappers in here ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ye are some yappers in here ha
    That's what I enjoy about F&F.

We talk, we ask, we advise, we console and most importantly we have a laugh :)

Base price wrote: »
    That's what I enjoy about F&F.

We talk, we ask, we advise, we console and most importantly we have a laugh :)

I've only been here a short time and probably come across as a pain in the hole but have to say a great bunch of people here. Very different to some of the other forums here and have to say learn something new everyday when I log in. Some very interesting stuff talked about on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've only been here a short time and probably come across as a pain in the hole but have to say a great bunch of people here. Very different to some of the other forums here and have to say learn something new everyday when I log in. Some very interesting stuff talked about on here.
    It's a nice place but I should have added that some of us also argue and have pretty heated debates at times to the point where the Mods would close or suspend a thread. Wrangler and I have had a few kick about's over the years but we don't take it personally.

It's a nice place but I should have added that some of us also argue and have pretty heated debates at times to the point where the Mods would close or suspend a thread. Wrangler and I have had a few kick about's over the years but we don't take it personally.

I suppose if everyone had the same view/outlook on things there wouldn't be a need for a discussion forum :)

I sometimes get so wound up in my view point on something I can't see the wood from the trees. Nice to have an alternate view being put to you. Makes you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see reports in AH that Fungi has died. He's missing for 2 days now so I hope he's only gone for a short holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

In fairness Base, yourself, Wangler and Albert come across as 3 very knowledgeable contributors that I know I for 1 can learn from, so thank you for your contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see reports in AH that Fungi has died. He's missing for 2 days now so I hope he's only gone for a short holiday.

Maybe he's gone up to Monaghan for the match??:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

According to one report aired on RTE - fungi has been upset about the lack of boats and visitors visiting him. Maybe he's headed off for his retirement somewhere nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    What I find hard to understand is when you are meeting cars, some people seem like they would prefer crash into a tractor then keep close to the ditch when they are meeting you.

I'm currently cutting hedges on a green way atm and you should see the craic I'm having with walkers and cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Wrangler and everybody have had a few, but that is because group think doesn't prevail on here. That is the beauty of this place. You can argue all day with a poster and the next time you want advice, chances are that same poster will be giving sound advice.
    I put up a thread about zero grazing recently and had I gone to a discussion group meeting I would not have gotten as much advice. All different viewpoints and none of them wrong, just different approaches to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    Wrangler and everybody have had a few, but that is because group think doesn't prevail on here. That is the beauty of this place. You can argue all day with a poster and the next time you want advice, chances are that same poster will be giving sound advice.
    I put up a thread about zero grazing recently and had I gone to a discussion group meeting I would not have gotten as much advice. All different viewpoints and none of them wrong, just different approaches to consider.

It'd be pretty dull here if we all agreed all the time.
    There's a huge amount of experience on here and any advice given would be because people done it on their own farm which'd be way ahead of any teagasc/consultant.

Apparently Fungi has been seen twice in the last 24 hours so he's just playing hard to get.

Apparently Fungi has been seen twice in the last 24 hours so he's just playing hard to get.

You'd think it would have a satellite tracker on it at this stage so they know where it is. Bad enough losing flipper..

The swim is good for your health Buford.
    Good for you..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'm currently cutting hedges on a green way atm and you should see the craic I'm having with walkers and cyclists
    O I i feel your pain, I travel a section of dual carriageway with no hard shoulder on it and 2 roundabouts regular with the tractor, I hate seeing cyclists on it as you wouldn't have a clue what they will do. Over take / undertake you going down a hill, hold on to or tuck in behind you going up the hills s you can't see them in the mirrors and they never stop coming on to the roundabouts always just glide out into the oncoming traffic, needless to say my language from the cab of the tractor to them at times can be colorful.

• Advertisement

The swim is good for your health Buford.
    Good for you..:p

I'm getting too old for playing hide-and-go-seek with dolphins:mad::D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement